Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Video Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2009, 05:21 PM   #1
Litodude
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Litodude
Default Heroes of Newerth (DotA look-alike?)

The first question I have for any of you is does anyone have an extra CB key for this game?

Yea, I didn't think so. Anyway:

http://www.heroesofnewerth.com/

I'm too lazy to write an extremely long review or analysis on this game because a) I haven't gotten to play it in CB yet and b) I'm lazy. In summary this game replicates DotA almost entirely and the few videos that are released out on the internet display that fact. HoN however, just looks a lot cooler.

As far as the development process of this game so far, I've heard this is moving at the speed of Starcraft II...which, if you didn't know, isn't moving that fast - if at all. Still, it's something to look forward to along with the many other games still postponed for release (I'm still waiting on Global Agenda myself :[).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTLgQbYVISA

Here's a vid

dude
out west?
the fuck kinda location is west?
am i buying weed off a gotdamn pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
remind everyone that i am an outed racist neo-nazi who no one in their right mind should ever interact with in any way whatsoever

http://imgur.com/a/Ww9g3
Litodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 05:26 PM   #2
who_cares973
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to who_cares973 Send a message via MSN to who_cares973 Send a message via Yahoo to who_cares973 Send a message via Skype™ to who_cares973
Default Re: Heroes of Newerth (DotA look-alike?)

isnt this game based on a map of a different game
Old 09-20-2009, 05:35 PM   #3
Brycexx
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to Brycexx

looks like a decent game. but im right with ya on global agenda
Old 09-20-2009, 06:21 PM   #4
Litodude
FFR Player

As you were, I just got a Beta key. Woot~

I'll post a review on it in about a week.

dude
out west?

Quote:
remind everyone that i am an outed racist neo-nazi who no one in their right mind should ever interact with in any way whatsoever

Old 09-20-2009, 06:25 PM   #5
operationstrawbarry
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to operationstrawbarry Send a message via MSN to operationstrawbarry

From what my friend said who is a very insane fan of DotA, he says the concept is the same, but the game is done under a different engine. Ya. Its suppose to be better than Dota W3 from what he said. I bet hes playing it right now.

Its blizzard. Dont expect anything fast.

Thats all I know. Im not a fan of dota, so Im not going to get it. Just relaying the message.
operationstrawbarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 12:01 AM   #6
Litodude
FFR Player

It's not blizz, fyi.

dude
out west?

Quote:

Old 09-21-2009, 01:31 AM   #7
Laharl
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Laharl Send a message via MSN to Laharl

Been in closed beta myself for about 2 months. Friends at a lan center turned me on to it. Because, if I am going to a Lan center, figured I should play what everyone else is playing or it's a waste of my time.

The game isn't just kind of like DotA. It is DotA. The differences are purely that it's much prettier and a lot of the excess broken heroes prevalent in DotA aren't in the game (yet), or have been hybridized with other existing heroes, or certain abilities have been swapped.

An example of bastard hybrid children is the completely terrible Scout. He's Bounty Hunter with Sniper's ulti and is basically a waste of a hero slot because all he can do is kill steal. The map awareness is nice but you can simply spend 200 gold every so often and rig up sentries instead.

An example of swapped abilities is the replacement for Omni-Knight (a dude named Jeraziah) and the replacement for Tidehunter (a demon guy named Kraken.) Jeraziah had everything but Omni-Knight but the slow aura and they gave him Tidehunter's Cleave/Slow passive ability instead, and they decided to revamp Kraken (who was really bad until now) by giving him Omni's Slow Aura.

The only heroes that are new to HoN that I'm aware of is Zephyr and Electrician.

Anyway:

The shop system is better than DotA because you can cleanly see what items you need to buy in order to get the upgraded item.

All in all, I prefer League of Legends simply because it's very much more original and newbie friendly.

POINTLESSLY TAKING UP BANDWIDTH SINCE THE INCEPTION OF THE INTERNET
Laharl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 03:54 PM   #8
Litodude
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laharl View Post
The differences are purely that it's much prettier and a lot of the excess broken heroes prevalent in DotA aren't in the game
You're kidding me. Almost all of the heroes I've played so far in HoN are broken as **** if you have half the skill you use in DotA coming to this game. The mimic of pudge is retarded; once hooked and dismember is activated you're pretty much dead no matter how much life you have. The Omnislash from the samurai can kill you at full health as well, wtf. And that tiny+earth shaker combination monster is just stupid with a blink dagger.

This game has some serious hero balance issues, and the item/shop menus are completely retarded in how they arrange everything. You actually have to read the FAQ so you know wtf each item does AND where to upgrade **** properly.

Oh almost forgot: When clicking on a hero or an enemy hero, why do their stats pop up on the bottom left of the screen, like the most useless place to put it? If you look down there to see heir items you lose about 10 seconds of map awareness which can totally **** you over if you don't have those wards already in place.

dude
out west?

Quote:

Old 09-21-2009, 05:56 PM   #9
Laharl
FFR Player

HoN is much more balanced that DotA, seriously.

Behemoth is good. He's not as broken as Earth Shaker was, though, especially because strength heroes in general aren't quite as good as they were in DotA. The only time he'll completely ravage an entire team is if they are stupid and clump up, and that is something the player can make sure doesn't happen. Also, Pebbles is a great character and all but hardly wrecks teams because his starting armor is atrocious so any ranged character can harass him into oblivion early game, his stun is avoidable (so it rarely hits more than 2 heroes on a good team), and his toss is exceptionally hard to control because you merely pick where something is going to land, not what is going to get tossed.

With Swiftblade, all you have to do is make sure he never catches you alone. His ulti doesn't target just one guy; he'll splash around on every hostile creature in the area. This makes him good Mid-game but only mediocre late-game. If he tries to ulti you while you're in your lane near your creeps, you'll get hit once or twice and that's it, and that's definitely survivable.

The shops are kind of convoluted, but much less so than in DotA. It's a shame they don't work it like League of Legends has it, because that's the best one for any of these types of games yet.

Every hero has a counter. I can't think of a single hero that doesn't get completely wrecked 1v1 by someone else on the other team or an item that can be built. Guy picked Bloodhunter? Build a nullstone and he can't touch you. Guy picked Behemoth? Don't clump up as a team and save your stuns for when he tries to blink into you. Guy picks literally any mana reliant hero? Go Magebane. Guy picks Magebane? Pick a guy with a lot of auto-attack damage like Arachna or Pebbles. SOmeone picks Arachna? Go Warbeast. Yadda yadda.

I can go on.

Plus, the game is hardly complete yet. They still have 15 or so heroes they are planning on adding, so some characters that seem imbalanced right now I am positive will get countered soon.

Old 10-4-2009, 04:23 PM   #10
Litodude
FFR Player

I think I've been so bored of DotA I'm actually enjoying this game now. Well it's not just that: most of my clan plays this game now too so it's more fun during the pub-stopping games. Onto the reason why I posted:

North American Ventrilo for DotA/HoN/other misc games...

chi3.ugt-servers.com : 24545

PM MFS|Dirty on vent (ps it's me roflrofl) to get a User account and the ability to switch channels.

dude
out west?

Quote:

Old 10-13-2009, 07:34 PM   #11
mkcurt
FFR Player

This game does not require too much bandwidth unlike its predeccesor - "DOTA". A lot stable too for a new game.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:39 PM   #12
Laharl
FFR Player

My only beef is that there is extremely little innovation. It's an upgrade from DOTA due to a better game engine, but that's it.

Hence why I decided to jump on the League of Legends bandwagon instead.

Old 10-14-2009, 12:24 AM   #13
ScaryArrows..
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Hm..this game looks awfully familiar. I believe I tested this in beta stage at my work several months ago. I'm not a DotA person myself, but from what I played it was actually quite enjoyable.

Edit: I could be wrong too, but the title is very familiar as well.
ScaryArrows.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-8-2009, 05:47 PM   #14
Litodude
FFR Player

this game sucks, LoL sucks, back to dota i go

dude
out west?

Quote:

Old 10-24-2010, 04:58 PM   #15
Litodude
FFR Player

****in' bump I love this game and I suggest everyone play to play if you have $30 to spare because you're going to be playing this **** all day if you're not already on an MMO or RTS.

Yea they made a lot of gameplay improvements and have constant patch updates keeping the game balanced as fuc.

dude
out west?

Quote:

Old 10-24-2010, 06:22 PM   #16
OneHandNow
Banned
FFR Veteran

Convince me to play HoN instead of DotA (which is free, mind you - considering the fact that I already have WC..)
OneHandNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 11:13 PM   #17
Litodude
FFR Player

http://forums.heroesofnewerth.com/wi...hp/DotA_vs_HoN

dude
out west?

Quote:

Old 11-16-2010, 08:06 PM   #18
Litodude
FFR Player

bump. game rocks.

dude
out west?

Quote:

Old 11-16-2010, 11:27 PM   #19
arelik
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Yea. In-game name?
arelik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 11:53 AM   #20
Litodude
FFR Player

litodude (nowway)

dude
out west?

Quote: