Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Flash Flash Revolution > FFR General Talk > Contested Chart Difficulties
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-5-2015, 08:54 PM   #1
Xtreme2252
Jumpstreams Suck
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Xtreme2252 Send a message via MSN to Xtreme2252 Send a message via Yahoo to Xtreme2252 Send a message via Skype™ to Xtreme2252
Default Positively Inclined RMX [62 or 57?]

This is my first time doing this, and I understand that I'm not really the average FFR player, but I'm going to give this a shot and give my opinion on why I think this song is not 62 difficulty material.

This is kind of a weird one to argue, because it is a rather unique chart, and it is a long song and I have quite the bias when it comes to not ranking songs higher just because of their lengths, and I think this song really has one of the worst cases of that.

Now, for the first 1000 notes of the song there nothing really challenging at all really. If this section was the whole song I'd say it would be in the mid 40's for difficulty. It's a bunch of repetitive patterns with a few variations on occasion, a few simple jacks, and a single-note stream at one point. There are bpm changes to sync the chart with the vocals, but nothing too off-putting.

After this there's a breakdown section which I assume is the main reason this song is tiered at 62 difficulty. What makes this part tricky is the way the snare bursts are charted, often as rather fast and awkward triplets leading with a jump and changing pattern and timing each time, with one burst even simply charted as two jumps, followed by an easily chokeable vocal stutter charted to the up and down arrows. This section is only about 150 notes long.

To finish the song off it's back to streaming, but it is a bit harder than the first section of the song in my opinion.

Now, I don't think there's any single part of the song that's even worthy of a 62, and 90% of the song is worthy of low 50s. I believe this is a hard song to sightread and it would be a tricky one to AAA without the isolation feature, but thanks to the isolation feature the short tricky section can be practiced a lot and it kind of makes this aspect of the chart difficulty rather trivial. Other than that, I would say it should be about a 53, but possibly more of a 57 just due to the song length.

Now, another reason I think this chart should be lowered in difficulty is because I believe the tiny tricky section in the song seems to be the basis of the difficulty rating as if it represents the entire song. I can't help but contrast this with Gruntilda's Final Battle (64) which is another case of a song that is mostly rather simple except for a single small hard section, and the section in GFB is incredibly daunting consisting of a huge series of some of the fastest jacks in the game, playing no easier than some mid FMO songs, and yet the difficulty rating is not spiked into FMO because of this much more impacting and extreme case of the same situation.
Xtreme2252 is offline   Reply With Quote