FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Afrobean
Default Re: RockBand. More Awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starshot View Post
My equipment is working just fine.

PS- Just 5-starred Suffragette City drums on expert =D
wtf

i just played it on hard and did pretty bad because of the weird kick rhythm and the ****ing snare attacks that you have to be super precise on

EDIT: man i thought i was getting better, but i guess i still can't do kicks on 8th beats... learn to fly hard just ****ing owned the hell out of me

These things are ranked by difficulty right? Because I'm 5 starring some of these and failing ones on the same tier... ****ed up.

Last edited by Afrobean; 12-14-2007 at 07:26 AM..
Afrobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 10:40 AM   #122
Telvanni_guard
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Telvanni_guard Send a message via MSN to Telvanni_guard

It's and odd curve. Most of the songs on the same tier are the same difficulty but some have patterns that can really mess up your 5 stars. For example. I can 5 star every song up until the last tier (and even some then) and Sweet still screws me over.

I suggest practice mode. I go in there and play the sections I'm having trouble fingering and a bit later I figure out what I'm doing wrong and wallah. Slowing the game down and speeding it up after a few will really help. It's sad that training is often overlooked.

Last edited by Telvanni_guard; 12-14-2007 at 10:42 AM..
Telvanni_guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 11:49 AM   #123
Tokzic
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Tokzic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starshot View Post
My equipment is working just fine.

PS- Just 5-starred Suffragette City drums on expert =D
Just watched this on YouTube.

Please tell me that this isn't one of the hard drum songs or I will cry, seeing as I just 100%ed it with my hands on my lap and my foot on the floor.

EDIT: Okay, I just watched Run for the Hills, which is fun but not ridiculously hard. Checking out the CSI song now.

EDIT2: THANK GOD THEY MAKE YOU PLAY THE FILLS

Last edited by Tokzic: Today at 11:59 PM. Reason: wait what

Last edited by Tokzic; 12-14-2007 at 11:57 AM..
Tokzic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 11:58 AM   #124
MalReynolds
CHOCK FULL O' NUTRIENTS
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to MalReynolds

I 5* Suffergate City, too. It really wasn't that hard.

I'm having a ton of trouble 5* Wave of Mutilation. I have trouble doing that kick thing - as I am not a drummer, I lack the vernacular to describe the parts. It's kick/Yellow, yellow/red, kick/yellow, yellow/red. Those things. I always start off fine, but then my timing gets all screwed up.

EDIT:

I also screw up "In Bloom" a whole lot.

"Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor

My new novel:

Maledictions: The Offering.

Now in Paperback!
MalReynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 12:03 PM   #125
Tokzic
FFR Player

What are some of hardest drum songs in the game?

Old 12-14-2007, 12:24 PM   #126
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalReynolds View Post
I 5* Suffergate City, too. It really wasn't that hard.

I'm having a ton of trouble 5* Wave of Mutilation. I have trouble doing that kick thing - as I am not a drummer, I lack the vernacular to describe the parts. It's kick/Yellow, yellow/red, kick/yellow, yellow/red. Those things. I always start off fine, but then my timing gets all screwed up.

EDIT:

I also screw up "In Bloom" a whole lot.
You've got to be ****ting me.

That is the simplest drum beat ever.

And I **** up In Bloom too, if I recall, because of kicks on 8th beats.

EDIT: yeah sufre****** city isn't anywhere near hardest, i could definitely at least pass it on expert

also note: when I say "pretty bad" before, i meant that i couldn't keep a decent combo like i wanted to but still ended up with at least ~90% and either at least 4 stars or almost 4 stars.

Last edited by Afrobean; 12-14-2007 at 12:31 PM..
Afrobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 12:47 PM   #127
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Squeek

@Tokzic: They've confirmed that Rock Band will be dropping in Canada-land in 6 days.

No need to hop the border to snag a US copy, unless you want to pay less, seeing as your dollar is worth more than ours.
Squeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 01:55 PM   #128
MalReynolds
CHOCK FULL O' NUTRIENTS
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrobean View Post
You've got to be ****ting me.

That is the simplest drum beat ever.

And I **** up In Bloom too, if I recall, because of kicks on 8th beats.

EDIT: yeah sufre****** city isn't anywhere near hardest, i could definitely at least pass it on expert

also note: when I say "pretty bad" before, i meant that i couldn't keep a decent combo like i wanted to but still ended up with at least ~90% and either at least 4 stars or almost 4 stars.
I mean, I can get them if they're spaced out or whatever, but when it's every other beat, my timing just goes all funky. It didn't help that I tried that some song about 15 times last night and exhausted myself.

I feel stupid, because I can 5* When You Were Young on Expert, but I can't get Wave of Mutilation or In Bloom.

"Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor

My new novel:

Now in Paperback!
Old 12-16-2007, 11:59 PM   #129
Afrombean
FFR Player

Quote:
I mean, I can get them if they're spaced out or whatever, but when it's every other beat, my timing just goes all funky. It didn't help that I tried that some song about 15 times last night and exhausted myself.

I feel stupid, because I can 5* When You Were Young on Expert, but I can't get Wave of Mutilation or In Bloom.
I think "We're the Konks" has a section that would probably help you. I think it's a kick on every beat, a snare on every beat, and a hat on every 8th beat. And if I recall, it comes in bursts, so it's not like other songs where you would be doing a pattern like that for half the song.

But yeah, that's like the most simple drum beat ever. Practicing it finger drumming would probably help too, because if you're having problems with it, it's all in your head.

Oh and by the way, I figured out a tip for anyone else having trouble with kicks on 8th beats: listen to the sound of the kick pedal "hitting". Not in game, but your actual kick pedal. As soon as I started listening to the sound of my pedal, I found I was able to hit the easier 8th beat kicks. Still having trouble in complex places (like in the majority of "Learn to Fly" hard), but I can manage the easier ones a LOT easier now.
Afrombean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 09:21 AM   #130
Tokzic
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeek View Post
@Tokzic: They've confirmed that Rock Band will be dropping in Canada-land in 6 days.

No need to hop the border to snag a US copy, unless you want to pay less, seeing as your dollar is worth more than ours.
Unfortunately, even though Harmonix has confirmed the release date as the 20th, shippers and retailers are shitting on that and delaying it all over the place with inconsistant and usually incorrect dates (usually until after Christmas - "WE MUST NOT MAKE MONEY WE MUST MAKE PEOPLE ANGRY HEHEHEHE") and jacking the price up to $200-250 for no reason whatsoever.

I hate Canada.

Old 12-17-2007, 03:50 PM   #131
_pandaman_
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Are any of you on Dead on Arrival on Expert Drums yet?

****ing most insane **** ive ever tried to ****in play. I can 4* Tom Sawyer but cant beat this ****in song.

Its so ****ing bad its grown on me.

I destroyed the guitar tour, 5*d blackened, Im doing hard vocals, although people online are telling me to do expert cuz i FC'd Flirtin With Disaster on Hard Vocals (that was a ****ing epic run too )

This game is seriously the greatest game of all time.

_pandaman_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 08:04 AM   #132
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

On the topic of Dead on Arrival: I had fairly recently gotten pretty into Fall Out Boy. A couple months back, I bought their full discography.

How is this relevant?

I never noticed how ****ing weird the drum patterns are in many of their songs until I played Dead on Arrival in this game. If you don't pay attention, the drumming sounds fairly normal, but it's actually really strange.

Also, I know I said this before, but I'm pissed that they picked a song from Take This to Your Grave and they didn't ****ing take Grand Theft Autumn. For reference: Dead On Arrival and Grand Theft Autumn. I mean, I think it's awesome that they didn't just take one of their recent singles, but I just don't think that DOA was their best older single. Basically every song on Take This to Your Grave is on the same level as DOA, and a lot of songs on Evening Out with Your Girlfriend are just as good or better.

And the more I think about it, the more I hope that they do a Rock Band 2 with more things involved with the drum kit. I hate how hat and ride are used interchangeably with toms, and crash and snare seem to be the only truly dedicated pad. Even the pedal seems to function as a hat pedal in some songs (most notably is Black Hole Sun), and heck, while I'm at it, I'd love to see a 3rd tom pad to work as a floor tom. Basically, I want there to be as many pads as a basic kit would have. As far as I'm concerned, there is no reason for the simulated drum kit to condense what could be a super complicated set into 5 different things. It's just stupid to have 3 cymbals function off the same pads as 3 drums (with only 2 dedicated pads out of the bunch: the snare and the crash). Also: I want my ****ing snare perpendicular to the ground, damnit.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:03 AM   #133
jellygod
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jellygod Send a message via Skype™ to jellygod

yea DOA on expert is pretty crazy, my bro can barely beat it on expert, i can beat it on hard but overall its a pretty hard song on any difficulty.
btw i returned my broken rockband in the box to best buy and got a whole new box , they say not to return any broken stuff to retailers, but you gotta love best buys return policy.

RETIRED
Rank 8 in regional ranking(Great Lakes)
"Never argue with stupid people, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
jellygod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 10:36 AM   #134
MalReynolds
CHOCK FULL O' NUTRIENTS
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

FINALLY got Wave of Mutilation. And I only missed a few beats the entire song.

I've decided I'm going to 5* everything before moving on, which adds Mississippi Queen to my list, but that song is just annoying. As is Maps. I love the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, but the drumming is just bleh.

My new novel:

Now in Paperback!
Old 12-18-2007, 03:32 PM   #135
_pandaman_
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
FINALLY got Wave of Mutilation. And I only missed a few beats the entire song.

I've decided I'm going to 5* everything before moving on, which adds Mississippi Queen to my list, but that song is just annoying. As is Maps. I love the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, but the drumming is just bleh.
Maps is ****in fun.

And really, if you wanna 5* everything before you move on.... you're gonna be sitting there for a while. A very, very, very long while.

Specially with like Go With the Flow.... geezus that song is intense.

Still stuck on DoA.

_pandaman_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 10:17 PM   #136
MalReynolds
CHOCK FULL O' NUTRIENTS
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Or most of them. I mean, really, I don't have enough patience.

My new novel:

Now in Paperback!
Old 12-18-2007, 11:14 PM   #137
PsYcHoZeRoSk8eR
Network Security Analyst
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to PsYcHoZeRoSk8eR Send a message via MSN to PsYcHoZeRoSk8eR

Well, I finally played this game. Played guitar on Expert at Best Buy >_>. Seemed a little weird, but then again, I've been playing a little too much GH3. I can't wait to get this and play it with a group of people, it looks like a lot of fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightdarkness
I'm light f**king darkness
PsYcHoZeRoSk8eR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 09:45 AM   #138
Telvanni_guard
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Telvanni_guard Send a message via MSN to Telvanni_guard

After you get used to the bars, you'll wonder why the hell Guitar Hero went to circles. Also: The smaller bars used for hammers/pull-offs make it much easier to tell the difference between the non-hammer/pull v hammer/pull when the notes are packed closer together.
Telvanni_guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 11:03 AM   #139
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

I just 5 star'd I Think I'm Paranoid with 98% on Expert. My only errors were doing double kicks on measures where I was only supposed to kick once.

Then, I immediately turned around and brutally failed In Bloom on Expert. Either these tiers are really messed up, or I excel in certain drumming techniques more easily than others, and the average gamer would excel in all techniques evenly.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:14 AM   #140
MalReynolds
CHOCK FULL O' NUTRIENTS
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrobean View Post
I just 5 star'd I Think I'm Paranoid with 98% on Expert. My only errors were doing double kicks on measures where I was only supposed to kick once.

Then, I immediately turned around and brutally failed In Bloom on Expert. Either these tiers are really messed up, or I excel in certain drumming techniques more easily than others, and the average gamer would excel in all techniques evenly.
It's not just you. There are just certain songs that are going to have sections that will trip you up completely.

I can almost 5* everything on Hard, but I cannot even pass Run to the Hills.

I'm not bad on Expert, but I can't get over 3* in Mississippi Queen.

There are just ones out there that take time to get.

My new novel:

Now in Paperback!