Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Critical Thinking
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-9-2009, 06:46 AM   #1
Arch0wl
Banned
FFR Simfile Author

Default Getting people to read your posts on forums

Some websites are nice. You can discuss ideas freely and it's assumed that what you typed will be read.

Forget that dream though, because most forums are filled with ADD teenagers and intellectually lazy adults. Points that need exposition are only accepted at the assertion level, so you get arguments like "all dogs are fat. you're dumb. police like donuts. [etc]"--the moment that "because" goes in there it's like an Anti-Supporting Argument Shield is activated in the brains of your readers.

Because you're a name on a screen it's very hard to change the way they think, so you just have to deal with them. In my time, I've found a few strategies that consistently work. Here's some ways to trick people into listening to you:

1. If you quote someone in a reply, do it two times at max.

When I was 15, I thought I was very good at arguing. Actually, I was just very good at being right. Quote trees always happen from people who care more about the comforting feeling they get from feeling right.

Quote-reply-quote-reply, by the 3rd reply, muddles the discussion so much that eventually the only people reading it are you and the person you're arguing with. At that point you're just arguing to squash any doubt that you may not be better than the other guy, not to convince anyone.

Obviously, you have to abandon the OCD urge to address everything they said. Which brings me to:

2. Only address VERY key points.

Your opponent doesn't give a crap about what you said and just wants to indulge himself. If you address everything it's more likely he'll screw up your points and come out with some atrocious misinterpretation of what you meant; then you're stuck combating a strawman.

But! If you only mention two or three points, he's pretty much forced to listen to you.

Take this very paragraph for example. Even though its purpose is to explain why each technique works, few people will read it. That's why I bolded everything in list format.

3. Put the important crap first and the most important crap last.

When you learn to write essays, your first paragraph is always most important. On here, it's not. Unless you said something they really object to, they will almost always respond to the very last part of what you said.

This is because forum idiots are hopelessly knee-jerk and act like naggy girls who jump on the last few words of your sentence during a verbal argument. Ask yourself "if I had to get across one thing here, what thing do I REALLY want to get across?" and then make that last.

So, in summary.

1. If you quote someone in a reply, do it two times at max.

2. Only address VERY key points.

3. Put the important crap first and the most important crap last.
Arch0wl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-9-2009, 07:27 AM   #2
Superfreak04
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Default Re: Getting people to read your posts on forums

Very interesting, I've actually notice myself to do these types of things in arguments on forums.
Old 12-9-2009, 09:49 AM   #3
abro13
Professor Spellcheck
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to abro13

If you were to only address the VERY key points and I, as your opponent, couldn't find anything to do that would make it go my way, I would simply bring up a lesser point that you didn't restate and say something to the effect of "But what about ________? *insert arguement here*"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGiggles View Post
That just reminded me of the time one dude got killed riding that Superman ride at Six Flags. He was disabled or morbidly obese or something and got flung into a fence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SethSquall View Post
Poor fence =/

I mean kid.

Poor kid...
abro13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-9-2009, 01:32 PM   #4
devonin
Very Grave Indeed
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to devonin Send a message via MSN to devonin

There's also the fact that in CT we wnt to -encourage- people to be thinking about what they say such that -all- their points are valid and useful, and sometimes you need/want to be responding to each thing they said seperately.

If I were to respond to your post in a way that expressed disagreement, at minimum I'd be quoting you thrice, once per bolded point. If you'd set out a 10-point argument, I'd want to individually address all 10 points, and to me that's not an issue about "wanting to be right" it's an issue about "showing you the respect of acknowledging ALL of what you said"
devonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-9-2009, 02:50 PM   #5
mhss1992
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

I agree with devonin.

Best AAA: Frictional Nevada (Done while FFR was out, so it doesn't show in my level stats)

Resting. I might restart playing FFR seriously someday.
mhss1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-9-2009, 03:02 PM   #6
Kibblre
Caelondia Represent
FFR Veteran

Wait....Arch0wl? When did this happen...

Btw, I'm not addressing key points. I doubt anyone will read this post.
Old 12-9-2009, 04:02 PM   #7
Arch0wl
Banned
FFR Simfile Author

Okay, I confess. This thread's purpose is explained by knowing that it started out as a PM to Afrobean, lol.
Arch0wl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 02:36 PM   #8
Zybanthia
FFR Player
FFR Simfile Author

Point 1 is valid sometimes. Rather, it's more important to know when a quote block is absolutely necessary, regardless of whether or not you are addressing the majority of somebody's post. There are times when a response to someone's post is a neat and concise enough summary of thoughts not to need one, and there are other times when you need to be specific about what you are responding to. I'd not make a hard quote limit, but it's still good advice not to do it all the time without thinking.
Zybanthia is offline   Reply With Quote