Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Critical Thinking
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2003, 10:23 AM   #1
Falcon
FFR Player

Default Racism/Affirmative Action

Discuss. and dont post politically correct bullcrap that you dont believe, post what you think. no one is goin to judge you unless they are idiots.
Old 12-17-2003, 10:42 AM   #2
Destruction
FFR Player
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Location: In a white padded room, with people in white coats coming to stab me with needles again.

um alot of people judge others for their opinion(i am not one because most of my opinions are stupid anyway) and that doesnt make them idiots
Destruction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 11:01 AM   #3
Falcon
FFR Player

i hate to disagree with you, but in this forum it does. this forum is for critical thinking and the discussion of issues of importance. as in other topics that are similar to this, not in subject matter but in offensive potential, i'd like to hear the peoples real opinions without them worrying about other people being like "HOW CULD U SAYZ THAT??//?"

so, yea. thats what i meant.
Old 12-17-2003, 02:28 PM   #4
lightdarkness
Summer!!
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to lightdarkness Send a message via MSN to lightdarkness Send a message via Yahoo to lightdarkness Send a message via Skype™ to lightdarkness

Racism is bad
straight up
people try to stop it, and they devote their lives to it
but the fact is, it will never stop, only keep going
i do my part, but that isnt enough
Old 12-17-2003, 03:06 PM   #5
heyhey11
FFR Player

ok i'll admit i am a racist but not a bad one
of course i have said stereotypes about everyone but i dont use them commonly
i have respect for all religions and races and i dont not talk to someone cause they are black or jewish
heyhey11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 03:11 PM   #6
Synthlight
Administrator
Founder, System Administrator
AdministratorFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Falcon, maybe it would help if you would openly discuss your own views in this thread that you have started.

Cheers,

Synthlight
Synthlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 04:09 PM   #7
RobbyZero
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightdarkness
Racism is bad
straight up
people try to stop it, and they devote their lives to it
but the fact is, it will never stop, only keep going
i do my part, but that isnt enough

I feel exactly the same. It's extremely ignorant to not try and prevent it and encourage it.

Do us all a favor when your going to call someone a name call them something other than

Jew
Nazi
Especially ****** the worst possible one....

Stuff like that is pretty hurtfull
RobbyZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 04:23 PM   #8
Anticrombie0909
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Anticrombie0909

WARNING: ANYONE WHO IS RACIST AND IS OFFENDED BY MY TELLING THEM WHAT THEY ARE IN A VULGAR MANNAR SHOULD SKIP MY POST. AS WELL AS THOSE WITH 'VIRGIN EARS'. (Oh, and if you do skip this because you have 'virgin ears', I got this to say to you: gimme a break.)

Racism...is ignorance. That's all it is, plain and simple. Those that discriminate against someone because of skin color, or race, or religion, should be shot. They are just daft, fucking morons that are too fucking conceited and convinced that their own views are right to listen to logic, reason, or anything else. Instead, they'll just do what hundreds of other fucking morons have done, and keep on hating black people. Or jewish people. Or gay people. They are the kind of people that murder and don't realize that they're hurting someone. They are the kind of people that are literally the scum of this earth. They are the kind of people that make me hate to be a human. Nothing is more degrading, nothing makes you look more like an insecure, idiotic fucking prick than being racist, and openly admitting it. By flaunting that about, you have just basically done the equivilant of going up to a person on the street, saying 'I hate your shirt!' and starting a hate club against them. Because hating someone for race or religion or skin is as stupid and fucked up as hating someone because they are wearing a blue shirt.

*pants* There. Ranting over.
Anticrombie0909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 05:13 PM   #9
Anonymous
FFR Player

Quote:
Falcon, maybe it would help if you would openly discuss your own views in this thread that you have started.

Cheers,

Synthlight
i was goin for the socratic approach... ask a question without tainting the public's views with my own in order to see what everyone else thought, and then answer.

i've done a lot of thinking about this topic recently, on account that one of the groups that i am a part of at school. racism, whether any of us want to admit it or not, is pretty much everywhere. i myself, being from the south and having good friends who drive big trucks and listen to lynyrd skynyrd (which of course doesnt make you racist), have lots of racist friends, and i often find it hard not to be racist myself. its a hard thing to deal with, especially within a group of friends, because you are way more likely to be swayed to their point of view, especially if you (somewhat) agree with what they are saying. much of the hatred racism causes stems from misunderstandings of different lifestyle choices or clothing styles. one of the hardest things i find (at least for myself) is to not fall into a racist point of view, especially when you think you see a pattern in the behavior of a particular race. i take the stance that i hate a way of behavior, not a person, regardless of the color of their skin or their descent. if i see rude behavior coming from a person of a certain race, i try to address it accordingly, regardless of what race they are. but i'll admit, and i'm sure there are others who agree with me, that its often very hard not to have racist tendencies in some situations.

now, as far as affirmative action... i dont like the idea myself. i can see where it would have benefitted races besides caucasians 40 years ago, but i think its reached its limits as far as usefullness. and by no means am i taking the stance that white people should get all the jobs, i'm just saying that i dont agree with hiring someone of another race who is less qualified than a white person simply because of their skin color. thats like, reverse racism. the best person should get the job, regardless. of course, this point of view is taking into account that the employer is unbiased and not racist, which granted will not always happen, but i still hold that AA is losing its effectiveness.

sorry if i offended anyone.
Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 05:15 PM   #10
Falcon
FFR Player

darr... thats mine. i'll click the "remember me" box next time when i log in.
Old 12-17-2003, 08:11 PM   #11
JustJono
FFR Player

Yeah.. what Anticombie said.

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Jono.asp
JustJono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 08:25 PM   #12
Shikaku
FFR Player

look, racism is something that will take a long time to go away and you all fucking know it. but what u dont know is is that racism wont go away even in our mindsets, no its going to be gone LONG before you're dead. just think for a second. think about everytime you think, at all. think of any person. now characterize that person. easy right? yep, because its RACISM. racism controls everyone today, dictates our personality and if you act different ur outcasted. take me for example. i am 100% hispanic (not quite i might have native american thrown in, but still both my parents speak spanish and come from spanish countries). however, if ANY of you ever saw me, you would think immediatly im white. everyone thinks im white. I FUCKING TELL THEM IM HISPANIC. then they say FIRST are u mexican. guaranteed reaction if i never met this person before. i say no. then they ask are u part white. i say no. then they say then say something in spanish. iMARICON(A) NO ME TENGO QUE DECIR DE QUE YO SOY HISPANICO PORQUE YO SOY HISPANICO Y ESO SI QUE ES! ($agg0t i dont have to say that i am spanish, because i am spanish and that is verily so!) i say that with strong emotion and in a great spanish accent. then they say why dont u have a accent in english. because i was born here, in america, in new york. then they are like whatever white boy. GRRRRRRRRRR...... and not only that, i know someone from africa thats white. born in africa and speaks english but white. everyone says he is from england. i hate this stupid shit if you try to chracterize a person then you are trying to make a person an object!!! objects have concrete defenition and humans dont because if humans did then we'd be boring. SO BASICALLY ANYTHING THAT IS CHARACTERZATION OF ANY PERSON IS RACISM!

my website too... updated 3/22/04
Shikaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 08:47 PM   #13
MalReynolds
CHOCK FULL O' NUTRIENTS
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to MalReynolds

I think women belong in the kitchen. Their feet are smaller so they can stand closer to the stove/washing machine/sink. What do you call a woman with two black eyes? A bad listener.

But seriously, I think women's rights should equal mens.

Mal

"Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor

My new novel:

Maledictions: The Offering.

Now in Paperback!
MalReynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 12:25 AM   #14
jewpinthethird
(The Fat's Sabobah)
Retired StaffFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jewpinthethird

That is Sexism. Women arent a race.

Racism is the one thing that drives me mad. I cant stand listening to idiots talk about how they hate a group of people because they are different. I cant express how much I hate racist idiots in words....
jewpinthethird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 01:09 AM   #15
SuperGreenX
Tangy music sauce maker
FFR Music Producer

Send a message via AIM to SuperGreenX

Affirmative action angers me. I have a couple black (or partially black) friends who got some sweet scholarships. I'm happy for them since they are my friends, but they really didn't deserve them as much as a whole lot my white friends did (based on SAT's, GPA's, activities, etc). The thing is, both of my friends are quiiiiite rich and grew up in priveledged areas with some of the best schools in the nation. (I got no scholarship and deserved none )

I would like to see affirmative action that's based more on economic status or conditions of schools. Its the poor, inner city people (which are, yes, often minorities) with less opportunities who need this, not necessarily minorities.

I see this stuff where my dad works. When he's hiring new people, he makes sure to hire a couple minorities just so when his branch gets a little evaluation, it looks good. He says that often he will hire people that aren't as good as those they are displacing just to fullfull this.

Lame, in my opinion.

Wonderful Bite - New SGX Album! You can get it for free, yo!
SuperGreenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 12:22 PM   #16
ringluver
FFR Player

we shold be treated equal

I LIKE YOU

when the world is mine, your death shall be quick and painless.
ringluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 03:37 PM   #17
makaveli121212
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to makaveli121212

at least they got rid of affirmative action at U-M, so i could get in there...giving ethnic people or women or whatever an advantage is just ridiculous
makaveli121212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 05:47 PM   #18
User6773

My entire belief on affirmative action can be summed up in one sentence:

If we want to be truly fair in this nation to all races we must ignore race.
Old 12-18-2003, 05:57 PM   #19
jewpinthethird
(The Fat's Sabobah)
Retired StaffFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jewpinthethird

Quote:
Originally Posted by chardish
My entire belief on affirmative action can be summed up in one sentence:

If we want to be truly fair in this nation to all races we must ignore race.
That we must.

But the White man f*cked everything up. I blame the white man.
jewpinthethird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 06:07 PM   #20
Brainmaster07
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Brainmaster07

Ok, things such as scalorships, job applications etc. try to be non-racist by giving minorities an advantage. So now, if a white man and japanese man apply for the same job, with the exact same resume, the japenese man will be chosen first no matter what. Isn't that in itself being racist? They try to be non-racist to keep from being sued, and just flip the stage. (Not that the white man should win, I'm just saying, the same person with small physical differences get unfair advantages, when it should be equal.)

I personally don't care what race someone is. All I care is if they're smart and socially.... 'awesome'.