Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Life and Arts > Audio and Music Production
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-3-2014, 12:26 AM   #41
EzExZeRo7497
FFR Veteran

Default Re: An Album A Day Keeps The Doctor Away | 365 Album Challenge

All albums added. I don't think I'll need to rely on my backlog much longer at this point, because...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zageron View Post
"Top Ten": (Not really, just a good spread.)
Various Artists - A Childhood Remembered
Seatbelts - Cowboy Bebop
Yasuharu Takanashi - FAIRY TAIL ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK VOLUME 1
澤野弘之 - Ao no Exorcist 1
Yoko Kanno - Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex O.S.T. 3
soundTeMP - Ragnarok Online Complete Soundtrack
Norihiko Hibino - Live Music by Piano and Strings: 7th Dragon Super Arrange Version
Harry Gregson-Williams - The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
Alasdair Fraser & Natalie Haas - In the Moment
Ott - Mir
(Extra single song) Tim Halbert - Do Not Listen - Excremental Intermission (Boomshine Mix)

The Rest: (Not sorted, all awesome.)
Paul Keeley - Sunset At Midnight
Seagaia - Anodyne
Sean Hogan - Anodyne Remix Album
Sachi Ozawa - The Epic of Zektbach -Piano Collection-
Kohei Tanaka - GRAVITY DAZE
梶浦由記 - Mai-HiME Volume 1: HiME
澤野弘之 - Ao no Exorcist 2
Various Artists - Video Games Live: Volume One
Michiru Oshima - Fullmetal Alchemist Original Soundtrack 3
梶浦由記 - Tsubasa Chronicle - Future Soundscape I
Jonne Valtonen - Symphonic Fantasies (2010)
Taku Iwasaki - Witch Hunter Robin
Marasy - V.I.P (Marasy plays Vocaloid Instrumental on Piano)
Various Artists - Wild Arms: ARMed and DANGerous
SOLAR FIELDS - [ Blue Moon Station ]
Austin Wintory - Transfiguration
Yoko Kanno - Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex O.S.T. +
Yoko Kanno - Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex O.S.T. 2
Yoko Kanno - Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex O.S.T. 4
寺嶋民哉 - Tweeny Witches
A.M. - Arise
Robert Rich - Somnium
Norihiko Hibino - Live Music by Piano and Strings: Sekaiju no MeiQ I & II Super Arrange Version
Kumi Tanioka - NieR Gestalt & Replicant Piano Collections
KOKIA - Origin: Spirit of the Past
Joe Hisaishi - Spirited Away Relaxing Orgel Ghibli Collection
Tomáš Dvořák - Machinarium Bonus EP
Bruno Coulais - Coraline
Thomas Newman - Finding Nemo
ShibayanRecords - マジコカタストロフィ
Dana Immanuel - Character Assassination
Zabutom - Zeta Force
DJ Hidden - The Words Below
Dryft - Cell
Dryft - Ventricle
halc - Pixel Perfect Complete
Kutapira - Synergy
zircon - Fittest: Original Soundtrack
zircon - Identity Sequence
zircon - Mass Media Constant
zircon - Unearthed
Goddamn. I see that you're really into anime (and film) soundtracks - and there are some in that list that I've been planning to listen to for a while but I forgot about them. The ones I've bolded are ones I've already listened to.

Fairy Tail's first original soundtrack is pretty good. Filled with energy as a whole, though some tracks are weaker than the rest. I don't remember much from that soundtrack though, it's been a long time since I've listened to it. I do remember the main theme being amazing though, easily my favourite track in the entire OST. I gave it a 7/10, but it's probably more towards 7.5/10.

Tsubasa Chronicle's first soundtrack is decent, but I feel that it's pretty expected of Yuki Kajiura. The only track that stood out to me is A Song of Storm and Fire, but the rest feels rather unmemorable. I do prefer the third soundtrack more than the rest of the soundtracks, but overall I don't think the anime's overall soundtrack is lackluster as a whole. Madoka's soundtrack is better, I feel. 6/10 is what I rated Tsubasa Chronicle's first OST.

Somnium... is an album that I can't really rate accurately. It is indeed beautiful, but it's absurdly long. As much as I don't mind long tracks (Most of Basinski's loops come to mind), 7 hours worth of ambient is just too much for me to fully enjoy. I know that it's supposed to be used for sleep, but there are many other albums that induce a far better sleep than Somnium does. Maybe if the album was split into 3 different albums, I'd give 8/10 or higher for each part. As it is, 7.5/10 sounds fine.

You can pick one of the albums in the "rest" section and I can put that in the shortlist instead.

Last edited by EzExZeRo7497; 05-3-2014 at 12:43 AM..
EzExZeRo7497 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-3-2014, 12:29 AM   #42
L.B.D.D
FFR Player

Yoko Kanno - Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex O.S.T. 3
Yoko Kanno - Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex O.S.T. 3Yoko Kanno - Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex O.S.T. 3Yoko Kanno - Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex O.S.T. 3Yoko Kanno - Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex O.S.T. 3Yoko Kanno - Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex O.S.T. 3Yoko Kanno - Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex O.S.T. 3Yoko Kanno - Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex O.S.T. 3Yoko Kanno - Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex O.S.T. 3
L.B.D.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-3-2014, 12:43 AM   #43
L.B.D.D
FFR Player

is good
L.B.D.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-3-2014, 12:43 AM   #44
Zageron
Zageron E. Tazaterra
RRR Developer & DevOps Support
AdministratorDeveloperFFR Veteran

8) hehe
I can see what you mean with Somnium.

I'll push Seagaia - Anodyne up into the list, because it's unique and really really cool.
Old 05-3-2014, 03:04 AM   #45
EzExZeRo7497
FFR Veteran

ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
Legit Christmas by LegitMusicProducer (recommended by omega_grunt666)
I'm not creative enough to write some post-ironic review and I think it'd too be cliche to say that it's a 10/10 review with pompous vocabulary.

Sike.

i remember this one time my mom and dad told me that i'm going to be a grate musician one day although all i sang was lincoln park - i found a drum set and did constant gravity blasts and cymbal crashes. i could see my parents cringing but at the same time giving me a thumbs up to signify that i'm doing great. so i took my recordings with my dad's mobile phone and put it up on the internet, i'd imagine that they will get a 5.00 average rating because they should know what real music is instead of hannah montana XDDDDD

I think that's why no one likes me anymore. This album reminds me of what I did years ago. And it's more beautiful than I ever remembered.

I cry every time.

We at the combination Pizza Hut and Taco Bell.

~YOLO~

This obviously isn't a serious album, so I can't rate this album seriously. I tried really hard to think of a review for this but that's the best I could conjure. So how about this - I didn't like it.

Oh and uh, happy birthday omega_grunt.

Album Highlights: That horn sample at the ending of RazorDubstep, Sandstorm
Track Average Rating: -
Overall Rating: 2/10

The Nothings of the North by Ametsub

The Nothings of the North is a glitch/IDM album from Ametsub, with some elements of jazz embedded into some of the tracks, such as Lichen with Piano.

Interesting album, very reminiscent of Kashiwa Daisuke - particularly Write Once, Run Melos from Program Music I. The main difference between Daisuke and Ametsub however, is their secondary elements. While Daisuke's melodies have very clear post-rock and modern classical elements, Ametsub takes a more minimal approach in his music. Ametsub also reminds me of a warmer Autechre and The Flashbulb at some points, especially in tracks like Snowy Lava; a track with generally minimal elements layering on top of another as it progresses.

The album is filled with generally minimal compositions and they're very relaxing. The melodies are short and they repeat themselves pretty often, but they don't seem to die down. In fact, the melodies are very lively, perhaps playful as well. Tracks do feel rather repetitive at points, but they're still okay for what they are so it's not too much of an issue. 66 is incredibly droney with its subtle yet intense feedback in the latter half, probably my favourite part of the album.

While the combination of relaxation and playfulness is nice, it does feel very aimless. It's too subtle for its own good - as much as I find it incredibly pleasant. Its light rises in energy do very little to enhance the experience, if anything at all. It does suck me into a different environment, but it's pretty similar to watching paint dry. It gets interesting for the first few minutes, and then it gets boring after some time. Subtlety is great and all, but something more mobile would be fantastic.

I really don't think this is a bad album by any means, in fact I found this album to be incredibly pretty. I'm just not enjoying it as much as I should be. I really like subtlety if used right - and there's no denying that it is used well here. I think it's because the tracks, to me anyway, feel like stationary pictures rather than animations. I could imagine someone who's into Autechre (other than Confield or Gantz Graf) or ambient techno to really enjoy this album. Unfortunately I don't fall in either of those categories, so maybe I'll revisit this in the future once I venture more into minimal electronic music. As it is, it's decent.

Album Highlights: Solitude, 66
Track Average Rating: 3.04/5
Overall Rating: 6.5/10

Last edited by EzExZeRo7497; 05-29-2014 at 09:05 AM..
Old 05-3-2014, 04:32 AM   #46
Nullifidian
Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Skyline View Post
* DJ SHARPNEL & V.A. - OTAKUSPEEDVIBE [SRPC-0030]

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzExZeRo7497 View Post
OTAKUSPEEDVIBE - Very inconsistent as a whole, Over The Fullereneshift is probably my favourite Sharpnel track ever but there's a lot of other tracks that bog down my experience. It's better than most Sharpnel releases, but it suffers from the same problem that other Sharpnel albums do. They only have one or two standout tracks, and the others just seem boring in comparison. I gave that a 6/10 I think.
I was wondering why Nick recommended this. I actually agree that this is a very inconsistent album and I wouldn't have recommended it myself. It's imo one of the worst albums on Sharpnelsound. There are a lot more interesting Sharpnelsound albums that are much better than this (like CYCLICK, UG☆PSYCLONE, the early albums from 1998 to 2001 or experimental albums like cotton pantie's albums).

Though I guess you also have to take into consideration that most of the later sharpnelsound albums are compilations of songs that were already released on themed albums (like the kirby remix Green D on SRPC-0027, which was originally released on a kirby remix album and Macau Underground on SRPC-0026 which was originally released on a beauty:burst CD with an old TV show as theme). Out of context a lot of these tracks don't make sense.
Old 05-3-2014, 06:01 AM   #47
AlexDest
good hot
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

hope you haven't actually listened to any Serph albums
Old 05-3-2014, 06:24 AM   #48
Arkuski
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Arkuski Send a message via Skype™ to Arkuski

Quote:
Originally Posted by choof View Post
all of them
Welp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Vagabond View Post
i can appreciate a good looking woman when i see one and this one just happened to be my mom
Arkuski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-3-2014, 10:41 PM   #49
Hateandhatred
"The Quebec Steparatist."
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

IneartheD - Shining (super mega short album)
Tiny Tim - God Bless Tiny Tim
HOM - Супердиск
Old 05-4-2014, 03:53 AM   #50
EzExZeRo7497
FFR Veteran

Added.

May 4th, 2014

Rain in England by Lil B (recommended by rayword45)

I really didn't want to review this, along with 05 Fuck Em. Unfortunately the randomizer gave me this album to review so soon.

Sigh... anyway. Rain in England is a cloud rap album from the Based God, Brandon McCartney. He speaks on topics such as family, love and death over bright drones similar to a couple of new age ambient artists.

I don't think you can really call this someone rapping, but rather a self-meditation tape. I really can't find anything interesting to talk about when it comes to this album - whether it's the content or the concept. It's incredibly boring since there's no diversity at all other than his supposedly thought-provoking/surreal lyricism.

Compare it to his cooking songs which are incredibly silly but at the same time entertaining. This is just... something else. I'm too cynical to take these lyrics seriously, especially since it's littered with so many cliches. I honestly have no idea if Lil B is being completely sincere or just being ironic.

I don't hate Lil B though, it's pretty funny to see someone screw with the conventions of hip-hop every now and then. I don't know if this is an attempt to do whatever he would normally do, but this isn't working. It's relaxing at least, but this has to be a joke. Even if it is, it's not a funny one.

Album Highlights: -
Overall Rating: 2/10

This is also my 666th rating on RYM. All hail the based god.

...I'm also removing 05 Fuck Em from the list. Although from what I've seen it is one of Lil B's better works, 101 tracks of Lil B is something that I don't want to spend my time on. Arkuski, feel free to recommend another album instead.

Pop by Gas

Ooo, ambient. My favourite genre, so I can type a lot more about the album and what I think of it.

Gas is an ambient techno artist hailing from Germany. He gained some popularity with Zauberberg and Konigsforst, which is predominantly ambient techno and minimal techno. Wolfgang takes a step away from his specialty to create his fourth album, Pop. Pop is an ambient album filled with field recordings from nature, with his own flare of ambient techno embedded in some of the tracks.

The first two tracks give you a very clear scene of a forest lush with plants in daylight. There's no one in this place, just you, the quiet sounds of insects and roaring sounds of waterfalls. There's something special about listening to all those intricate details. The textures don't feel artificial, they feel very real and sincere. Although the tracks are very serene, they are incredibly overwhelming. It immerses you into its world within the first minute, which is a very good characteristic for an ambient album. The first track is too short for me to take in everything at first, but the second track is long enough so that everything just soaks into me. It's a wonderful feeling.

The album would be really boring if it's just these two tracks though. As much as I find nature beautiful, there's only so much of the same sound I could take before it becomes bland. Fortunately, it does change in the third track. This track is incredibly subtle, but very startling nonetheless. Hours have passed and the sky is much darker now. The weather isn't friendly either, the sounds of harsh winds start to form in this track. The faint sounds of my pulse tightens up the atmosphere a little, which further enhances the surreal experience.

The fourth track introduces ambient techno into the mix, which isn't something that I'd want with an atmosphere like this. It's very blue in colour and the track as a whole reminds me of Submers by Loscil. It also has the problem that Submers has too; although the sound is breath-taking and rather bleak, but the kick drum is a bit too powerful and changes the atmosphere completely. Instead of fearing for what it's yet to come, it feels like you're in a trance-like state. Doesn't really fit in the album, but it's still a nice listen.

The bizarre change in environment doesn't last for long, the fifth track brings you back into your senses and you're back in nature. Not much time has passed by since your hallucinogenic trip, but the weather has changed drastically. It's pretty cold, but at the same time the atmosphere feels welcoming. It's much quieter than you remembered - the animals are sleeping and the waterfall seems to trickle rather than roar. Pleasant listen, you could almost feel Mother Nature herself hugging you as you soak in everything.

Her warmth dissipitates in the sixth and seventh tracks. The weather is worsening and the winds are becoming relentless. The winds you've experienced in the third track feels like a mellow breeze in comparison. Your anxiety further deepens, now you're shaking in fear. You have nothing to protect yourself, so you have to face whatever is ahead of you very soon. It doesn't help that the danger ahead shows no presence anywhere, so it becomes a far darker experience than you'd ever expect it to be.

Enter the seventh track. Everything you thought about what's coming for you is nothing compared to what's actually incoming. Relentless storms form and unleash their powers, and you have nothing to protect yourself. Your heart is beating fast. You try to run from these storms, sheltering yourself with trees and other natural formations, only for them to be ripped apart by strong winds. You keep repeating the process, until you realise... there's nowhere left to hide. You look at the storm head on and close your eyes. You realise that you were transported here with all its resources destroyed, so you finally accept whatever the storm will take you to; whether it'd be home, another island or a visit to the Grim Reaper.

A little thing to note is that the seventh track also has ambient techno elements, similar to the fourth track. It does fit very well given the track before it though, so it's a problem at all. In fact, the strong kick drum enhances the overwhelming feeling of dread - the main feeling I get from this track in particular.

This album became more of a track by track journal rather than a review, whoops. I think this review shows why I like ambient so much. It's incredibly immersive and it brings you to places that you'd never expect to ever visit. Ambient does the tickets and accommodation for you, you just need to grab your headphones and close your eyes.

The album does feel rather open-ended, an eighth track mirroring the serenity of the first track would make it come full circle. That's the only problem I can think of.
It takes a considerable amount of effort to create such vivid landscapes contrasting in atmosphere so clearly and wonderfully. Although some bits feel rather out of place (the fourth track particularly), they still create a coherent experience that is simply outstanding. Strong contender for a 9, but it might be because I listened to Lil B beforehand, but I doubt it. I'll give this album a few more listens before considering on giving this a higher rating, but it is superb.

Shoutouts to Trogdor!!!! for recommending me this album before I thought of the idea of asking everyone on FFR for music recommendations. I'm glad you noticed me.

Album Highlights: Pop 3, Pop 6, Pop 7
Track Average Rating: 4.14/5
Overall Rating: 8/10

Old 05-4-2014, 08:12 AM   #51
Arkuski
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Arkuski Send a message via Skype™ to Arkuski

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzExZeRo7497 View Post
...I'm also removing 05 Fuck Em from the list. Although from what I've seen it is one of Lil B's better works, 101 tracks of Lil B is something that I don't want to spend my time on. Arkuski, feel free to recommend another album instead.
lol completely understandable. I'll add Bon Iver, Bon Iver - Bon Iver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Vagabond View Post
i can appreciate a good looking woman when i see one and this one just happened to be my mom
Arkuski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-4-2014, 12:16 PM   #52
AlexDest
good hot
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Ad·ver·sary - A Bright Cut Across Velvet Sky
Antigen Shift - The Way Of The North
Clark - Body Riddle
Serph - Vent
Serph - Heartstrings
Old 05-4-2014, 06:58 PM   #53
rayword45
Local Teenage Wastebasket
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Goddamnit, that's the first of my recommendations that you get? I haven't even listened to that album myself. I just recommended it to be an assfuck.

BEST AAAs: WANDERLUST, Pandora, Necropotence, Mourning The Lost, Eradication, Feldschlacht

Hey, we need some users on this site. Please join.

And if you have not recommended any albums yet, do so. Please. I have a goal to reach. Here.
NO WAIT THAT SHIT'S OLD GO HERE INSTEAD.
rayword45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-5-2014, 04:56 AM   #54
GammaBlaster
FFR Player

Pantera - Metal Magic
Pantera - Projects In The Jungle
Pantera - I Am The Night
Pantera - Power Metal
Pantera - Vulgar Display Of Power
Pantera - Far Beyond Driven
Pantera - The Great Southern Trendkill
Pantera - Reinventing The Steel
Blood On The Dance Floor - Let's Start A Riot
Blood On The Dance Floor - It's Hard To Be A Diamond In A Rhinestone World
Blood On The Dance Floor - The Anthem Of The Outcast
Blood On The Dance Floor - Evolution
GammaBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-5-2014, 08:29 AM   #55
EzExZeRo7497
FFR Veteran

Added Alex's albums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaBlaster View Post
Pantera - Metal Magic
Pantera - Projects In The Jungle
Pantera - I Am The Night
Pantera - Power Metal
Pantera - Vulgar Display Of Power
Pantera - Far Beyond Driven
Pantera - The Great Southern Trendkill
Pantera - Reinventing The Steel
Blood On The Dance Floor - Let's Start A Riot
Blood On The Dance Floor - It's Hard To Be A Diamond In A Rhinestone World
Blood On The Dance Floor - The Anthem Of The Outcast
Blood On The Dance Floor - Evolution
no, listen to any one of them first then get back to me

(I want serious recommendations please, gimmicks are fine but something that isn't supposed to be enjoyed unironically is something that I can't review. BotDF is a given, but recommending the Pantera discography is silly.)

Went through a depersonalisation episode. Reviewing only one album today.

May 5th, 2014

Kollegah by Kollegah (recommended by Coolboyrulez0)

Felix Antoine Blume, better known as Kollegah, is a German rapper. His style of rap is heavily based on gangsta rap and is quite well-known among the German hip-hop community for his speed and punchlines. Kollegah is his second album. I've listened to Kollegah before, any seasoned Stepmania player would've heard some of his songs before. Veni Vidi Vici is fantastic, but just naming one track from him would be pretty sily. His punchlines are insanely good, his speed is ridiculous but his lyrics really exemplify the stereotype of only gangsters liking and producing hip-hop.

Decent production, the beats are pretty attention-grabbing of the album. Kollegah is generally very fluent, even at his fastest - such as the latter half of Kokamuzik. I have to respect that, it's quite the challenge to execute a structure so complicated yet so fast-paced without issue. Even outside his speed though, there are some fantastic tracks. 30.3 is incredibly engaging with its beat and Kollegah's constant upbeat energy. Everything just clicked well in that track, aside from the fact that it ended abruptly anyway.

I really didn't like a couple of parts in the album, such as the autotune in Bad Boy (he's not really good at singing, autotune doesn't help) and the female vocals in Doubletime/Halftime Freestyle. That's not my biggest gripe with the album though...

My biggest problem with this album is the length and variation. 17 tracks? There's very little variation in the album, which really detracts my attention. Some of his punchlines are smart, his rhyme structures are pretty complex, but the content itself doesn't hold my attention. His lyrics are rather bland too - mainly talking about how he is the boss for the most part.

His technical ability is fantastic and he shows that he is a fantastic lyricist. I think he'd do much better if he raps more about something different other than how he's the boss or pimp. He doesn't have to do conscious hip-hop, but at least move out of the "gangsta rap" zone for a bit.

Perhaps it's better to listen to this album in smaller bits, I just can't see myself listening to this again. Some of the tracks aren't engaging at all, but there are also some that are very good. Hmm...

I think a high 5/10 is fine, but this isn't a genre that I'm experienced in. I'm rating this based on how much I liked it, I guess.

Album Highlights: 30.3, Kokamuzik, Herbst
Overall Rating: 5/10

Old 05-5-2014, 01:17 PM   #56
Hateandhatred
"The Quebec Steparatist."
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Here's a few more:

Loreena McKennitt - The Journey So Far
Mary Dillon - North
Paul Gilbert & Jimi Kidd - Raw Blues Power
Boris Berezovsky - Rachmaninov: Concertos pour piano 1 & 4
Galneryus - The Flag Of Punishment
Ewan Dobson - Ewan Dobson
Kylähullut - Peräaukko Sivistyksessä

That makes 10, was tryna be diverse. Have fun!

EDIT: Fuck it, I'll add a pop album.

Sia - Some People Have Real Problems

There.

Last edited by Hateandhatred; 05-5-2014 at 01:28 PM..
Hateandhatred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-6-2014, 09:42 AM   #57
EzExZeRo7497
FFR Veteran

May 6th, 2014

1996 by Ryuichi Sakamoto
Ryuichi Sakamoto is a profilic musician, responsible for the film scores for Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence and The Last Emperor. His music is very diverse in terms of genres, spanning from contemporary classical to ambient to glitch. He's also a member of the Yellow Magic Orchestra, which is an influential innovator in the field of popular electronic music.

A lot of these pieces remind me very strongly of JRPGs and even some classic anime series. 1919, for example, is incredibly reminiscent of the Final Fantasy games (X specifically), at least for me. It's very cinematic despite the instrumentation being subtle, which is great. Although I don't personally enjoy it so much, it's still really interesting that Sakamoto was able to create such tension with so little.

The shining star here is of course, Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence. It is based on the original track, a mellow yet sombre piece of music which is... tear-jerking to say the least. While I don't think this arrangement has done the original justice, it is still really good.

While it is certainly magical, I just can't get into it. Its presence is not strong enough, and at its strongest, it only lasts for very brief. A Day A Gorilla Gives A Banana shows this issue the most. Although there are a few moments that are brilliant, it becomes something completely different within seconds. Variance is nice of course, but switching that often is just ridiculous.

Although the pieces are all over the emotional spectrum, none of these pieces create much of a dent for me to experience these emotions first-hand. I could see that Sakamoto is trying to convey this, I just don't feel it. Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence seems to be the only exception, but I think it was mainly because the original is incredibly powerful to begin with.

Interestingly enough, I've thought 88 by Kashiwa Daisuke (another modern classical album, but more minimal) is also not strong enough at first. It grew a lot on me since then, so perhaps this one might too. I doubt it though, I think the album is a bit too unfocused, long-winded and generally too vibrant for me to really enjoy.

Album Highlights: Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence, The Sheltering Sky Theme
Track Average Rating: 2.88/5
Overall Rating: 5.5/10

Body Riddle by Clark (recommended by AlexDest)
First time listening to Clark, although I've heard his name being thrown around here and there. Body Riddle is an IDM album with downtempo and nu-jazz elements.

This album baffles me. As much as I'm into IDM in general, this album is really something that I can't put my finger on. In some moments the album reminds me of a far rougher Flashbulb and Boards of Canada, but it's hard to give an actual comparison. I'd say the best way of describing it would be the playfulness of Aphex Twin with some warmth from BoC occasionally, but that's still not necessarily correct. But still, they're both artists that... I'm not fond of at all.

I think the album is a little bit too ambitious. While it is filled with complex rhythms and is very colourful, I can't really see any base. The sound is incredibly dense, filled with tons of twists and turns. Exciting? Absolutely. Engaging? Not really. Tracks like Ted which are slightly less ambitious turned out to be some of my favourite parts of the album. It is a pretty good mixture of dense sound and accessibility, which makes it a fantastic tune. Can't quite say the same for the other tracks though.

The album has some tranquil tunes (Matthew Unburdened) to tracks that I could barely understand (Frau Wav). I tend to prefer the ones that are in between, they're either too hollow to really cause an emotional effect or too dense for me to appreciate otherwise. Most of the tracks seem to lean towards one side of the spectrum though, so I can't really like them to large extents.

I think I would've enjoyed this a lot more years ago, during the phase when I was mainly into breakcore and IDM. I still like those genres, but I really don't like them as much as I used to. This album, although a wonderful effort, just doesn't do it for me at all. I can't quite see it as a grower too, so I don't think I'll listen to this again. Anyway, I don't think the album is bad. Just something that I don't think I'd have any interest in listening to again. I could imagine people who are into more experimental electronic music (or at least into BoC/Aphex Twin) to enjoy this more than I did.

Album Highlights: Ted
Track Average Rating: 2.55/5
Overall Rating: 4.5/10

Also reduced Pop's rating to 8.0. As much as I find the tracks fantastic, they're really too rich for me to listen to all at once a second time. I really have to be the right mood for an album like that - otherwise I wouldn't enjoy it so much and just stop halfway through.

Last edited by EzExZeRo7497; 05-29-2014 at 09:06 AM..
Old 05-6-2014, 01:43 PM   #58
omega_grunt666
Nescio quid faciam
FFR Veteran

Never got around to thanking you for the review, thanks for putting up with it hah.

I have some "real" recommendations:

1. Infected Mushroom - Friends On Mushrooms Vol. 2
2. Massive Attack - Mezzanine
3. The Crystal Method - London
4. Jack Conte - VideoSongs Volume 2
5. Pomplamoose - Tribute to Famous People
6. Joe Satriani - Surfing With The Alien
7. Eric Johnson - Ah Via Musicom
8. Priestess - Hello Master
9. Pearl Jam - Ten
Old 05-6-2014, 03:31 PM   #59
James May
FFR Player

1. Alias Conrad Coldwood - Crying Girls
2. Pyongyang Hardcore Resistance - Corea
3. toe + toki asako - HUSKING BEE TRIBUTE ALBUM
4. Shnabubula - NES Jam
5. Blitz Lunar - Triptunes
6. Various Artists - Up (the one with Mathsma Attack, not the Disney one lmao)
7. Various Artists - Equilibrium

Last edited by James May; 05-6-2014 at 08:55 PM..
James May is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-7-2014, 08:37 AM   #60
xVaLoRx
MYFUCKINGSOUND
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by xVaLoRx View Post
Kid606 - PS I Love You
Kid606 - The Soccergirl EP
Cex - Role Model
Squarepusher - Hard Normal Daddy