Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2006, 08:12 PM   #41
Chromer
Hookers and Blow
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Chromer Send a message via Yahoo to Chromer
Default Re: PS3 is dead (IMO)

Let's visualize a scenario:

Let's say the fake trailer that Sony showed at E3 about Killzone 2 was in fact true. Do you really think Gears of War and dare I say Halo 3, would even be able to stand up to it? No, not at all. The PS3 is more powerful than the 360; that's a given. However, in order for Microsoft to get a substantial gain in the next-gen wars, they had to release earlier in fear of another Sony onslaught. Now that they are a year ahead, of course Microsoft is happy-go-lucky; they already know the system in-and-out while Sony is now playing catchup. Point is, the PS3 msy look dead now, but in a year's time, I HIGHLY doubt they will be last in the console war.
Old 12-26-2006, 08:51 PM   #42
Tasuke
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Tasuke Send a message via MSN to Tasuke

Sony also has, practically, the entire Japanese RPG force behind it.
That would be quite a large and imprtant factors for some potential buyers.
coughMoogycough
Old 12-26-2006, 08:56 PM   #43
blitzmage
Banned

Send a message via AIM to blitzmage Send a message via MSN to blitzmage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromer View Post
Let's visualize a scenario:

Let's say the fake trailer that Sony showed at E3 about Killzone 2 was in fact true. Do you really think Gears of War and dare I say Halo 3, would even be able to stand up to it? No, not at all.
But it's fake right? so how does this point even make any diffrence if the frailer was fake. PS i never knew you had a time machine to see the future of the games compared. Lend it to me

Quote:
The PS3 is more powerful than the 360; that's a given.
Doesn't look like it from many screenshots it doesn't seem to be able to handle certian things better then 360.

Quote:
However, in order for Microsoft to get a substantial gain in the next-gen wars, they had to release earlier in fear of another Sony onslaught.
Groan fanboy speculation.

Quote:
Now that they are a year ahead, of course Microsoft is happy-go-lucky; they already know the system in-and-out while Sony is now playing catchup. Point is, the PS3 msy look dead now, but in a year's time, I HIGHLY doubt they will be last in the console war.
I don't know it seems like ps3's are being returned and not rebought in Japan and america. There have been alot sighted. Whereas the Wii seems to be selling like hotcakes even with alot more consoles and the xbox360 seems to be keeping the intrest still.

Both of them were designed specially for their own system to show off it's skills. I doubt they are going to only use it to half it's amount when it's supposed to be their "buy me look how great i am" game. Thats rediculous.
blitzmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 09:16 PM   #44
MixMasterLar
Beach Bum Extraordinaire
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to MixMasterLar Send a message via Skype™ to MixMasterLar

Quote:
but it comes down to the future games of the console and how fresh and original they are. Sony has the greatest potential to carry on after 360 and Wii have hit a wall.
All the 360 and Wii have to do is carry on for like a year, and force Sony to drop the Ps. If Sony doesnt make money now then they're gonna give.

I see what your saying: Sony has more life to it and can out last the comp. However, If no one buys it before Microsoft goes stale then we wont see the day. I hope they stick with it, but (to me at least) it looks bad....They need sales so they can feel like they can stay with it. I dont see it happening

Plus keep in mind that most people who'll buy the system are minors:

Quote:
Minor: I want a Ps3
Perent: Well, your grades are up, you have been feeding the fish etc. etc, I think we can work something out. How much is it
Minor: 700 bucks
Perent: Heck no.

And even if the customer has a job; When I can buy 300 $ less, then I can spend 300 $ more on someone sexier then Sony

Facebook / Youtube / Twitter

Last edited by MixMasterLar; 12-26-2006 at 09:42 PM..
MixMasterLar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 09:26 PM   #45
Chromer
Hookers and Blow
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Blitzmage:

1. The point is that while Killzone might have been fake, there are other games who are looking to achieve that sort of gameplay.

2. When the Xbox 360 first came out, everyone thought they looked like polished -up Xbox graphics. Now look at them.

3. Fanboy speculation? Well slap me around and call me a bitch, but when was the last time you saw a new Xbox game? Is 100 million consoles sold worldwide fanboyism? Didn't think so. =P

Lar:

1. Sony has invested too much money to drop out now. You people also forget that both Microsoft AND Sony are taking a huge risk by promoting their new disc formats: HD-DVD and Blue Ray. While it might not look like it, unless both corporations can sell their formats to the public, they both lose, end of story.

2. No, youth was not targeted by Sony at all. Sony wanted to go after the 18-35 demographic. The only reason kids want it so badly because America is a country full of snot-nosed whiny ass brats who complain to their parents when the oatmeal's too hot. The PS3 is too delicate of a machine to let some 9-year old have. Why do you think most people who camped out for PS3's were buying them for older teens and those who were camping out for Wiis were buying them for younger children? Point right there.

3. I will admit that it was a ****ty move on Sony's part to make it so damn expensive but hey, you gotta make you money back somehow. =P
Old 12-26-2006, 09:40 PM   #46
MixMasterLar
Beach Bum Extraordinaire
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to MixMasterLar Send a message via Skype™ to MixMasterLar

Quote:
The PS3 is too delicate of a machine to let some 9-year old have. Why do you think most people who camped out for PS3's were buying them for older teens and those who were camping out for Wiis were buying them for younger children? Point right there.
Point taken.

Sony has invested alot of cash, and your right, droping out now would be stupid. But it's not like they can really lower the price over time(as Squeek pointed out), but the 360 can prob do just that in 2 years. I fear that in THAT time Sony will have droped out. They's still not enough people buying them. Now in Japan I might be wrong, but as the USA goes I think this is the hight of their sales.

Old 12-26-2006, 09:53 PM   #47
Chromer
Hookers and Blow
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

I think the reason why the 360 can drop their prices is becuae Microsoft is one of the richest companies in the world. They **** 360s like we breathe air. Sony cannot do tis to their product and lose the first round of the fight. There is plently of life to experience with the PS3, but alot of people won't even give them the chance before they fully hatch from the proverbial egg.
Old 12-26-2006, 09:55 PM   #48
jewpinthethird
(The Fat's Sabobah)
Retired StaffFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jewpinthethird

To anyone who thinks that the PS3 is going to fail,

Sony is a multi-billion dollar corporation. I think they know what they are doing.
jewpinthethird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 09:56 PM   #49
MixMasterLar
Beach Bum Extraordinaire
FFR Simfile Author

Quote:
There is plently of life to experience with the PS3, but alot of people won't even give them the chance before they fully hatch from the proverbial egg.
That's what Im saying: As great as it is, if no one gives them a shot then they die. I would like to have one but the MONEY side of it comes to mind. I cant, most wont.

No sales=R.I.P PS3

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewpinthethird View Post
To anyone who thinks that the PS3 is going to fail,

Sony is a multi-billion dollar corporation. I think they know what they are doing.
Pass glory does not mean your gonna make it if you mess it up; Look at the Dixie Chicks.

Last edited by MixMasterLar; 12-26-2006 at 09:59 PM..
Old 12-26-2006, 10:16 PM   #50
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Squeek

Quote:
Sony has invested too much money to drop out now. You people also forget that both Microsoft AND Sony are taking a huge risk by promoting their new disc formats: HD-DVD and Blue Ray. While it might not look like it, unless both corporations can sell their formats to the public, they both lose, end of story.
Blu-Ray is Sony's primary selling point. Cell is the second point. Sony NEEDS Blu-Ray to succeed for the PS3 to be worthwhile.

Hd-DVD is an attachment. It's optional. Microsoft would like it it people bought it, but they don't expect too much. Really, it was just a way for X360 owners to get an HD-DVD player cheaper than the actual box.

Comparisons need all of the facts in place to work.
Squeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 10:25 PM   #51
MixMasterLar
Beach Bum Extraordinaire
FFR Simfile Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeek View Post
Comparisons need all of the facts in place to work.
Wow, I musta missed that......

Old 12-26-2006, 10:44 PM   #52
nforcer06164
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to nforcer06164 Send a message via Skype™ to nforcer06164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeek View Post
Hd-DVD is an attachment. It's optional. Microsoft would like it it people bought it, but they don't expect too much. Really, it was just a way for X360 owners to get an HD-DVD player cheaper than the actual box.
I thought XBox 360 games were in HD-DVD format....

PROUD OWNER OF TWO OMEGA FAVORS. YEAH, NICE TRY.
Giant NES Controller (4 FEET) progress: PAINT IS DONE!
Download my Wii Music Suite v1.0, and PM me with your input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeek
My mind says "GOGOGOG" and my hands go "wut no scru u ***"
nforcer06164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 03:32 AM   #53
Chromer
Hookers and Blow
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Yes, all games for the 360 are in HD-DVD format. Looks like Squeek needs to get his information correct.
Old 12-27-2006, 08:27 AM   #54
nforcer06164
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to nforcer06164 Send a message via Skype™ to nforcer06164

Squeek's had wrong information about quite a few things... even the Wii. So, I usually take the things he says with a grain of salt.

PROUD OWNER OF TWO OMEGA FAVORS. YEAH, NICE TRY.
Giant NES Controller (4 FEET) progress: PAINT IS DONE!
Download my Wii Music Suite v1.0, and PM me with your input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeek
My mind says "GOGOGOG" and my hands go "wut no scru u ***"
nforcer06164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 11:03 AM   #55
blitzmage
Banned

Send a message via AIM to blitzmage Send a message via MSN to blitzmage

Actually 360 games are in DVD9 format. Ugh Inside the 360 is a simple dvd player not a hd-dvd player so therefore it could not play HD-DVD games. OTHERWISE YOU WOULDN'T NEED AN ATTACHEMENT TO PLAY HD-DVD MOVIES. THINK WITH YOUR HEAD.

You can obviously tell because most of the games are not higher then 9GB.

YOU GUYS ARE THE ONES WITH THE WRONG INFOMATION.

Last edited by blitzmage; 12-27-2006 at 11:06 AM..
blitzmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 11:18 AM   #56
ToshX
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Well, you also have to remember that the PS3 is not just a game player. They're trying to turn it into a mutlimedia requirement like a computer. With add-ons, it could probably do some amazing things.
ToshX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 11:27 AM   #57
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

-.- come on guys.

The HD-DVD is an attachment. Obviously if you need an attachment to read HD-DVDs, the game format is not HD-DVD.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:29 AM   #58
ToshX
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Yes, but with a system costing $500 at least, it must have many capabilities for attachments. They wouldn't put an entirely useless and expensive player in there just for fun.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:39 AM   #59
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Tosh, they will do that.

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/psx/kut...v20-223422.php
Old 12-27-2006, 11:43 AM   #60
ToshX
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

They're probably just trying to make it into a powerful computer-like system or something. It's going to have its crappy stages. The 'Ray just shows they were trying to plan for the future. Remember, all the other Playstations lasted for 6-7 years, a pretty large chunk of our lives.