Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Life and Arts > Audio and Music Production
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-7-2016, 10:12 PM   #1
IamMe90
FFR Player

Default I wrote a review of an album

and I'd love for everyone and anyone to read it. Please let me know ur thoughts and comment on it if you want. it's my first serious attempt at writing one after so many years of saying I'd do it. Any oldies around here, please read 4 for the love that we once had so long ago ;*

http://www.sputnikmusic.com/review/7...es-Wildflower/

Artist: The Avalanches
Album: Wildflower

thx guys. i think its pretty good ?
IamMe90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-7-2016, 10:50 PM   #2
Travis_Flesher
Champion
FFR Veteran

Default Review review

Monolithic debut opus. Nice.
Good choice of words here in the first segment. What is minutia though?
You use too many commas in my opinion as I prefer what would classically be considered run on sentences as you can see from this example here.
Exuberant and life affirming naivete. Nice
Man this review makes me wanna listen to the album but the review is so good I think I'll keep reading. Maybe I should listen to the album while I read the review.
Good. Good. Very good. "these elements might foment into something that" Do you mean ferment?
"musical zeitgeist had begun to roil" Roil?
Red herrings. I love that phrase man.
"The Avalanches drop not one, not two, but three new singles" At this point I'm wondering if you have any constructive criticism to say about The Avalanches.
There's that word minutia again. I should look it up but ignorance is bliss.
Sonic vignettes.
"Unfortunately, the transitional pieces" There we go. Here comes the criticism. Nice paragraph structure by the way. Reminds me of AP English.
That single cough though.
That was probably the best review I've ever read. The flow I think ended abrubptly at the end and I think you should have had an additional "in closing" paragraph. That was stunning sir. You should be a frontman for the band. It's people like you that keep this planet spinning man. Now who wants to review my review review?
Old 08-7-2016, 11:45 PM   #3
rayword45
Local Teenage Wastebasket
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: I wrote a review of an album

trust me when i say youre gonna give up on putting in effort sooner rather than later unless you get that 1/1000000 chance of getting a fat paycheck out of it

good writing though, although it was kindaa decadent at times

BEST AAAs: WANDERLUST, Pandora, Necropotence, Mourning The Lost, Eradication, Feldschlacht

Hey, we need some users on this site. Please join.

And if you have not recommended any albums yet, do so. Please. I have a goal to reach. Here.
NO WAIT THAT SHIT'S OLD GO HERE INSTEAD.
rayword45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-8-2016, 12:11 AM   #4
Dinglesberry
longing
FFR Veteran

Ill give it a solid B+, to be honest I read it and I still don't know your opinion of the album, I think it was like a crystalline refraction of tulip petals or something, but it was definitely cool.. What genre of music is this, by the way?

I really, really don't want to search up the song, I'll guess it's ambient post psychedelic breakbeat though. Psychedelic psychedelics pie
Dinglesberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-8-2016, 12:16 AM   #5
IamMe90
FFR Player

Default Re: Review review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis_Flesher View Post
Monolithic debut opus. Nice.
Good choice of words here in the first segment. What is minutia though?
You use too many commas in my opinion as I prefer what would classically be considered run on sentences as you can see from this example here.
Exuberant and life affirming naivete. Nice
Man this review makes me wanna listen to the album but the review is so good I think I'll keep reading. Maybe I should listen to the album while I read the review.
Good. Good. Very good. "these elements might foment into something that" Do you mean ferment?
"musical zeitgeist had begun to roil" Roil?
Red herrings. I love that phrase man.
"The Avalanches drop not one, not two, but three new singles" At this point I'm wondering if you have any constructive criticism to say about The Avalanches.
There's that word minutia again. I should look it up but ignorance is bliss.
Sonic vignettes.
"Unfortunately, the transitional pieces" There we go. Here comes the criticism. Nice paragraph structure by the way. Reminds me of AP English.
That single cough though.
That was probably the best review I've ever read. The flow I think ended abrubptly at the end and I think you should have had an additional "in closing" paragraph. That was stunning sir. You should be a frontman for the band. It's people like you that keep this planet spinning man. Now who wants to review my review review?
Thanks man! I appreciate the feedback and kind words. I definitely get where you're coming from with the commas thing and don't necessarily disagree; it's a personal aesthetic preference and it's definitely not for everyone.

As for the ending - yes, astutely observed. Endings have always been an albatross for me when it comes to writing. I have many thoughts but struggle to tie them all together in a satisfying manner at the end; c'est la vie.

Also, you may have already done this, but since you seemed legitimately curious about some of the words:

minutia(e): precise details; small or trifling matters

foment: to promote the growth or development of

roil: to move turbulently : be in a state of turbulence or agitation <conflicting emotions roiling inside her>

Last edited by IamMe90; 08-8-2016 at 12:23 AM..
Old 08-8-2016, 12:18 AM   #6
IamMe90
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayword45 View Post
trust me when i say youre gonna give up on putting in effort sooner rather than later unless you get that 1/1000000 chance of getting a fat paycheck out of it

good writing though, although it was kindaa decadent at times
Probably, I'm mainly doing this as a hobby, not as part of some professional endeavor.

Also, yeah, sometimes the my word choice can be a little flowery, and I take a little bit of poetic license with my diction, using words that aren't necessarily the best fit from a prescriptive stance, but i am cognizant of this tendency and do it consciously out of aesthetic enjoyment of those words.

Last edited by IamMe90; 08-8-2016 at 12:23 AM..
Old 08-8-2016, 12:22 AM   #7
IamMe90
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinglesberry View Post
Ill give it a solid B+, to be honest I read it and I still don't know your opinion of the album, I think it was like a crystalline refraction of tulip petals or something, but it was definitely cool.. What genre of music is this, by the way?

I really, really don't want to search up the song, I'll guess it's ambient post psychedelic breakbeat though. Psychedelic psychedelics pie
hm, well, while the first 1/4th-1/3rd of the article is more about the context of the album, I do think think that the latter portion enumerates pretty well the aspects that I like and the aspects that I do not like of the album. Of course, I could be wrong Full disclosure, this review was mostly written for people who have listened to their first album, as it is a fairly significant album in the electronic music cannon

The genres listed on wikipedia are: Plunderphonics, electronic, neo-psychedelia disco, hip hop

To get more specific, I'd describe it as extremely sample heavy electronic music, that samples from disco music, every day sounds and noises, and psychedelia.

Thanks for your thoughts

Last edited by IamMe90; 08-8-2016 at 12:24 AM..
Old 08-8-2016, 12:28 AM   #8
Travis_Flesher
Champion
FFR Veteran

Default re

Your review had a Lovecraftian vibe to it.
Travis_Flesher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-8-2016, 12:57 AM   #9
Dinglesberry
longing
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamMe90 View Post

The genres listed on wikipedia are: Plunderphonics, electronic, neo-psychedelia disco
Plunder me butthole matey that's a genre I can't wait to listen to arrrrr

EDIT: damn it's like vapourwave tier stuff.. I was expecting a cross between jcore and pirates yo, pirate core in this humpy bumpy

With a name like Plunderphonic it hypes up like cannonball kick drums n shit bro, I respect this written piece though to me it's like a text version of how the music sounds, I bump my rank to A-

Last edited by Dinglesberry; 08-8-2016 at 01:02 AM..
Dinglesberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-8-2016, 04:42 AM   #10
IamMe90
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinglesberry View Post
Plunder me butthole matey that's a genre I can't wait to listen to arrrrr

EDIT: damn it's like vapourwave tier stuff.. I was expecting a cross between jcore and pirates yo, pirate core in this humpy bumpy

With a name like Plunderphonic it hypes up like cannonball kick drums n shit bro, I respect this written piece though to me it's like a text version of how the music sounds, I bump my rank to A-
yeah, i mean this in the least judgey possible way, i kinda grew out of the shrapnel genre, so it's def not like that haha

Goodness knows I've listened to enough shindbad and dokudenpa in my days

also thank you you're too nice

Last edited by IamMe90; 08-8-2016 at 04:42 AM..
Old 08-8-2016, 10:40 AM   #11
MarioNintendo
Expect delays.
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Fantastic review friend. This album has some forgettable tunes, but I enjoy subways and colours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgravel View Post
Mario's files are top notch, so every time he submits a file I get excited in my pants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hi19hi19 View Post
This guy, MarioNintendo?
Click the bricks

MarioNintendo is offline   Reply With Quote