PDA

View Full Version : This has probably been suggested before,

infinity.
07-26-2008, 08:15 PM
Is there anyone on FFR that annoys you to no extent?
Is there anyone on FFR that annoys everyone to no extent?

I think it'd be really convenient to be able to have a sort of voteban function (similar to the one found on some game servers), where a person could be banned based upon a count of votes for said person to be banned.

Say everyone wanted to ban me, if the amount of votes needed for a person to be banned was 50 votes, and I received 50 votes, then I would be banned.

I'm sure that something like this wouldn't ban that many people, but it would ban the people that really annoy everyone, but didn't do anything that was a bannable offense.

This could also stop future confrontations and such.

Sorry if this has already been suggested or you see this as a bad idea.

lxDestinyxl
07-26-2008, 08:26 PM
Although this is the first time I've come across a suggestion like this before, it could lead to future problems. Bans are for moderators and administrators to decide. That is why there are moderators and administrators on active patrol around the site. If there is someone annoying you, all you need to do is report the person using the small icon provided.

However, if this was implemented, the problems which may arise include:

* Spam bans with alternate accounts
* Reduction of moderator and administrative powers
* False bans
* Ignorance
* Conflicts and furthermore problematic complaints

I believe that the system we have at the moment will sustain the needs of everyone. Just remember, if there is someone being a hassle, call the Tassel or report the post, and a moderator or administrator will be spear tackling the perpetrator in no time.

infinity.
07-26-2008, 08:31 PM
nothing in general is bothering me,

and as i said in the original posts this would be used for a person that could not be rightly banned by a mod or admin, but people would still like to see the person unable to post for a while.

i understand the use of the report button, and it's very similar to my suggestion.

EDIT: I was just about to ask you what future problems could occur, then saw your edit.

Good points all around, what if it was something that could only be used by members or senior members? There would still be some problems, but a lot less.

tuv
07-26-2008, 08:34 PM
ya I think the mods are doing a good job

infinity.
07-26-2008, 08:41 PM
I'm in no way saying that the mods or admins are doing a bad job, but they only ban people when they do something that deserves a ban.

My suggestion deals with a popular (actually an un-popular) vote, banning someone who didn't do anything that constituted a ban, but was generally disliked by a large number of people.

TwilightPrincess
07-26-2008, 08:49 PM
No thanks.

Just because subject A is hated by subject B, C and D, subject A has just as many rights to be on the forum as subject B, C and D. What if B, C and D hate A because A is A? Or because A likes certain things that B, C and D don't? No. A vote/ban system would not be useful here. In fact, it would be totally unfair to A if he/she was doing nothing that deserves a ban vote topic.

Sorry, I just can't see this happening because of all the flaming and ranting that would ensue because of it.

I'm in no way saying that the mods or admins are doing a bad job, but they only ban people when they do something that deserves a ban.
Protip: Why would they ban someone if that someone didn't deserve a ban? They wouldn't.

tuv
07-26-2008, 08:53 PM
maybe it could count as a suggestion to the mod and bring it to their attention

ViciousDelicious
07-26-2008, 08:56 PM
I think a mute button would be more suitable. Like, somewhere on the users' names or something it'd have a "mute" button. But it would only mute that person to you, not the whole chat.

Xx{Midday}xX
07-26-2008, 09:04 PM
Staff is fine.

Powers like that are restricted to a select few for good reason.

Ground_Breaker
07-26-2008, 09:06 PM
No...bans should not be decided by anyone but those who have been given such a privilege.

Bans are for moderators and administrators to decide. That is why there are moderators and administrators on active patrol around the site. If there is someone annoying you, all you need to do is report the person using the small icon provided.

Zageron
07-26-2008, 09:14 PM
I don't like this idea. Too many chances for TGB residents to **** you over.

humphoboextreme
07-29-2008, 02:09 PM
Although this is the first time I've come across a suggestion like this before, it could lead to future problems. Bans are for moderators and administrators to decide. That is why there are moderators and administrators on active patrol around the site. If there is someone annoying you, all you need to do is report the person using the small icon provided.

However, if this was implemented, the problems which may arise include:

* Spam bans with alternate accounts
* Reduction of moderator and administrative powers
* False bans
* Ignorance
* Conflicts and furthermore problematic complaints

I believe that the system we have at the moment will sustain the needs of everyone. Just remember, if there is someone being a hassle, call the Tassel or report the post, and a moderator or administrator will be spear tackling the perpetrator in no time.

You basically nailed it here, everything I would of said wrong with the idea of vote bans.

rzr
07-29-2008, 02:20 PM
I'm not a fan of the idea:

We have moderators and administrators who are put in power because they are unbiased group whom can make the decisions themselves. I foresee many biased users banning people who don't deserve it.

Crashfan3
07-29-2008, 03:34 PM
Nah. People would start up banvotes over something so small as downvoting their profile.
As far as I know, there is no rule about simply being a jerk. I do it very often to the losers with Naruto all over their profiles who think they can add me and we'll be best friends forever. >_<;;

I'm very appreciative of the FFR moderators and administrators, they do their job well.