Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Other Music Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-5-2004, 08:00 PM   #1
dAnceguy117
new hand moves = dab
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default HOW TO DO CROSSOVERS

I already posted it on Sudden2's boards and I'm going to post it here because people need to know this. Sticky please.

------------------------------------------------

Okay, I've heard from enough people, "I do my crossovers differently, so THERE". Yes, you can do the crossover patterns differently, but you're not doing crossovers. So there.

Let's start with one of the basic crossover patterns. For anyone who doesn't know, the numbers correspond to the arrows on the numpad.

You'll see this pattern in a lot of eigth streams in DDR songs. The pattern is 42624. Here's how you do it:

-use your left foot to hit 4
-use your right foot to hit 2
-cross over (that's why it's called a crossover =B) and use your left foot to hit 6
-use your right foot to hit 2
-use your left foot to hit 4

That is, when you cross over, you turn to your right, or clockwise, or whatever you want to call it.

For the 62426 pattern, do the opposite.

Now, for the 48684 pattern,

-left foot to hit 4
-right foot to hit 8
-left foot to hit 6
-right foot to hit 8
-left foot to hit 4

And opposite for 68486.

These patterns are going to come at you in many different ways. You may have to crossover because you find a 482426 pattern. You may have to do crossovers on gallops (AHEM, RYTHM AND POLICE).

Whatever the case, this is how you want to do them. It looks less retarded, it feels like it flows more when you don't have to hit two different arrows in a row with the same foot, and it makes doing these patterns during fast streams a lot easier. You're probably never going to pass Paranoia Survivor Max Oni without learning this technique. Also, this technique is the root of learning how to do double. You're going to need to do all kinds of crazy turns to pass the harder songs on double.

If you're going to make a pad sim, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make them only contain normal patterns, crossovers, perhaps a few stomps (the same arrow twice or more in a row), and maybe some spins (a more advanced technique, often used for freestyling), but never too fast. Patterns like 42846 just look retarded. Spins are also something to try to avoid using in excess, like alcohol.

In fact, if you're going to make a keyboard sim, please abide by these restrictions, too. This way the people that play with their indexes will have a fair chance. And nobody likes a 4-finger biased sim. Just like how they don't like your 4-finger biased grandmother. Just as an example.

So remember how to do crossovers, and you're on your way to becoming less of a n00b and looking less retarded when you play Rythm and Police. Happy crossovering, and remember, if you can't do them at first, don't give up. You may have to practice a lot, even on easier songs; but it in the long run, it will be worth it. Thank you for your time.

------------------------------------------------

Yes, I know it's long, but you people need to read it. And like I said, for the good of the community, please sticky.
dAnceguy117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-5-2004, 08:03 PM   #2
Tank101
I V vi iii IV I IV V
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to Tank101
Default RE: HOW TO DO CROSSOVERS

It would help to explain what 62426 and so on mean to people that don't know. Otherwise good work.
Tank101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-5-2004, 11:12 PM   #3
Velious
FFR Player

Default RE: HOW TO DO CROSSOVERS

Numpad keys
Quote:
Originally Posted by W1nd0wsXP
Can anyone tell me where to find Quasasr..... I'm kinda and trying to find that song Help would be appreciated!
Velious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-6-2004, 01:58 PM   #4
GregHead
FFR Simfile Author
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via MSN to GregHead

Yeah, well anyone who understands what numbers mean probably already know how to do crossovers.

And if they don't, they should play Lesson Mode on any DDR home version.

And on that note, I'm going to finish that on Extreme and see if it unlocks that last song that no one can get.
Old 12-6-2004, 05:45 PM   #5
dAnceguy117
new hand moves = dab

Unfortunately, none of the home version games explain crossovers in the lesson modes. In fact, they hardly touch on anything! The main point lesson mode tries to make is not to return to the center of the pad, and that's basically all it says. The third section, or whatever it's called, just explains that 8ths are faster than quarters. KoA should have done a lot more with its lesson modes.

And I said at the beginning of my first post what the numbers meant. But even if I didn't, you'd be surprised how many people that know what the numbers mean don't know how to do crossovers. Too many people teach themselves to play DDR, and unfortunately, I was one of them.

I actually had to think up how to do crossovers myself. I saw some people doing stuff like Afronova standard (actually, trick) and tried to do crossovers on the last part. They failed miserably, but for some reason it stuck in my head. Around when I beat Max300 for the first time, this came to mind. I realized I could use it all the time. I also realized I could use the technique for other types of patterns. I know that sounds self-explanatory, but I'm a little slow.

But anyway, where I'm trying to go with this is, you're probably not going to know how to do crossovers if you teach yourself how to play. If you don't know how to do them and you do stuff online, you're going to bug the crap out of someone like me. I can't stand it when people say they made a pad sim and put in MJEmerzian patterns, ugh.

And by the way, I'm pretty sure lesson mode doesn't unlock anything, but I could be wrong.
Old 12-6-2004, 06:05 PM   #6
Tank101
I V vi iii IV I IV V
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to Tank101

What about hard stuff like 42682?

Those are almost impossible unless you're set up perfectly.

The only way to do them is to change your position so that your left foot is on down and your right foot in on right. You can figure it out from there.
Tank101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 06:42 PM   #7
morbidsouls420
FFR Player

Default Re: HOW TO DO CROSSOVERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank101
What about hard stuff like 42682?

Those are almost impossible unless you're set up perfectly.

The only way to do them is to change your position so that your left foot is on down and your right foot in on right. You can figure it out from there.

i actually like 42682 the best... i dont really consider it a crossover.... but i treat it as a spin
for example
4 left
2 right
6 left *facing trick bar or crowd
8 right facing screen again
2 left just going back a step
morbidsouls420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 05:57 PM   #8
Haru0ro
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Haru0ro

Lol crossovers are fun..it makes it look like your doing a little hip hop dance...but it wastes energy its better not to
Haru0ro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-6-2004, 06:18 PM   #9
Snapps
NO DOUBT GET LOUD
FFR Simfile Author

Or hit 4 with your right foot and go from there.
Snapps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-6-2004, 06:24 PM   #10
hEaLiNgViSiOnAnGeLicMiX
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to hEaLiNgViSiOnAnGeLicMiX

An attempt to gain respect on the forums I'm guessing? Doesn't matter, it's a good one at that.

I honestly think that the DDR section of the forums is the LEAST moderated section of the boards. There needs to be atleast 1 or 2 stickies in here, regarding techniques and especially HOME VERSIONS... the amount of n00b threads that are posted almost DAILY is ridiculous. Everytime I walk in here... I see a thread about "OMGZ WUT IS T3H LIEK BEST CONSOLE VERSION?!" "OMGZ I'M A N00B WHICH SHULD I BUY?!" It's retarded. It clogs up the boards. It lowers the quality of the forums. And it needs to STOP.

So yeah...that was my huge long rant that I've been wanting to get out for a while. The DDR Section is honestly one of my favorite sections of the boards, and I don't want to see it go down the gutter. This is a good thread, seriously it is, I suggest that it be stickied...why is there not a SINGLE stickie in here?!
hEaLiNgViSiOnAnGeLicMiX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-6-2004, 06:30 PM   #11
Tasselfoot
Retired BOSS
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Tasselfoot Send a message via MSN to Tasselfoot Send a message via Skype™ to Tasselfoot

HVAM... make a compilation of the home versions, etc. put it all into one post... and i'll sticky it.
Old 12-6-2004, 11:06 PM   #12
Nima
FFR Player

what snapps said is very important... because on patterns such as:
42684 if you begin with left on 4 you can't do that pattern without double stepping/turning which can screw you up... now think about it, if you being with right on 4 and precede in that manner you will never have to doublestep or anything.
Old 12-7-2004, 12:11 AM   #13
GregHead
FFR Simfile Author
FFR Simfile Author

I do my spins in a really unorthodox and bad way (this method sucks for songs over like 170 BPM half beats)

4 with my left
2 with my right
6 with my left (ie basic crossover)
8 with my left
4 with my left

So I'm basically hitting 3 panels with the same foot. I find this to be the most confortable method, but like I said it doesn't work so hot with fast songs. Note: on slow songs I actually spin, but this method os for songs where it's too fast to spin for me, ie Max 300 standard has this part... nevermind :P
Old 12-7-2004, 12:15 AM   #14
GregHead
FFR Simfile Author
FFR Simfile Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by dAnceguy117
Unfortunately, none of the home version games explain crossovers in the lesson modes. In fact, they hardly touch on anything!
Dang, I thought I remembered them talking about corssovers. But yeah, I agree that the lesson mode sucks either way. I played it all on Max 2 just to see if there's any good stuff, but it's too slow and they keep playing that same song, and you have to watch every lesson once and then do it twice and ARRRGH!

Here's what they should do: scrap lesson mode, and show animations of crossovers in Beginner mode (instead of showing the helpers standing in the middle of the pad... why did they do that? Did they want players to learn bad form?)
Old 05-19-2006, 06:01 AM   #15
SoggyWaffulz
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregHead
Dang, I thought I remembered them talking about corssovers.
Me too. I'm sure they mentioned something on max or max2 about that whole rotating your body thing.

Oh yeah and changing your foot position is easier. 426242624 combos are easy with

left on 4
left and right on 2 depending on which way your going
right on 6

So if its a left arrow, left foot on 4 and right foot on 2, and right arrow would be opposite.

Last edited by SoggyWaffulz; 05-19-2006 at 06:04 AM..
SoggyWaffulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-7-2004, 03:13 PM   #16
dAnceguy117
new hand moves = dab

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregHead
Here's what they should do: scrap lesson mode, and show animations of crossovers in Beginner mode (instead of showing the helpers standing in the middle of the pad... why did they do that? Did they want players to learn bad form?)
Now THAT is a good idea. The current lesson modes are terrible, either improve on them or take them out. You're not going to find any crossovers worth doing on beginner, though.

Snapps is definitely right. The best way to do a spin, like a 42684, is 4 with right, 2 with left, 6 with right, 8 with left, 4 with right. There are often times where this is just about impossible, but there are other times where you're set up perfectly to do it. The song I've seen this most in is Break Down, but there are many others.

As for the general idea of stickies, I totally agree with HVAM that there needs to be some (or one) about home versions. An uncluttered forum is a happy forum. I think there should be more than one, though, because you need at least one on the Japanese versions, too.

Even though the home version stickie(s) are more important, if you're going to make technique stickies, you will probably need more. There's a lot of crossover-type stuff you need to learn to do well. Then again, with that many patterns, you kind of need to improvise, so maybe not.
Old 12-7-2004, 09:37 PM   #17
Chromer
Hookers and Blow
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Chromer Send a message via Yahoo to Chromer

Lets first namew all the songs that utilize the crossover so we can all help evryone out.

AM-3P
CSFIL Speed Mix
Rhythm and Police
So Deep(Perfect Sphere Remix)
Tsugaru
Irresistiblement
Sync(For Extreme) I not really sure about this one.
V(For Extreme)

Someone help me out. I can't think of anymore at the moment.
Old 12-8-2004, 07:21 AM   #18
deposition
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to deposition

Almost all songs on heavy have a crossover or two.. but songs like the ones you listed and PSMO just have a lot more.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:58 PM   #19
astroman129
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to astroman129

Quote:
Originally Posted by deposition View Post
Almost all songs on heavy have a crossover or two.. but songs like the ones you listed and PSMO just have a lot more.
I realized that if you play some really basic songs such as Remember You on Heavy mode, there are not as many crossovers as you think
astroman129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-8-2004, 05:11 PM   #20
dAnceguy117
new hand moves = dab

Sync has a lot of crossovers in it. Sync, V, and Rythm and Police probably have the most, or at least out of the nine footers. Sync is confusing because there are crossovers before a single gallop, on the single gallops, and sometimes you end a small stream of 8ths with a crossover, and have to stay in that position for the next part. You just have to be able to read it and you have to be able to tell when to do crossovers.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't remember any crossovers in So Deep. Just lots of gallops and stuff.