Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Stepmania
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2011, 04:20 PM   #161
ddrxero64
FFR Player

Default Re: A new beginning for our SM community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincarnate View Post
By "new client" are we talking something entirely different from Stepmania or simply a new iteration of Stepmania itself? Because the latter won't have a significantly negative impact, necessarily.

I think the best solution would be, ideally, to fuse the new community into the Stepmania application itself -- similar to the way that Steam operates.
This client is actually potentially being created by people who know little to nothing about stepmania. They have their own programs they run, and it's more that stepmania is being built into this client than a feature being built into stepmania. Which is why the server would have to be completely reworked.

I'm really not having an ego, but I guess it comes across that way. As for giving Jousway a hard time, it really disappoints me when people just don't go back to where it started to find the root of the problem. My first post was post 54. Of course my next post after that was replying to Jousway's indirect reference on SMO dying, and I replied with a post that wasn't attacking him, which did come off a bit sarcastic. To be honest though, it was true.

Then Jousway and I posted for a pretty decent amount of time without having to reply to each other, because I personally don't attack anyone. I only defend myself, and it's been that way for a long time. Looking back, you'll see that post 97 was the first post to argue against my point, posted by Jousway.

This tension is probably continued from this thread.

http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/...d.php?t=118553

As you can see, I posted first on post 10. It didn't take too long for Jousway to argue my post on post 12.

Are people really taking these words to heart? I don't understand why people will look at text and let it get to them. I'm human and I'll get mad too, but I get over it. It's like trolls posts, they lure people who can't control their feelings and do things irrationally.

C'mon people, look at what's happening. A block of text causes someone to attack someone else. I'm only replying and defending myself when attacked. I treat these threads like any other debate/discussion. I make my points, defend the rebuttals, and stand by my decision. It's not necessary at all, but I choose to. People really shouldn't worry what I choose to do with my time/life.

I have no ego here, and if I did I would have abused my power or tried to lead the pack a long time ago.
ddrxero64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:20 PM   #162
Staiain
Can't handle my ÆØÅ
Retired StaffD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Staiain Send a message via MSN to Staiain Send a message via Skype™ to Staiain

Quote:
(11:07:38 PM) Midiman: how -do- we combine communities
(11:07:48 PM) shakesoda_: we convince people to go back home
This
Staiain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:21 PM   #163
Shikari
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Shikari Send a message via Skype™ to Shikari

Going to stepmania.com would require a new website, with new and bigger forums, and people to "spread the word" throughout the existing Stepmania communities. But, it is a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold stinger View Post
Shikari for resident profile artist
Shikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:22 PM   #164
Jousway
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrxero64 View Post
I'm really not having an ego, but I guess it comes across that way. As for giving Jousway a hard time, it really disappoints me when people just don't go back to where it started to find the root of the problem. My first post was post 54. Of course my next post after that was replying to Jousway's indirect reference on SMO dying, and I replied with post that wasn't attacking him, which did come off a bit sarcastic. To be honest though, it was true.

Then Jousway and I posted for a pretty amount of time without having to reply to each other, because I personally don't attack anyone. I only defend myself, and it's been that way for a long time. Looking back, you'll see that post 97 was the first post to argue against my point, posted by Jousway.

This tension is probably continued from this thread.

http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/...d.php?t=118553

As you can see, I posted first on post 10. It didn't take too long for Jousway to argue my post on post 12.

Are people really taking these words to heart? I don't understand why people will look at text and let it get to them. I'm human and I'll get mad too, but I get over it. It's like trolls posts, they lure people who can't control their feelings and do things irrationally.

C'mon people, look at what's happening. A block of text causes someone to attack someone else. I'm only replying and defending myself when attacked. I treat these threads like any other debate/discussion. I make my points, defend the rebuttals, and stand by my decision. It's not necessary at all, but I choose to. People really shouldn't worry what I choose to do with my time/life.

I have no ego here, and if I did I would have abused my power or tried to lead the pack a long time ago.
ddrxero they arnt only talking about this thread, they are also talking about other threads also on smo about how you talk to me.

Jousway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:27 PM   #165
midimanXG
FFR Player

Quote:
This client is actually potentially being created by people who know little to nothing about stepmania. They have their own programs they run, and it's more that stepmania is being built into this client than a feature being built into stepmania. Which is why the server would have to be completely reworked.
someone announced a client?

also is there a person who actually knows enough about how SMO works to even start collaborating on a real unison?
Old 04-29-2011, 04:28 PM   #166
dAnceguy117
new hand moves = dab
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staiain View Post
Quote:
(11:07:38 PM) Midiman: how -do- we combine communities
(11:07:48 PM) shakesoda_: we convince people to go back home
This
is stepmania.com really home for most players? I don't think I've ever gone there to do anything more than download an updated client. not saying it couldn't work, but I don't know if it's the cut-and-dry solution.
dAnceguy117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:29 PM   #167
aj187
FFR Player

<shakesoda_> stepmania.com is largely already ready to go if people would just go there
<shakesoda_> - developers: check
<shakesoda_> - moderators: check
<shakesoda_> - seeking requests: check

pretty much this.

Granted, StepMania Share would need to be messed with to provide everything needed in the simfile db, but that's possible.
aj187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:29 PM   #168
shakesoda
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikari View Post
Going to stepmania.com would require a new website, with new and bigger forums, and people to "spread the word" throughout the existing Stepmania communities. But, it is a good idea.
"new and bigger forums"

I'm listening. There's not really a need for a new site entirely, what's there needs polish for sure though (which is hard since we don't get much feedback on the systems already in place!)
shakesoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:30 PM   #169
ddrxero64
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by midimanXG View Post
someone announced a client?

also is there a person who actually knows enough about how SMO works to even start collaborating on a real unison?
No, it's been in the works. But the people I refer to have been making clients as long as SM has, and have made just about as many clients as SM. They've had people go off and make their own too, just like SM communities. In terms of their specialty, they know what they're doing. It's a matter of getting the work done because they were willing to negotiate. They sacrificed things, like we did, to try to come together for a bigger cause.

Quote:
what i'd like to see is stepmania.com become a more generalized hub that supports most community at inbetween instead of specialized subcommunities, probably along the lines with smo server support ( smo info combined with regular forum info for example ).

shouldn't be too hard and it's super simple
I tried that, and I was banned from an IRC and ignored via PM offering partnership from SMO. Wanna know what the PM was about?

We were concerned that the SM Beta series wasn't registering scores on the sever correctly. They were marked as cheating, which of course we know isn't true. But this system works well with most clients, other than OpenITG. I sent a PM to see if we can work this out so people could use the client on our server. It was ignored, and I tried to post a couple of times about SM Beta series, with no interest in my posts whatsoever. I really don't understand where the problem lies, but I have my thoughts on it. Either way, how is SMO to work with SM.com if a simple PM regarding a new client can't be answered? It's sad but obvious that some people running SM.com don't like/respect people on SMO, and the truth of the matter is that it probably won't change. Unless the staff changes, or the people change themselves, people won't agree. So I'm forced to try and create this new site.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:30 PM   #170
Dj_Solid_Globe
FFR Player

<-----Akei

Hey Everyone not entirely sure about all this just kinda browsing through all these comments damn its alot to read... Personally we really should just stick to one client for stepmania it just seems more logical... I'm willing to learn anything to help out just let me know ^^
Dj_Solid_Globe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:31 PM   #171
Jousway
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by dAnceguy117 View Post
is stepmania.com really home for most players? I don't think I've ever gone there to do anything more than download an updated client. not saying it couldn't work, but I don't know if it's the cut-and-dry solution.
well freem and shakesoda are both admins on stepmania.com so the can change the forum more user friendly, also if I remember well they got permission from chris danford to put stuff on stepmania.com self, which in this case means the server, but I'm not 100% sure

Old 04-29-2011, 04:34 PM   #172
midimanXG
FFR Player

Quote:
I tried that, and I was banned from an IRC and ignored via PM offering partnership from SMO. Wanna know what the PM was about?
no because it's not my business.
you tried recruitment of -one person- who declined you
Old 04-29-2011, 04:38 PM   #173
Shikari
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Shikari Send a message via Skype™ to Shikari

Quote:
No, it's not a home for most of the players, although IT HAS people there. All we need to do is implement new forums, remake its visual, bring all the features, databases, and most important, and most important, SPREAD THE WORD throughout the main Stepmania communities, so we can unify all these communities into this new stepmania.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold stinger View Post
Shikari for resident profile artist
Shikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:38 PM   #174
ddrxero64
FFR Player

Quote:
no because it's not my business.
you tried recruitment of -one person- who declined you
Well no, it currently stands at three major sites that rejected me. I'm glad this fourth one accepted me, and I hope this site can be created.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:40 PM   #175
Dj_Solid_Globe
FFR Player

Quote:
No, it's not a home for most of the players, although IT HAS people there. All we need to do is implement new forums, remake its visual, bring all the features, databases, and most important, and most important, SPREAD THE WORD throughout the main Stepmania communities, so we can unify all these communities into this new stepmania.com
I argee I can see your goal is a noble one and I'm willing to help in anyway I can ^^
Dj_Solid_Globe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:42 PM   #176
dAnceguy117
new hand moves = dab
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj187 View Post
<shakesoda_> stepmania.com is largely already ready to go if people would just go there
<shakesoda_> - developers: check
<shakesoda_> - moderators: check
<shakesoda_> - seeking requests: check

pretty much this.

Granted, StepMania Share would need to be messed with to provide everything needed in the simfile db, but that's possible.
Quote:
sounds great! all these years have passed, and I never once poked through the site. for how long has a faction of the community resided there?
dAnceguy117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:42 PM   #177
midimanXG
FFR Player

Quote:
Well no, it currently stands at three major sites that rejected me. I'm glad this fourth one accepted me, and I hope this site can be created.
thats a shame because using stepmania.com as a hub and server would make mountains of sense
Old 04-29-2011, 04:43 PM   #178
shakesoda
FFR Player

Quote:
sounds great! all these years have passed, and I never once poked through the site. for how long has a faction of the community resided there?
since 2005 or 2006 I believe.
shakesoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:47 PM   #179
Jousway
FFR Player

Quote:
people at SSC wonder who these 3 major sites are that rejected you and the 4th one that accepted you.

Old 04-29-2011, 06:11 PM   #180
ddrxero64
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jousway View Post
people at SSC wonder who these 3 major sites are that rejected you and the 4th one that accepted you.
I've yet to say them for a reason. Of course, now I have no proof to back up my statement, and me asking you to accept it would be based purely on faith. I have my reasons for not including them, whether one believes it or not. I do it to protect the anonymity of the sites, because there is no doubt in my mind the minute I post it people will flock over there and say something. It happens with everything, even the QED post on the Anime Boston forum. I posted there, and so did the other person (I forget, the one that was high). So there's no way I can post it here (for now) and expect people to not try to sneak their two cents in.

But mind you, I just said SM.com was one of them.

Quote:
thats a shame because using stepmania.com as a hub and server would make mountains of sense
As I said, ignoring posts and PM's doesn't look too promising as a site to collaborate with. And whether Jousway is correct or not, thinking I could be banned at their site for one "stupid" post is disconcerning. Not to mention this contradicts the idea that trolls and elitism can never be stopped, only contained. I personally think SM.com would be great for some things, but if the community there never became popular there must be a reason. That, I don't know, and I actually don't expect anyone to come with a foolproof theory. But the fact remains that the psychological impact of a new community itself would be better. It symbolizes that the community is starting anew, which is why I've yet to push SMO into everyone's face. I try my best to administrate it, and I think the community there is pretty good. We welcome new people, help out confused people, frown upon unsupported criticism (as in nothing backing up a negative comment, it's just there), disallow elitism, etc. Even through all of this, I would never suggest it for a new community.

Because a new community is just that, a new community.

I would suggest anyone who is fairly unknown or has never moderated to help run it. Am I an idiot for saying that? Look at me. I didn't even know what forum was when I became a regular member of SMO in Nov. 2009. I became a moderator (of SMO.eu) 2 months after SMO.com shut down. Because I knew nothing and no one, there was no influence in the decisions I made. I literally knew NOTHING.

Last edited by ddrxero64; 04-29-2011 at 06:14 PM..