Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Video Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-8-2007, 09:30 PM   #1
Omeganitros
auauauau
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Omeganitros
Default Supreme Commander Demo is out.

I have a massive erection just at the thought of playing this game. Everyone go download the demo now.
Omeganitros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-8-2007, 09:50 PM   #2
ToshX
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Default Re: Supreme Commander Demo is out.

http://www.fileplanet.com/168862/160...Commander-Demo

EDIT: xTosHx1337: man
xTosHx1337: 1,071MB

Still downloading it.

Last edited by ToshX; 02-8-2007 at 09:54 PM..
ToshX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-9-2007, 06:47 PM   #3
evilbutterfly
FFR Player

GAH IF ONLY I WASN'T DOING HOMEWORK!!! >___<

What all do you get in the demo? Is it like 3 levels and you only get to use 1/10 of the actual units, or what? I can't remember the last time I played a demo of a RTS game. o___O

In less-depressing news, I got a job for an online business (which sells non-electronic games, of all things!) which has taught me a lot about marketing online and all that jazz.

So now I'm on Twitter @NoahWright.
And I write the blog for their website.

Plus I do cool programming in-house that you'll never see. =O
evilbutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 11:15 PM   #4
evilbutterfly
FFR Player

rofl double post

So I played the demo. Maybe it's just because I can only play the one skirmish map, but I imagine I'd get bored with it pretty quick. There's only so much you can do in a game, and it's so slow-paced. I tend to like somewhat faster RTS games. I mean, maybe in the full version there will be options to speed things up (like how you can turn on infinite resources in Rise of Nations and change the overall build speed so that everything is instant), but in the demo it's pretty frustrating when I just want to nuke the mother ****ers and it takes half an hour to build a nuke silo. And then I get all excited cuz I can nuke them, BUT OH WAIT I HAVE TO SPEND TEN MORE MINUTES BUILDING A NUKE. Just now I spent so long building a bunch of those walking ships so that I could march up and watch the magic, but then the idiot computer decided to march his supreme commander thing at me and the 20 artillery cannons I set up as defense dominated his ass and ended the game before I wanted it to end.

>=(

The game is pretty cool, though, it's just sooooo sloooow. Maybe online in a 2v2 (allied with somebody you know) it'd be more fun, but the same old map over and over in the demo is kinda gay. I will say, though, that hard is actually pretty hard and medium is, well, not hard. I didn't even try easy, but I bet it's piss poor. I <3 game designers who make actually varied difficulties. =)

In less-depressing news, I got a job for an online business (which sells non-electronic games, of all things!) which has taught me a lot about marketing online and all that jazz.

Old 02-12-2007, 08:08 AM   #5
Omeganitros
auauauau
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Omeganitros

I believe you can speed up the building process with a bunch of engineers.
Omeganitros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 11:12 AM   #6
ToshX
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

It won't even install properly on my computer, so I can't play it.

:/

To be specific, it brings up some crap about the validity of my Windows XP and says this thing I'm trying to install may harm my system. Never in hundreds of games have I ever gotten something like this.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:50 PM   #7
evilbutterfly
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omeganitros View Post
I believe you can speed up the building process with a bunch of engineers.
That severely drains your resources. Every engineer working on something makes it use additional resources per second (I don't think it changes the final cost, but rate is more important than final numbers in this game). On the small map in the demo where there are only like 15 mass collecting points, I don't have the resources to assign more than maybe 6-7 engineers on a missile silo. I haven't been able to actually complete a silo AND nuke in a game. I've built tons of artillery cannons, which can be good and bad. I built some on a lower piece of land and they ended up killing all my guys in front of them because they fire at a low angle. =\

Shield generators + artillery is my favorite attack, though. I only use actual units to defend the area while I'm setting up the shield and first few artillery guns. After that I don't need any help to keep that stuff going, they just bombard everything.

Tosh: Maybe you need to update windows because it's a new game. This includes getting the "is my windows not bootleg!?" thing, given the error about your validity. Maybe you can't play it on bootleg windows. =O!!!

Old 02-12-2007, 02:43 PM   #8
ToshX
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

My Windows version is the most recent and it is valid, and purchased from a well known manufacturer. That's the problem right there, it's giving me the wrong message or giving it by mistake.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:29 PM   #9
evilbutterfly
FFR Player

Well then Tosh, I dunno what the problem could be.

Anywho, I figured out how to build experimental units. Good lord the rapid fire artillery is ridiculous. I've grown to be quite the artillery lover anyway, but this **** was ridiculous. I got two and my power started going low (it was +23k before they started firing) and before I could stat building power plants I had completely destroyed the enemy. o_____O

Old 02-13-2007, 11:32 PM   #10
JKPolk
tool

Send a message via AIM to JKPolk Send a message via Skype™ to JKPolk

I couldn't seem to enjoy the beta, has the game changed much since then? The units all felt so unresponsive.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:03 PM   #11
evilbutterfly
FFR Player

I didn't play the beta, so I couldn't tell you, but I wouldn't say they feel unresponsive. It's more that the game is just so slow and tries to be realistic, so the units are generally slow (especially while turning, JEEZ). Then again, the majority of my orders are through waypoints (btw, I love being able to draw lines of buildings so I don't have to click individually for each one), which they respond to right away.

I have hit a few issues, though. I told my guys to build a few of those spider walker things, and after the first was done it got stuck in the other one that was being built. I had told it to go across the map but it went a couple steps and was confused. I had to manually order it out of the other one and then to the destination.

Oh, and another thing that has pissed me off. The units ALWAYS move in formation. Like, when you click the form up based on that point (which always is the front of the formation). Usually this isn't a big deal, but sometimes I click a place in front of some of my units and the move backwards, because that's their place in the formation. I like the way things are in Rise of Nations, where they only make a big effort to fall into line if you hold down the button when ordering them and then point the formation the right way. In this it's like they always do that, whether you hold the button down or not, which can be frustrating when they take 5 minutes to wander around and get into formation, all while some unit it bombing their asses off.

Old 02-14-2007, 01:31 PM   #12
gonzo4life44
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to gonzo4life44 Send a message via MSN to gonzo4life44 Send a message via Yahoo to gonzo4life44

wow it wont run properly.... tear.

gonzo4life44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 01:40 PM   #13
ToshX
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo4life44 View Post
wow it wont run properly.... tear.
Are you getting the same message as me?
Old 02-14-2007, 04:00 PM   #14
JKPolk
tool

Send a message via AIM to JKPolk Send a message via Skype™ to JKPolk

Played it for a little while and came to a conclusion: unless you have a supercomputer, this game is not for you.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:31 PM   #15
gonzo4life44
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to gonzo4life44 Send a message via MSN to gonzo4life44 Send a message via Yahoo to gonzo4life44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToshX View Post
Are you getting the same message as me?
no my computer just restarts on me.

gonzo4life44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 04:32 PM   #16
ToshX
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

That's really awkward :/ I have no idea what to say.