Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2024, 04:12 PM   #1
Andromena_M31
FFR Player

Arrow How can I make money on the side?

I want to get some more money because

1. I want to buy a old retro 4:3 tv and a couple of SNES and N64 games (especially earthbound and majora's mask)

2. Save up money for university

Hope yall have a good day!

Last edited by Andromena_M31; 01-18-2024 at 10:18 AM..
Andromena_M31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 06:36 PM   #2
Lambdadelta
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: How can I make money on the side?

I'm going to assume you're under 18.
In Canada we can get certain types of jobs as young as 14 years old, I'm not sure what your circumstance is but it might be worthwhile to look into getting a part time job, something simple that doesn't require a whole lot of experience.
Not only will it give you a sense of purpose and pride but it'll also instill some worth ethic into you over time along with a somewhat stable income.

Definitely look into the laws of where you currently live because then you'll know for certain what you're able to work, if anything at all,
Old 01-13-2024, 11:37 PM   #3
Andromena_M31
FFR Player

Thanks for the advice!
Old 01-14-2024, 12:22 AM   #4
awein999
(ಠ⌣ಠ)
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to awein999

talk to your family about your desire to help earn money. they could help you figure out how you can help in your specific situation where strangers on here can't know.

generally depending on your age and neighborhood you could offer to do yard work, shoveling for neighbors, some babysitting, dog walking etc.

Last edited by awein999; 01-14-2024 at 12:23 AM..
awein999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2024, 04:04 AM   #5
Rapta
🡸Index🡻Is🡹Fun!🡺
Global ModeratorMultiplayer ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by awein999 View Post
talk to your family about your desire to help earn money. they could help you figure out how you can help in your specific situation where strangers on here can't know.

generally depending on your age and neighborhood you could offer to do yard work, shoveling for neighbors, some babysitting, dog walking etc.
solid advice right here
Note the left hand pinky. It stretches out into attack mode to make etienne's hand appear larger, an intimidation technique for the arrows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mourningfall
[3:51 PM] Mourningfall: i spent the second half of that song getting face fucked by a fly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiz View Post
Hi I see rapta come play TWG next game
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXOpkillerXx View Post
Rapta thinks alot about memes and fonts. I'd be inclined to think he's town because wolves wouldn't have time to meme would they ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prawnskunk
if we keep releasing engines that work on 1/4 of people's computers, we'll get there
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold stinger
do u even agrabah
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold stinger
Today at 12:53 AM
I have no fucking idea how you were able to identify that specific line from meme show so you are basically an elder god of memes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychotik
When I think Mother’s Day, I think Venetian Snares.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haku
have you heard someone mention eating pancakes to negate friday 13th?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prawnskunk at 10:53:56pm on 10/26/11
OMFG VC! I want your programming fingers in or around my mouth OnO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storn at 3:03 PM
We have so many batches open. Its like a backlog clearance sale. ALL FILES MUST GO!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonE156 at 11:07 PM
You've never felt intimacy until you've practiced Jiu Jitsu ground techniques with the only girl in class
Rapta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2024, 01:19 PM   #6
MarioNintendo
Expect delays.
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

1. See if you can sell some things you already own and aren't using. That could help you finance your next purchase. Some people's trash are other people's treasures! I have had some success with Facebook's Marketplace and eBay over the years.

Also, since you are mentioning retro games, see if you can find alternatives that would be more cost effecient than the real deal. I know this might seem like boring advice, but I have been collecting video games for almost 20 years now and I think my perspective can be relevant for you. For example, there are many avenues available today that I would personally recommend over owning the real stuff:

- Emulation, it's totally free and is usually accurate enough to give you an equivalent experience
- Everdrives, made by Krikzz (https://krikzz.com/), are cartridges than you can plug into original consoles and run ROMs from an SD card. Impossible to tell the difference between a game played from an Everdrive and a real cartridge
- The MiSTer FPGA, which uses the same technology as Everdrives, but can replicate entire consoles and arcade cabinets. You can even connect it to retro TVs with the right adapter. If you're thinking of deeply exploring the rabbit hole that is retro gaming, I would keep this option on the back of my mind. This is how I do all of my retro gaming. See https://felixleger.com/posts/2020/10...e-mister-fpga/

The reasons I don't recommend investing in genuine retro consoles and games in 2024 are:

- Once you've had your fun, in 10+ years you probably will think about selling them to get your money back. Retro games are expensive and often grow in value, which makes them seem like an investment. However, selling them is a journey and takes time to find the right buyer. See https://felixleger.com/posts/2021/03...rding-project/
- As retro video games age, they need to be maintained in working order. Parts can be difficult to come across. This is great if you are interested in learning how these machines are made and work, but you have to be ready for it.
- Games such as Earthbound are popular among retro enthusiasts, and for this reason it is tempting for sellers to sell a bootleg copy as the real deal. Make sure you know what to look for before buying so you're getting what you think you're getting, otherwise you'll have a difficult time selling at market value, unless you rip off another collector (I don't recommend it!)

If you have any questions on the topic of retro collecting, feel free to reach out directly, I would be happy to assist on that front and prevent you from making the same mistakes I made when I was beginning.

---
2. Have you had a discussion with your parents about their stress levels around money? They might have suggestions for you about what would help them. By the way, many adults struggle with money because they were never taught how to think about money. Education is the best recommendation I can make here. If you want to help your parents on that front, the best way might be to look for reliable sources of information. Gaining money is one thing; knowing how to use it right is a whole other thing! If you find the material below relevant, share it with them and try to have discussions on those topics.

One of my favorite resource for learning how to think differently about money is Ramit Sethi's I Will Teach You To Be Rich. He also has a popular podcast on the same topic (https://www.iwillteachyoutoberich.com/podcast/) that my partner and I listened to together many times before going to bed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgravel View Post
Mario's files are top notch, so every time he submits a file I get excited in my pants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hi19hi19 View Post
This guy, MarioNintendo?
Click the bricks

Last edited by MarioNintendo; 01-14-2024 at 03:53 PM..
MarioNintendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 12:21 AM   #7
Andromena_M31
FFR Player

I want to say quick that I made it sound like my situation is worse then it actually is. I should have worded it diffrently. it's just that living in a big family cost a lot. But my living is not bad, it's good. It was just for a moment it felt like we were because of the lack of info I had. We have money for the necessities and more. Im sorry to lead people in the wrong direction. I sincerely apologies.

Last edited by Andromena_M31; 01-16-2024 at 12:24 AM..
Old 01-16-2024, 01:04 AM   #8
awein999
(ಠ⌣ಠ)
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to awein999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andromena_M31 View Post
I want to say quick that I made it sound like my situation is worse then it actually is. I should have worded it diffrently. it's just that living in a big family cost a lot. But my living is not bad, it's good. It was just for a moment it felt like we were because of the lack of info I had. We have money for the necessities and more. Im sorry to lead people in the wrong direction. I sincerely apologies.
you didn't say anything wrong. your desires are important no matter the situation. happy to offer advice and if it turns out you feel more settled about it after talking with your family that's great!
awein999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 06:50 PM   #9
MarioNintendo
Expect delays.

Yup, totally alright. Maybe I went overboard. I'm happy that things are good for you. If you have enough for the necessities and more, then that's awesome. It means you have an opportunity that most people will never live: you have a chance at investing. There are many great books on the subject, such as Millionaire Teacher. No matter how much money you have access to, you will never be done learning about how to wisely use money. I hope that someone "rich" on this forum would confirm. I'm still learning how these things work.

Here's something random about money that I don't hear a lot about. You can make an Excel sheet that shows you in how many years you'll get 1 million dollars if you save (in the right type of account, etc....) X amount of dollars per year.

This will be depressing for some, and will be a source of joy for others. But it is the bare truth. Knowing is better than not knowing, because knowledge is power.

Have a happy life!

Quote:
Mario's files are top notch, so every time he submits a file I get excited in my pants.
Quote:
This guy, MarioNintendo?
Click the bricks

Last edited by MarioNintendo; 01-18-2024 at 06:07 AM..
Old 01-19-2024, 06:42 AM   #10
JibsterGamez
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

So as someone who has always been reasonably good with money numbers I've decided to redo this graph with a few extra additions as well. The top left table is exactly the same as the previous one, the other ones either account for mortgage rates (for the first 30 years deductible from tax) and/or local tax rates. (All based on dutch law / economy)
On top of that I've also calculated the average yearly income left over after cost of living (excluding mortgage/rent payments since those have already been included).

Now it should be noted that the tax i'm applying is income tax that's constant at this rate over X years. But it should be roughly correct since your income will also grow with the taxes if the government is doing mentally okay.

But in the most reasonable of circumstances where you do not spend a single penny more than you should (no vacations, living frugal) you'd need to work well beyond your pension age (in my case if I start right now working a job that requires experience and a diploma in my sector of preference I'd need to quit at age 90) and that's not even counting the roughly €50.000 of student loan debt i'd acquire and have rent over paying that back.

Graphs like these are only fun when you don't look at the external circumstances, but only considering tax and rent/mortgage you're already looking at an incredibly depressing image considering the maximum amount of work you'll be doing is 50 years if you're around 20yo and the fact you won't start near the underlined amount at all starting out your career. I'd be dead before I'd be a millionaire

Top Score:
Welcome to My Kastle [85]
4 - 0 - 0 - 2 / 82.79 EQ

Top AAA:
Agartha [79]

Top SDG:
Welcome to my Kastle [85]

Top FC:
Title (Double Dragon) [89]
JibsterGamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 01:50 PM   #11
MarioNintendo
Expect delays.

Very interesting! I'm clearly not as well versed as you are in personal finance. I notice that you use a 2.46% average annual annual interest rate, what's the reasoning behind that choice? Is it linked to mortgage?

Quote:
Quote:
This guy, MarioNintendo?
Click the bricks

Old 01-22-2024, 09:16 AM   #12
JibsterGamez
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioNintendo View Post
Very interesting! I'm clearly not as well versed as you are in personal finance. I notice that you use a 2.46% average annual annual interest rate, what's the reasoning behind that choice? Is it linked to mortgage?
Unfortunately these are the rates over here for banks that are well known by name / stable in terms of how long they exist. And since the government only guarantees up to €100.000 money back if a bank crashes the mortgage providers do not put a lot of trust in those banks (even if they go up to like 4-5%). 2.46% is actually the HIGHEST rate you're getting with the known banks right now, and even the one I selected is still quite new on the market in terms of how well-trusted they are.

This is all mainly an after-effect of the '07-'08 global crisis (thanks USA), on top of that we had the European debt crisis where several eurozone member states were unable to repay or refinance their government debt. The housing crisis has been hitting insanely hard here as well all leading to a really stagnant economy that's only been getting worse. And then the Russo-Ukrainian war came around, COVID and more and the oil supply got fucked. As you can see this has all led to a big decrease in rates that's only recently been going up again, though it looks like a dead cat bounce so i suspect it'll be back at 1-2% for ALL banks soon again as well.

Here are some historic rates the past 20 years for 10-year and 5-year secured rates. Again, all this is based on the local economy in the Netherlands, but things aren't quite as bright anywhere in the world right now it seems.

Top Score:
Welcome to My Kastle [85]
4 - 0 - 0 - 2 / 82.79 EQ

Top AAA:
Agartha [79]

Top SDG:
Welcome to my Kastle [85]

Top FC:
Title (Double Dragon) [89]
JibsterGamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 09:06 PM   #13
Travis_Flesher
Champion
FFR Veteran

The fact that you are asking here tells me you are looking for 'easy money.'
Because simple "money on the side" is not something you need to ask an internet forum for tips on.
What do you need extra money for?
What skills do you offer?

Last edited by Travis_Flesher; 01-22-2024 at 09:08 PM..
Travis_Flesher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 10:22 AM   #14
DotKritic
Forum User

Examples from personal experience that may or may not apply to you:

1. Donate plasma. Takes about 45 minutes to an hour per donation 2x maximum donations per week. $110-$120 per week.

2. Work a part-time merchandiser job. I started working for Retail Merchandising Services (RMS) earlier this week. About 10 hours a week, roughly $13usd an hour. I'm a merchandiser vendor for a Super Target near my house. I go in this evening to break down the Valentines Day greeting cards and set up the Mother's Day cards if the shipment came in.

Both act as a secondary income with my full-time Amazon job.

FFR Member Since December 17th, 2004
DotKritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-6-2024, 02:40 AM   #15
Mollocephalus
Custom User Title
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Mollocephalus

this is the kind of thread where it would have been really hard not to get banned giving terrible advice in 2007

Last edited by Mollocephalus; 03-6-2024 at 02:40 AM..
Mollocephalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 03:07 AM   #16
domenprevc
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andromena_M31 View Post
I want to get some more money because

1. I want to buy a old retro 4:3 tv and a couple of SNES and N64 games (especially earthbound and majora's mask)

2. Save up money for university

Hope yall have a good day!
what about become a writer and publish book on amazon.
domenprevc is offline   Reply With Quote