Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Video Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2007, 11:22 AM   #1
zidart
FFR Player

Default Tales of innocence trailer

japanese trailer of tales of innocence for nintendo DS, i can't wait for this game (i hope it get's here XD)

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/28411.html
zidart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-9-2008, 06:29 PM   #2
kratos7
FFR Player

Default Re: Tales of innocence trailer

Omg ds's dont suck anymore
kratos7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-9-2008, 06:39 PM   #3
xplayfan
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to xplayfan

In before Squeek.

Also, it looks awesome. I'm presuming that the touch screen would be used for menu navigation and as a map. I definitely hope it comes out here.
xplayfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-9-2008, 06:47 PM   #4
Ozie-Saf
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Damn pretty for a DS game!!

Ozie-Saf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-9-2008, 08:50 PM   #5
tsugomaru
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to tsugomaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kratos7 View Post
Omg ds's dont suck anymore
They never did. This isn't even going to be a game that's going to make it awesome, but it probably will be an awesome game. I just hope they translate it into English.

~Tsugomaru
When their heart is pierced by a bullet from a pistol...? No.
When they succumb to an incurable disease...? No.
When they drink soup made with a poisonous mushroom...? NO!!!
IT'S WHEN A PERSON IS FORGOTTEN...!!!
tsugomaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-9-2008, 10:49 PM   #6
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Squeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by xplayfan View Post
In before Squeek.
I don't have a DS and this isn't the kind of game that would make me buy one. Maybe when the console is $50.

To be honest the DSes graphics are so bad I literally cannot play it. They don't even try to make it look good. It looks like an SNES. There are jaggies and pixels EVERYWHERE. Not to mention graphical lag and just an all-around unnecessary approach to gaming.

I'm normally not a graphicswhore, but it's just TERRIBLE. I can't understand why nobody has docked the system for how bad the games look. And when compared to just how absolutely stunning the graphics look in Vesperia, this is just ****.

Then again, the PSP's graphics are just as bad, so whatever. Jaggies for all!
Squeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-9-2008, 11:02 PM   #7
KlingPosnot
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

I am so gonna import this!
KlingPosnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-9-2008, 11:51 PM   #8
tsugomaru
FFR Player

Although the DS graphics are so-so (in my opinion), the games are still good. I'm glad that I was able to trade in my SP for a DS and a game at Gamestop on Black Friday, it was too good of a deal to pass up.

(And before, I traded my GameBoy Color for an SP)

~Tsugomaru
Old 01-10-2008, 08:46 AM   #9
SethSquall
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to SethSquall

I blew my load, seriously will be importing this. Well, when it gets to the states if it does. I'm not waiting for it to get to the UK. Oh my god Oh my god OH MY GOD. This looks so awesome. I can't wait I can't wait I simply cannot wait. Why is this game not here. In my hand. Now. NOW. OH MY GOD. GIVE ME THE GAME.

Oh and Squeek,

!?

The graphics are beautiful. You're expecting way to much of a handheld aren't you?

Last edited by SethSquall; 01-10-2008 at 08:49 AM..
SethSquall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 12:06 PM   #10
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethSquall View Post
The graphics are beautiful. You're expecting way to much of a handheld aren't you?
Maybe I saw screenshots from an early release or the video is just too blurry to make out how bad they are, but I posted that without seeing the video. It looks decent, but I still expect better.

The point I was trying to make is that the handhelds tried too hard to bridge the gap between 2D and 3D and I don't think they did it well enough. See, the reason I got an N64 over a PS1 was because the N64, despite looking blocky and stupid at times, never had that jagged cut-out look to the games. Everything I've seen for DS/PSP has that look of an early '90s Doom/Wolfenstein knockoff reminiscent of the days of the PS1.

I thought the GBA looked fine. We had games like Golden Sun and Summon Knight and those looked great! There was even a Mario Kart that I personally thought looked better than Mario Kart 64. Then I see Mario Kart DS and I just can't even believe anyone can play it. It's like we've all taken a step back to when triangles were OK for arms. It looks terrible.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:23 PM   #11
tsugomaru
FFR Player

I'd have to agree there. I'd take GBA's graphics over the DS's graphics any day. But once again, I have a DS because they were literally giving it away and I'm glad I took it because now I can play a ton more awesome games.

~Tsugomaru
Old 01-10-2008, 08:44 PM   #12
zidart
FFR Player

i don't care about graphics and the DS has a pontential of mixing 3D with 2D. as long as this game is awesome i don't care about them.. i serously never thought you would say that squeek, miss a game just because of graphics? now that's shallow.

as you can see on the video the gameplay is fast paced maybe a little more fast paced that other tales of games, and if namco decides to make this wireless multiplayer then the camera won't be an issue to anyone never again. the story?? well tales games seldom have bad stories.

Last edited by zidart; 01-10-2008 at 08:46 PM..
Old 01-10-2008, 10:01 PM   #13
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

A game has three aspects in my eyes: story, graphics, and gameplay. In Tales games that I've played, the story and gameplay far exceed that of any other RPG on the market. The graphics may not be as good, but for what they work with, they're phenomenal. Especially when compared to how bad Final Fantasy games look on the PS2. It's a different style that simply works better.

I'm not going to out and say the DS games suck because of their graphics. I'm going to say it's not worth spending $130 and another $30-40 for a game that doesn't exploit the potential it has.

Look. This is what I mean.

(in case it gets de-hotlinked: http://nintendo.about.com/od/screens...kartDSSS_5.htm)

(again: http://www.gamershell.com/gba/mario_...reenshots.html)

They realized the graphic limit they were dealing with and worked accordingly. Every kart is really just a 2-D image being shown from various angles (I believe it's 16, but it could be 32). Based on how hard you turn, they show a different angle. Unlike the DS version, which blockifies all of the karts and makes a mockery of the concept of wall textures.

It would be fine if it were limited to just one game, but it isn't.

(http://nintendo.about.com/od/screens...supbroDSSS.htm)

I mean, WHAT THE HELL. NOT EVEN CLOSE.

JAGGIES. BLOCKS. PIXELS. EVERYWHERE.

Across the board, every major DS and PSP game I've seen has been severely lacking in the graphical department.

All I'm trying to say is that if they didn't try so hard to implement fake 3D graphics (AKA 2.5D), they could have made a better game out of what they had to work with.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:47 PM   #14
zidart
FFR Player

that looks way better than 64 games if you ask me. and by the way inside the DS they look even better those pictures. even though you see pixels in many of them many games exploit every aspect of the DS (the legend of zelda phantom hourglass, phoenix wright ace attorney and final fantasy XII revenant wings just to mention some of the big list).

besides it is worth to spent 130$ on a handheld that has MANY MANY good games in fact it has more than the wii/ps3/360, and just because it has 64 graphics doesn't mean is not worth buying, for example only few wii games use the full capacity of their graphics but still is a worth buying console for the gameplay of many games it has
Old 01-11-2008, 08:06 PM   #15
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

So far the only DS games I've wanted to play are Pokemon Pearl / Diamond, Phoenix Wright, and Cooking Mama. I've played them all and many others, like Trauma Center, WarioWare, Zelda, etc. I can honestly say I had more fun with GBA games. Immersive gameplay only works when you legitimately feel like your actions influence the game. So far only two games have used the touch screen correctly, in my opinion: Cooking Mama and Trauma Center.

Also, what? Phoenix Wright utilizes the full graphic potential of the DS? With still images? It's nothing more than a dating sim with a hilarious story.

I have yet to play a Wii game that looked bad. What games are you playing where you don't see full graphical capability? Wii Sports? No, because that's just the style of the game, just like LittleBig Planet is a graphically intense game despite looking like ancient technology. Elebits? The game pushes so much from the graphics that it lags the processing. Metroid Prime 3 is only one of the most visually stunning games on the market and Mario Galaxy is more beautiful than most 360 and PS3 games.

I know what you're trying to say. Games like Super Paper Mario look like they could've been done years ago and remain exactly the same. They could. The developers decided on a look and went with it. They didn't care to try for anything more than a clean-looking 2D model of Mario. And it worked really well. The game probably could've worked on DS, too. It would look exactly the same. That's perfectly fine! It's the style of the game!

What I'm saying is that DS game developers are trying to fit a game meant for a console onto a handheld and they think about graphics last. It's like they're shrinking them down without a care for how it looks, and it totally ruins the immersion when you see that many jaggies, blockies, and pixels in every game you play.

Was there a reason why Mario had to be 3D in the New Super Mario Bros. game? Honestly? No. There wasn't. It looks stupid. It would've worked much better with a 2D representation. I would have found no flaws with the game had it been totally 2D. But they went for the meaningless 2.5D and failed miserably.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:52 AM   #16
zidart
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeek View Post
So far the only DS games I've wanted to play are Pokemon Pearl / Diamond, Phoenix Wright, and Cooking Mama. I've played them all and many others, like Trauma Center, WarioWare, Zelda, etc. I can honestly say I had more fun with GBA games. Immersive gameplay only works when you legitimately feel like your actions influence the game. So far only two games have used the touch screen correctly, in my opinion: Cooking Mama and Trauma Center.

Also, what? Phoenix Wright utilizes the full graphic potential of the DS? With still images? It's nothing more than a dating sim with a hilarious story.

I have yet to play a Wii game that looked bad. What games are you playing where you don't see full graphical capability? Wii Sports? No, because that's just the style of the game, just like LittleBig Planet is a graphically intense game despite looking like ancient technology. Elebits? The game pushes so much from the graphics that it lags the processing. Metroid Prime 3 is only one of the most visually stunning games on the market and Mario Galaxy is more beautiful than most 360 and PS3 games.

I know what you're trying to say. Games like Super Paper Mario look like they could've been done years ago and remain exactly the same. They could. The developers decided on a look and went with it. They didn't care to try for anything more than a clean-looking 2D model of Mario. And it worked really well. The game probably could've worked on DS, too. It would look exactly the same. That's perfectly fine! It's the style of the game!

What I'm saying is that DS game developers are trying to fit a game meant for a console onto a handheld and they think about graphics last. It's like they're shrinking them down without a care for how it looks, and it totally ruins the immersion when you see that many jaggies, blockies, and pixels in every game you play.

Was there a reason why Mario had to be 3D in the New Super Mario Bros. game? Honestly? No. There wasn't. It looks stupid. It would've worked much better with a 2D representation. I would have found no flaws with the game had it been totally 2D. But they went for the meaningless 2.5D and failed miserably.
it's funny that you always bash the consoles that you don't own... is this a pattern or what????

woow first in the wii/ps3/360 threads you say that graphics are not important and now you give a "DS graphics sucks" excuse just to hate the DS, seriously and you even used the same price tag/not a lot of games excuse to hate this console.

and besides squeek for your information the images of phoenix wright MOOOVE and they do various hilarious animations (not to mention interesting plot storyline).

new super mario bros is the most nostalgic mario these days and great mario game at that... missing this game just for graphics is pretty stupid.

"So far the only DS games I've wanted to play are Pokemon Pearl / Diamond, Phoenix Wright, and Cooking Mama. I've played them all and many others, like Trauma Center, WarioWare, Zelda, etc. I can honestly say I had more fun with GBA games. Immersive gameplay only works when you legitimately feel like your actions influence the game. So far only two games have used the touch screen correctly, in my opinion: Cooking Mama and Trauma Center."

please give me a break saying that only cooking mama and trauma center used them correctly is a laugh. all those games you listed if you haven't played them use the touch screen perfectly and it fits with the gameplay, it's true that many DS games don't use these options but like some wii games is better that way.

and 2.5D games well i still say that they look better than the polygons of the 64, the pixels and jaggs are not an issue as long as i can see the facial expresions of the characters (wich you can see them in tales of destiny and final fantasy III/IV) that the game doesn't go slower (it's very uncomon for a DS game to have lag) or that they are colorful and attractive for a handheld console (wich phoenix wright and hotel dusk have very interesting hand draw animations)
Old 01-12-2008, 02:17 AM   #17
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

I said earlier in the thread that graphics don't matter unless they're bad. When they ruin the immersive experience, they're bad. Mario Land comes in two glorious colors: green and black. That doesn't stop me from enjoying it to this very day. It looks beautiful for the technology available at the time it was made.

The reason I say "graphics don't matter" for consoles is because consoles already offer lifelike graphics. Why do we need anything better than lifelike?

2D images move? You mean like... basic animation?

Do you know how Disney makes cartoons? 2D pictures. That move.

You say all of the games use the touch screen perfectly. Ok.

Pokemon Pearl. Why am I using the touch screen for so many things? Why can't it just be a GBA game with two screens? Why am I touching the backpack for items? I was fine with pressing "start" and hitting "a".

Zelda: I have to point to move? Why? What the hell is the point of a d-pad if you're going to make me point to move? (Note: you will probably point out Zack and Wiki at this point, since I profess to love the game. That is a point-and-click adventure. It is specifically designed to work the way it works and it is all the better for it. Attaching a nunchuk would make some of the motions impossible to do, and it would just be unnecessary when you're clicking on objects to interact with them in the first place)

Phoenix Wright at least lets you use the d-pad and buttons if you want. I got tired of tapping "play" every half-second. I never once used the microphone. I never once spun around objects with the pointer. It's meaningless.

The graphics had the potential to be better than the N64. They just couldn't make it work properly. Anti-aliasing, please. Just one game with anti-aliasing?

I'm not knocking the console. I'm knocking the game developers for not making games properly. The lack of games is one reason I won't buy one, not because it's a bad console. On the contrary, it's a great console. I just have no time to play it because I drive myself to work and school. I have a Wii and a PS2 with plenty of games to play. I have no reason to own a DS.
Old 01-12-2008, 02:37 AM   #18
zidart
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeek View Post
I said earlier in the thread that graphics don't matter unless they're bad. When they ruin the immersive experience, they're bad. Mario Land comes in two glorious colors: green and black. That doesn't stop me from enjoying it to this very day. It looks beautiful for the technology available at the time it was made.

The reason I say "graphics don't matter" for consoles is because consoles already offer lifelike graphics. Why do we need anything better than lifelike?

2D images move? You mean like... basic animation?

Do you know how Disney makes cartoons? 2D pictures. That move.

You say all of the games use the touch screen perfectly. Ok.

Pokemon Pearl. Why am I using the touch screen for so many things? Why can't it just be a GBA game with two screens? Why am I touching the backpack for items? I was fine with pressing "start" and hitting "a".

Zelda: I have to point to move? Why? What the hell is the point of a d-pad if you're going to make me point to move? (Note: you will probably point out Zack and Wiki at this point, since I profess to love the game. That is a point-and-click adventure. It is specifically designed to work the way it works and it is all the better for it. Attaching a nunchuk would make some of the motions impossible to do, and it would just be unnecessary when you're clicking on objects to interact with them in the first place)

Phoenix Wright at least lets you use the d-pad and buttons if you want. I got tired of tapping "play" every half-second. I never once used the microphone. I never once spun around objects with the pointer. It's meaningless.

The graphics had the potential to be better than the N64. They just couldn't make it work properly. Anti-aliasing, please. Just one game with anti-aliasing?

I'm not knocking the console. I'm knocking the game developers for not making games properly. The lack of games is one reason I won't buy one, not because it's a bad console. On the contrary, it's a great console. I just have no time to play it because I drive myself to work and school. I have a Wii and a PS2 with plenty of games to play. I have no reason to own a DS.
woow the last sentence contraditcs all you said before.

great thank you for teaching me the meaning of the word animation (i'm not being sarcastic)

it's easier for RPGs to use the touch screen to select the menus than to scroll down with the D-pad and diamond and pearl is an example.

for phantom hourglass , like IN MANY OTHER WII GAMES it uses the technology of the DS to make it more imersive (you know kinda like why should i spin with mario instead of pressing a button??) and it works perfectly for 2D (or as you call it 2.5D) zelda games

pressing the play button or pressing the A button is the same thing you just don't like the touch screen to begin with. and i frequently use the microphone beacuse when i got the answer in my head i just feel better shouting it at the microphone. and moving the pointer with the D-pad is a pain compared to just POINT-AND CLICK, because you might not noticed but phoenix wright is a POINT-AND-CLICK game.

saying the DS doesn't have better graphics than the 64 is just ridiculous... sure the pixels are in some places visible but if you compare the mario from 64with ANY mario on the DS you'll see that the DS mario is closest to reality or lifelike (well not you because you're so closed minded with anything) graphics are unimportant as long as the gameplay still shines. and saying that the DS the best selling console in this generation has few games is just a anti-console statement.

seriously if you hate a console so much why do you have to bash it?? why you must bash anything that you don't own or don't have time to play with?? why can't you just leave other people alone with the games they expect the games they want (in this case tales of innocence)??? is a hobby for you to just come here and say "the DS is ridiculous/or this game is not worth to play becuase the graphics ARE TERRIBLE and just an all-around unnecessary approach to gaming " like the trolls you're supossed to hate?? you are the worst admin i ever seen seriously.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:22 AM   #19
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

I'm tired of quote wars so let me make this quick.

1) Having the option of using the D-pad would be nice, as I mentioned while talking about Phoenix Wright. Just like having the option of mounting the spin in Galaxy to a button would've been nice. I still miss with my spin because it registers late and I die. It's really annoying and it would be better without it. Does it make it a bad game? No, because everything else makes up for it.

2) I said the DS was probably better than the N64 in graphic output.

3) I also said I don't own a DS because I have no reason to have one. I don't need to play any games because I've already beaten the ones I was interested in. I don't ever go on road trips or have alone-time where I'm not at home on my computer with direct access to my own Wii and PS2 on my own television. I am never interrupted and I never have to share.

4) I'm not an admin, but even if I were, how would my opinion about a video game console make me a bad one? Come on now.