Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Stepmania
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2012, 06:14 PM   #41
who_cares973
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to who_cares973 Send a message via MSN to who_cares973 Send a message via Yahoo to who_cares973 Send a message via Skype™ to who_cares973
Default Re: Why are people hanging on to 3.9/3.95?

idk know about that
Old 06-26-2012, 06:14 PM   #42
who_cares973
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to who_cares973 Send a message via MSN to who_cares973 Send a message via Yahoo to who_cares973 Send a message via Skype™ to who_cares973

Old 06-26-2012, 06:17 PM   #43
Tyson ultima
Autismspeaks.gov
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Tyson ultima Send a message via Yahoo to Tyson ultima Send a message via Skype™ to Tyson ultima

I only use 3.95 cause of stepmania glass this is probably my only reason. I used SM5 for a good period of time because it supported HD which was great, only problem was my timing seemed to suffer a significant drop which i wasn't too happy with. So i just want back to 3.95
Old 06-26-2012, 06:19 PM   #44
AlexDest
good hot
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace View Post
ok ima put this in all caps because it ****ing bugs the hell out of me

WHEN I CUSTOM RESIZE THE ****ING PLAYING WINDOW IT DOESN'T SAVE AND I HAVE TO ****ING RESIZE IT EVERY ****ING TIME I WANT TO PLAY
Using fullscreen, I have this same problem. When I want to minimize Stepmania (hitting windows key) to check IMs, forums, etc., then go right back into Stepmania, the FPS is at 60 than at the average 75 and the window size is shortened in width.

Real ****ing great Stepmania mechanics.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:20 PM   #45
Gundam-Dude
`~`
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gundam-dude View Post
(in b4 incredible bias from kommi)
****ing called it

(Download My Magnum Opus, Solo Kpop Pack!)

My Simfiles (4key & 6key)
Gundam-Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:27 PM   #46
Bynary Fission
Retired One-Hander
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kommisar View Post
ddream makes files unfun and ruins them

this is a proven fact
^ Listen to this man.

https://soundcloud.com/bynary-fission/tell-us-who-you-are-battle-tower-royale-character-creation-screen
Bynary Fission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:32 PM   #47
AlexDest
good hot
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kommisar View Post
ddream makes files unfun and ruins them

this is a proven fact
This.

I'd rather look in the editor and see just one bpm playing through the whole file or portions of the file.

Not all the +/- ~.01 interval shit.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:33 PM   #48
bmah
shots FIRED
Global Moderator, User Support, Judge
Global ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexDest View Post
haha this also bugs me to no end
bmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:39 PM   #49
dAnceguy117
new hand moves = dab
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

wow I didn't realize there was so much h8 for ddreamage. I've never noticed that stuff. if I ever step a totally tempo-wavery song I'm definitely gonna use it. tried syncing by hand/ear multiples times, but I'm completely incapable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmah View Post
Nope, it goes one way: negative bpm tricks made in 3.9 works in 5.0, but not the other way around. That's why I mentioned accessibility earlier.
ahhh okay, then using 3.9 style bpm tricks makes a ton of sense. I wish you luck... negative bpm tricks sound like a nightmare to create

Quote:
Originally Posted by who_cares973 View Post
my GPS on sm5 is garbage. yes I've tried lowering the setting until everything just a blur.yes I've tried different themes.yes I've tried different rations. no nothing works

if everything would've been gone and dandy I would've been using it by now since I was and still am an sm-ssc supporter
bummer yo. I don't know much about sm-ssc, but that seems like a reasonable alternative. have you tried emailing sm5 devs? idk what else there is to try really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushyrulz View Post
because I prefer the layout of 3.9 and 3.95.
themes

Quote:
WHEN I CUSTOM RESIZE THE ****ING PLAYING WINDOW IT DOESN'T SAVE AND I HAVE TO ****ING RESIZE IT EVERY ****ING TIME I WANT TO PLAY
ooooooooooooooh I did not know that. I think I'll email one of those duders about the issue. that seems like a really simple fix, a one- or two-liner even.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonid View Post
LOTS of reasons why the sm5 editor sux
can't argue there. sounds unbearable. maybe those problems will be fixed down the road, but as of now I wouldn't go near that thing.
dAnceguy117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:06 PM   #50
Plan_Bsk81127
snooches

Send a message via AIM to Plan_Bsk81127 Send a message via Skype™ to Plan_Bsk81127

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Zeta~ View Post
nothing wrong with 3.9 so why bother.
This

3.9 does everything I need, so see no reason to switch.
Plan_Bsk81127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:11 PM   #51
sticklydude
r.i.p. tiny hippo

Send a message via Skype™ to sticklydude

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexDest View Post
cause ppl r too lazy to do the save as single bpm.
sticklydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:14 PM   #52
Frank Munoz
Vophie
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

I have many crashes. In fact. I haven't been able to play a single song because of it.
Imma just leave it there for a while longer until I feel like making it work or smth.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:04 AM   #53
kommisar
Dark Chancellor
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music Producer

Send a message via AIM to kommisar Send a message via MSN to kommisar

I'm actually just mad at ddream i'm not being completely serious

but in some cases the fact that people are meticulously taking apart every single sound and beat from the song causes the person to lose track of what the song is actually offering in terms of accents and it just turns out being a technical dump. you're no longer playing the song, you're playing the notes.

if you're syncing a song that doesn't have static bpm, that's fine to use it to sync. if you're using a static bpm, there's really no point and seeing a bpm change every 4th note is really dumb and actually causes each note to drift slightly which is ever so frustrating.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:59 AM   #54
Jousway
FFR Player

I'm just going to throw this in here

but you guys do know that 3.95 is known as the most unstable version of stepmania ever made, like you guys only use like 10% of the actual program so you dont really see it, but a load of shit related to smo, theming, noteskins and the list goes on and on is bugged in 3.95, like I got every single version of stepmania and I like to try out shit now and then in those versions, the most unstable version I have ever played with is 3.95 and thats really not a joke.

Jousway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:07 AM   #55
Herogashix
Descension from Heaven
FFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

My comp just can't handle SM5. Which is both sad and retarded.
Although 3.95 has a bunch of bugs n shit, as long as you're not actually exploring every nook and cranny of the program, it's fine. I don't see any reason to switch. Whatever works for the person.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:55 AM   #56
LongGone
-
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

If someone is just starting out DDream or stepping, then the 192nd meticulous sync/snap becomes an issue. Perhaps some tryouts with the SM editor beforehand prior to using DDream might help

However, once you understand the basics in a song structure and stepping, DDream is a real ddream to use. To me its more intuitive, quicker to use and sync, even for static bpm songs; being able to pause/start any part of the song on the fly. (personally, I step just by visual/own judgement in ddream for an hour or two, then playtest in sm afterwards)

As long as you don't sync every single note to 192nds, it can be a very handy program. Its just really messy when abused, I agree

ps to each their own ofcourse. Though I can see why people who step in sm editor have a "better sense" of what works and what doesn't

pps I'm personally biased to ddream because of the ease of using subbeats to colour notes rofl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choofers View Post
people age at a rate of about 1 year per year
LongGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:16 AM   #57
aj187
FFR Player

Hi!

re: some of the general issues:

Themes: I maintain a list of SM5 themes at http://sm.ajworld.net/themes/; it might be possible you'll find something you like in there, but if you're expecting a bunch of old 3.9/3.95 theme ports, you'll end up disappointed.

Editor: Surprise! Any developer not named "Wolfman2000" hates the current state of the editor. The plan is for the original sm-ssc devs to make an external editor (currently named noscope) that surpasses the internal editor. (You'd have to ask shakesoda for more details, though.)

sm-ssc: it's done; it's no longer being maintained. this is coming from the person who invented the fork. if you still use it, I'm not responsible if things start to not work.

.ssc format: I initially proposed this as .msd5 (msd, dwi1, dwi2, sm, this), but it was renamed to .ssc. The format was meant to be a stopgap, but nothing else has come up. It's not the best format for the job; it was made to be easy to reuse the NotesLoader/WriterSM code. Still not sure what the future holds for this.

Alright, on to the posts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dAnceguy117 View Post
I don't know about anyone else, but I know personally I'm not used to giving feedback to software developers. usually the software I use is so widely popular that anything I could think of has already been reported. I need to adjust my mindset and remember that the SM developers have a much more limited audience.
We have a bugtracker at http://ssc.ajworld.net/sm-ssc/bugtracker/ for reports. Some issues are known, but not all of them. I would suggest that the people in here who have had crashes try to replicate them, and if they're successful, post a bug report with the crashlog.txt attached.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmah View Post
If I made xmod files in 5.0, new features such as warps would not be compatable for users with older versions of SM.
While that might be true for some of the new segment types (speeds, scrolls, etc.), Warps are converted to their negative BPM counterparts when saving .sm files.
Negative BPMs from older files are converted into Warps when loaded into SM5, so hopefully that won't be a problem either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choofers View Post
I had to downgrade to 3.9 because this laptop is shit.
I've noticed this problem a lot and I blame laptops being shit in general (but mainly due to what graphics card is onboard).

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildfireskunk View Post
I'm get a massive boner over ITG, so until someone releases an accurate ITG theme for SM5 I'm sticking to SM3.95
There's the ITG3 theme port in progress.
I tried porting ITG2, but the wheel transform is a bitch to do with the new system so I gave up.

Quote:
ok ima put this in all caps because it ****ing bugs the hell out of me

so **** you sm5 peace
then edit Preferences.ini instead and stop assuming that the window size is saved every time you manually resize it
If you have been editing Preferences.ini to do this, then we have a problem and it should be reported on the bugtracker.

@ssc_kki on Twitter
StepMania 5 Themes available from spinal shark collective. Might also want to check the SM5 Theme Update.

Last edited by aj187; 06-27-2012 at 11:23 AM..
aj187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:27 AM   #58
iCeCuBEz v2
XFD
FFR Veteran

when I use any theme other than 3.9/3.95 my MA dies

Dennis, Nell, Edna, Leon, Nedra, Anita, Rolf, Nora, Alice, Carol, Leo, Jane, Reed, Dena, Dale, Basil, Rae, Penny, Lana, Dave, Denny, Lena, Ida, Bernadette, Ben, Ray, Lila, Nina, Jo, Ira, Mara, Sara, Mario, Jan, Ina, Lily, Arne, Bette, Dan, Reba, Diane, Lynn, Ed, Eva, Dana, Lynne, Pearl, Isabel, Ada, Ned, Dee, Rena, Joel, Lora, Cecil, Aaron, Flora, Tina, Arden, Noel, and Ellen sinned.
iCeCuBEz v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:33 AM   #59
ScylaX
urararararararara
FFR Music Producer

Send a message via MSN to ScylaX Send a message via Skype™ to ScylaX

Quote:
Kinda annoys me when the guys working on it get very little feedback and support from the people they're making the game for.
Woah woah woah what ?
It isn't the fault of the players if they have reasons for sticking to old versions. The problem lies in what is available in the new versions, maybe there is something lacking and that hasn't been worked on while the older version never had problem with that ? Or maybe a new version wasn't ultimately needed ? Or maybe the player just never necessitated a brand new version and it'd have been probably better if these guys just made an update, adding new functionalities and all. There are old versions that are fully functionals and people stick to it because the interface is full of benchmarks for them, and never failed them ; the problem of new stepmania versions is how they change the interface and the benchmarks while NOBODY ever wished for that (new theme mechanics are a good example), it's almost as they redid things from scratch.

I think necessitating a minimal number of changes and focusing and what has to change would be a good way to incitate people to move onto the next version. You need more than good intentions and generosity to have proper feedbacks. If what you worked on doesn't fulfill some necessities, you can't blame the players for that. The community as a whole shall owe these guys something, but the individual players composing the group just owe nothing to nobody.

As for me, I stick to 3.9 because it fulfills everything I need for stepmania, I don't have the need to play online, and, above all, the theme I use wouldn't be compatible with the new versions. If there is a working theme converter, then I would probably change. But it looks like there are other things that change, as for the editor. And I don't really want to switch my benchmarks, because I know how it would dissatisfy me to make new simfiles.

Last edited by ScylaX; 06-27-2012 at 11:52 AM..
ScylaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:57 AM   #60
icontrolyourworld
Enjoy life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCeCuBEz v2 View Post
when I use any theme other than 3.9/3.95 my MA dies
This

and last time I downloaded sm5, I opened it and it crashed my computer right away (i tried 3 times before saying screw it)

before that my biggest problem was that sm5 loads songs 9x slower than sm 3.95/3.9, I already barely play sm now because of how long it takes to load my songs.
icontrolyourworld is offline   Reply With Quote