Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Stepmania
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-1-2007, 11:18 AM   #1
FlameHaze
FFR Player

Default The pentegon?

The petagon on the left side of stepmania when ur picking a song. I was wondering what does each point stand for?
Like what does Stream, Voltage, air, Freeze, and Chaos stand for
FlameHaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-1-2007, 11:24 AM   #2
x velo x
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to x velo x
Default Re: The pentegon?

Air: The Air rating is how many jumps the song has; how much 'air' you catch during it. Density and difficulty of the jumps don't matter, it's just a case of how many there are through the whole song.
An example would be Max300 (Super Max-Me-Mix) challenge, where there are a few long sections full of jumps, which boosts it's rating quite a lot.

Chaos: Chaos is literally how chaotic and without order the arrows become. A song with high Chaos means you can expect lots of offbeat rhythm, 12ths, 24ths and 32nds, and if you play using the Note or Solo modifiers, plenty of yellow, green and purple.
An example of Chaos would obviously be bag. Lots of 12ths and 24ths without many quarter notes to tell where one bar ends and another begins. Chaos is the most difficult challenge for 1x sightreading.

Freeze: Freeze is the amount of Freeze arrows in a song, simple as that. If a song has a lot of Freezes, it will be high on this stat. It seems to be the amount of freeze arrows, so a song with many short ones will have a higher Freeze rating than one with a few long freezes.
Examples would be MaxX Unlimited and Max300(Super Max-Me-Mix) as they both have sections with a lot of freeze arrows one after another, boosting their rating.

Stream: Stream is another simple one. When a song has a lot of 8ths one after the other, most people call it a stream. This is what the Stream rating refers to. Unlike Freeze, long, unbroken streams get higher ratings than smaller but more numerous ones. I'm not 100% sure so PM me a correction if I'm wrong, but 16th 'stream' does not apply, if it is the most dense part of a song, which 16th stream usually is, it becomes the Voltage.
An example of high Stream would be any Max song on expert, though the higest Stream rating goes to Jam Jam Reggae (AM Swing Mix) doubles Expert, which is 8th stream all the way through with no breaks whatsoever.

Voltage: The peak density of steps in a song. It doesn't matter how hard a song is all the way through, because it's only the peak density that applies to Voltage, but if there is at least one section where the arrows are very bunched together, i.e 16ths for more than a few arrows, Voltage rises.
An example of Voltage would be the ending of Xepher challenge. Obviously you can only tell Voltage on 1x scroll, as speeding it up decreases the density of the arrows, but the last rolls and gallops are very clumped together and difficult to read and hit accurately.
Think of Voltage like being between Stream and Chaos.

x VELO x
Former Username: alexepstein
Member for: 0.81 years... not very long
x velo x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-1-2007, 12:51 PM   #3
FlameHaze
FFR Player

well thx but can u explain air and stream in simpilr words. I dont understand what ur saying because im too noob>< dont know wat it means
Old 04-1-2007, 01:09 PM   #4
inflames07
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to inflames07

Jumps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewpinthethird View Post
Sex kills time and it's free.

Instead of taking her out to a movie and buying her popcorn, bend her over the arm of a couch. It's very economical. Just make sure you are using the proper protection, because then it can become VERY, VERY GOD DAMN UNECONOMICAL if she pops a baby 9 months down the road.
inflames07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-1-2007, 02:08 PM   #5
wickedawesomeful
Carls, Girls, & Drugs
FFR Music Producer

Send a message via AIM to wickedawesomeful

Don't listen to them. The pentagon is a Satanic reference. It means that StepMania is part of a Satanic ritual. Stop playing it, you could accidentally summon demons.
Old 04-1-2007, 03:43 PM   #6
SulferDragon
this is a waste of space
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to SulferDragon

Why hasn't anyone mentioned that it's also called the "Groove Radar?"

SulferDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-1-2007, 04:22 PM   #7
Nick_S_199
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to Nick_S_199

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedawesomeful View Post
Don't listen to them. The pentagon is a Satanic reference. It means that StepMania is part of a Satanic ritual. Stop playing it, you could accidentally summon demons.
You just made my day, and possibly my siggy...
Nick_S_199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-1-2007, 04:23 PM   #8
Engler
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedawesomeful View Post
I lold.
Old 04-1-2007, 05:05 PM   #9
FlameHaze
FFR Player

-.- never knew it calle the groove radar but lets get back to the topic can someone put the different types in simpilar words plz
Old 04-1-2007, 05:15 PM   #10
Relambrien
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Relambrien Send a message via MSN to Relambrien

Air:
The more steps where you have to press more than one arrow at once, the higher this is.

Chaos: The stranger the steps are, the higher this is. If you have a lot of weird notes in different directions as opposed to just one or types in predictable directions, you get high Chaos.

Freeze: The more freeze arrows, the higher this is.

Stream: The more eighth notes in a row, the higher this is. If you have a song consisting entirely of eighth notes, that's as high as you can get it.

Voltage: How close the arrows are at their densest point. If you have a set of six 16ths somewhere, even if the rest is quarters, you'll get high Voltage.
Relambrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-1-2007, 05:18 PM   #11
Engler
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameHaze View Post
-.- never knew it calle the groove radar but lets get back to the topic can someone put the different types in simpilar words plz
yees ande pleeese telle mee whhere thea ggramner thrhead iss. annd hhow too Tipe thrrred.