Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Critical Thinking
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2005, 11:51 AM   #41
msbrunnettemickey
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to msbrunnettemickey Send a message via MSN to msbrunnettemickey

Says the one with 69 posts, that gets 5 hours of sleep every day. XD

WHAT?
If you know me, i can sleep at 6 in the afternoon, and wake up at... 5:30 in the morning.

But i usually go to sleep at 9:30, since i got morning classes. O.o

בקצה השמיים, ובסוף המדבר, יש מקום רחוק מלא פרחי בר
מקום קטן, עלוב ומשוגע, מקום רחוק מקום לדאגה
יש אומרים שם שמשיקרה וחושבים אל כל מה שקרה
אלוהים שם יושב ורואה ושומר אל כל משברא
אסור לקטוף את פרחי הגן
אסור לקטוף את פרחי הגן
ודואג ודואג נורא
msbrunnettemickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 12:02 PM   #42
LegendaryDJ
FFR Player

[quote]I function normally day to day with 5 hours sleep. There's a name for it but I forgot what it was. =\

But for normal people, just go to bed earlier and deal with it.

It's is called Insomnia or something close to that if you were still wondering......
LegendaryDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 12:04 PM   #43
Tank101
I V vi iii IV I IV V
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to Tank101

C'mon people, have some sense, some people can sleep more or less than others.

I have a friend who literally gets about 5 hours of sleep in 3 days.
He's never tired.
Tank101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 12:15 PM   #44
msbrunnettemickey
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to msbrunnettemickey Send a message via MSN to msbrunnettemickey

We know tank...

But some people use things to keep them awake throughout the night, or through the day, if they don't get any sleep.

Adults! I see my mom drink 5 cups of coffee in the morning, and at night.
I only see my dad drink in the evening... but still, he also has to stay up.
Yes, even I.

But caffeine is a drug. You get addicted to it.
My mom's drug of choice. XD

I remember someone telling me that from the age 12-22 or so... Teens-Young adults, have energy at night, and don't get tired at night time.
That could be a reason why so many teenagers get 5-8 hours of sleep.

אסור לקטוף את פרחי הגן
אסור לקטוף את פרחי הגן
ודואג ודואג נורא
Old 05-25-2005, 12:18 PM   #45
Saturos
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendaryDJ
I function normally day to day with 5 hours sleep. There's a name for it but I forgot what it was. =\

But for normal people, just go to bed earlier and deal with it.

It's is called Insomnia or something close to that if you were still wondering......
It's not insomnia. Insomnia is when you can't fall to sleep without help. I fall asleep fine.

And what does my post count have to do with anything? I've been trolling these forums since '03, I just decided recently to actually start posting. ;x

Post count doesn't account for anything, anyways. It's just a number that encourages some people to spam. =\
Saturos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 12:39 PM   #46
msbrunnettemickey
FFR Player

Saturos it was a joke, now please don't change the topic.

אסור לקטוף את פרחי הגן
אסור לקטוף את פרחי הגן
ודואג ודואג נורא
Old 05-25-2005, 04:12 PM   #47
suicidalmuskrat
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to suicidalmuskrat Send a message via MSN to suicidalmuskrat Send a message via Yahoo to suicidalmuskrat

Yeah, but that joke was directed at him, and wasn't funny, and was still meant to demean, even if you phrased it as a "joke". I hate when people do that too, and then say "well it was just a joke." when it wasn't really. Oh, and Saturos, don't expect too many people to agree with you on the post count thing...However, I do agree with you.

Anyways, during highschool I slept for usually 14 hours on the weekends. And that was getting about 7 hours of sleep each night during the week. I would've needed at least 12 hours a night to feel fully rested. As tank said, it's person to person.
Old 05-25-2005, 05:40 PM   #48
msbrunnettemickey
FFR Player

It's not meant to be funny.

Anyways back to the topic..

Contemporary research, though, indicates that all the discipline and time-management in the world will not overcome teen biology. Studies consistently show that older teenagers' sleep clocks are set so they fall asleep later and wake later. Most high schools, however, start before 8 a.m., the worst time to find an alert teen.

Even with such consistent research findings, few school districts are pushing up high school start times. School officials cite complications with transportation and sports schedules, and concerns about younger students going to school too early.

I guess there are both sides... =\

אסור לקטוף את פרחי הגן
אסור לקטוף את פרחי הגן
ודואג ודואג נורא
Old 05-26-2005, 12:25 AM   #49
suicidalmuskrat
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to suicidalmuskrat Send a message via MSN to suicidalmuskrat Send a message via Yahoo to suicidalmuskrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbrunnettemickey
Saturos it was a joke, now please don't change the topic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by msbrunnettemickey
It's not meant to be funny.
yeah, good joke. The kind that wasn't meant to be funny. Ya retard. Now stay out of CT.
Old 05-26-2005, 03:11 AM   #50
Tank101
I V vi iii IV I IV V
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to Tank101

Screw the "joke".

Mickey has shown lot's of good points, and it's obvious that she's done her research.
Tank101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 03:41 AM   #51
msbrunnettemickey
FFR Player

I was planning on what to post as a new topic in this forum, and here i had the idea of what i always fought for... To change school schedule.

I just hate it when people try to prove me wrong =D

Well, i did bring up this post because i wanted it to continue, but i see that when i ask to not change the subject on some stupid phrase i made, you continue it. Suicidalmuskrat, i see you are trying to prove that i'm retarded because i put out an old phrase?

Please i don't want this to be locked because of just some stupid line. I would be very sad if this would be locked, so please let's all go back to topic.

Back to the topic, i found some more information from that doctor that works for national sleep foundation...

Mary Carskadon, PhD, a renowned expert on adolescent sleep, cites several advantages for teens to get the sleep they need:

less likelihood of experiencing depressed moods;
reduced likelihood for tardiness;
reduced absenteeism;
better grades;
reduced risk of fall asleep car crashes; and
reduced risk of metabolic and nutritional deficits associated with insufficient sleep, including obesity.

אסור לקטוף את פרחי הגן
אסור לקטוף את פרחי הגן
ודואג ודואג נורא
Old 05-27-2005, 05:33 PM   #52
Mindfields
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Mindfields Send a message via Yahoo to Mindfields

This issue was raised in our School District. Mainly, they did it to save money (instead of a whole crapload of buses going through all the routes once, one bus can do three routes, a route for elementary, a route for middle school, and a route for high school.) Unfortuneatley (sp), my school is classified as an Elementary school because the Dagget Montessori system is Kindergarten through 8th grade. So next year I have to get to school 30 minutes earlier. :<
Mindfields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 06:26 PM   #53
Specialsock
FFR Player

I find this funny, in 8th grade I could get up at 4:45 AM every morning fine even though I didn't have to be up till 6:00, Went to bed at 11:00 PM as well.... Flash foward to 10th grade. I don't feel tired till 2am or until my body just crashes physically and i drop to the floor (It's happened, usualy a friday night--might be the partying :P) And i have trouble getting up at 7:30 AM. I still go to bed when I have the uge to like I used to, I can't froce myslf but it feels wrong trying to get myself up nowadays while back then I was up without the alarm at 4:45 AM... why--Chemicals in the brain like Mickey said most likely. As a small sidenote, I live in the state where the research was condcted, Rhode Island. i actually saw alot of notifications and pamphlets for this in my H.S. like a year ago or so actually now that I think about it
Old 05-28-2005, 12:30 AM   #54
Spyk
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Spyk Send a message via MSN to Spyk

I thank god it's now summer, and I don't have to go to school, but I adapted to a different schedule pretty well. Albeit, it was going to sleep at three, when I got home, and awakening at whatever(usually eight) at night, but it was still a pretty easy adaption for me. I pretty much got all my sleep in class, up until half way through this year. We have to go to school at 8:10(that's when we have to be there, anyway) and we get out at 2:45. My grades are all failing, and all below thirty, and it's only because I got a massive score on one of the standardized tests, that was the highest in the grade, that I got to pass. I now have to go to summer school starting this Tuesday. But that's really beside the point. My sleep schedule was always rather different, and now it roughly resembles that of a vampire(the coming of summer has me going to sleep at dawn and sleeping anywhere from fourteen to sixteen hours a day), and it shall remain that way as long as I have any say to it. I think that the time school begins should be pushed forward, and the time school is dismissed should be extended by an hour after what it would be anyway. Most high schools don't include some sort of "study hall" like they used to, and it's reflected in most student's grades. I think we need time where we can receive guided help from teachers, rather than reference textbooks(that are usually rather vague and of little to no help), so that we could improve our grades, and more easily and effectively learn.

The government continues to push the time required for certain subjects up, but not the mandatory time school has to be in session(I think there's one...), thus eliminating the time in between class to get books, materials, traverse the halls, etc., which increases the tardy rates, and, again, eliminates time to ask teachers for help. It eliminates time for electives, and enrichments, so that we can be smarter, even if it leaves us far worse off. Some schools have gym once a week, and mine has it once a day, for forty five minutes, for a single nine week period. It is, although required, only for a quarter of the school year, depending on when they could fit you in. Every year, I also see younger people learning older things. It really makes me sad when children ask me, or my friends, what a square root is, when they still have recess.

Problems scheduling buses and such aren't a real matter in this, because what's beneficial for students is the main concern. The very purpose of school is to efficiently educate students, and by impeding our ability to learn, even for bus schedules, is a contradiction to the purpose, and completely asinine. If you honestly want my opinion, I think the whole damned thing needs a major overhaul. I really think it's time to be adding a couple grades.
Spyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 12:59 AM   #55
suicidalmuskrat
FFR Player

Younger kids with less recess? I don't agree, but ya made some good points. I've always been a fan of summer camps, etc, with a strong influence on learning, kind of like a mixture between summer school and summer camp. Where it's pretty much all day recess, infused with lessons. Say you take a hike, and you see some beautiful flowers. You take one, bring it back, and figure out which flower it was. Or you see a snake, and try to figure out what phylum, kingdom, etc it belonged to. I know personally, one of the reasons I feel I have a fairly well-rounded, and above-average education, is not because of the rigorous private schools I've been to my whole life, but rather to the summers I spent with my older (and bonafide genius) brothers...This was pretty much just me throwing ideas up, of what I'd view as an optimal alternative to conventional schooling.

I disagree with what you say on extending the school day, but as I said before, I went to a private highschool, with only 280 kids 9-12, so getting help from a teacher before or after school was never an issue.

Your second paragraph left me fairly confused, as you seemed to be contradicting yourself, but I am tired, so I'll just re-read tomorrow.

Your third paragraph is obviously wrong. What's beneficial for the students is obviously not the main concern. If that were true, and cost weren't an issue (which you're implying by saying running 3 times as many busses shouldn't be an issue), then school could be based around an individual student. Each one could have it's private tutor, could go to school whenever they wanted, and could learn from a personalized lesson plan. Hopefully you see my point. The main concern is giving the students the best possible education within the budget. Most tax-paying citizens would not be happy to see an increase because John Smith was too lazy to get up 20 minutes earlier.
Old 05-28-2005, 01:23 AM   #56
Spyk
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Spyk Send a message via MSN to Spyk

I said Bus schedule, meaning the times that they ran. Running three times as many busses is an issue, for sure. But how does the word schedule, generally accepted as times, imply that? The busses could have the same type of route and such, but all happen an hour later, couldn't it? Or do the gas prizes and wages jump every hour, then reset at midnight? Idealistically, even with a tight budget, school is concerned about the education of the student. That's the whole reason school is government mandated; it's a place for education, which has become integral in our society which no longer thrives from purely, or a majority of, physical labor. And, if you haven't already read, it's been stated several times in this thread that we're genetically programmed to sleep like that, not that we're genetically programmed to sleep however, but sleep like that if we're lazy.

I meant I hate the idea of fifth graders learning square roots, and see it often. Not that they shouldb't have recesses(although I now see how poorly I worded that statement). Actually, I think recesses should be longer and more frequent, since we're quickly becoming a fat nation. It's the same reason I said something about gym classes. We need to instill healthy physical habits in our children, since healthy eating is almost impossible to accomplish in America.

Could you tell me how you saw my second paragraph as contradictory? I re-read it and can't seem to find it, myself.
Spyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 10:40 AM   #57
suicidalmuskrat
FFR Player

I re-read it and didn't find it contradictory either...Guess I was just tired. But pushing all schedules back an hour would mean that most Kindergarten, or middles school kids wouldn't be starting until 9:30 or 10, if we kept the same number of busses. And you can read in the prior posts, the highschools start earliest, then the middle schools, then the elementary schools. Perhaps a more logical solution would be for the highschools and middleschools simply to switch. I know when I was in middle-school I'd wake up at 7, and be the first one to school, before the principal on some days, so that I could have a nice long recess with all my other friends who got there early before school. So I think if the schedules for middle-school and highschool were swapped, then we would be able to solve some of those issues, while keeping bussing and such pretty much the same.
Old 05-30-2005, 08:02 PM   #58
BemaniFreak488
FFR Player

As much as I hate getting up at 7 to go to school at 8 I really think it's better then going at something like 9 or 10 and getting out at 4 or 5. I like having that time after school to work on homework (haha yeah right) or to go out and do stuff. I've really gotten used to waking up early and the only reason I'm ever tired in the morning is my own fault because I stayed up too late.
BemaniFreak488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 11:01 AM   #59
Specialsock
FFR Player

wow that seems like a direct contradiction to myself as I can rarley go to bed before 11 and never wake up refreshed before noon, hell I'd settle for 8:45 though
Old 05-31-2005, 07:35 PM   #60
BemaniFreak488
FFR Player

Well, I agree, most teenagers like to stay up late, thus are really tired when they have to wake up at 6:30 or 7. But after a while you know you're going to have to get up that early, whether you like it or not, so we're kind of stuck in the middle. We like to stay up yet we have to wake up early, if one of those were changed it would make a slight difference but nothing incredibly noticible.

On another note, if school got in later most teenagers would end up staying up later then before therefore ruining the whole concept of late arrival. So either way you look at it we just have to adjust accordingly or else we'll be tired all the time.
BemaniFreak488 is offline   Reply With Quote