Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Video Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2006, 12:15 PM   #681
nforcer06164
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to nforcer06164 Send a message via Skype™ to nforcer06164
Default Re: The Wii is Here.

Sure.

On the Format Wii System Memory screen, it is mentioned that channels you've backed up on an SD card will not work if the system memory is formatted. Odd. I might have to look into that.

I mentioned before that my system was placed horizontally. However, I received quite the scare yesterday because even though it was off, the bottom was HOT. I've placed it in a vertical position to avoid a heating problem.

Funny enough, when the front is parallel to my TV, it can't get a wireless signal. However, when the front is an inch (read: ONE INCH) in front of my TV, it receives a signal from my router. Very, very strange. What a fussy system.

PROUD OWNER OF TWO OMEGA FAVORS. YEAH, NICE TRY.
Giant NES Controller (4 FEET) progress: PAINT IS DONE!
Download my Wii Music Suite v1.0, and PM me with your input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeek
My mind says "GOGOGOG" and my hands go "wut no scru u ***"
nforcer06164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 01:11 PM   #682
MixMasterLar
Beach Bum Extraordinaire
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to MixMasterLar Send a message via Skype™ to MixMasterLar

Quote:
Originally Posted by nforcer06164 View Post
ALSO, SSBB is confirmed to exclusively use the GameCube-style controller, so as not to "alienate those familiar with the control scheme." Hallelujah!
Yeah Im getting a Wii. I read what you said about what a fussy system it is but Im getting one some after xmas ( big xmas list lol)

Facebook / Youtube / Twitter

MixMasterLar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 02:36 PM   #683
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Squeek

Grandia, once you play the Wii version of Twilight Princess, you'll wonder why you ever considered the GC version.

The controls are supremely amazing and flawless. Everything is how it should be, and it's completely different from what they had available at E3.

I'm playing on my friend's save file. My save file has me still in the first village without a slingshot =/
Squeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 05:35 PM   #684
dAnceguy117
new hand moves = dab
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

I'm totally stuck in Twilight Princess. Lame.

The game is amazing. Unfortunately, I can't compare/contrast it to other Zelda games, because I've barely played any of them. This is the first Nintendo console I've owned since the NES. I'm pumped just to put another futile effort into getting past the part I'm at. It's just a blast. The controls take maybe five minutes to get used to, with exception to the occasional confusion over where the inventory button went. I should be entirely familiar with where all of the buttons are without looking in a week at most.

Can you play Wii Sports online with a router already? If you can, please tell me how. I have a few friends with Wiis and routers already.
dAnceguy117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 05:37 PM   #685
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Since I don't have a connection yet, I can't help you there.

What I can do is quote this blog post on Kotaku.

Quote:
Wii:

- In Standby Mode: 10w
- Idle @ Wii menu: 17w
- Running a Wii Game (Test with Zelda / Trauma Center) in 480i: 17w

37" Sharp Aquos LCD TV:
- In Standby Mode: 40w
- Turned on: 180w

XBox 360:
- In Standby Mode: 2w
- Idle @ Dashboard: ~140w
- Running a Game: ~160w
- Playing a DVD: ~110w
Wii uses fewer watts than a light bulb when it's running a game.

Haha. That's amazing.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:42 PM   #686
lord_carbo
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to lord_carbo

So wait, you can play it on the Wii but if you do you can only use Wii specific controls?

*Sigh* Nintendo always does dumb crap like that. They develop amazing games and small things like that always end up horrible. WHY, NINTENDO, WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY??

I'd rather mash a button than flail my hands for something like Zelda. Sorry Nintendo.

And yes, you can play Wii games with a Gamecube controller if the game was designed for it. Example: Metal Slug Anthology can use the Gamecube controller.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:58 PM   #687
argo15
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Omg, my arms are so tired from baseball. I got 7 home runs in home-run durby and didn't get a silver medal. I went WTF! But i did get Bronze medal on all levels now. Also became pro in bowling, you get a shiny ball then =). I need a new game =(.
argo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 07:12 PM   #688
MixMasterLar
Beach Bum Extraordinaire
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to MixMasterLar Send a message via Skype™ to MixMasterLar

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord_carbo View Post
So wait, you can play it on the Wii but if you do you can only use Wii specific controls?

*Sigh* Nintendo always does dumb crap like that. They develop amazing games and small things like that always end up horrible. WHY, NINTENDO, WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY??

I'd rather mash a button than flail my hands for something like Zelda. Sorry Nintendo.

And yes, you can play Wii games with a Gamecube controller if the game was designed for it. Example: Metal Slug Anthology can use the Gamecube controller.
yeah, that's the only bad thing about it; once the cool Wiimote gets old, Nintendo will have to make more games that use the GC controller or go the way of the zombie when people get tired of swinging that arm. I want one bad, but till more games get more familar controls then Im not giving up my PS2/N64.

Last edited by MixMasterLar; 11-21-2006 at 07:14 PM..
Old 11-21-2006, 08:21 PM   #689
dAnceguy117
new hand moves = dab
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Too bad the game is still great. You're overlooking an entire game for something that is, at the very worst, a minor feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixMasterLar View Post
once the cool Wiimote gets old, Nintendo will have to make more games that use the GC controller or go the way of the zombie when people get tired of swinging that arm
You think it's a gimmick. It's not a gimmick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixMasterLar View Post
I want one bad, but till more games get more familar controls then Im not giving up my PS2/N64.
Doesn't sound like you want one too badly, then. Trust me; you get used to it quickly. It's worth trying.
dAnceguy117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 08:26 PM   #690
Pumble
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Pumble

Quote:
wangs
Actually, it's not that bad. No really, at first i thought that the controls seemed gimmicky and would get old fast , but they did an excellent job of incorporating the remote into the game while still keeping the Zelda feel. You can pretty much just wiggle the controller around a little and you'll be able to do consistent attacks, move around, etc. It's more effective than the huge swings those guys take in the Wii demos anyways. Maybe it's the biased fan talking, but i love the controller in general, it gives you a huge amount of room to move your hands around.

What's the word on that LAN cable that's coming out whenever? I'd like to at least compare the price on it to a wireless router so i can figure out which one to buy.

Also it took me an hour to figure out how to catch a fish. I rule.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:30 PM   #691
lord_carbo
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to lord_carbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dAnceguy117 View Post
Too bad the game is still great. You're overlooking an entire game for something that is, at the very worst, a minor feature.
A minor feature? Hardly. It's not just how the controls are set up, it's how the game is played. It makes it completely different. Things like this are the reason why some games are great and some games are horrible (especially racing and sports games).

I have yet to play TP but it doesn't seem to fit in with Zelda that well.
Old 11-22-2006, 12:56 AM   #692
Grandiagod
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Grandiagod Send a message via MSN to Grandiagod

One of the coolest things about video games is the difference between player imput and output on the screen. If you are going to be moving around and doing all sorts of crazy stuff, you start to wonder "Maybe I should just go out and jetski instead"

Has the Wii reached this point? I don't think so.

But it's getting kind of close.
Grandiagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 06:55 AM   #693
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Hey.

PLAY THE GAME.

Then tell me whether or not it sucks.

Thanks.

Personally, I think it's amazing. So you need to shut up and get one, or go to a friend's house and play his. You'll see that this is not gimmicky and it works incredibly well.
Old 11-22-2006, 12:43 PM   #694
MixMasterLar
Beach Bum Extraordinaire
FFR Simfile Author

Cool Re: The Wii is Here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dAnceguy117 View Post
You think it's a gimmick. It's not a gimmick.

Doesn't sound like you want one too badly, then. Trust me; you get used to it quickly. It's worth trying.
Im not saying it sucks, but you do have a point. I was one of those people who hated the analog stick but now I love it, so yeah if the games do it right then the Wiimote might be a good thing after all.

But let's see how Nintendo does; a feature is only as good as the minds who make it.

Old 11-22-2006, 08:32 PM   #695
nforcer06164
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to nforcer06164 Send a message via Skype™ to nforcer06164

DAMMIT. The bomb in Trauma Center: Second Opinion is completely different from the DS one, and it keeps owning my ass over and over.

Stop being gay and post your Wii Friend Codes. Just keep in mind that contact is impossible unless both people register friend codes. Mine is:

I have four Miis set to mingle. They include Joe, Jesus, Dr. Stiles, and Wilford B. Yes, it's Mr. Diabeetus himself.

PROUD OWNER OF TWO OMEGA FAVORS. YEAH, NICE TRY.
Giant NES Controller (4 FEET) progress: PAINT IS DONE!
Download my Wii Music Suite v1.0, and PM me with your input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeek
My mind says "GOGOGOG" and my hands go "wut no scru u ***"
nforcer06164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 08:53 PM   #696
Pyroshock
ε=-dΦ/dt
FFR Music Producer

Send a message via AIM to Pyroshock

Red Steel is one of the most fun multiplayer games I have ever played.
Pyroshock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 09:11 PM   #697
Chromer
Hookers and Blow
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Chromer Send a message via Yahoo to Chromer

Played Excite Truck. Fun for about 45 seconds. Then I changed over to Twilight Princess. Fun for about 30 minutes because of wonky controls. Put in Trauma Center. GoTY IMO.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:42 PM   #698
THEGRIMREAPER1000
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to THEGRIMREAPER1000

lucky, im still trying to get one. is there anything wrong with the controls or its just you haven't gotten use to them????

THEGRIMREAPER1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 11:01 PM   #699
RainGame53
FFR Player

So far im loving zelda. Feels ALOT like the N64 versions, just instead of mashing B, you are flicking your wrist a little. I particularly like the aiming system on screen though. It feels much more natural now and is a hell of alot more fun.

The only slight problem im having with it so far though is the shield bashing move. Maybe im doing wrong, but sometimes it does the spin attack instead or takes a few attemps to get it off. Overall it is pretty smooth, but I worry in situations to come it may mess me up.

Im very impressed with the controls though. It basically feels the same as a regular controler, but with a bit more freedom. After a while I hardly notice im moving my wrist to swing, it feels very natural.

Hope this helps any of you wondering about it.
RainGame53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 11:17 PM   #700
THEGRIMREAPER1000
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to THEGRIMREAPER1000

i can image kids getting frustrated with the game and accidentally ripping the controllers cord out of the socket lol. do you thiink its possible since both controllers are connected with a wire??? cause the cord looks kinda short.

THEGRIMREAPER1000 is offline   Reply With Quote