Competitive 59 68.60%
Non Competitive 27 31.40%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-1-2011, 11:43 AM   #21
The_Popo
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Default Re: Competitive or Not

ok now your turning this post into something now just to make it look like its competitive setting personal goals to beat is not competitive its having fun ....
The_Popo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-1-2011, 11:45 AM   #22
wargasm1
Cowbelling FFR
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to wargasm1

competitive but only for overall rank, crazy ranks come by accident :P
wargasm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-1-2011, 11:45 AM   #23
Mr. Dorbs
FFR Player

There are varous elements of this game that allow for both competitive and casual gameplay. Trying to group "competitive or not" is just very small-minded and dosen't properly illustrate the player demographic.
Mr. Dorbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-1-2011, 11:49 AM   #24
psychoangel691
Retired Staff
All the things
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to psychoangel691

The way it was put to me was that people play only for fun meaning that they aren't going for anything they just play because the game is fun. My point is that no matter what there's typically some drive behind playing, not just playing to play. I mean I used to be a player that played just to play but that was before I knew anything about ranks and before coming into the community.

It's not small minded, it's just to show there is a driving factor for most people as to why they play. I don't think there are many in the community that literally play only for the fun of hitting keys to music.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBackpack View Post
also a fucking helicopter is the absolute last place I'd go to find out how big my dick is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow_God_10 View Post
Dawg you don't even know. It's so fuckin' small I can use a pen cap to jack off

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi19hi19 View Post
yeah I'mma go for the Rave7 route she's just perfect, stiff on the top, thin in the middle, and has a BIG THICC END that I can just jack on all night UwU best girl
psychoangel691 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-1-2011, 11:53 AM   #25
BethanyBangs
~
FFR Veteran

Hmm to me the definition of competition on this site is like playing in tourneys. Trying to AAA, FC every song, the damn Tier Points. Multiplayer. I'll be happy if I fc all 1-9's. -w-
BethanyBangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-1-2011, 11:54 AM   #26
Mr. Dorbs
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoangel691 View Post
The way it was put to me was that people play only for fun meaning that they aren't going for anything they just play because the game is fun. My point is that no matter what there's typically some drive behind playing, not just playing to play. I mean I used to be a player that played just to play but that was before I knew anything about ranks and before coming into the community.

It's not small minded, it's just to show there is a driving factor for most people as to why they play. I don't think there are many in the community that literally play only for the fun of hitting keys to music.
It is very small-minded, and if you can't realise that then there's really no point in trying to convince you otherwise. It's pretty cut and dry. It's not an attack against you (I'm not calling YOU small-minded) I'm just pointing out that there are so many other factors in playing than just being competitive or not and I feel like these are not taken into consideration, especially when you have a poll with only two choices.
Old 08-1-2011, 11:59 AM   #27
psychoangel691
Retired Staff
All the things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dorbs View Post
It is very small-minded, and if you can't realise that then there's really no point in trying to convince you otherwise. It's pretty cut and dry. It's not an attack against you (I'm not calling YOU small-minded) I'm just pointing out that there are so many other factors in playing than just being competitive or not and I feel like these are not taken into consideration, especially when you have a poll with only two choices.

There doesn't need to be more than 2 choices in this situation. What I'm asking is does something drive you to play the game, AAAs, FCs, ranks, competing against other players, etc.

Or

Do you play just because you like it and don't care for any of the achievements that are in the game at all. Just play cause it's fun.

I never said that there aren't many factors in this game, but for this particular situation it's just you play for something or you just play to play. That's all I'm asking.
Quote:
also a fucking helicopter is the absolute last place I'd go to find out how big my dick is
Quote:

Quote:
yeah I'mma go for the Rave7 route she's just perfect, stiff on the top, thin in the middle, and has a BIG THICC END that I can just jack on all night UwU best girl
Old 08-1-2011, 11:59 AM   #28
Frank Munoz
Vophie
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dorbs View Post
Yes, there are many other factors in playing; but this poll is specifically on being competitive or not.
Old 08-1-2011, 12:00 PM   #29
Mans0n
Sun and Stars
FFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Mans0n

Competitive as fuc say whut

Check out my band profile and give it a like! :P
Mans0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-1-2011, 12:01 PM   #30
FFRGreen
Greeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to FFRGreen Send a message via Skype™ to FFRGreen

I try to play competitive but I am always lazy to AAA songs. So I guess I play for fun.
FFRGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-1-2011, 12:02 PM   #31
psychoangel691
Retired Staff
All the things

Here let me put it this way, would you find the game as interesting if it didn't have anything to achieve? No ranks no AAA's none of that stuff.

Or do those things enhance your enjoyment of the game and drive you to want to play it?
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Old 08-1-2011, 12:07 PM   #32
xXOpkillerXx
Forever OP
Simfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I can't play a game without aiming for goals. -Competitive-
xXOpkillerXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-1-2011, 12:08 PM   #33
Mr. Dorbs
FFR Player

A thread like this seems more proper to be found in FFR General Talk (A place to chat about FFR in general) rather than Chit Chat (Anything that doesn't neatly fit into one of the other categories)
Old 08-1-2011, 12:10 PM   #34
Zakvvv666
I catch fruit
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Competitive, although what sparked this thread is a little over the top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben_tate View Post
I'll bid a single erotic yet safe-for-work photo of me posing while wearing my Piplup hat while sucking on a blueberry lollipop with my mouth partially open so you can see the lollipop color to verify it's blueberryness.

Disclaimer: This photo is not guaranteed to cause pleasure.

Zakvvv666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-1-2011, 12:15 PM   #35
xXAll-ProXx
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoangel691 View Post
Here let me put it this way, would you find the game as interesting if it didn't have anything to achieve? No ranks no AAA's none of that stuff.

Or do those things enhance your enjoyment of the game and drive you to want to play it?
Achieving a certain score on a song, and trying to beat it does not make you entirely competitive. A lot of people who play Stepmania do not play for recognition, or achievements. They play for fun and also to beat their best score on that song, if you're calling this competitive then everyone including the inactive players, are considered "competitive" because everyone strives to beat their best score on a song. It would be just dumb to say "I don't want to beat my best score on this".

Personal achievements are completely different things, everyone has a set of personal achievements on FFR, EVEN if it's for fun. People who want beat their own best score on something aren't actually being competitive, they are just setting goals for themselves, which is IMO, non-competitive.

--------
On the other hand, being competitive is someone who strives to beat someone ELSE'S best score on a song. Or someone who plays a song that they don't like, just to AAA/FC it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXOpkillerXx View Post
I can't play a game without aiming for goals. -Competitive-
No one can! I don't believe setting goals for yourself is considered competitive, otherwise, everyone IS playing competitive. Who the hell plays FFR just to smash some keys and not even go for a certain score!

Anyone who's FC'd 99% of the songs on FFR is competitive, because there is bound to be at least 1 song they hated, I hate about 20 FMO's, check my ranks on them. I haven't even tried FC'ing them. However, if I tried to AAA bloodmeat (I hate this song), I would be considered competitive.

Last edited by xXAll-ProXx; 08-1-2011 at 12:17 PM..
xXAll-ProXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-1-2011, 12:17 PM   #36
One Winged Angel
Anime Avatars ( ◜◡^)っ✂╰⋃╯
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Always been competitive, sometimes I might take it a bit too far (a few guys from vidchat know what I passed up the day I was trying to nail FN, lmao), but that massive feeling of accomplishment once you finally murk that one song that you know you can smash but just couldn't until right then...it's pretty legit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikexd View Post
i want to be cucked by cirno
One Winged Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-1-2011, 12:19 PM   #37
~kitty~
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

I used to be competitive, but now I'm not. I literally play the files I enjoy, regardless of my ability to play them. However, sometimes I try getting better so I can more smoothly play some other songs. This is why I don't play as much anymore, though. My vote will be non-competitive, but I certainly was competitive before.
~kitty~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-1-2011, 12:21 PM   #38
psychoangel691
Retired Staff
All the things

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXAll-ProXx View Post
Who the hell plays FFR just to smash some keys and not even go for a certain score!

That's my point right there though. People are usually playing for SOMETHING. It's not just "oh hey clicking these keys is fun I'm just gonna do it cause it's fun"

The word competitive can be looked at in a lot of ways really. Essentially when trying to beat a score you have gotten before you're competing with yourself. Either way I could change the word but it still the same answer I'm seeking.

Either you play for something or just play for the fun of it and don't care about any achievement.
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Old 08-1-2011, 12:24 PM   #39
PlayTrumpet
Lamingtons.
FFR Veteran

Used to be, but not anymore. Mostly because I can't really play anymore since all of the engines lag for me, including standalone. I blame my computer.
Old 08-1-2011, 12:25 PM   #40
One Winged Angel
Anime Avatars ( ◜◡^)っ✂╰⋃╯
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Although I love the idea of having ~*~FFR riVaLs~*~ since competition with others is a huge self-motivator (almost everyone has a tendency to want to be the best), most people that clicked 'competitive' probably defined it as competition with themselves

Also god damn let's get the userbase up and bring back clans

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikexd View Post
i want to be cucked by cirno
One Winged Angel is offline   Reply With Quote