Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Critical Thinking
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2011, 09:50 AM   #21
Reach
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Reach Send a message via MSN to Reach
Default Re: The science behind teleporters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincarnate View Post
I really hate it when people bring up entanglement. You cannot use quantum entanglement to communicate faster than light.

Think of it this way. Consider a message you want to send to a friend. You want to use a coin for this. So you flip the coin -- and whatever it lands on, hold it up so you see your side and your friend sees the other. This is like an entangled state that collapses the wavefunction -- if you see heads, your friend will see tails. If you see tails, your friend will see heads.

Now, using just that coin alone, transmit a message to your friend.
Stuff like this gets brought up a lot because a number of experiments have reporting using entanglement to get light pulses to 'move' faster than c, among other methods (e.g. cesium gas).

Interestingly, phase or group velocity CAN exceed c, seemingly infinitely. This is well established. They, however, cannot exceed c at the same time.

Though, signal velocity (speed of information) can't exceed c, despite it usually being equal to group velocity.

Confusing, but the bottom line is you're right. Electromagnetic radiation can exceed light speed in vacuum, but only under conditions where there is no information transfer.

Last edited by Reach; 01-17-2011 at 09:57 AM..
Reach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:14 AM   #22
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Yeah, the relativity of simultaneity pretty much puts everything into place such that c is never violated. Phase velocities are > c in many cases but you can't transmit info at that velocity: v sub p = c^2/v sub g where v sub p is phase velocity and v sub g is group velocity (information transfer).

Likewise with entangled pairs -- if we looked at one half of a commuted pair attribute in one particle and the other half in the other particle, we'd be violating HUP. Of course, this is easily resolved when we realize that these observations wouldn't be at the same time -- once you observe commuted attribute P in particle A, commuted attribute Q of particle B is no longer entangled on that basis.

Some wiki information on this stuff if anyone's interested
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faster-...cities_above_c

tl;dr: No, none of this shit is going to let you communicate faster than light or travel at the speed of light or greater and gives you pretty bleak outlooks where teleportation is concerned.

However, of course there is all the hype over wormholes, but you'd need something called exotic matter to stabilize the "throat" of the wormhole in order for you to even pass through to another portion of space. The problem: Exotic mass is basically "negative" mass with a negative energy density, and we don't know of anything like this in existence (it's theoretical). Michio Kaku's books "Beyond Einstein" and "Physics of the Impossible" are great reads for this stuff, though.

Further point of clarification: Antimatter and negative matter are totally different things. The former exists and has POSITIVE energy -- but a reversed charge. The latter hasn't been proved to even exist yet. If it did, it would be lighter than nothing (i.e. float) and would be repelled and shunned away from planets and meteors and gas particles and anything else. Even if it existed, it'd certainly be nowhere on Earth and would likely be located in deep space.

Last edited by devonin; 01-17-2011 at 04:25 PM..
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:09 PM   #23
reuben_tate
Kawaii Desu Ne?
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage06 View Post
If they did go the route of "copying" you, then you wouldn't come out perfect on the other side at all. It'd also copy every other cell, etc. It wouldn't simply copy your DNA and replicate it. You'd be as you were.

But the true way for me would be if we find a way to find a worm hole and harness it if one was even possible, so that essentially, you aren't transferred through wires, but through time to another place.
That make any sense? That way, you would be yourself on the other side.

If though only our cells were cut and pasted to our new location, think of it this way (and I know it is weird), but cells are copied all the time, and old ones die.

You are essentially not the person you were, how many years ago it takes for all the cells to replicate once in your body.
You are a copy. Your brains cells have probably been copied countless of times, including what stores memories.

The only difference is, it would happen in an instant, so you'd have a complete self as you were, as if cells had replicated over time and created who you still are.

Am I making any sense?

I do know that using this method, if you had cancer for example when you left, you'd still have cancer on the return.

We would need to know basically everything about the human body for this idea to ever materialize though, and by that point, we'd have technology to pin point cancer cells, and destroy them without the hassle we do now. That's a given.
I thought that brain cells are one of the few types of cells that do -not- replicate. Am I correct?

Not happening now! Don't click to join!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spenner View Post
(^)> peck peck says the heels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx{Midnight}xX
And god made ben, and realized he was doomed to miss. And said it was good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakvvv666
awww :< crushing my dreams; was looking foward to you attempting to shoot yourself point blank and missing
reuben_tate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 05:34 AM   #24
Kage06
FFR Player

You may be right there. Apparently they do not...
I just assumed that since every other cell copied itself, the brain would have to as well, since cells I didn't think had that long of a life cycle.

But according to what I've read, different cells have different life cycles. For example skin and cells in the gut for example are apparently replaced every 24 hours.
Kage06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:36 AM   #25
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Some cells in the brain do, others don't
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote