Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Life and Arts > Films and Television
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-2-2014, 02:59 AM   #1
smartdude1212
2 is poo
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default The Amazing Spider-Man 2

I just saw it at an advance screening, and enjoyed the hell out of it. I found out afterwards that the reviews are fairly mixed -- likely for the same reasons that people didn't like Raimi's #3 (which I also thoroughly enjoyed).

Anyway, this one sets us up for a few sequels/spinoffs (Sinister Six among others omg), and I'm excited. These are the only superhero-related movies I look forward to.

Now, go out and watch it tonight, and then discuss.
smartdude1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-2-2014, 03:03 AM   #2
Poison-
Nope
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: The Amazing Spider-Man 2

Will most likely see it tonight. Can't really say I'm super excited about it, but I hope it's good!
Poison- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-2-2014, 05:57 AM   #3
Nyokou
( ̄ー ̄)
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Nyokou

Cool. Will be watching it on Saturday with my bro and his waifu.
Old 05-2-2014, 06:39 AM   #4
XelNya
[Nobody liked that.]
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

It was alright. It had one major of those "even in this universe, this is bullshit" moments, but other than that it was pretty fine.

SPOILER OF THE MOVIE HERE. CLICK AT OWN RISK.

Sorry but the pilots are not Spiderman, and no way could have avoided impact with such a short amount of time. If Spiderman had flown the plane however, the other problem would be that he's obviously not trained to do this. They should have had them crash mid-air when all this shit went down. It would have had more impact and I wouldn't be here bitching about it.

SPOILER OF THE MOVIE HERE. CLICK AT OWN RISK.

It looked great, the acting was actually pretty good. Parker wasn't a complete bitch like the others, the humor was used in the right spots, crap Parker actually felt a bit too cocky almost. (Although Sony, that product placement was a bit too overwhelming for anyone who actually looks for it like I do.)

Maybe a 7/10?

Last edited by XelNya; 05-2-2014 at 06:44 AM..
XelNya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-2-2014, 11:16 AM   #5
Mahou
魔法少女
FFR Veteran

Pretty hype for this movie since I really enjoyed the remake of the first one. I'll be seeing it later tonight around 8 PM.
Mahou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-4-2014, 09:07 AM   #6
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

The trailer basically spoils the movie
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-4-2014, 01:59 PM   #7
One Winged Angel
Anime Avatars ( ◜◡^)っ✂╰⋃╯
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by XelNya View Post
Although Sony, that product placement was a bit too overwhelming for anyone who actually looks for it like I do.
lol you didn't even need to actively look for it, Vaios were plastered everywhere.

I told my friends the movie would be tainted as soon as Paul Jangomango made his appearance...and then that happened immediately. Didn't like the twat that played Harry. I still hate Andrew Garfield (for no reason aside from him getting to plow Emma Stone on a regular basis), although admittedly he did a pretty good job I'd say. It wasn't as bad as I had initially anticipated but still nothing spectacular.

one of my friends keeps insisting that he said "Hey I know that guy, he delivers my pizzas!" and I absolutely refuse to believe this because that's too fucking funny, did this actually happen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikexd View Post
i want to be cucked by cirno
One Winged Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-5-2014, 06:05 PM   #8
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

I didn't hear any pizza thing -- just "I think I know that guy!"

PS I really disliked the movie. I usually like superhero movies, but there were too many problems evenly-distributed throughout the entire thing that made it hard for me to just kick back and enjoy it.

1. Too many hammy lines.

2. How do you go from saying "I haven't seen him in ten years" despite living in the same city, to "He's my best pal"? It just seemed kinda odd to me.

3. Making Peter's parents super-spies completely ruins the backstory for me. The whole point of the Spider-Man story is that he's just an ordinary dude who chose to take up the responsibility of being a superhero and embrace the freak accident he endured. Especially the whole "LOL MY DNA IN TEH SPIDERS!" thing pretty much means that the only person who could possibly be Spiderman is... well, Peter Parker. What are the odds that the one kid who could become Spiderman actually becomes Spiderman?

4. Uncle Ben's influence on Peter Parker is virtually absent from this movie / Peter's character development.

5. Spiderman was a dick for basically meeting Harry with the sole purpose of turning him down and getting him angry. It would have been much easier for Peter to be like "lol I couldn't find him sorry dude."

6. The itsy bitsy spider thing. Come on.

7. That stuff with the pilots. Come on.

8. The synthesizer thing. Come on.

9. OK POWER GRID'S YOURS HERE'S A RANDOM OUTLET.

10. Every time Electro gets pissed off, everything turns to dubstep, gurahahggh.

11. The transformation from Harry to Green Goblin was totally rushed. He's almost an afterthought, like Venom was in SM3. On a separate note, I also dislike the guy who plays Harry.

12. So much wasted talent. Sally Field and Paul Giamatti were under-used / mis-used.

13. A nitpick, but I dislike how the Rhino is basically a huge mech/animalistic-tank thing. I would have at least preferred a big suit of armor or something, like they were originally going to do: https://robert-simons-pevb.squarespa...n-2-rhino-suit

14. I understand that Max Dillon was a bit of an outcast who just wanted to be noticed, but I can't suspend my disbelief enough to assume that he'd go from "bitter loner" to "fucking angry murderer" just because of a misunderstanding in Times Square.

Idk there are a lot more I could say but I am lazy. I thought Garfield and Stone did a good job with what they were given. There were also tons of easter eggs to pick up on.

Last edited by Reincarnate; 05-5-2014 at 06:29 PM..
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:44 PM   #9
_SWiTCH_
FFR Player

The only two issues i had with the movie was:

1. It was all over the place. There was just to much going on in the plot.

2. GREEN GOBLIN KILLS GWEN. NOT HARRY.
_SWiTCH_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 11:34 PM   #10
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Afrobean

I saw this movie recently. So I'm going to give my thoughts as I multi-quote some things from Reincarnate's post. There might be some light spoilers, but nothing as big as the one in the post above this one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincarnate View Post
1. Too many hammy lines.
They tossed out the "grit" of the first film in favor of camp that everyone claims to love about the Raimi films. This film isn't much of a sequel to The Amazing Spider-man. It's like a tribute to the Raimi films. Everything that made the earlier film unique and different was scrapped here. They even did an "Itsy Bitsy Spider" gag... just like Raimi's first Spider-man movie.

Quote:
2. How do you go from saying "I haven't seen him in ten years" despite living in the same city, to "He's my best pal"? It just seemed kinda odd to me.
It wasn't super clear, but there was a sizeable passage of time. Presumably, Harry and Peter were hanging out together off-screen more than that one time by the river.

Quote:
3. Making Peter's parents super-spies completely ruins the backstory for me.
They weren't super-spies. They were scientists on the run. This much was clear even in the first movie, I think. However, in the comics, they WERE spies. So there's that precedent...

Quote:
4. Uncle Ben's influence on Peter Parker is virtually absent from this movie / Peter's character development.
Just because he's not felt directly doesn't mean he's not important. Uncle Ben's influence informs everything Peter does as Spider-man. They don't need to trot out the dead character to teach him something new like Raimi did, especially when we already have Captain Stacey "haunting" Peter already.

Quote:
5. Spiderman was a dick for basically meeting Harry with the sole purpose of turning him down and getting him angry. It would have been much easier for Peter to be like "lol I couldn't find him sorry dude."
He felt like he owed his DYING FRIEND an explanation.

Quote:
11. The transformation from Harry to Green Goblin was totally rushed. He's almost an afterthought, like Venom was in SM3. On a separate note, I also dislike the guy who plays Harry.
I thought it worked well enough... right up to him putting on that special suit. There should have been a line somewhere about how that suit could protect against advanced stages of that TOTALLY-NOT-MADE-UP disease. I think they hinted at it, but it was too subtle. Why would Harry even go for it when he's in excruciating pain?

Quote:
12. So much wasted talent. Sally Field and Paul Giamatti were under-used / mis-used.
Giamatti was there for pure camp and clearly was having a good time with the part. He'll be back again, so I think it works OK. I also think Sally Field did well as Aunt May. I love it when they hint that Aunt May knows he's Spider-man, even if it's innocent enough that they could reveal that she actually was clueless the whole time and the things she said were totally coincidental.

Quote:
13. A nitpick, but I dislike how the Rhino is basically a huge mech/animalistic-tank thing. I would have at least preferred a big suit of armor or something, like they were originally going to do: https://robert-simons-pevb.squarespa...n-2-rhino-suit
I don't like this either.

Quote:
14. I understand that Max Dillon was a bit of an outcast who just wanted to be noticed, but I can't suspend my disbelief enough to assume that he'd go from "bitter loner" to "fucking angry murderer" just because of a misunderstanding in Times Square.
He was off-balance before the transformation, and changing into a being of pure electricity made him full-crazy. This can make a little sense, sane people given electroshock treatment can become significantly less-well in the head.