Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Video Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-6-2016, 09:28 PM   #21
RagedBerserker
Hello Kitty
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: What is worth the playthrough?

Dave Mirra (RIP) Freestyle BMX 2

Only because he was born in my Hometown.

I'm just an old boy now
RagedBerserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-6-2016, 10:00 PM   #22
_Zenith_
Accuracy Player
Retired StaffD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by korny View Post
are you not a Zelda fan? Cuz wind walker is a godly game
Only played Link to the Past

I'd like to play Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask someday, but newer installments of the Zelda franchise doesn't tickle my fancy.

@Bmah, I tried to get into Enter the Dragonfly and quite frankly I agree I've only done a snippet of 1 thanks to Warped having that button input to do so (and Ripto's Rage for CTR)

_Zenith_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-6-2016, 10:11 PM   #23
ShurykaN
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

You should become a Super Mario Sunshine speedrunner
Old 07-6-2016, 10:28 PM   #24
choof
Banned
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Zenith_ View Post
Never heard of Parasite Eve, interesting name though
absolutely love this game but I will tell you right now it has practically zero replay value unless you want to see the "true" ending, and if this is the case then you need to be prepared for loads of grinding and min-maxing. I guess in that way, it's a "classic" style jrpg.
I'd also say that it's slightly overrated, combat is really fun but it's super slow and controls (specifically not getting hit by things) are kinda wonky some times.

Quote:
I need to get into Metroid in general, I've played Prime a little bit and one on the DS a lot but that was it
your computer can run snes and gba emulators, play metroid zero mission, super metroid and metroid fusion. I would say in that order as well.

Quote:
USA Ports of the early FF imo are bad, I played 1-3 and tried my hardest to get into those version but bleh
if you truly want to play the early final fantasies, I would recommend playing the gba series, and I would also recommend playing them casually on your phone using a gba emulator so you don't get burnt out by hours upon hours of turn-based random encounters

they remade FF1/2 (Dawn of Souls, I know this version of FF1 in and out and have done multiple challenge runs), FF4 (aka the one that was remade for the DS, the -true- FF4), FF5 (one that gets overlooked by loads of people, has a job system), and FF6 (probably the best early FF in terms of story, this is one of the true "classics")

also fun fact: if the game source is a disk, it's an ISO. if it's a cartridge, it's a ROM.
choof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-6-2016, 10:42 PM   #25
_Zenith_
Accuracy Player

I played through FF2 (SNES) twice fully and it's arguably the most fun out of the entire series for me, although I'll never get tired of rerunning FFX or FF7

Unfortunately I'd only be able to emulate on my computer since I never had a phone other than when that walkie-talkie phone shit was still a thing when our family was homeless and separated

I'll follow that order for Metroid though, and the one I played was Metroid Prime Hunters, got relatively far in it but never beat it

@Shury, haha if only, I'm not much into speedrunning but it's a good watch! I'd have to say the closest to speedrunning that I've done was Portal 1; I'm more of a completionist

I believe I tried one of the GBA ones but the Active Time system really threw me off (I think it was the remake of 2 for the GBA).

Old 07-8-2016, 01:09 AM   #26
devonin
Very Grave Indeed
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to devonin Send a message via MSN to devonin

Find a copy of 'Eternal Darkness' for the Gamecube. Phenomenal.
devonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-8-2016, 01:43 AM   #27
hi19hi19
lol happy
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Parasite Eve is one of those games that's worth the playthrough, once, and only if you don't get ANYTHING spoiled for you.
Then you watch the stuff you missed/didn't get on YouTube instead of grinding it for 50 hours in a second playthrough.

Also Valkyrie Profile. It has the same problem where you will basically never get the "good ending" unless you have a walkthrough, but it happens to be one of the most beautiful games ever so it's definitely worth playing through at least once. It also has an amazing battle system AND an amazing party management system, the plot gets pretty JRPG at times but the mechanics are really different from usual JRPG Final Fantasy stuff.

Last edited by hi19hi19; 07-8-2016 at 01:44 AM..
hi19hi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-8-2016, 01:55 AM   #28
Xenorosth
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Styx, Master of Shadows. Cheap when on sale, yet really good. Kinda funny when it bugs out on deaths too. I found it for 10 bucks. Was shocked.
Old 07-8-2016, 09:26 AM   #29
Arntonach
Owlbears Rock!

NieR for the PS3 and Xbox360. It's a spinoff of the Drakenguard series and it's story has many parallels to Spec Ops: The Line. It deals with a father and his daughter, living after the end of the world, as he tries to find a cure for a disease that plaguing the world and his daughter. It's a heavy game and the gameplay's a little bland, but the story is incredible. And make sure to play through it a few more times, cause it gets even deeper on the second and third go.

There's also Lost Kingdoms 2 for the GC. It's a solid game that, if you like minmaxing and 100% completion will have a ton to offer.
Arntonach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-9-2016, 03:38 AM   #30
MixMasterLar
Beach Bum Extraordinaire
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to MixMasterLar Send a message via Skype™ to MixMasterLar

Crash Warped and Syphon Filter are worth beating, and they shouldn't take too long, although SF can be demanding.

Seconding Parasite Eve and Final Fantasy 6 (or on SNES, 3)

PE is exactly like what Hi19 says, but damn if it's something you'll be sorry you missed out on if you don't give it a try. Worth it if you can get it on cheap (And if you have PSN, you can)

FF6 is one of the greatest RPGs I have played IMHO.....well aside from Chrono Trigger, but CT has a very special place in my heart.

I understand that the SNES release of FF6 is rough but the PSX isn't that bad and the GBA version is pretty great. There's also fan translations that are pretty good if you're into that sort of thing.

Facebook / Youtube / Twitter

MixMasterLar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-9-2016, 04:10 AM   #31
choof
Banned
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by devonin View Post
Find a copy of 'Eternal Darkness' for the Gamecube. Phenomenal.
ooh yeah this. have actually not played it but I have literally never heard a negative thing about it aside from people being too weak to handle the shit the game does to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arntonach View Post
NieR for the PS3 and Xbox360
haven't played this one either but I've listened to the soundtrack and it's amazing
choof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-9-2016, 02:14 PM   #32
Devilchilly
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Road Rash and OutRun 2: Coast 2 Coast (arcade version) are the only two games that I've played on this list. OutRun is a typical racing game but I had some decent fun with it, Road Rash's a big part of my childhood because of how funny the concept it was for me back then lol.

Devilchilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 04:03 PM   #33
_Zenith_
Accuracy Player

Bump since back

I used to have Eternal Darkness (didn't play much of it) but I left it over a friends and now we have no contact Super Mario Baseball also disappeared the same way..

Never heard of Styx or NieR but NieR sounds interesting (I don't really mind bland gameplay as long as the story is on point)

During the time with no internet access I played and beat Simpson's Hit and Run again (first runs average 82.6% completion over 7 levels) and I was playing FF:CC a lot more but didn't get too too far into it (3rd year, just reached the zone after crossing on the boat) and actually about FF:CC, I originally was STR/DEF based but I got some Magic artifacts and magic is a hell of a lot better than strength imo Cast time is a little tricky at times but I was combining Fire + Life for Holy and everything was two-four casts except bosses.

@Devilchilly, I told my neighbor I had Road Rash and we sat down and beat the first level together but stopped playing it. That moment when we realized getting popped by the cops resets all levels (rip). We also played a shitton of Gain Ground together (amazing game)