Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2013, 05:50 PM   #1
Kibblre
Caelondia Represent
FFR Veteran

Default Monitor Question (specifically refresh rates+fps)

I game a lot and have a pretty damn good PC to do so. The only issue is I have a 60hz monitor since I only had enough money for 60hz at the time. However, I have more money now and have been looking into better refresh rate/lower response time monitors, especially the Asus VG248QE. Now, my question is about the coorelation between the refresh rates and my fps. THe Asus monitor has a 144hz refresh rate; if I get 100-120 fps with that refresh rate, will it look like 40 fps on a 60hz monitor? Or, will it still look much better than 60hz even if I can't hit 144 fps? I want to invest but I play games where I can easily hit 144 and some games where I can easily hit 80, I don't want to be dissapointed with the lower fps on a higher refresh rate.
Old 08-15-2013, 05:55 PM   #2
Fission
no
Simfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: Monitor Question (specifically refresh rates+fps)

can't speak for 144 hz specifically, but i can speak for 120 hz. even when i don't get 120 fps constantly (i get 100, for instance), it's significantly better than a 60 hz monitor that is getting 60 fps constantly. you are most likely going to less input lag than most 60 hz monitors too.
Fission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:57 PM   #3
RNGRX
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

It'll look a lot smoother. Even if you don't hit 144 frames some frames will be used twice but not really noticable because the time is so short
RNGRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:57 PM   #4
Kibblre
Caelondia Represent
FFR Veteran

I knew you'd respond, I've seen you talk about monitors. The Asus I'm looking claims a 1ms response rate. I don't notice too much at my current 5ms, but it's the refresh rate I want.

I'm gonna do more research on this monitor, but it seems like it's the way to go. I feel dumb that I spent money on a gpu that can easily pass 60 and limit it to that.

And just to be sure, even if for some reason I only hit 60 fps, does that still look smoother with a higher refresh rate or does it look choppy?
Old 08-15-2013, 06:08 PM   #5
Fission
no

response rate can be exaggerated. a lot of manufacturers give GTG (gray to gray) response time which is generally a lot less than response time for other colors. it's honestly a roll of the dice as to what you are going to get unless you talk to somebody who owns that monitor.

in regards to getting 60 fps on a 120 hz monitor and 60 hz monitor, it is going to be just as choppy either way. on nvidia cards, however, you will have access to lightboost which will reduce your ghosting because of how frames are displayed.

more information on lightboost:
http://www.blurbusters.com/faq/60vs120vslb/
Old 08-15-2013, 06:11 PM   #6
Kibblre
Caelondia Represent
FFR Veteran

Man, I have a lot to read about. Just based on the small amount of information I've given (I have a GTX 670 btw) would you recommend that I get that Asus monitor?

EDIT: I found this: http://pcmonitors.info/reviews/asus-vg248qe . I don't have time to read it since I'm at work, but just skimming through it seems that color quality is a bit off on this monitor because of the type that it is but they've given tweaks to make it look better.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:13 PM   #7
Fission
no

i happen to have a gtx 670 as well, and i have no problem getting 120 fps in a lot of games. if you don't play anything with ridiculously high-end graphics on dual monitors or something equally ridiculous, you should be able to take advantage of 144 hz no problem.

my benq was said to be a bit weak in terms of color quality. like you said though, you can tweak it to make it look better. i feel like the colors are good enough for everything but image editing.

Last edited by Fission; 08-15-2013 at 06:16 PM..
Old 08-15-2013, 06:15 PM   #8
Kibblre
Caelondia Represent
FFR Veteran

The most taxing game I have is Borderlands 2 and I've gotten down to 30 fps in some places but I think that's due to optimzation problems and not the performance of the card. Thanks for the help by the way.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:18 PM   #9
Fission
no

yeah, i get pretty dumb frame drops in borderlands 2 as well. it's definitely the game. most of the time i get at least 120 fps in it though so it's alright.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:21 PM   #10
Kibblre
Caelondia Represent
FFR Veteran

I got 15 fps in the last area of the Tiny Tina DLC, it was so stupid. Looks like I probably end up getting this monitor soon unless I can find one with similar refresh rate/input delay that's better for around the same price.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:16 PM   #11
Tyson ultima
Autismspeaks.gov
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Tyson ultima Send a message via Yahoo to Tyson ultima Send a message via Skype™ to Tyson ultima

Time for input since I actually own the monitor you are looking for (gr9 rite). Anyway the games will run at the same fps they always have been and will look exactly the same unless they exceed 60 fps which you would need semi decent specs for. Having vsync on will cap out at 144 instead of 60 so your not limited but the fps in games will be exactly the same. If you turned vsync off on a 60hz monitor and did above 60fps then you have tearing. on the 144hz monitor its pretty easy to spot the difference on CERTAIN games and applications. Windows desktop is easy as hell to tell the difference. You move your mouse and it feel smoother and games like CSGO also look smoother, but older games like unreal is hard to tell the difference.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:56 PM   #12
Kibblre
Caelondia Represent
FFR Veteran

How do you like the monitor? I heard varying things about the colors and black levels. Would you recommend it? I might go grab one tomorrow.

EDIT: I mean specifically for gaming. My monitor I have now will suit me for movie/TV watching.

Last edited by Kibblre; 08-15-2013 at 11:07 PM..
Kibblre is offline   Reply With Quote