Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2006, 09:14 PM   #21
Snowcrafta
V's beta-male entourage

Send a message via AIM to Snowcrafta
Default Re: Guitar Hero. Awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromer
But that's the thing Snow. Konami made Beatmania SEVEN YEARS AGO. To call an American iteration of BM a rip-off of GH when GH itself is a rip-off of GF by Konami, then I just call that irony.
Why do I always have to sigh at these comments.

THE MAJORITY OF AMERICA HAS NO ****ING IDEA IN FJORDVILLE SOMALIA WHAT THE **** BEATMANIA, POP'N, DRUMMANIA, OR GUITAR FREAKS IS.

The reason Morgan Webb called beatmania a guitar hero ripoff was because she indeed knew of guitar hero and the style it played before she even touched beatmania. I don't give a flying **** about people bitching about how it was called a rip off. Guitar Hero, to about 95% of America, is more appealing game to being with. Beatmania is simply Stepmania with 3 more buttons and the fact you have to extend your left pinky time to time. The only reason for people's zealous defence of it is because they view it as bemani euphoria.

Also, my opinion as of late of beatmania is low. The game has dry, dime-a-dozen music with little talent involved in making the songs, ridiculously un-fun notecharts, and just feels like i'm mashing keys to make noises and see a grade. I am up to 11's, and have had the game for just about a year now, should you wish to question my qualifications.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:17 PM   #22
Chromer
Hookers and Blow
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Chromer Send a message via Yahoo to Chromer

And thus you reveal the view of 95% of American who play this game. America is so vague in thier perception of other video games, that anything that make them feel more "American", will generally be more well received. What red-blooded white American wouldn't love to play a guitar like their favorite rockers of yesterday? Point is, it's the actual music that is selling this game. If it was Japanese, America wouldn't give a flying ****. Oh yeah, they don't.

If you want an objective opinion about GH here you have it:

IMO, Guitar Hero is an average music game for the average joe. It simplistic controls may make the game enjoyable at first, but suffer from extreme lack of replayability in the end. The song selection is quite varied but more of the well known classic rock songs seem to be missing (Enter Sandman I think is not in the game). Overall, if you are an average person looking for about 30 minutes of fake-guitar playing, GH is for you. 6.5/10
Old 06-19-2006, 11:43 PM   #23
TheEvilHobo
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to TheEvilHobo Send a message via Yahoo to TheEvilHobo

I just got Guitar Hero yesterday. I started out on medium and can 100% most songs. I don't know if it's because I'm left handed or I just suck but, but I can't do the orange fret worth ****. At all. Messes me up really bad.
Old 06-20-2006, 01:37 AM   #24
psycho442
FFR Player

I'm right there with you EvilHobo. I can completely master Medium mode, but I can't ****ing hit the orange fret without screwing up the whole damn song. I suck badly at finger games. I think it is because your left-handed cause I'm left handed. My feet are my specialty.

Last edited by psycho442; 06-20-2006 at 01:40 AM..
psycho442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 02:52 AM   #25
Snowcrafta
V's beta-male entourage

Send a message via AIM to Snowcrafta

Hobo - Turn on lefty mode if you're left handed.

Chromer - My brother, who has slapped away EVERY music game i've tried to make him play has basically stolen my Guitar hero away from me. He's been playing it pretty much from the time he gets home until bedtime. So saying this is entertaining for 30 minutes would be completly silly.

And selling points are pretty retarded anyways, I mean we all know that if Guitar hero wasn't all american, it would have dropped. It did so well because what you said was true - It's all american.

It's fun at harder levels anyways, since pattern get tricky regardless of how much you want to belive you strum once on every 8th note.

Plus it has Spanish Castle Magic on it, so whatever you say about the music is null.
Old 06-20-2006, 04:18 AM   #26
Gano
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Gano Send a message via MSN to Gano Send a message via Skype™ to Gano

I could've sworn I posted here already.. I enjoyed Guitar Hero a lot, and cleared Expert within a week of owning the game. But it truly is the easiest music game I've ever played. I can understand why it's so popular here, its low difficulty and agreeable music selection. It annoys me that XPlay would call IIDX a GH ripoff, but what can you expect, it's XPlay, they really don't know much about music gaming.

fix'd.

doraemon bustin caps

Last edited by Gano; 06-20-2006 at 09:42 AM..
Gano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 05:40 AM   #27
Chromer
Hookers and Blow
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Chromer Send a message via Yahoo to Chromer

Reverse that last statement about IIDX and GH and you'll get it right.
Old 07-4-2006, 12:43 AM   #28
ILSanGojeta
FFR Player

Dude, I agree, Guitar Hero is awesome. I played it the first time today, myself, and actually got really into it. For the other people who are like,"DDR is better, DDR is an extremely easy game with only four buttons that you press to a beat, and is rather boring after a while. Guitar hero makes sense. DDR has nothing to do with dancing, for if you went up on stage and danced like you do in DDR, people would call you a retard. Guitar hero actually has pretty similar aspects that a real guitar does, and you could probably learn to play guitar a bit more easily after playing guitar hero. So yeah, in my opinion, this game gets a thumbs-up.
ILSanGojeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-4-2006, 11:01 AM   #29
Gano
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Gano Send a message via MSN to Gano Send a message via Skype™ to Gano

Generally rhythm games are a very simplified version of whatever actual form of rhythm the game is trying to emulate. Sure you can't get on a stage and stamp your feet in four places and be a good dancer.. But you can't throw on a guitar and play anything for **** just because you've played Guitar Hero either. Just pointing it out

doraemon bustin caps
Gano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 06:47 AM   #30
regretful
FFR Player

Okay, my one-post history isn't likely to lend me much credibility, but whatever.

I've been playing DDR for years. I love ITG and PIU. I even get into things like Technic Beat, Taiko Drum Master, and the most relevant to the conversation, Guitar Hero.

Yes, Guitar Hero is purely American. It's American Rock, like it or not. They're familiar songs, and most of the players can hum along with the melody as it plays. This is one part of the appeal.

Easy controls, yeah. The solos get tricky, and the middle sections get repetative, but it's an accurate representation of just what it tries to be. You play the full song, and with relative accuracy. The notechart has to match the music.

Sure, an accuracy rating would have been nice, but is it manditory because that is the standard Konami has set? If they really wanted to, they could tighten it up so it's perfect or nothing, and people would complain.

In the end, Guitar Hero serves a cause. It's mainstream. DDR has been breaking into the spotlight, yes, but it's still a niche game. Guitar Hero is slowly breaking out of that niche. Look at the original poster's brother. While the game isn't the cream of the crop, the hardest, the best implimented, or elite enough for some of you... It has an audience. And -any- music game that brings attention to the genre and gets great reviews is good for the genre as a whole. The more attention, the more marketable it seems. Konami is much more likely to bring over Guitar Freaks since Guitar Hero sells so well. Popularity sells games, and as such, don't insult the gateway game. Today Guitar Hero, tomorrow IIDX. Eventually, something greater than both.

Call yourself cutting edge, you know better, but the masses don't. You can insult them for liking a 'lesser' form of your passtime, or you can embrace them and show them what they are missing.

Damn, this is sounding a bit too preachy. I didn't mean to come off that way. I'd go retype it all if I weren't too lazy.

Bah.
regretful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 10:29 PM   #31
gs6
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to gs6

Guitar Hero's a good game, but anyone who calls it a completely original game (some G4 awards show gave it the award for most original game of the year) needs to be smacked with the GH controller.
gs6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-2-2006, 10:43 PM   #32
Techn1que
FFR Player

I liked Guitar Freak alot.
Yet, Guitar Hero WHOA MY GOD. It's quite fun/addicting. The only songs I can't 5 star on Expert, Is : Guitar Hero, All of This. Don't ask why, I just can't do it X_X;! I can do all of the other songs, in a couple tries but those! ><;
~Guitar hero 2, coming soon :3
Old 09-4-2006, 12:33 PM   #33
Metalmuppet
FFR Player

From what I'm hearing, it looks like all of you need either "Through the Fire and Flames" or "Fury of the Strom" by Dragonforce, either "One" or "Master of Puppets" by Metallica, and either "Aces High" or "The Trooper" by Iron Maiden to appear in Guitar Hero 2. They all rock.
Metalmuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 10:32 PM   #34
antuanrobinson
FFR Player

Evil or Very Mad
Confused
Neutral
Crying or Very sad
Shocked
Mad
Neutral
Embarassed
Surprised
Arrow
Razz
Sad
Idea
Razz
Sad
Razz
Question
Mad
Smile
Wink
Exclamation
Mad
Smile
Very Happy
Wink
Laughing
Very Happy
Surprised
Wink
Roll Eyes (Sarcastic)
Cool
Surprised
antuanrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 10:59 PM   #35
Tibs
FFR Player

Send a message via Skype™ to Tibs

Never post again.
Tibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 01:55 AM   #36
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Squeek

Good advice.

Deleted the most retarded of the two posts but left the first intact so people can see what we're talking about.
Squeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 02:17 AM   #37
T0rajir0u
FFR Player
FFR Simfile Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromer View Post
America is so vague in thier perception of other video games
just because you play a video game most people don't play doesn't give you the excuse to be a jackass elitist about it ******
Old 10-8-2006, 03:13 PM   #38
Jamaican Jew
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Jamaican Jew Send a message via MSN to Jamaican Jew Send a message via Skype™ to Jamaican Jew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromer View Post
Point is, it's the actual music that is selling this game. If it was Japanese, America wouldn't give a flying ****.
The objective was to rake in some cash, and they got their wish. I'm not personally fond of a lot of the songs in there, but I still enjoy playing with my friends. Just like in any game (music or otherwise) it's fun to watch how well or poorly the other people play, take an occasional crack at it, laugh about it later and so on. Even some of the most uncoordinated, anti-Japanese culture fanatics I know have enjoyed playing such games as DDR and ITG, and I think it's all a matter of setting and who you're playing with.
Old 10-28-2006, 08:28 AM   #39
BlinkR0cker182
FFR Player

Send a message via ICQ to BlinkR0cker182

I give this game a 10.5/10 because I do like the music and the game is awesome. Why does it matter that if it was from the japs that it wouldn't be a hit. THATS WHY IT IS AN AMERICAN GAME WITH AMERICAN MUSIC TO APPEAL TO AMERICAN PEOPLE! The japs can play there games and we can play our games. The point of this thread is to say what you think about the game and score it. Not say that the game is horrible and how this game and that game rules. Say what you think about the game but don't flame everyone elses posts.

-Dylan

I pledge n00bishness to the bad scores of the Internet. And to the misses for which i fail: one perfect under Shash,unhi-scorable,With boos and averages for all!
BlinkR0cker182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 12:15 PM   #40
Moogy
嗚呼
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to Moogy

Nice job using a racial slur. Moron.

^^^ vintage signature from like 2006 preserved
Moogy is offline   Reply With Quote