Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2005, 11:16 AM   #1
FishFishRevolution
GotR Creator
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to FishFishRevolution Send a message via Yahoo to FishFishRevolution Send a message via Skype™ to FishFishRevolution
Default Black Friday at Best Buy

So, I saw online that Best Buy was having a special 5AM-noon Black Friday sale online yesterday. I remembered that last year, my friend Travis went and said it was so crazy because there were so many deals, you felt like you had to buy stuff that you didn't even want, just becuase it was so cheap. He was far too right. Typing this now, I'm not running off of very much sleep or cohereance, so please ignore any horrible spelling or grammar errors.

I had a friend who is back for Thanksgiving break spend the night, and we stayed up until 2AM watching End of Evangelion. We got about an hour or less of sleep (how can you sleep after that movie?), then we woke up my brother (who lives in the basement of evil) and left. It was super-cold outside, and I made the wonderful decision to wear the only pair of pants that I own that offer absolutely no warmth or protection from wind at all. This was my first mistake. On the way up, Kevin (the friend) decided that driving through backroads with creepy dead trees at 3:30 in the morning was not creepy enough for him. He put on the most horrible song from the Kill Bill Soundtrack (Track 02, the whistling song), which after listening to it again during sunrise, was not all that creepy, but I SWEAR I WAS GOING TO DIE LIKE THAT CHICK FROM THE RING WAS JUST GOING TO SLAM UP ON THE WINDSHIELD AND START EATING MY FACE OR SOMETHING.

So we get there. The line was already about 200 people long, and we showed up an hour early. The two geniuses I was with were sissies and didn't want to stand in the cold as soon as we got there, so we lost our good space, although we did go out into the cold after about 10 mintues or so. Whilist standing in the cold, I realized a universal truth about life. The dumber you look, or the dumber you can make yourself look using the clothes on your body, the warmer you will be. I tucked my shirt into my pants, and my pants into my socks and the cold ALMOST didn't bother me for the rest of the hour outside. As we stood, there were people yelling that things were already sold out, even though the store hadn't been opened yet. These were ticketed items, which I still don't really understand, nor do I care to.

Anyway, at about 4:56 Verizon Time EST, Best Buy opened. The best part of this whole charade was that there were people who stayed in their warm cars and got out when they saw the doors open, effectively bypassing the line in its entirity. Well, we got in, and it was a mad-house:

DVD PLAYERS - 29.99
120 GB INTERNAL HARD DRIVES - 29.99
160 GB EXTERNAL HARD DRIVES - 79.99
75 DVDR'S AND 25 CDR'S - 2.99
MP3 PLAYERS - 39.99
14" FLATSCREEN TV - 59.99
FULL PENTIUM COMPUTER SET-UP - 149.99

I put back so much stuff just because I was like "I don't need this...I DON'T EVEN WANT THIS." I eventually ended up getting one of those Rocker video game chairs, a video game for my dad, an MP3 Player, and those CD/DVD deals (2 packs). It was pure madness, and pure fun. The line for the line had about 15 people in it, and it took an hour and a hlaf to get through. No exageration, at all. We got out of the store, and had to fit the freaking Rocker box in the back seat with my poor brother, who had the pleasure of being crushed for the rest of the morning. To cheer him up, we went to ihop and had breakfast at like 8.

We got home, wrapped the Rocker and the game, and Kevin and I passed out. I just now woke up, wondering what's going on, so I read jTWG and made a voting guide.

=D

Pictures coming soon.
Old 11-25-2005, 11:22 AM   #2
gowereinside
FFR Player

Default RE: Black Friday at Best Buy

I just got back from Best Buy but we couldn't find a parking space and my mom got pissed and we drove home. But we got there at 11:44 and the sale ended at 12 so I guess we didn't think the plan out.
Old 11-25-2005, 11:35 AM   #3
FishFishRevolution
GotR Creator
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to FishFishRevolution Send a message via Yahoo to FishFishRevolution Send a message via Skype™ to FishFishRevolution
Default RE: Black Friday at Best Buy

CARNAGE
Old 11-25-2005, 11:36 AM   #4
FishFishRevolution
GotR Creator
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Default Re: RE: Black Friday at Best Buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowereinside
I just got back from Best Buy but we couldn't find a parking space and my mom got pissed and we drove home. But we got there at 11:44 and the sale ended at 12 so I guess we didn't think the plan out.
Yeah, there would've been almost nothing good left.
Old 11-25-2005, 11:42 AM   #5
lightdarkness
Summer!!
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to lightdarkness Send a message via MSN to lightdarkness Send a message via Yahoo to lightdarkness Send a message via Skype™ to lightdarkness
Default RE: Re: RE: Black Friday at Best Buy

After dealing with the 360 (18 hours) I wasn't going for friday.
Old 11-25-2005, 12:21 PM   #6
JurseyRider734
lil j the bad b-word
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to JurseyRider734 Send a message via Skype™ to JurseyRider734

Man, I love shopping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrobean View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JurseyRider734
the fact that you're resorting to threatening physical violence says a lot anyway.
Just that you're a piece of shit who can't see reason and instead deserves a fucking beating.
JurseyRider734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 12:45 PM   #7
Yanah_God
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Yanah_God Send a message via MSN to Yanah_God

Hey, Fish. Why don't you go buy yourself a new chair? :P
Yanah_God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 12:57 PM   #8
DoubleBassSetup
FFR Player

I think we're going to Best Buy or Circuit City so that I can get my new stereo and some CDs.
I think the stereo is a Christmas present, though.
Along with my birthday/Christmas present a new computer, but we're not getting that today.
Best Buy>Circuit City
Fuzzy_Dorito: dragons r mystical
Fuzzy_Dorito: i luv those
Fuzzy_Dorito: mystical creatures
Fuzzy_Dorito: heavenly
Fuzzy_Dorito: mystical=heavens lil hotties
Fuzzy_Dorito: *mystical creatures
Fuzzy_Dorito: ...
Fuzzy_Dorito: a cobra?
DoubleBassSetup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 01:08 PM   #9
blahblah18
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to blahblah18

*sooooo jealous*

blahblah18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 01:15 PM   #10
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Squeek

Fish, I was at a Best Buy near here at 4:45 AM. Maybe 400th in line. Here's the story.

Started out at 4:37. My sister and my dad went to Circuit City together long before, but I was just woken up at 4:37 AM after going to bed at about 3:00. Not happy. Had to drive to Best Buy too. My cousin hops out of the car (it was in motion) and scores a place in line. Much waiting occurs. Got in, got what I wanted, got out in less than 15 minutes. On our way out, we see that there is STILL A LINE TO GET IN THE STORE. Fun. Then we went to the Toys R' Us across the street which was rockin' as they handed out free coffee. We were there for the free warmth though as we were waiting for Target to open right next door. We go in and the one thing we wanted most is sold out: Family Guy movie. So we eat breakfast at the local Burger King. A quick call to Team #2 ensures us that this movie is in widespread stockage at the Target they are in. We ask him to pick up a copy and all is well. After food, we stop by again at Circuit City because we forgot some things. There

Here's what we have so far. "So far" is like 7:30AM.

50-pack DVD+Rs
DVD-RW drive
120 GB HDD (the one you mentioned. I stole the last one which was in the wrong place. Glee.)
Multitudes of CDs and DVDs, including the Family Guy movie which we had to get and did and some season packs of random shows.

Almost got the Radeon X700 Pro too, but deferred against it as my X300 suffices for the most part. But we're not done. We decide to go to the biggest (and snootiest) mall in the area and browse. That was a large waste of time, but afterwards we go to another Best Buy. Surprisingly enough, this Best Buy is like the Target Team #2 went to; everything we wanted was in stock. And, amazingly enough, we find out that D-link wireless startup kits are selling for $15. That's a wireless router and a wireless router USB key to connect if your laptop is really crummy and didn't come with a wireless card (wink wink). Hot. I even saw the 120 GB HDD and the Radeon X700 Pro there. In bulk.

Moral of the story is; hit the good stores. The crappy ones suck.

~Squeek

PS - The prices and junk can be found here:

http://www.bf2005.com/bestbuy.html
http://www.bf2005.com/circuitcity.html
http://www.bf2005.com/target.html

PPS - First post from my laptop using my new wireless card.
Squeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 01:30 PM   #11
FishFishRevolution
GotR Creator
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

@ Yanah: I know, I really need one.

@ Squeek: JEALOUS. The HD's were gone when I got to them FIFTEEN SECONDS after the store opened.
Old 11-25-2005, 03:40 PM   #12
tnyhwk900
FFR Player
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to tnyhwk900

Quote:
Almost got the Radeon X700 Pro too, but deferred against it as my X300 suffices for the most part.
Ouch... Don't you play HL2? I didn't know a 300 could RUN that. You should have gotten it.
Old 11-25-2005, 04:31 PM   #13
Rebirth0
FFR Originalbro
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Early morning shoppiing was INSANE. I go with my grandparents to Best Buy at 4:00 AM to get a bunch of Christmas stuff, and there's a line about 1000 ft long single file. At 4:30 a huge stack of 17'' LCD monitors were brought out, I could safely say there were 200 monitors. In 30 minutes they were all gone, we were one of the last people to get one.

They had 40 ITG games, we were the first to get one (LUCKILY). 10 minutes, all 40 were gone.

The lines were well over two hours long. That was hell. Hell.

Hell.
Rebirth0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 04:49 PM   #14
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Default Re: RE: Re: RE: Black Friday at Best Buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnyhwk900
Quote:
Almost got the Radeon X700 Pro too, but deferred against it as my X300 suffices for the most part.
Ouch... Don't you play HL2? I didn't know a 300 could RUN that. You should have gotten it.
I already played it (who plays it more than once?). It ran just fine on HIGH graphics.

I'm playing FEAR right now on Medium, but I can go up a little more and still run it. It'll just lag up a bit when it has something difficult to render.

Just didn't feel like spending $100 when I didn't have to. I would understand if the change was from a piece of crap 64MB or a low-end 128MB card to this, but this is an X-series. It works just fine.

~Squeek
Old 11-26-2005, 08:47 PM   #15
lord_carbo
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to lord_carbo
Default RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Black Friday at Best Buy

Quote:
160 GB EXTERNAL HARD DRIVES - 79.99
I'MA GONA KILLS YOU!! God damnit that is one hell of a deal, there. I wish I was there, oh god...
Old 11-26-2005, 10:16 PM   #16
banditcom
FFR Player

Send a message via ICQ to banditcom Send a message via AIM to banditcom Send a message via Yahoo to banditcom Send a message via Skype™ to banditcom

Uhh a 160 gb external harddrive was for $49 after rebates at CompUSA... So I don't know what deal you guys are talking about.

And a 120 gb internal harddrive for $29? Uhh try a 200 gb Seagate for the same price at CompUSA... I went to CompUSA, obviously. I didn't know they opened at MIDNIGHT. I went there at 4:40 am, because the previous year I got there an hour early and was like 20th in line. BB, the year before, I got there at 1:30 am. Good times. Both of those were with a friend. This year it was alone.

Anyways, the 160 gb external was out. But the Seagate still had 2. So, I grabbed one, along with some dvd-r and dvd+rw (I don't even have a dvdrw drive). I also got a Logitech Orbit webcam that will be $49 after rebates.

Good job going to BB, waiting longer, and not getting as good of deals... :P
banditcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 10:28 PM   #17
lord_carbo
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to lord_carbo
Default Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Black Friday at Best Buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditcom
Uhh a 160 gb external harddrive was for $49 after rebates at CompUSA... So I don't know what deal you guys are talking about.

Well I don't think I even have any CompUSA's around here >_> Never seen one, at least. Sounds like a cool deal.
Old 11-26-2005, 11:08 PM   #18
Chromer
Hookers and Blow
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Chromer Send a message via Yahoo to Chromer

All I'm gonna say is you bastards had it easy. I had to be to WORK AT 5:00 AM. Where do I work? Dollar Tree, where evreything is a dollar. Let me sigh for a moment.

*SIGH*

Ok, I'm back. 8 HOURS OF THE MOST INSANE, REDICULOUS, ASININE, RETARDED CRAP I HAVE EVER DEALT WITH AS A CASHIER. DO YOU NKOW HOW MUCH CRAP PEOPLE BOUGHT THAT DAY!? ONE WOMAN ENDED UP SPEND $256.78 ON STUFF! AND SHE WAS THE VERY FIRST CUSTOMER! ARRGGGGHHHH! I HATE CHRISTMAS TIME!!!!!!!!!!

*Ahem*

Now that my ranting is done, I went shopping after work at Bath and Body Works for my mommy. Turns out, women were ummmm fighting in the store for certains products. I quietly purchased a $50.39 gift box, and was out before I got caught up in the PMS frenzy.
Old 11-27-2005, 02:25 PM   #19
esupin
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to esupin

How do you spend 256.78 at Dollar Tree?
Jesus H. Christ.

http://www.youtube.com/esupin
esupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 03:08 PM   #20
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Default Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Black Friday at Best Buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditcom
And a 120 gb internal harddrive for $29? Uhh try a 200 gb Seagate for the same price at CompUSA...
CompUSA didn't send us an ad. We saw on BF2005.com that they had an ad, but since we didn't get one, we didn't know what to do about it. Plus, we noticed this at 2:00AM that morning. So, no dice I suppose.

The problem is my board doesn't support IDE HDDs, so I have to get SATA. Not a single store sells them on Black Friday. None. NewEgg has a nice 250gb for 90 bucks I might look into.

I finished my holiday shopping today at GameStop. Got Baten Kaitos, Viewtiful Joe 2, and Sonic Adventure DX all for $35. FTW.

~Squeek