Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Life and Arts > Writing and Literature
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-2-2007, 03:57 PM   #1
FishFishRevolution
GotR Creator
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to FishFishRevolution Send a message via Yahoo to FishFishRevolution Send a message via Skype™ to FishFishRevolution
Default Introduction to a short story

This is the intro to a short story I'm working on, but I can't decide what direction I want to take it. I've got two lined up, neither of which I'll post, but if someone (Mal) feels like IMing me, I would really like to bounce ideas off them.

--

I've always thought of myself as rather perceptive. Not that I've nothing to learn, mind you, but that if I were tested in any given regard, I would score within the top 25 percent, just from having a generally good knowledge of things. Yet the more I read, the more I understand how deep the human intellectuality goes. There's a lot of emotional, spiritual, and metal knowledge that I consider myself to be aware of, but unable to spell out into words.

So when someone comes along and does an elegant job of saying something beautiful about social psyches or human emotions I think ,"well done, that's brilliant! Nothing I didn't already know, but brilliant all the same." But I didn't know it. I never thought of it, but I still feel like I've always known it. As if I was raised with an innate understanding of human interaction but missed the necessary method of articulation to get it out.

That being said, I do believe from time to time, given recent influences and circumstances, I am just barely able to make myself understood in a way that might further human existence. This new idea I've just stumbled upon is hardly relevant in comparison to literary greats and is dwarfed by their prolific works, but I feel is important to express all the same.

Whether they know it or not, everyone in the world who strives for a goal, and especially those whose goal is learning or understanding, also strive to simplify the world. Human nature, emotion, psychology, science, art, thought processes, desire, fear, loss, and anything else worth learning about is put into a funnel and driven towards one answer. Life is the eternal enigma and we are all searching for the simple answer. This is not as apparent in some fields as it is in sociology. Those who study human relationships are constantly trying defined narrow their findings into simple explanations that come closer and closer to one simple equation or phrase.

When science can easily explain life with an "x = 0," we as a global unit believe that life will then be solved. But this equation has not, and likely will not be discovered, and especially will not be expressed by math. The closest mankind has come to this simplicity of expression is with music. Many great things are said with words. Many irreplaceable things which are defined, set, and easy to see. But music takes expression to the personal level where anyone with the ability to hear can understand fully the artist's message in their own mind. In this way a single song can say more than any book or library could. That is simplicity. That is understanding.

Keep the previous ramblings in mind now, as you venture into this strange story of my youth. It was through music that we met.
Old 08-6-2007, 07:05 PM   #2
FoJaR
The Worst

Send a message via AIM to FoJaR Send a message via MSN to FoJaR
Default Re: Introduction to a short story

too wordy, unless the story takes place in victorian england.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:11 PM   #3
choclatebandit
FFR Player

Default Re: Introduction to a short story

I think it is very well written. Probably targeted toward adults more then teens , am I right. Grammer is nice and you expained things without using repetitive words. Great use of vocabulary. I like it. Maybe you can somehow use the word earlair own because it gives the misconception that it 's about something else. Also people might skip ahead to find out exactly why your saying all these things. All in all very well written.
choclatebandit is offline   Reply With Quote