noname219
FFR Wiki Admin
Wiki Administrator
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to noname219
Default Re: Need music recommendations | 1 year challenge

Day Twenty-Four - December 24th, 2013
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Skelethon by Aesop Rock (recommended by Tibbers)

1. Leisureforce
2. ZZZ Top
3. Cycles to Gehenna
4. Zero Dark Thirty
5. Fryerstarter
6. Ruby '81
7. Crows 1
8. Crows 2
9. Racing Stripes
10. 1,000 O'Clock
11. Homemade Mummy
12. Grace
13. Saturn Missiles
14. Tetra
15. Gopher Guts

My first incursion into hip hop territory (second if we count Mindless Self Indulgence) is an album by well-known producer Aesop Rock who started recording in the mid 90s. Skelethon is his 6th LP, released in 2012.

I can't talk much about the lyrics, I didn't give them a lot of attention as I was working on something else at the same time. From the little I've heard and read, he puts a lot of time in them. To a point where I feel like a lazy listener because I'm not even trying to understand his lyrics at all. Full of references, varied, large vocabulary. The exact opposite of my writing. His flow is aggressive and harsh, maybe too much.

I love the beats. Weird, gripping and a good dose of variety. Sometimes gloomy. Several unconventional sounds and influences. It's the reason why I find this kind of hip hop immensily interesting. I think I can like the instrumental version more.

Excepting the start and end of Ruby '81, there's no room to breathe. I took a break in the middle (got hungry) so it was an slightly easier listen than I was expecting, but it was still exhausting. 15 songs feels long.

My rating : ★★★★★★★☆☆☆
noname219 is offline   Reply With Quote