Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Video Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2006, 11:50 PM   #141
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Squeek
Default Re: PS3 is dead (IMO)

There have been Sony PR guys in the field saying demos in GameStop and EB Games are meant to freeze. It's coded into the console.

rofl

NForcer brings up a good point. See, as someone who doesn't watch TV, I would never consider the purchase of an HD-television. I don't even have an LCD monitor. Therefore, the whole "HD" thing for Blu-Ray and the like totally fails on me.

The problem for Sony is that I am part of about 90% of the market according to some analysts who've studied the install base for HDTVs.

You first have to get people to buy HDTVs, then of those people, you have to work even harder to convince them to get something "better" than DVDs, and finally, you have to convince them that Blu-Ray is better than HD-DVD.

Are you starting to see things my way, Chromer? Sony's entire motive with PS3 is not for gaming. It's a multimedia experience. I have a computer for that, and I don't have an HDTV for their console, nor do I have any interest whatsoever in super graphics that the average human eye can't even discern.

ps - find me someplace in this thread (other than this sentence) where I say "wii is going to win and nintendo is the greatest company ever made", then you can call me a fanboy.
Squeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 03:38 AM   #142
tsugomaru
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to tsugomaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstrike0159 View Post
Hah, i like how you all are sitting there thinking you are soo superior just because you have more people on your side in this one specific thread. There are many people who would perfer the PS3 and who know it will do better in the long run. How about you all sit ther eand kindly take peoples opinions for what they are... OPINIONS. You are all so concerned with proving yourselves right that you are taking things past the point of conversation and into a rant. The PS3 wont go away, and it will take a while to grow its popularity but it will grow. Whos to say how well it will do, all there is to say that its not doing well now.
I just noticed this insulting post and I feel it is important for me to retaliate.

Slipstrike, we are looking into the future of both the Wii and the PS3 and they do hold promosing games and reasons for both consoles to continue selling, but we are also looking at current data. So far, it shows that the Wii is doing multiples better than the PS3. The Wii has sold far more systems than the PS3 and it has more games released with better ratings.

And you can't garauntee that the PS3 will grow at all either and you won't be able to say you inherently know that the PS3 will do well in the future. It is like people on the verge of diieng, it could go any way. They could recover, take time to recover, or sadly die. The PS3 is on this very same verge. I definitly do not want to see the PS3 die, but I also don't like it when people are subtly saying that the Wii will.

~Tsugomaru
tsugomaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 05:18 AM   #143
Chromer
Hookers and Blow
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Chromer Send a message via Yahoo to Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeek View Post
There have been Sony PR guys in the field saying demos in GameStop and EB Games are meant to freeze. It's coded into the console.

rofl

NForcer brings up a good point. See, as someone who doesn't watch TV, I would never consider the purchase of an HD-television. I don't even have an LCD monitor. Therefore, the whole "HD" thing for Blu-Ray and the like totally fails on me.

The problem for Sony is that I am part of about 90% of the market according to some analysts who've studied the install base for HDTVs.

You first have to get people to buy HDTVs, then of those people, you have to work even harder to convince them to get something "better" than DVDs, and finally, you have to convince them that Blu-Ray is better than HD-DVD.

Are you starting to see things my way, Chromer? Sony's entire motive with PS3 is not for gaming. It's a multimedia experience. I have a computer for that, and I don't have an HDTV for their console, nor do I have any interest whatsoever in super graphics that the average human eye can't even discern.

ps - find me someplace in this thread (other than this sentence) where I say "wii is going to win and nintendo is the greatest company ever made", then you can call me a fanboy.

I don't have to search because all of your posts blatantly show it, whether you came out and said it or not. I'm not going to see things your way either. I'm getting a PS3 and a Wii. End of story.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:16 AM   #144
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Afrobean

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToshX View Post
That is such an incredibly terrible way of thinking. I think completely the opposite and it usually brings me to things I love very much.

An example you can relate to, pure ints in MS, or the fact that I use an MG in GunZ.

Going with "if everyone else thinks this way, it must be working" is just a horrid way to do things, in my opinion.
:\

That's not really what I meant at all. It's really more of a "if you're the only one speaking against the popular opinion you should probably rethink your stance and be sure to include LOGIC this time." Obviously, the minority can be right while the majority is being stupid, but the people who are for the PS3 have nothing to say but "just wait ps3 will come out on top somehow."

rofl @ chromer saying squeek is a nintendo fanboy even though there really is no reason outside of the fact that squeek seems to love the wii (but who here at FFR doesn't love the wii?)
Old 12-31-2006, 09:14 AM   #145
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromer View Post
I don't have to search because all of your posts blatantly show it, whether you came out and said it or not. I'm not going to see things your way either. I'm getting a PS3 and a Wii. End of story.
Likewise, I will never buy a PS3. None of the games you've mentioned warrant spending $700 for the console and a single game (tax?). Like I said before, since I've never played much of Metal Gear, none of Devil May Cry, and always hated Final Fantasy, the PS3 has absolutely nothing for me. Especially since I'd never be able to witness the kind of graphics it can display.

I am still considering a 360, but it'll have to be the Core and it'll have to be pretty cheap. The $100 Amazon Core 360 was incredibly tempting. It just took place at a bad time. They're going to need more exclusives on the thing before I make my decision. Halo 3 is not enough because, frankly, I hate the franchise.

But anyway, I wanted to ask: why are you getting a PS3? Seriously, why? Do you think it'll be the next PS2? The console with all the best games of its generation (because let's be honest. Gamecube games were great, but PS2 had the best exclusive titles ever). Thing is, Nintendo had that glory until they lost it with the N64. That's when all the RPGs and innovative games went to PlayStation. Then it continued onto PlayStation 2. However, the tables have turned. The DS is conquering Japan's market. It's sold about 35,000,000 units worldwide (more than double PSP) in only two years. The DS Lite sells out every week it hits the market, just like Wii is still doing here. RPGs are being released for it. Innovative titles are coming out. Companies are beginning to trust Nintendo again.

Do you honestly think this won't carry over to Wii? Do you think more developers will pay more to develop a game for a smaller fanbase, or will they pay less to develop a game for a larger fanbase?

What would you do if YOU were a developer. Put yourself in their shoes. You have to sell 500,000 copies of your game in order to make any profit whatsoever on the PS3. You have to develop for a new processor (Cell). You have to develop on a new media (Blu-Ray).

Or, you can develop for 360. You develop on a standard processor with a standard disc format. You don't have to sell nearly as much as PS3 in order to turn a profit.

Or you can develop for Wii. You develop on a standard processor with a standard disc format. The devkit is so cheap, even a college student could afford it. You don't have to sell even half of PS3's number to turn a profit.

And finally, despite the fact that it's only been out for a month and a half, no game on the PS3 has turned any profit yet. Resistance is at about maybe 200,000. On the list of top games sold in 2007, it's 274th. In comparison, Gears is 5th and Twilight Princess is 42nd (hey, same as my number in line the day I got my Wii!).
Old 12-31-2006, 09:21 AM   #146
blitzmage
Banned

Send a message via AIM to blitzmage Send a message via MSN to blitzmage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromer View Post
..............................................._,,,,-------,,,__
........................................,,;:#ggg@@g;,..........‘`=-,
.................................,,;$#^`````*#@@@g;,.............’=-,
...............................,/$`................``#@@@#g,...............‘\,
........................._,;f`......................,$@@@@#g,..............“\,
....................,/*&gp..+,_..................%*#@@@@g;,............’\,
................,./_`”>’.....`#$$#x;,............,%@@@@@#g;,..........`\
..............,/ (............`\....`\”*=,``\.......*&*%@@@@@g;,..........\
...........,/...,^=*#q,_,/`\.......`~..`-.......g$@@@@@@@#g,........|
........../,;p8jq;,_..........;.........................`%@@@@@@@#g;....|
........,/.f,,,,_..`*8r-,.....;......................,&@@@@@@@@@#./
......./.,$ `\,...`.-...&..../........................`%@@@@@@@@$#/
.....,/,$--__........`\..../............................#$@@@##@@@@/
...,/\...`’t-,__,;>`..../.........................................;`=””=.`;@#*
.,/....`”~--~`’’....-`...................................,--”,~#-,.._*”`
(..........................................................,....`””......,;`
.`\,_.....................................................&`*-,,_-”`
.......`-,_............................................../`.../
.............\..................................................|
lol anguished chromer is anguished
Squeek is a fanboy for proving points aganist the ps3 yet you are not a fanboy for relentlessly protecting the ps3 with no logic at all.
gg nr.
blitzmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 10:06 AM   #147
Angel Shiyue
FFR Player

Okay, here's how it's going:

The PS3: Sony seems to think that just because they 'won' the console war last time around, they can make a $600 console and people are going to want it. Let's take a look at their launch games, shall we? Resistance. That's the only game they've got going for it at the moment that I would even be interested in. FFXIII? No thanks, Sony. Final Fantasy started getting annoying somewhere between FFX and Advent Children. Stop beating a dead horse. What happens if Blu-Ray or the PS3 fails? Well, then you're **** out of luck...and about $600. Let's also remember that Sony tried to steal Nintendo's thunder when they came out and said: "Guess what, you guys? Our controller is also motion sensing!" Wow. I was so mad at Sony for doing that. How about getting their own ideas instead of stealing other people's?

The Wii: Nintendo's picking up the ball and running with it. They got something right with the DS and they're moving it over to their console. Plus, Zelda and Miyamoto. You can't beat the father of modern gaming. It's cheap, it's fun, and it'll get your whole family involved. Just last night, we had a bunch of people over (all over 40) and we spent a good two hours playing Wii Sports. Nintendo has always been good about their launches, so I knew that buying one at launch wouldn't be any different from buying one a year later. I didn't have to worry about it being glitchy like the PS3.

I guess all it really comes down to what you're willing to spend and what type of gamer you are. My friend got a PS3 on launch and now he's getting a 'disc read error'. That's messed up. $600 and he can't even play a game on it!

Last edited by Angel Shiyue; 12-31-2006 at 10:52 AM.. Reason: Crap - edit on media center...thing.
Angel Shiyue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 10:36 AM   #148
nforcer06164
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to nforcer06164 Send a message via Skype™ to nforcer06164

angel, Chromer said that the PS3 was a media center. However, the PS3 is being marketed as a media center (if there's anything you can't do on the PS3, you probably shouldn't be doing it), and the Wii isn't. The last system marketed as a media center was PSP. That went over really well, didn't it?

PROUD OWNER OF TWO OMEGA FAVORS. YEAH, NICE TRY.
Giant NES Controller (4 FEET) progress: PAINT IS DONE!
Download my Wii Music Suite v1.0, and PM me with your input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeek
My mind says "GOGOGOG" and my hands go "wut no scru u ***"
nforcer06164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 10:41 AM   #149
Biff_tech
so the 17 ate the 12 eh.
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Biff_tech

erm no? lol the only thing my friend uses his psp now adays is to browse ecchi and thats about it, he plays the odd game but I think he wasted his money, he even said himself he wasted his money.

Sig by Darkmonkey AKA Clowd
Biff_tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 10:50 AM   #150
nforcer06164
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to nforcer06164 Send a message via Skype™ to nforcer06164

Your sarcasm detectors are broken.

Quote:
Old 12-31-2006, 10:51 AM   #151
Angel Shiyue
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by nforcer06164 View Post
angel, Chromer said that the PS3 was a media center. However, the PS3 is being marketed as a media center (if there's anything you can't do on the PS3, you probably shouldn't be doing it), and the Wii isn't. The last system marketed as a media center was PSP. That went over really well, didn't it?
Oh, sorry... ^^; I just consider the PS3 as more of a console than a media center.
Angel Shiyue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 11:06 AM   #152
fido123
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead_juggalo View Post
Dude, our Wal-mart had 3 PS3's in stock yesterday. I knew the things would die down fast. Wii is the way to go.
Wii Blows chuncks...I like the concept but the games are so freakin bad. I have a naubour whos vice presidant of North American sales and she gave me a disc about the Wii...there were like 2 or 3 good games. The graphics are even slightly worse than gamecube.
fido123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 11:13 AM   #153
Biff_tech
so the 17 ate the 12 eh.
FFR Veteran

Wtf is a naubour??? and no the graphics are not worse then the gamecube there if anything a bit better and they have about 5 - 6 good games not 2 - 3, if anything you blow chunks lol

Notice how the ps3 has like 1 good game >..>.

Old 12-31-2006, 12:19 PM   #154
deltro300111
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to deltro300111 Send a message via MSN to deltro300111 Send a message via Yahoo to deltro300111

Computer has better graphics.

Note the FPS that is twice that you could possibly get on any television set,

also, higher resolution.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:26 PM   #155
nforcer06164
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Also, completely irrelevant.

Quote:
Old 12-31-2006, 01:41 PM   #156
Biff_tech
so the 17 ate the 12 eh.
FFR Veteran

HURRAY FOR irrelevantness also http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGzLK...elated&search=

Anyway enough stupidness, if someone is willing to shell out $600 for a ps3 thats fine with me but I personally won't unless i'm really desperate for a media center.

Old 12-31-2006, 01:44 PM   #157
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Afrobean

Quote:
Originally Posted by nforcer06164 View Post
Also, completely irrelevant.
Not really, because you could shell out more money for a computer and get something that is more effective and more customizeable, and that is also upgradeable and not needing to be wholly replaced every 5 years or so.
Old 12-31-2006, 04:34 PM   #158
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fido123 View Post
Wii Blows chuncks...I like the concept but the games are so freakin bad. I have a naubour whos vice presidant of North American sales and she gave me a disc about the Wii...there were like 2 or 3 good games. The graphics are even slightly worse than gamecube.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You should be a journalist.

ps - when making things up, it's better to spell things correctly. People might actually think you're serious for about three seconds.

pps - games are coming out now that require hard drive space to work. Before it was optional. Now it's absolutely necessary. 2GB for Full Auto 2. It'll only go up.

Proof: http://www.mobygames.com/game/ps3/fu...CoverId,75655/

Last edited by Squeek; 12-31-2006 at 04:52 PM..
Old 12-31-2006, 05:25 PM   #159
ToshX
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Those PC graphics look really bulky and pixelated to me, even for an FPS. The water looks especially terrible. But besides the example, yes, computer graphics are generally much better than console graphics. Thing is, not a whole lot of companies want to overpower their graphics to a point where the average computer can't run them.
ToshX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 06:55 PM   #160
cC@Zz
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by fido123 View Post
Who cares about the graphics if the games are fun. There's a reason why the Wii is selling well and it's not because of graphics. The games being bad is your opinion but sales don't lie.