Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Critical Thinking
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-5-2005, 10:48 AM   #21
CMCAdvanced
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to CMCAdvanced Send a message via Yahoo to CMCAdvanced

Trust me, she isn't depressed.
She wouldn't just shout "I'm depressed!!!" rather, she would silently tell her self that while cutting down the highway, not across the street.
Old 04-5-2005, 11:17 AM   #22
Cenright
You thought I was a GUY?!
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Location: Beaumont (A town with 25 times fewer people than this site)
Send a message via AIM to Cenright Send a message via MSN to Cenright Send a message via Yahoo to Cenright

The mind can work wonders. With a placebo there to make the mind think that there is true relief, a person in a lot of pain can actually feel better after taking it. The thing is is that it is all in their mind.

It is incredible what the mind can do for itself.
Cenright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-5-2005, 11:29 AM   #23
CMCAdvanced
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to CMCAdvanced Send a message via Yahoo to CMCAdvanced

I like to think of it this way. Most people are just lost in miles and miles of bullshit.
And I see no end to this road.
People just abuse things, and they always will.
People that have a placebo effecting them, are just weak minded. Mostly, from what I've seen
Old 04-5-2005, 03:33 PM   #24
Meteor858
FFR Supporter! OF DOOM!!!
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Meteor858

you make a forceful arguement and if you ever see her cutting you know theres something wrong trust me

Meteor858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-5-2005, 11:28 PM   #25
ayanepuck
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to ayanepuck

This is a little long, but I make valid points, I think...or at least I am trying.

Maybe I missed something, but in reading through all these posts, I didn't see anyone talking about this girl trying to get attention as a bad thing. She may not be depressed, but there is something wrong with a person who demads that much attention to his/herself.

About medication....I take medication for anxiety and depression, and it took a hella long time to find the one that fit me best. Medication does not always work (right away or ever,) and there are some that backfire and make matters worse. It is very difficult choosing medication when dealing with depression, anxiety, or both. As someone who suffers from both, I have sympathy for this girl in a way, but in another way I tend to agree with what is being said in here.

I do believe there are some people who use it as an excuse, (I go to school with some, and being a theatre major, I am bound to run into many more...) and I think that is sad, but I also see that as a problem. If a person needs to make up the fact that he/she is depressed, then that is a serious problem.

About cutting, I am also a former cutter. Nothing bothers me more, however, than a person who cuts on his/her arms and then wears short sleeve t-shirts or tank tops on purpose, just to let everyone know what is going on, and then pretends to cover them up later. That sickens me. Granted, there are times when one forgets that they have done that, and people see it (which is how I was found out) but a person who really has a cutting problem will not hint that they have one, and in most cases will go to great lengths to make sure that the cuts and/or scars are covered at all times.

I have come to terms with the scars left over on my arms and legs, and ocassionally I will look at them and feel exceedingly stupid for doing that to myself, but most of the time I try not to talk about it to people, because the attention received from something like that is never the kind of attention that should be sought after. The fact that this person is wanting that kind of attention is dangerous.

I will use my friend Taylor as an example. Taylor would have been 17 this January, instead she hanged herself in her room last April. I have a feeling that Taylor's intentions were not to kill herself, but rather, to get her mother's attention, and her mother just happened to stay out of the room a little longer than planned.

So rather than getting angry with this person, and making fun of her, attempt to help her to best of your abilities, which might include getting a parent or teacher involved. (I know this sounds after-school special-esque....but hey, I am trying.)
ayanepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-5-2005, 11:43 PM   #26
Meteor858
FFR Veteran

ayanepuck, I got some advice for you. Tell someone about your cutting. It can be anyone(preferably someone close to like a friends or relative) talkin will help the feeling of stupidity go away, and it may help wipe some bad thoughts from your mind.
Me for example, I cut, I don't hide it even though i know it might attract unwanted attention, it alerts others to the situation and may incourage them to help, but if they make fun of me or you anyone for it. WHO CARES if they do theyre obviously full of shit.

Old 04-6-2005, 12:32 AM   #27
Cenright
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Cenright Send a message via MSN to Cenright Send a message via Yahoo to Cenright

ayane feels stupid because it was a stupid thing to do. Meteor, you must not have much of a braincell if you think cutting to be ok. ayane understands what her problem was. You though, still seem to have the problem, yet don't think anything of it. They make fun of you because of your stupidity. No one made fun of ayane, the feelings of stupidity came from her, and they should. To not want to remedy the problem means the person's mind is completely twisted and messed up, or they are a complete idiot.
Old 04-6-2005, 12:37 AM   #28
Meteor858
FFR Veteran

Ummm.... no crap its a stupid thing to do and i dont like doing it one bit, but at the same time im not ashamed of it, and kids make fun of others for pretty much, hmm...... lets see here... everything

Old 04-6-2005, 12:40 AM   #29
Cenright
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

She wasn't ashamed either, but she was feeling stupid for it. But we are talking about the people who flaunt it as a trophy.
Old 04-6-2005, 01:24 AM   #30
hatakikakashi
FFR Player

I get depressed alot. But not all the time. You go in and out. Depression isn't some kind of disease that once you get it you've got it forever. She probably really does get depressed sometimes. Like when she thinks about how noone pays any attention to her unless she acts out. She may feel worthless, I know I do sometimes.

I used to cut myself mostly on my chest and shoulders( so that noone would be able to see them.) then one time it got real bad and I cut all up and down my left forearm, I don't know why I did that. but after everyone saw them and told me how dumb I was I stoped doing it. I've got several bad scars now and they'll be there for the rest of my life. I still can't figure out what (if anything) was going through my mind. At first they were more like scratches than cuts but then I started using razors. I wish I could take them all back.
Old 04-6-2005, 01:28 AM   #31
GuidoHunter
is against custom titles
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to GuidoHunter Send a message via Skype™ to GuidoHunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatakikakashi
Depression isn't some kind of disease that once you get it you've got it forever.
Plenty of people would jump at the chance to refute you. If it's not considered a disease why are there so many medications out there for it?

Oh, and ayane wasn't secretive about her cutting at all, and getting her friends involved was one of the best things to get her to stop.

--Guido

http://andy.mikee385.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandiagod View Post
Quote:
She has an asshole, in other pics you can see a diaper taped to her dead twin's back.
Sentences I thought I never would have to type.
GuidoHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-6-2005, 02:58 AM   #32
sleeplessdragn
~Bang that beat Harder~
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

The thinking behind the act of cutting varies widely depending on the person and how they feel about themselves and what they feel others are thinking about them. What must be understood is that cutting is not always a sign of depression, but the two can be connected.

The most common cause of self-infliction is due to an extreme internal feeling of pain and a desire to portray that pain physically, as a sort of release. Others feel that it is necessary to cut because internally they believe that pity can grow from such an act, and this form of thinking involves low self-esteem and a need for attention. Guido, getting friends involved is sometimes not such a good thing to do, because it matters greatly on what the motive to cut was. Involving other people can sometimes add to the fire, since it may cause feelings of insecruity. However, realizing and accepting the problem, and then going to counseling always has positive results.

And depression is considered a mental disease, and just like certain cancers, it is possible to be treated; yet untreated it can easily become worse.
Old 04-6-2005, 10:52 AM   #33
hatakikakashi
FFR Player

Ok One just because there is medication for it, doesn't make it a disease. Two, that wasn't the point I was making. The point I was trying to get across in that sentence is that depression comes and goes, It's not a CONSTANT INCUREABLE disease that you will have FOREVER If I were to say AIDS isn't a disease that you know you have right after you contract it. I wouldn't be saying that aids isn't a disease.
Old 04-6-2005, 06:17 PM   #34
hEaLiNgViSiOnAnGeLicMiX
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to hEaLiNgViSiOnAnGeLicMiX

Wow I thought this this thread died ages ago. Guess not, but I have something to add to it...to give you more info on "Kathy"

As I had said in the first post, Kathy chose the topic of 'Depression' for her french speech. She presented this speech on Monday. The way she spoke... it just really... confused me. She called it "My Story of Depression" At the beginning she spoke briefly of what depression is, what the symptoms may appear to be, how to get help, etc. Then she spoke of her 'own experience' with deprsesion. It was...so awkward(sp?) She said hte following.

"Quelques fois, j'ai caché mes pillules dans mes tirroirs parce que je ne voulais pas accepter que j'avais une 'maladie!" Mais plus tard, mon dépression est devenue plus pire, et ma mère a trouvé toute les médicaments que j'ai caché!"

Meaning: "Sometimes, I would hide my pills in the my droors because I just didn't want to acept hte fact that I was 'sick'. But later on, my depression became worse, and soon enough my mother found the pills that I had hidden away." This started to make me think that...maybe she really DOES have some sort of serious depression? If she refused to accept the fact that she was depressed, and this whole 'depression' issue was just in her mind, why would it seem to her that her symptoms had worsened?

At the same time, her voice and expression confused me more. She was HAPPY and SMILING. I've known Kathy all my life almost, I've competed with her on multiple occasions during oratory contests. She normally uses the ton of voice that would show how she feels about whatever topic she is talking about. Her expression this time? HAPPINESS. As she spoke the words I quoted above (and pretty much the rest of the speech) she was smiling, not only that but she would not help but throw out a small chuckle or giggle.

It's just that to me...she seemed way to happy to be talking about what she was going through. What you guys said about 'telling people and getting help' was right, but if this is her way of 'asking for help' I personally interpret it as "HEY I'M DEPRESSED WANNA HELP ME?! YEAH I REALLY NEED HELP! PLEASE?! :d" I just don't get it.
hEaLiNgViSiOnAnGeLicMiX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-6-2005, 08:27 PM   #35
hatakikakashi
FFR Player

suffering from depression(the disease) doesn't mean your sad all the time. You can laugh and have fun too.
Old 04-6-2005, 09:10 PM   #36
Snowcraftanyo
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Snowcraftanyo

I really see nothing wrong with being depressed. It's bound to happen, and all of us experiance it. As for attention-whoring, it comes from a resonable perspective. Meaning, when your down, blue, alone, you ust want people to know your there, so openly displaying it is alright, as long as it isnt an OH LOOK AT ME! fashon. So my overall thoughts are depression is alright in the right times. But dont abuse it.
Snowcraftanyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-6-2005, 09:39 PM   #37
GuidoHunter
is against custom titles
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to GuidoHunter Send a message via Skype™ to GuidoHunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowcraftanyo
It's bound to happen, and all of us experiance it.
No.

First off, not everyone suffers from depression. As for just being down every once and a while, I haven't felt bad in I-don't-know-how-long, which is at least seven years, but probably longer.

--Guido

http://andy.mikee385.com

Quote:
Quote:
She has an asshole, in other pics you can see a diaper taped to her dead twin's back.
Sentences I thought I never would have to type.
GuidoHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-7-2005, 12:39 AM   #38
sleeplessdragn
~Bang that beat Harder~
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Many teenagers mistake hormones for depression. This is why I am always skeptical when someone says they in fact are depressed. While many may feel "depressed" if their dog dies, in a few weeks they are quite normal again. If the same person were depressed, the recovery time would be much, much greater, if even at all. And the same mistake cannot be made about being pessimistic either. I, myself, am a very pessimistic (or as I like to say "realistic") person, and many people have mistaken that for depression.

My statement-"People die everyday, I've learned to get over it. You and I are both going to die at one point."
The response I am given-"omg he's SO depressed, he wants to kill himself!"
Old 04-7-2005, 10:46 PM   #39
Meteor858
FFR Veteran

Dragon that gets me to thinkin do i really have depression, or is it just hormones startin to screw with me? I dunno but im still pretty sure i got depression.
Well as for Kathy,
I'm not sure why she would be smiling while talkin bout that, but I think its possible that she feels better knowing that shes seeking help by telling others.
At the same time though, she could be fine, I suggest you watch her closely and search up depression on the internet from www.hopeline.com they have good links and facts about depression and suicide and stuff like it.
-meteor

Old 04-11-2005, 10:39 PM   #40
ayanepuck
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to ayanepuck

I know this "thread died ages ago..." but I wanted to see the posts left after my essay of a comment...and I wanted to clear something up. I have already told people about my cutting, and that is why I stopped. Guidohunter was right about the fact that I wasn't secretive (later) but I was secretive at first because it was an outlet for pain that I was feeling internally, and I was quite content with doing it at the time. Eventually, however, one person found out, and she told some of my friends, and so on....and I decided the best thing to do was to be honest with all my friends and every one of them were very supportive and I eventually stopped.
Okay, now that I feel better, I promise I won't bring this back up.
ayanepuck is offline   Reply With Quote