Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Critical Thinking
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2004, 02:19 AM   #1
Arch0wl
Banned
FFR Simfile Author

Default "You have no life"

This is probably one of the most, if not the most, commonly used form of insult on the internet. People will attempt to degrade someone's accomplishment or someone, to make themselves seem superior, by thinking they have more of a life that someone else. Looking into it, most of the time the hypocrisy of the statement is laughable, considering it's usually said over the internet.

Why do people use this form of degrading someone anyways? Do they not acknowledge how much of a hypocrite they are being? Or do they not even think about it at all?

It's not exactly the most complex subject to talk about, but hey.

Discuss.
Arch0wl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 02:30 AM   #2
Jam930
FFR Player

When people say "you have no life" they're telling the person they spend most, if not all, of their time indoors staring at a screen and prancing their fingers accross the keyboard.

I dont think they're automatically labeled a hipocrit simply because they use the internet.

No life requirements:

1. You are making very little/no progress in your social life(assuming there is one).
2. You spend much/all of your time indoors at your computer.
3. You are not interacting with reality.

I think #3 is the most major.

I personally do not have anything against this insult, as i find it can be very applicable to certain individuals. However, it also depends on your perspective, like the person with "no life" probably sees himself as simply having a different lifestyle from the norm.

The major problem with this is that there isn't really any way to prove the person you are insulting has no life, so it isn't a very valid insult is most cases. If someone told you that you had no life over the internet, you can simply deny it, call them a moron for making the assumption, and move on:

Arch: You have no life.
Jamie: False. You are a moron.

Just for examples sake. Don't let yourself think those names mean anything.
Old 05-26-2004, 02:39 AM   #3
Arch0wl
Banned
FFR Simfile Author

I don't think the "having a life" term just partains to a social life. If that was the case, I have one. Nearly everyone goes to some form of school (I use this as a generalization because even though homeschool is a type of schooling the large majority of people are in public school), which means they socialize with their friends mostly every day, and can go out with their friends. You can still be the nerdiest person in the world, but still socialize. Is it fair to say you can be a nerd and have a life?
Old 05-26-2004, 02:52 AM   #4
Jam930
FFR Player

---Congratulations Arch0wl---

!!!You have a life!!!

Let us rejoice!

One of my friends is a guitar nerd and still has a life. Nerds are people who obsess over one thing. Whether it be computers, guitars, school, or just their appearance as a stereo typical nerd.
Old 05-26-2004, 03:29 AM   #5
perfect_fat
FFR Player

What is reality? And how do you know if you're actually interacting with it or not?
perfect_fat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 04:18 AM   #6
Arch0wl
Banned
FFR Simfile Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfect_fat
What is reality? And how do you know if you're actually interacting with it or not?

Wow. Way to stay on topic. Do you always try to get people to feel sorry for you like this? You already posted a topic about it, stick to that topic.
Old 05-26-2004, 05:59 AM   #7
perfect_fat
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch0wl
Quote:
Originally Posted by perfect_fat

Wow. Way to stay on topic. Do you always try to get people to feel sorry for you like this? You already posted a topic about it, stick to that topic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam930
]No life requirements:

1. You are making very little/no progress in your social life(assuming there is one).
2. You spend much/all of your time indoors at your computer.
3. You are not interacting with reality.
To not be interacting with reality, you must have grounds to judge what reality is. I think it's right on topic.
perfect_fat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 06:28 AM   #8
Arch0wl
Banned
FFR Simfile Author

Next time, quote something if it isn't right above your post.
Old 05-26-2004, 06:38 AM   #9
Specforces
Yes
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Specforces

I think when people attack others with the "you have no life" phrase, they are merely lacking any real arguement, thus they spit something cliched, hoping it will make them sound and feel superior in some twisted, subjective way. Noone can effectively define what "a life" is. In today's society, the definition of social interaction has been skewed due to the advances in technology we have seen in the last 30 years. Thus, social interaction can be almost anything. Whether it be talking on the phone or talking in person. Or even typing through IMs or posting in forums. Noone has the right to tell another that they have no life. Whether you are good at a finger mashing game, or you can run 15 miles, you still possess a skill, and as long as everyone can't perform as well as you, there are always going to be an aire of jealousy present. Thus feelings of contempt and words of hostility arise.

Specforces
Old 05-26-2004, 07:02 AM   #10
RobbyZero
FFR Player

Wait read this. You know when you have no life when your me.

1.Quit school
2.No social life outside of your home
3.No outside friends (well not many anyways)
4.No respect from your parents
5.Live on your computer all day
6.Don't have a job.
7.Don't try period.
10.When you've become me,you know you suck
RobbyZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 09:36 AM   #11
makaveli121212
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to makaveli121212
Default Re: "You have no life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch0wl
This is probably one of the most, if not the most, commonly used form of insult on the internet. People will attempt to degrade someone's accomplishment or someone, to make themselves seem superior, by thinking they have more of a life that someone else. Looking into it, most of the time the hypocrisy of the statement is laughable, considering it's usually said over the internet.

Why do people use this form of degrading someone anyways? Do they not acknowledge how much of a hypocrite they are being? Or do they not even think about it at all?

It's not exactly the most complex subject to talk about, but hey.

Discuss.
You play games with your fingers and brag about it, and it means so much to you that you must call BS and delete posts and lock threads and ban people from that forum. You do all those things just to make yourself feel superior. Why do you do this trying to degrade people? Do you know how much of a hypocrite you are being?
makaveli121212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 12:52 PM   #12
Laharl
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Laharl Send a message via MSN to Laharl

Personally, I find it's quite a lot easier to insult people based off how lame their own insults our. "You have no life" is one such insult that is easily, easily counterable.

I find that most often, those that try and degrade people at random type like incoherent morons and are most likely trying to make themselves feel superior to us that actually are.

I am guilty of making fun of nimrods, but my own reasons are that I loathe flagrant stupidity. Gimme a chat room full of intelligent folks, and it doesn't happen.

POINTLESSLY TAKING UP BANDWIDTH SINCE THE INCEPTION OF THE INTERNET
Laharl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 08:33 AM   #13
trillobyite
FFR Player

When I get into a fight with someone, I almost never use a phrase like "you have no life". It is the equivalent of only saying a curse word, because it has no real meaning if not accompanied by anything else. I don't care about feeling superior, I care about getting the other person to realize what is right. I just explain what is wrong with what they are saying (or if its just a guy cursing and fighting, I "inform" him that he is being an idiot). If the person is really pissing me off, I may add a curse or two. Saying somehting like "you have no life" is pretty shallow and empty, and it doesn't contribute to anything at all.
Every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilizations, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every hopeful child, every mother and father, every inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every superstar, every supreme leader, every saint and sinner in the history of our species, lives here on a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam.
http://obs.nineplanets.org/psc/pbd.html
trillobyite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 02:24 PM   #14
IronMonk
FFR Player

i often wonder why it is that people have to degrade themselves to insults like "you have no life". i [prefer the more intellegent near shakesperian insulting. its more fun and it is an excuse to use a portion of your vocabulary that doesnt get much use.
Old 05-27-2004, 05:03 PM   #15
Arch0wl
Banned
FFR Simfile Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMonk
i prefer the more intellegent near shakesperian insulting. its more fun and it is an excuse to use a portion of your vocabulary that doesnt get much use.

So essentially you're saying you try to act intelligent by clouding your point with oververbose words in attempt to give your point more merit?
Old 05-27-2004, 08:04 PM   #16
Anonymous
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyZero
Wait read this. You know when you have no life when your me.

1.Quit school
2.No social life outside of your home
3.No outside friends (well not many anyways)
4.No respect from your parents
5.Live on your computer all day
6.Don't have a job.
7.Don't try period.
10.When you've become me,you know you suck
alright, let's see here, i fit in pretty close. here we go.

1. Quit School? Check. (Dropped out of college.)
2. No Social life outside my home? Meh, I go out a few times a week, for an hour or two, depending.
3. No Outside friends? I'd say i have maybe 5 good friends, no need for more.
4. No respect from my parents? Now that, i don't know about. My mom SAYS she understands its hard to get a job around here, but my dad on the other, i think has lost pretty much all respect for me.
5. Live on my computer all day? Hmm, depends, if i feel like it, i will, if not, i'll be on it prolly 3/4 of the day. :\
6. Don't have a job? That's right, i don't have a job, and it's a mixture of both: I) It's hard to find one around here, and II) I don't try.
7. Don't try? yup, that's pretty much it, i don't try. And i have a good theory about it too, which i'll use another post for.
8. There is no 8.
9. There is no 9.
10 (Which should be 11, cuz there is three lines after the 7.) I'm not you, but i still suck..... yeah.... Let's start a club. :P
Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 08:15 PM   #17
xObserveRx
FFR Simfile Author
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to xObserveRx Send a message via MSN to xObserveRx

Of course, the last post was me, just so you know.

Anyways, I'm posting the answer to number 7 in a different thread entitled: "The IQ Effect?"