Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Life and Arts > Writing and Literature
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2008, 04:15 PM   #1
Zythus
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Default "Another World" -Z//

So my friend sent me some wallpapers to use for my Ipod Touch, it was a big pack of 200 pictures or more. One of them really intrigued me and resembled my reverie of a poem I wrote a while ago. Out of personal interest, I felt a bit motivated to write something, not a poem, a story. A story with allegorical value that I've put my thoughts in.

Anyhow, I'm not the greatest writer, but I make do with what I can.
This story is nowhere near finished, this is merely the overture, but I hope you enjoy it. Suggestions and comments are welcomed. I shall be updating periodically.

Another World

The transient twilight embraced her warmly as she opened her eyes. In the distance, the final scarlet of dusk descended into refuge from the night, vivid reflections rippling in the placid water. Sitting up, the girl gazed up at the glowing sky at the colossus towering over her little world, a reality she knew since the beginning of time. It was like any other instance she regarded the celestial being, a medley of green and grey complemented by rings of broken asunder. Its moons seem to diminish themselves in its realm.

Walking along the bank of the lake, she took mild interest in the activities of a group of doe, scampering timidly in the safety of the undergrowth, her face remained inscrutable during the whole affair. Closing her eyes, she continued to tread aimlessly, the grandeur of trees and aroma of flowering bushes environed her entrance into the tranquil forest. The crunching of leaves and twigs announced the arrival of a mighty creature, squirrels scurried up the magnificent oaks that provided a shadowy haven in the glare of the sun, and with a flutter, the occupation of birds proved absent as well. The girl did not feel their fear even though perceived of their distress and anxiety to flee. She walked undauntedly at a passive tempo, the thunderous clamor of her steps continued the calamity of the forest.

It was some time before she released herself from the darkness, her eyes slowly adjusting to the luminosity illuminating her nonexistent path. Moonbeams shot brilliant rays, casting a majestic halo of shimmering luminescence that enveloped the dim forest in a soft glow. A way ahead was a circular clearing, employed by a lone inhabitant. Its roots coiled into waves that dug deep into the earth in its odyssey for water. The massive trunk was furrowed with age, blemished with countless scars from nature's fury.

The girl sat down comfortably in an alcove of roots that formed a timeless throne, a gentle breeze rolled by, carrying the fragrance of midnight blue. Overhead, moonlight peered from behind the swaying leaves, a kaleidoscope of dancing radiance showered the lawn with transient sparkles. With an open hand, she cradled the celestial being in the distant sky, her eyes affixed to ponder at the sublimity. Coolness rushed down her spine as she realized the speck of herself as the viewer, all the while musing over the simplicity of touching the planet. Like always, she mooted over the inhabitants of the faraway world, fantasizing excitedly about the different animals and objects she might encounter, the exotic noises she might hear, or the new scents she might smell. For, as the only human in her forsaken world, reveries beguile much of her time. She leaned back, somnolent yet again, her eyes flicker with drowsiness. As thoughts melt away, the melody of the wind in cue with the crickets’ whistles lulled the intrepid creature to slumber, whispers dying away to nothingness.

Stretching, she greeted the daybreak. It was a faintly cloudy day with moderate winds. The sun, struggling to gain dominance, was subdued grudgingly behind a façade of clouds. Triumphantly, rays pierced through the translucence, a shining quasar in its angelic regime elucidating the somber sky. The forest bustled with activity in the morning turnover, silhouettes and darting shadows scrambled out of sight as the creature proceeded further through her pathless trail. From the assurance of bushes, weary eyes took furtive glances at the intruder before stealing away into the canopy. From the corner of her view, she caught a glimpse of a charming red, tucked secretively behind a tier of trees. The team of wild ponies snorted, evidently unimpressed from the disturbance of a morning meal, reluctantly accelerated and galloped away. The apples provided a fresh enticing smell that allured its hungry fans, but the girl was present at the feast out of intriguing curiosity. She does not eat. There is not a need to do so to survive. Clutching one, she plucked it off the branch with gleaming eyes, fascinated by the obtuse shape and waxy texture. Never had she seen such an object in her endless journey of vagrancy across her deserted world. The transition between landscapes she traveled differentiates greatly from one another, saturated with much arcanum to enlighten her as she passed.

Impalpably, the brilliant red shimmered, a gradient fade, slowly draining luster to opalescence. With silent expectance, the girl watched inscrutably as the final slivers of white evanesced into nothingness. The apple slowly vanished, tiny orbs of glistening light tailing, the final flares of an extinguished existence. The intuitive forest tacitly environed the murderer in silence, mourning a soundless lament. Her world was a mockery of bliss and solace, a mirage of nothing, consisting of nothing. Unknowing of permanency, she regarded the nothingness to be just another one of life’s blatant characteristics. Despite being a denizen of an empty world, she was not in any way barbaric but very intelligent and learning of the constant revelation of new things around her. Nothingness was not the least bit surprising, as she had learned eons ago.

The oaks proved indeed to be the most accommodating as the girl marched through the foliage under the flagrant face of the afternoon sun. The heat tided like blazing waves that purged the air, patches of dried up mosses reeked of an incinerated and musty smell. Even without the fervor glare of the sun, it was nevertheless an arduous task walking through the forest. Eventually, even the most enduring accepted defeat. The girl sat down, panting from hours of undertaking, on a fallen log. Wiping her forehead of perspiration, her eyes drifted upon the vast azure ocean.

“Water.”

She pointed absently to the sky, reaching for the refreshment. Entranced in her daze, she stayed in the position for a few seconds. A young sparrow perched adorably on her outstretched hands. Returning to consciousness, she smiled sheepishly at herself and watched the bird. It stood valiantly on her hand, looking for food and ready to flee at seconds notice. Its eyes speculated its holder, an immobile giant staring attentively. Chirping in disappointment after a fruitless inquisition, unfolded wings, it took flight, disappearing over the treetops. She had tried long ago to mimic the swiftness of flapping wings, which she discovered, was just futile gesticulation of her arms. It had hurt for hours after the attempt and it was in her best interest to never try again. Nevertheless, she admired longingly at the experience of flight, hoping to someday and somehow, achieve such a feat.

Having some rest, her immediate thirst was quenched enough to continue on her journey. A slight breeze picked up, giving some much needed encouragement. She stopped after a few strides. The wind carried a distinctive scent, a suffocating and flaring smell that caused the girl to cough and sneeze. Her eyes became watery and painful. Reminiscently, she knew the answer.

“Fire.”

She stammered as she continued to cough, her eyes was beginning to blur. From the corners, she saw once again the charming red, creeping up her vision. The smoke engulfed the area, she was too intoxicated to escape the inevitable death. She collapsed to her knees, choking from the poisonous fumes. The concentration was lower here near the forest floor but the toxic had already progressed deep into her lungs. Her vision dimmed to a sepia grey, the red outlines hazing to an enveloping gloom. Her mind of impotence silently pleaded salvation. She felt the touch of warmth and lost consciousness, the ephemeral sepia shattered into the darkness of oblivion.

Yuji flustered with the seatbelt. The flames were lapping dangerously close to the fuel tank, having consumed most of the aircraft’s tail. A heavy smell of burnt paint and the density of smoke made him gag. Ripping the belt off, he bolted out of the outdoor cockpit. Lowering his goggles and headset, he turned to lament the carcass of his plane. At once he found this to be a bad idea staying stationary, with smoke heavily polluting the vicinity of the small clearing. With a sigh, he proceeded, running. through the leafage of the forest. Just moments ago was he still gliding in the jet-stream above the atmosphere, surrounded by the astounding view of celestial beings before being swiftly assailed by sharp javelins of everfrozen ice. He had heard countless tales of woe of sailors who perished in the heavy impaling of the maelstrom. Few ever made it to the Promised Land, they were considered legends. Deep inside, he felt somewhat relieved to be standing on solid ground, regardless of being stranded in a foreign world. After some rapid speculation, he concluded this was one of the uninhabited moons of Seeker. He rolled his eyes at the realization.

“How is that going to help me?” He muttered.

He was surprised that the smoke still had not been diluted by air even after the distance he had gone, about half an hour from the crash site. It was certainly less overpowering, yet still undoubtedly fatal without a breathing apparatus. He pulled the mask of his headset tighter to ensure the air by the purifier. He caught glimpse of a large area of sky behind a file of tall scrawny bushes. Betting his luck, he hoped the unveiled sky would potentially house more oxygen than carbon monoxide.

He unsheathed his belted knife in a flash, eyes narrowed, catching the movement of a while silhouette dropping indiscriminately to the ground. His gaze turned from suspicion to horror as he saw the girl on her knees, coughing ceaselessly. Sheathing the knife, the knight dashed valiantly to be in the lady’s aid. The girl was fading into unconsciousness, her breathing was subdued and shallow. Yuji hastily displaced the purifier over the girl’s mouth. Acknowledging grimly the obscurity behind the trees, he shook away the desolate thoughts of hopelessness. Gently lifting her, he broke into a sprint into the unknown depths, carrying the shell of a waning existence.

Zythus is offline   Reply With Quote