Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2012, 12:12 PM   #161
SCWolf
༼ ͡◉ل͜ ͡◉༽ 👌
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to SCWolf Send a message via MSN to SCWolf Send a message via Skype™ to SCWolf
Default Re: The Fitness Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavernio View Post
Weight is biology, not math.
I bet you're fat
Old 08-15-2012, 12:16 PM   #162
Wayward Vagabond
Confirmed Heartbreaker
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

ooooooooooooooooooo
Wayward Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:19 PM   #163
Reach
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to Reach Send a message via MSN to Reach

Quote:
http://blumberg.bio.uci.edu/reprints...11a-proofs.pdf
This is a fairly easy read for the complexity of the topic, and for anyone wanting to learn more about obesity, I suggest you read it. Weight is biology, not math.
Unfortunately I don't think it's going to help most people lose any weight; these factors that are implicated in weight are largely outside any one individual's control, unlike diet and excersise.
Your weight is ultimately controlled by dietary and lifestyle choices. There are genetic and environmental factors that contribute to this outcome, but the ultimate cause of obesity is a choice.

Caloric deficit diets cause weight loss 100% of the time. This is indisputable. Sure some people have hormonal imbalances that make eating at a deficit or determining their deficit more complicated, but if the diet is restricted sufficiently, weight loss is inevitable.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:22 PM   #164
Poison-
Nope
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach View Post
Your weight is ultimately controlled by dietary and lifestyle choices. There are genetic and environmental factors that contribute to this outcome, but the ultimate cause of obesity is a choice.

Caloric deficit diets cause weight loss 100% of the time. This is indisputable. Sure some people have hormonal imbalances that make eating at a deficit or determining their deficit more complicated, but if the diet is restricted sufficiently, weight loss is inevitable.
100% correct. If you're taking in less calories than your body is burning, you're going to lose weight.

On that note, I guess I haven't been eating enough. I lost 4 pounds ?_?
I'm pissed.
Poison- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:28 PM   #165
Reach
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to Reach Send a message via MSN to Reach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poison- View Post
100% correct. If you're taking in less calories than your body is burning, you're going to lose weight.

On that note, I guess I haven't been eating enough. I lost 4 pounds ?_?
I'm pissed.
Add junk or liquid calories.

Last week was my first week back to bulking. One night I had 6 chicken kabobs, 3 8oz steaks and a cup of broccoli and carrots for supper. Another night I had 8 small chicken breasts, a banana, bowl of strawberries and a plate of rice for supper. Etc.

Lost 1 lb >_> Body fat down to 7.6%. Was absolutely stuffed though.

This week I ate the same food. Introduced some junk though. Ate some caramel icecream cones after supper for about 300 cal a piece. Weren't even the slightest bit filling. Had an extra glass of milk before bed as well.

Gained 0.64 lb!

Success 8)
Old 08-15-2012, 12:44 PM   #166
Poison-
Nope

Sounds good to me
I think I just need to generally start eating more though. Thinking back, my meals aren't really big enough to give me gains, but I never thought that I would have lost 4 pounds.

Maybe I will go get some creatine...
I should probably get a weight gainer too.

Last edited by Poison-; 08-15-2012 at 12:52 PM..
Old 08-15-2012, 12:57 PM   #167
SCWolf
༼ ͡◉ل͜ ͡◉༽ 👌
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to SCWolf Send a message via MSN to SCWolf Send a message via Skype™ to SCWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poison- View Post
Sounds good to me
I think I just need to generally start eating more though. Thinking back, my meals aren't really big enough to give me gains, but I never thought that I would have lost 4 pounds.

Maybe I will go get some creatine...
I should probably get a weight gainer too.
I take weight gainer because I have an appetite problem. Because of my hormones + medication, I literally never have an appetite. I am always force feeding myself. I feel like throwing up most of the time. Weight gainer makes it easier to get my daily calories.

For creatine, I used Purple K Kre-Alkalyn Buffered Monohydrate. I just switched to Micronized Creapure Monohydrate. Try Purple K if you would prefer taking a pill over powder.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:03 PM   #168
Senip
Forum User

^ kre-alkalyn is only really good for the pill form. I dont buy into the hype that it's "better" because it's ph balanced or whatever.

Real Gains and other gainers! If you're trying to gain weight, get a weight gainer protein, not just whey. 300-500 cals adds up. I've never had a problem eating, unfortunately, so I don't really have trouble gaining weight, just losing it.
Senip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:10 PM   #169
SCWolf
༼ ͡◉ل͜ ͡◉༽ 👌
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Nutrition facts for what I'm taking. Real nice.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:11 PM   #170
Poison-
Nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCWolf View Post
I take weight gainer because I have an appetite problem. Because of my hormones + medication, I literally never have an appetite. I am always force feeding myself. I feel like throwing up most of the time. Weight gainer makes it easier to get my daily calories.

For creatine, I used Purple K Kre-Alkalyn Buffered Monohydrate. I just switched to Micronized Creapure Monohydrate. Try Purple K if you would prefer taking a pill over powder.
Haha no way. I actually just went and bought Purple K
Old 08-15-2012, 01:12 PM   #171
Senip
Forum User

Quote:

Nutrition facts for what I'm taking. Real nice.
lol, wat. I hope you're splitting that up, christ.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:18 PM   #172
SCWolf
༼ ͡◉ل͜ ͡◉༽ 👌
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senip View Post
lol, wat. I hope you're splitting that up, christ.
I do 2 scoops twice a day hahaha. I take it with whole milk though, so it's 600 calories per shake for a total of 1200 extra calories a day. The carbs in that bitch help so much.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:21 PM   #173
Poison-
Nope

Quote:
I do 2 scoops twice a day hahaha. I take it with whole milk though, so it's 600 calories per shake for a total of 1200 extra calories a day. The carbs in that bitch help so much.
How much is that stuff bro?
Old 08-15-2012, 03:02 PM   #174
Cavernio
sunshine and rainbows
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach View Post
You didn't read the link. Trying to respond intelligently to less than 1% of what someone says is pretty funny.
Cavernio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:16 PM   #175
Senip
Forum User

Quote:
You didn't read the link. Trying to respond intelligently to less than 1% of what someone says is pretty funny.
Trying to say "I'm fat cause of other reasons other than the fact that I'm lazy/eat too ****ing much" is funny. I can find research that says doughnuts will make you lose weight. Is it true? **** no.

Once I start bulking I'll probably take some real gains, but I know that anything over 50 carbs and it goes right to fat for me. If only I was a crazy mesomorph...Although who knows, maybe when I get really cut up I'll find out that I am.. Doubtful though!
Old 08-15-2012, 03:23 PM   #176
Choofers
FFR Player
FFR Music Producer

Quote:
http://blumberg.bio.uci.edu/reprints...11a-proofs.pdf
This is a fairly easy read for the complexity of the topic, and for anyone wanting to learn more about obesity, I suggest you read it. Weight is biology, not math.
Unfortunately I don't think it's going to help most people lose any weight; these factors that are implicated in weight are largely outside any one individual's control, unlike diet and excersise.
you're fat
Old 08-15-2012, 03:43 PM   #177
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Cavernio:

from your citation:
Quote:
"Prenatal exposure to obesogens is likely to be an underestimated contributor to the
obesity epidemic. Although unhealthy food consumed in large portions together
with insufficien physical activity are likely to be among the chief substrates of
weight gain, rates of obesity have increased in infants [134], as well as children
and adults. This suggests that obesity is being programmed prenatally or in
early childhood."

What are obesogens? From earlier in your citation:

"“Obesogens” are chemical compounds that can promote obesity by increasing the
number of fat cells (and fat storage into existing fat cells), by changing the amount
of calories burned at rest, by altering energy balance to favor storage of calories,
and by altering the mechanisms through which the body regulates appetite and
satiety."

Weight loss/gain is as simple as energy in/energy out. Eating is nothing more than mass assimilation, and moving around requires energy which is drawn from that mass. Use up more energy than you're putting in, you get a net loss in mass. Assimilate more mass than you're burning off? You see a net gain in mass. It works that way for everyone. When people's bodies have serious trouble absorbing food/burning energy otherwise, they become very ill and/or die.

It's biology, yes, but math is what lets you dictate your diet parameters so you can control healthy weight loss (e.g. set your calories too low and you risk burning muscle too). Either way, it's a pretty inescapable conclusion: You operate at a deficit, you lose weight.

Genetics/external variables play a role, but I think people allocate too much blame there. The other day I actually had this discussion with one of my girlfriend's friends (who is overweight) who was telling me that she has a condition that makes her body hold onto fat for dear life, making it hard for her to lose weight (so she has this weird fiber-laden, gluten-free diet or something, don't remember). Fast forward an hour later and she's gone through an entire ream of crackers plus a slice of pizza and a Coke. Something tells me her genetics aren't her main problem, here.

Even when you think about it in evolutionary frameworks, it just makes plain sense as to why we're all getting fatter: We move less, and eat more -- especially during a small sliver of time when our bodies haven't adjusted that much from earlier times when food was harder to come by and we had to work harder for it. Nowadays it's easy to get big portions of unhealthy, nutrient-devoid crap at every corner.

Last edited by Reincarnate; 08-15-2012 at 03:54 PM..
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:12 PM   #178
Myattboy
The Lurker
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Myattboy

I started bulking 4 week ago. Started at 130lbs and currently 140lbs. 5 foot 9.
Going continue bulking up and working out for a good 6 months then start cutting.

My Appetite has never been good so i purchased some Optimum Nutrition Serious Mass.

I only take a half serving first thing in the morning and post workout.
I had the Banana one and it's enjoyable to drink!

Last edited by Myattboy; 08-15-2012 at 04:14 PM..
Myattboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:29 PM   #179
kommisar
Dark Chancellor
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music Producer

Send a message via AIM to kommisar Send a message via MSN to kommisar

11:00

Old 08-15-2012, 04:30 PM   #180
rebelrunner26
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

I can't believe I just found this thread...it's like my two favorite things to do on the internet have combined. I've been into body building/general fitness as a lifestyle for the past 3 years. I ran cross/track all through middle and high school, took a year off, and decided to put on some mass. I went from 160 lbs. to 205 lbs. from July 2010 to February 2012, keeping my bf under 10% for essentially the whole time (minus one month when working out had to be put on standby due to school/work). I'm currently trying to get back to running, which means losing weight. Ideally I'll be about 185 at 5-6% bf in October/November for a couple of races I want to do.

I've worked in a gym for 2+ years, and I am fairly in-touch with the supplement industry if anybody has any questions about that sort of thing :P

For those of you trying to lose weight...never EVER stress about the numbers, especially those on the scale. Weigh yourself once every 7-10 days at roughly the same time, wearing the same clothes, eating similarly the night before, etc. Weighing yourself every day is always just an exercise in frustration, because the body is incredibly prone to fluctuation on a daily basis (I can vary as much as 8 pounds, just from water weight/timing of meals).

One of the big things that has helped me stay lean...Every night at supper, I only eat one plate. If I'm quite hungry, I put a big more on. If I'm not so hungry, I put a bit less on. Regardless of the amount, I only ever eat one plate of food. Going back for seconds can easily turn into far more calories than originally intended.

Also, drink water. Lots of water. I started drinking at least a gallon/day 3 years ago, and I never looked back. You feel absolutely incredible.

Just keep things simple until they become routine. If you go in focused on the numbers (at least 95% of people I've worked with), you will almost always get frustrated/overwhelmed. Tweak your breakfast for a week, then change a snack, then a lunch, etc. Just a change or two every 5-7 days will make the whole process much more bearable. You can't ever think of it as a diet...you have to adopt a new lifestyle.

And if you ever have an uncontrollable craving for a cheeseburger...go have one! Cravings = your body telling you that you need something in that food (whether it be more fat, protein, whatever). Just be reasonable about it and don't go for the 4-patty stacker lol.

/general fitness rant.
rebelrunner26 is offline   Reply With Quote