Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Flash Flash Revolution > FFR General Talk
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-9-2016, 06:17 PM   #1
Jacob15728
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Default Depressing statistics

Well, I've been playing on and off (mostly off, with occasional periods of playing many games per day) for the past 7 years, and never paid any attention to rankings and statistics until today. I looked at my rankings and found something shocking and depressing: my total arrows hit and play time are ranked at 98th in the world (!!!) and my level is 41, behind more than 4000 players. All I can say is that I am flabbergasted to find this out and had no idea that I was so un-talented.

I do think that it's partly the result of my skill degrading every time I go for a long period without playing and then taking a while to get back to where I was before, but I doubt that is the whole picture.

So, do you folks think I'm a lost cause or am I doing something wrong? I don't really do anything specific to practice or get better other than normal playing.
Jacob15728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-9-2016, 06:39 PM   #2
rayword45
Local Teenage Wastebasket
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Depressing statistics

I also play very, very on and off. Are you part of the tournament right now? I've only had skill boosts when

1. Trying to get a skill token (Boosted highest AAA from like a 5 to 51 immediately after several years)
2. Trying to win a tournament (Climbed from that 51 after several years to a 70 over a few months)
3. Trying to get a skill token while simultaneously trying to win a tournament (See 2, also went from a 76 all the way up to 83 (which is a pretty big boost) and soon after 86/87)

BEST AAAs: WANDERLUST, Pandora, Necropotence, Mourning The Lost, Eradication, Feldschlacht

Hey, we need some users on this site. Please join.

And if you have not recommended any albums yet, do so. Please. I have a goal to reach. Here.
NO WAIT THAT SHIT'S OLD GO HERE INSTEAD.

Last edited by rayword45; 07-9-2016 at 06:39 PM..
rayword45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-9-2016, 06:43 PM   #3
TheThong
♩♪♫♬♭♮♯
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to TheThong

Don't put yourself down. If you're mostly playing ' on and off ', and 'mostly off' (as you said) then it's normal that you're not improving much. There's nothing wrong with that. Heck, I've played for ten years and aren't legendary like some of the other players who have been here for months.

Rather than beating yourself up, if you actually want to get better - then you could play more often than you have been (it works differently for everyone else). Start from your starting point, and work your way up. Play a mixture of easy and difficult songs, practice accuracy, try different speedmods, try playing spread/index. There's heaps of things you can do if you want to improve.
Old 07-9-2016, 06:47 PM   #4
AutotelicBrown
Under the scarlet moon

Both total arrows hit and play time seems to include only very recent plays, I remember when the extended stats were released some weeks ago that there was barely any data on that. Using grandtotal as reference would probably be better.

In any case from a quick look at your stats it doesn't seem so depressing, especially if you haven't played continuously or strived hard to improve. Just make sure you keep challenging yourself with harder stuff if you want to keep getting better.
AutotelicBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-9-2016, 07:10 PM   #5
devonin
Very Grave Indeed
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to devonin Send a message via MSN to devonin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob15728 View Post
Well, I've been playing on and off (mostly off, with occasional periods of playing many games per day) for the past 7 years, and never paid any attention to rankings and statistics until today. I looked at my rankings and found something shocking and depressing: my total arrows hit and play time are ranked at 98th in the world (!!!) and my level is 41, behind more than 4000 players. All I can say is that I am flabbergasted to find this out and had no idea that I was so un-talented.

I do think that it's partly the result of my skill degrading every time I go for a long period without playing and then taking a while to get back to where I was before, but I doubt that is the whole picture.

So, do you folks think I'm a lost cause or am I doing something wrong? I don't really do anything specific to practice or get better other than normal playing.

The combination of those stats doesn't suggest you are bad, or unskilled, or can't become more skilled than you are. They imply that probably a bunch of the time you play songs you like and have fun playing, without the express goal of pushing yourself to improve. Nothing wrong with that.

As well, of the top 15 songs that contribute to your skill ranking, you got 5 of them in the last month. You are absolutely, objectively improved since the previous time you played. Keep at it and you'll keep progressing.

Where did you find stats on your ranking based on arrows hit and play time, asks the staff member who had no idea that was even a ranking you could view.

Last edited by devonin; 07-9-2016 at 07:12 PM..
devonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-9-2016, 07:53 PM   #6
inDheart
Picker @ JAX2
FFR Simfile Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by devonin View Post
Where did you find stats on your ranking based on arrows hit and play time, asks the staff member who had no idea that was even a ranking you could view.
go to someone's stats and click "More stats..." below their Tier Points

e.g. here's my full stat page: http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/...rname=inDheart
inDheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-9-2016, 07:56 PM   #7
devonin
Very Grave Indeed
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to devonin Send a message via MSN to devonin

That...really highlights how few active players there are.

281 ranked plays out of the 6000 games I've played? How recently did this start counting?

Last edited by devonin; 07-9-2016 at 08:02 PM..
devonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-9-2016, 08:40 PM   #8
PrawnSkunk
Administrator
User Administrator
AdministratorDeveloperFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Advanced stats only began tracking for the R^3 engine on April 17, 2016. I will include this as a disclaimer on the leaderboards so there's no confusion.

Every song result has been saved since October 2015, so it is possible to update these numbers retroactively to that point. I wish we could infer advances stats beyond that point without having to estimate.
PrawnSkunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-9-2016, 08:45 PM   #9
LogicalBeast
FFR Player

Thumbs up Re: Depressing statistics

Here's some statistics to cheer you up my friend.

- There are 101,656 players in the WORLD. You are 4,932, which means you are better than 96,724 players, top 4.85% of players (even if 10k or so are inactive accounts, that's still a lot of players you're better than). So you're definitely not a "lost cause"
- On some songs you have better scores than I do:
-- Delirium: 1045p, 32g , 1a, 0m 2b vs my 976p, 79g, 15a, 8m, 22b
-- Sepia and Z you have more points than I do. You're better at FCing trickier patterns than I am, I go for accuracy being an index player. You possess a skill I need to work on LOL, comboing spread patterns like jumpstream and so on >.<
- For someone who plays "on and off" you have waaaaaaaaaay more points than I do, and I also play on and off
- Your AAA Equivalency is REALLY good for your Skill Bracket. Intermediate tier is difficulty 24+ AAA and you have 45.93, which is close to Advanced tier (50+). Clean up the goods and I can't see why you cannot climb up to Advanced tier and beyond. (Y)

http://ffr.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ for more information regarding tiers and so on

Hope this helps
LogicalBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-9-2016, 08:48 PM   #10
rayword45
Local Teenage Wastebasket

mfw 7 ranked plays what the fuck?

BEST AAAs: WANDERLUST, Pandora, Necropotence, Mourning The Lost, Eradication, Feldschlacht

Hey, we need some users on this site. Please join.

And if you have not recommended any albums yet, do so. Please. I have a goal to reach. Here.
NO WAIT THAT SHIT'S OLD GO HERE INSTEAD.
rayword45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-9-2016, 10:11 PM   #11
RenegadeLucien
FFR Veteran
Skill Rating Designer
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalBeast View Post
- Your AAA Equivalency is REALLY good for your Skill Bracket. Intermediate tier is difficulty 24+ AAA and you have 45.93, which is close to Advanced tier (50+).
The cutoff for Advanced is actually 46. So you're one strong play away from it

RenegadeLucien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-9-2016, 10:24 PM   #12
LogicalBeast
FFR Player

I swear I didn't get promoted until after I AAA'd The Prototype. :/ Hmmm, if it's 46 not 50 that's even easier then haha!

Edit: if what you say is true, perhaps I got promoted after I AAA'd CIA Rave. It was almost a year ago so I long forgotten what promoted me from Intermediate to Advanced. XD

Last edited by LogicalBeast; 07-9-2016 at 10:27 PM.. Reason: Extra info
LogicalBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-9-2016, 10:27 PM   #13
icontrolyourworld
Enjoy life!
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Here's the thing, if you're only playing casually you're never going to improve large amounts. If you play like once a month for 2 hours you will not see the same improvement as someone that plays 15-20 times a month for 2 hour sessions.

If you want to see yourself succeed you have to put the time and effort into pushing your limits, and improving every aspect of your play. There are no shortcuts or quick tips anyone can give you other than put your all into it and eventually you'll improve. It may not even be immediate improvement but you really have to accept that fact and just keep playing. Most importantly, don't get frustrated, have as much fun as you can while playing. Good luck my friend!

Last edited by icontrolyourworld; 07-9-2016 at 10:28 PM..
icontrolyourworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 02:21 PM   #14
Jacob15728
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Thanks to everyone who responded. I'm feeling much better now. I do think that my biggest weakness is perfect attack. I can FC fairly complex and fast patterns (at least on songs below level 65 or so) but I tend to get a lot of goods because my rhythm is slightly off. I didn't even realize how much this impacts the score until very recently. Hopefully if I can improve that I will be getting much better scores.
Jacob15728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 03:02 PM   #15
Dinglesberry
longing
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob15728 View Post
Thanks to everyone who responded. I'm feeling much better now. I do think that my biggest weakness is perfect attack. I can FC fairly complex and fast patterns (at least on songs below level 65 or so) but I tend to get a lot of goods because my rhythm is slightly off. I didn't even realize how much this impacts the score until very recently. Hopefully if I can improve that I will be getting much better scores.
I was about to say that I'm like rank 1500 and there's patterns in 63s I can't even hit, but then I realized I'm thinking in terms of AAAing - I don't think that being able to fc something means you are able to hit it necessarily... at the end of the day you only get goods if you stumble and aren't accurate. I still have a loooong road ahead of me but I'm enjoying the progression alot, the difference between level 63 and level 64 songs in terms of being able to SDG them for me seems pretty big lol.

You got it though, the key to improving is speed and accuracy. Find the highest level song you can SDG, then progressively try to SDG songs on the next level, etc. Once you start to focus on PA, you realize how well you can really hit the patterns Another thing is to avoid cherrypicking songs that just play to your strengths - sure, if you are really good at streams you can go and AAA stuff like Vertex beta, and play only stream files and practice those and get a high rank, but your "rank" with streams would be disproportionate than your rank with things like jacks or jumpstreams.

One thing that helped me, was to change the color of perfects and amazings to black so you can't see them, then make goods, averages, boos and misses more vibrant colours. I have pink goods, yellow averages, red misses and blue boos I think.

My logic is, you should play with the intent to hit every note perfectly, and as such, keeping track of your perfects during a song, in an optimal situation, is unnecessary. This makes it so when you get a good or boo or miss, it pops out at you and you can notice it better. You'll start to notice things like chains of goods when your fingers start to stumble on streams and such.

Good luck brother, we believe in you.

Edit: looking at your scores, your rank and level implies you can AAA around level 41s.. Do you have any level 41 sdgs? Perhaps start there.

As people have said, the cutoff for advanced (division 3) is level 46, and you are currently level 41. The level has an xp bar, and it indicates the level of songs you should be able to AAA. If you work your way up to sdging level 46+ songs, I think you could definitely pull if off if you work at it.

Last edited by Dinglesberry; 07-10-2016 at 04:00 PM.. Reason: Fixed derp wording cause i ramble and keep adding stuff in random spots of the post
Dinglesberry is offline   Reply With Quote