Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 11:57 PM   #4541
GammaBlaster
FFR Player

Default Re: 9th Official Tournament -- Round 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzExZeRo7497 View Post
on a less serious note, step Spiral Field Velocity instead it's better than Robotomy
Ji and I are already doing that
hi19 and I are doing Intrusion (that reminds me - I gotta send you my file soon hi19)
Old 12-12-2013, 12:01 AM   #4542
hi19hi19
lol happy
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

I'm actually still bothered by the fact nobody has outright told me it's not allowed to reject a file just because you don't like the music.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hi19hi19 View Post
I find MOSAIC.WAV physically uncomfortable to listen to.
So if I become a judge I can just give a well-thought-out file like Sokuseki! Nouchoku Music System a 1/10? Sorry, no little Japanese girls on my watch.
Shouldn't there like, be a rule so that this never happens?
Kind of a shitty feeling as a step artist, to be hesitant to step what I enjoy because a judge doesn't like that genre.

Old 12-12-2013, 12:03 AM   #4543
Toccy
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaBlaster View Post
let me introduce you to a concept called:

~sUbJeCtIvItY~

also static noise sounds different compared to laserguns to me

there's still stuff that pierces my ears (blenders in real life)
Just because I don't understand how it's possible people can like organized noise doesn't mean I don't know what subjectivity is. No need to be condescending. Instead you can just do what hi19 did and explain why he likes it.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:05 AM   #4544
choof
Banned
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toccy View Post
This is music?
"Music is an art form whose medium is sound and silence. Its common elements are pitch (which governs melody and harmony), rhythm (and its associated concepts tempo, meter, and articulation), dynamics, and the sonic qualities of timbre and texture. The word derives from Greek μουσική (mousike; "art of the Muses").[1]"

regardless of what you like/dislike, you're objectively wrong when assuming it isn't

Last edited by choof; 12-12-2013 at 12:09 AM..
Old 12-12-2013, 12:07 AM   #4545
Toccy
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by choof View Post
"Music is an art form whose medium is sound and silence. Its common elements are pitch (which governs melody and harmony), rhythm (and its associated concepts tempo, meter, and articulation), dynamics, and the sonic qualities of timbre and texture. The word derives from Greek μουσική (mousike; "art of the Muses").[1]"

regardless of what you like/dislike, you're objectively wrong is assuming it isn't
I never said it wasn't music.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:08 AM   #4546
choof
Banned

on the subject of robotomy, I think it'd be best as a token of some sort, pass vortex with x amount of misses or something to unlock it

that way, you can choose not to play it based on musical preference and still keep your levelranks
Old 12-12-2013, 12:09 AM   #4547
choof
Banned

Quote:
I never said it wasn't music.
ah you're right, you never explicitly said that but, as people have already noted, you definitely implied it
Old 12-12-2013, 12:10 AM   #4548
rCaliberGX
D7 Elite Keymasher
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Ji and I are already doing that
hi19 and I are doing Intrusion (that reminds me - I gotta send you my file soon hi19)
wow i was already a third into spiral field velocity rofl

Released!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Vagabond View Post
you look like you're dSucks
Old 12-12-2013, 12:10 AM   #4549
hi19hi19
lol happy

Quote:
on the subject of robotomy, I think it'd be best as a token of some sort, pass vortex with x amount of misses or something to unlock it

that way, you can choose not to play it based on musical preference and still keep your levelranks
Yeah I envision it would work like that.

On one hand I can see why it was rejected even just on a technical basis, there's definitely some things in the file that I would have docked points for too (like there's a 1-framer jack rofl)
But I love the idea behind the file, that's why I'm so excited to work on it a little.
After a few fixes I'll be sad if it is still rejected on the basis of its genre and nothing else.

Old 12-12-2013, 12:11 AM   #4550
Toccy
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
ah you're right, you never explicitly said that but, as people have already noted, you definitely implied it
Haha, I was just shocked that it is music that people like.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:12 AM   #4551
GammaBlaster
FFR Player

Quote:
Just because I don't understand how it's possible people can like organized noise doesn't mean I don't know what subjectivity is. No need to be condescending. Instead you can just do what hi19 did and explain why he likes it.
Quote:
I have perfect pitch too just sayin' (Robotomy is in G minor for 1st half; D minor for 2nd)

but I enjoy rhythmic and tempo dissection more than anything
that and I've always been to explosive sound effects thanks to video games like Ratchet & Clank and Jazz Jackrabbit

and ever since I was introduced to IDM (first artists were VSnares, Flashbulb and Terminal 11 lel) at the age of 10 I've always enjoyed strange fractured noises at high speeds

in the end it's an acquired taste more than anything (but I still can't stand blenders)

Quote:

I've always wanted to see it as a 1mil credit secret file just to relive the days of Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando whoring for the R.Y.N.O II

but a token's still a viable option

Last edited by GammaBlaster; 12-12-2013 at 12:16 AM..
Old 12-12-2013, 12:36 AM   #4552
choof
Banned

rev up those friers
Old 12-12-2013, 12:36 AM   #4553
choof
Banned

rev(erend) up those friars
Old 12-12-2013, 12:44 AM   #4554
hi19hi19
lol happy

Yo can I just congratulate FFR as a whole on managing to have a reasonably civil discussion about what constitutes music on an internet forum

And outside of the Critical Thinking forum, to boot.
Unheard of, man

Old 12-12-2013, 01:06 AM   #4555
Dynam0
The Dominator
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Sometimes I find people convey their musical preference in an arrogant and defensive way when they like something that not many others do. There is this notion that people have which is something along the lines of, "I possess knowledge of music structure and theory, so I can discern what is going on rhythmically and melodically in this complex composition, therefore my taste in [insert fringe genre] is much more justified than your uninformed taste in mainstream music which I find rather pretentious and verbose." *sips tea*

It's like arguing why an entree at a Michelin restaurant in Paris is superior and more palatable than a pepperoni and cheese pizza from Papa John's. High-brow nonsense.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:13 AM   #4556
Toccy
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynam0 View Post
Sometimes I find people convey their musical preference in an arrogant and defensive way when they like something that not many others do. There is this notion that people have which is something along the lines of, "I possess knowledge of music structure and theory, so I can discern what is going on rhythmically and melodically in this complex composition, therefore my taste in [insert fringe genre] is much more justified than your uninformed taste in mainstream music which I find rather pretentious and verbose." *sips tea*

It's like arguing why an entree at a Michelin restaurant in Paris is superior and more palatable than a pepperoni and cheese pizza from Papa John's. High-brow nonsense.
Best post I've ever seen on FFR so far.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:22 AM   #4557
DossarLX ODI
Batch Manager
Game Manager, Song Release Coordinator
Game ManagerSimfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Hahahaha oh my god this reminds me of that post where stargroup posted a youtube link to a live performance of people playing on xylophones and he said that it would be boring to the average listener or something. I laughed way too hard
Old 12-12-2013, 01:24 AM   #4558
GammaBlaster
FFR Player

Quote:
I possess knowledge of music structure and theory, so I can discern what is going on rhythmically and melodically in this complex composition
I do this a lot :S

Quote:
therefore my taste in [insert fringe genre] is much more justified than your uninformed taste in mainstream music which I find rather pretentious and verbose. *sips tea*
not this tho'

oh shit I nearly forgot about this one comment I found on a video mocking dubstep involving mrpreggers Hank Hill

Old 12-12-2013, 01:30 AM   #4559
hi19hi19
lol happy

Quote:

I really agree with this.

On the other hand, it's important to note why this kind of music exists. It depends entirely what you are seeking.
To use your food analogy, if I am looking for a broad range of flavors, or to find something that I have never tasted before, I am more likely to find that in a high class restaurant in Paris than your local Papa John's. Conversely if I just want a fucking pizza, I'm not going to a Michelin rated restaurant.
That doesn't intrinsically make one more correct than the other, you just have to balance your expectations and your goals with reality.

Music is the same. If I want something familiar and catchy, I'll turn on the radio and listen to Katy Perry. If I'm looking for really complex rhythms and odd time signatures, I'm going to go listen to some flashcore album. That doesn't mean I think I'm "above" someone who doesn't "understand" the genre, it's just what I am seeking at the time. I figure most people are never in the mood to go find a song in 7/16 and listen to it just to challenge their own sense of rhythm. I won't hold that against anyone as long as you don't mind the fact I do enjoy it.

When I am playing a rhythm game, sometimes I am looking for something that challenges me musically beyond just a standard pop song. That's why stuff like Counter Clockwise Chant Pattern is in the game. Same goes for Robotomy.

Last edited by hi19hi19; 12-12-2013 at 01:34 AM..
Old 12-12-2013, 01:33 AM   #4560
DossarLX ODI
Batch Manager
Game Manager, Song Release Coordinator
Game ManagerSimfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Dubstep is boring to the average 40s to 80s listener. However, most dubstep listeners are appreciative of dubstep as an artistic and musical form.

I am stargroup, and I am not the average listener. I possess knowledge of music structure and theory, so I can discern what is going on rhythmically and melodically in this complex composition. The average 40s to 80s listener cannot fully appreciate "YO SKRILL DROP IT HARD!"
Closed Thread