Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Critical Thinking
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2011, 09:36 PM   #1
spidersilva
FFR Player

Default What qualify's who in being a nerd?

Stereotypes in being a nerd is someone who plays video games, into comics, smart and stuff but a lot of people play video games, even gangsters when there all smoking and drinking and kicking back, but some would not see them as nerds. People who go to the comic con would be accused of being nerds. Anyways in your own words what is a nerd?
spidersilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:50 PM   #2
Netjet!
Sic itur ad astra
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Netjet! Send a message via Skype™ to Netjet!
Default Re: What qualify's who in being a nerd?

Moved to Critical thinking.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:14 PM   #3
Emithith
FFR Player

While we're at it, please define Geek, and Nerd and differentiate them. I would love to know the difference, and why people say I am a geek.
Emithith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:49 PM   #4
UserNameGoesHere
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to UserNameGoesHere

Why is this in critical thinking?

Those things described would be a geek, not a nerd. A geek has come to mean someone who has specialized interests in certain things which include any of but are not limited to comic books, video games (though as this becomes more mainstream it becomes less "geeky"), specialized card games (anything other than your "standard" playing cards), poetry, literature (other than whatever's mainstream popular), and so forth. Basically it is someone who has interests other than whatever's "mainstream popular" and which interests are looked down upon by stereotypical "jock" types and so forth.

A nerd on the other hand, is someone who is good at any of the following but again, not necessarily limited to -- mathematics, science, physics, chemistry, biology, and so forth. This would typically be your "A student" as part of the requirement is not only an interest in but skill in certain areas.

I hope this clears things up. Those are by no means all-encompassing definitions but should give an idea. Also it's possible to be both.

Edit -- Yes I realize the word "geek" originally meant a type of circus performer who bites the heads off chickens. Words can and have changed meanings (and sometimes spellings) over time. I would say the meanings I gave here are the "correct" current meanings.

Last edited by UserNameGoesHere; 10-20-2011 at 10:59 PM..
UserNameGoesHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:57 PM   #5
Emithith
FFR Player

Quote:
nerd
   [nurd]
noun Slang.
a stupid, irritating, ineffectual, or unattractive person.
an intelligent but single-minded person obsessed with a nonsocial hobby or pursuit: a computer nerd.
Also, nurd.

Origin:
1960–65, Americanism; obscurely derived expressive formation
Quote:
geek
[geek]
geek
  [geek]
noun Slang.
a computer expert or enthusiast (a term of pride as self-reference, but often considered offensive when used by outsiders.)
a peculiar or otherwise dislikable person, especially one who is perceived to be overly intellectual.
a carnival performer who performs sensationally morbid or disgusting acts, as biting off the head of a live chicken.
Origin: 1915- 20; probably variant of geck (mainly Scots ) fool < Dutch or Low German gek
Related forms
geek·y, adjective

It seems it's gotten so convoluted that the street doesn't know what it means even though they use it.
A nerd is an anti-social person, that prefers to keep to their self, and "pursue anti-social activities" while a geek tends to just get top marks etc, and gets labelled because of it.

I am a "geek", but it wouldn't be true if people actually bothered to pay attention in class.
Emithith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 11:00 PM   #6
foilman8805
smoke wheat hail satin
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netjet! View Post
Moved to Critical thinking.
Are you serious...

You think this thread is Critical Thinking material? Especially with that thread title? And the "content" of that OP? You're a terrible moderator.

Last edited by foilman8805; 10-20-2011 at 11:03 PM..
foilman8805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:51 AM   #7
bmah
shots FIRED
Global Moderator, User Support, Judge
Global ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

foilman's not referring to you
bmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:54 AM   #8
spidersilva
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmah View Post
foilman's not referring to you
Right now I am drinking a mikes hard lemonade which explains my stupidity. sorry guys, sorry foilman. I'm just freaking bored guys.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:56 AM   #9
GG_Guru
Let em' do what they want
FFR Veteran

A geek is someone who's booksmart.

A nerd is like a person that spends time playing games and isn't very physically active.

I'm a nerd.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:04 AM   #10
spidersilva
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by GG_Guru View Post
A geek is someone who's booksmart.

A nerd is like a person that spends time playing games and isn't very physically active.

I'm a nerd.
Is playing DDR being physically active? lol
Old 10-21-2011, 01:06 AM   #11
Izzy
Snek

Quote:
nerd
   [nurd]
noun Slang.
a stupid, irritating, ineffectual, or unattractive person.
an intelligent but single-minded person obsessed with a nonsocial hobby or pursuit: a computer nerd.
Also, nurd.

Origin:
1960–65, Americanism; obscurely derived expressive formation
These definitions don't really go well with one another. Someone who only has passion for one particular thing could still be smart and not irritating even if they are obsessed with an anti-social activity.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 01:16 AM   #12
GG_Guru
Let em' do what they want
FFR Veteran

I probably should have been a little more specific. A nerd would be more into computer/video type based games. Someone would define a nerd as a person that stayed home all day or someone who is not very socially active as opposed to a geek. Don't get me wrong though, you can still be a nerd and have friends but that idea would only be congruent if his or her friends were also placed in the same category. Some cases would disprove that theory but only by a few percentage because you would most likely never see a "nerd" among a group of socially active individuals otherwise referred to as "the popular kids" or the "cool people". It is very rare.
Old 10-21-2011, 02:15 AM   #13
SKG_Scintill
Spun a twirly fruitcake,

Where does nasal talking come into this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluguerilla
So Sexy Robotnik (SKG_Scintill) {.0001/10} [--]
___
. RHYTHMS PR LAYERING
. ZOMG I HAD TO QUIT OUT TERRIBLE
SKG_Scintill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 03:21 AM   #14
supermousie
FFR Player

Send a message via Skype™ to supermousie

When I say so.

Dr. Seuss invented the word 'nerd'.
"a Nerkle, a Nerd, and a Seersucker too" If I Ran the Zoo (1950)
supermousie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 07:42 AM   #15
iironiic
D6 FFR Legacy Player
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

To me, a nerd is one who aspires after academic goals, commonly seen in the math and science fields. They have that strive to challenge themselves whenever they can and usually come out to be one of the most successful people in life. I can easily consider myself as a nerd even though I am one of those "athletic, musically inclined, and popular" students in my graduating class. I am also not ashamed to admit that I am a nerd haha.
iironiic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 08:16 AM   #16
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

"Nerd" and "geek" have overlapping territory imo, but to me "nerds" are a more driven, intellectual form of "geeks."

For instance, you could be a computer nerd, a science nerd, a chess nerd, a video game nerd, a math nerd, a music nerd, a literature/politics nerd, etc. To be a nerd, I think you need to have some sort of skill or intellect present in activities that are seen as mentally taxing.

That being said, I see "geeks" as losers. They aren't necessarily smart and they don't always understand the underlying principles of things -- they just have strong, obsessive, almost tunnel-visioned interests in niche activities. You could be a Star Trek geek, a Disney trivia geek, a stamp-collecting geek, etc.

To me, there's no such thing as a "Harry Potter nerd" -- just a "Harry Potter geek," because you aren't actually doing anything requiring any real skill.

It is possible to be either a nerd or a geek and not be socially inept (it's not necessarily a defining characteristic), but I would say that, empirically, geeks tend to be more inept than nerds.

Last edited by Reincarnate; 10-21-2011 at 08:26 AM..
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:33 AM   #17
who_cares973
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to who_cares973 Send a message via MSN to who_cares973 Send a message via Yahoo to who_cares973 Send a message via Skype™ to who_cares973

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidersilva View Post
Right now I am drinking a mikes hard lemonade which explains my stupidity.
lmao are you an anorexic woman by any chance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincarnate View Post
"Nerd" and "geek" have overlapping territory imo, but to me "nerds" are a more driven, intellectual form of "geeks."

For instance, you could be a computer nerd, a science nerd, a chess nerd, a video game nerd, a math nerd, a music nerd, a literature/politics nerd, etc. To be a nerd, I think you need to have some sort of skill or intellect present in activities that are seen as mentally taxing.

That being said, I see "geeks" as losers. They aren't necessarily smart and they don't always understand the underlying principles of things -- they just have strong, obsessive, almost tunnel-visioned interests in niche activities. You could be a Star Trek geek, a Disney trivia geek, a stamp-collecting geek, etc.

To me, there's no such thing as a "Harry Potter nerd" -- just a "Harry Potter geek," because you aren't actually doing anything requiring any real skill.

It is possible to be either a nerd or a geek and not be socially inept (it's not necessarily a defining characteristic), but I would say that, empirically, geeks tend to be more inept than nerds.
this is how i have always seen it.
Old 10-21-2011, 02:21 PM   #18
TheNoSoMan
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincarnate View Post

^

But how did the stereotypes of nerds (huge glasses, scrawny body, nasal tone, socially inept, etc.) come into being. I'm curious about this.
TheNoSoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 05:58 PM   #19
XCV
has nice tits
FFR Veteran

Sums up my thoughts pretty well.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:08 PM   #20
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNoSoMan View Post
^

But how did the stereotypes of nerds (huge glasses, scrawny body, nasal tone, socially inept, etc.) come into being. I'm curious about this.
IMO it's an older stereotype. "Nerd" and "geek" used to be interchangeable for a long time, but with technology becoming more of a presence in our lives, the jargon split off once people noticed that there were really two types of dorks, here -- the kind who can actually do amazing shit, and the kind who are just obsessed over niche things. The scrawny-dork stereotype still exists in either category, but my point is that it's no longer an automatic assumption.
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote