The Burning Building and Wheels:
http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/...wtopic&t=37533

The Signal and the Station:
http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/...wtopic&t=37589

The Source and the Problem:
http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/...=519781#519781

The Toystore and What They Forgot
http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/...wtopic&t=37744

The high noon sun beat down on the travelers as they slowly made their way down the West Side Highway towards the Holland Tunnel. The creatures were nowhere to be seen, miniature or full sized. The road was deserted. New York had turned into a ghost town in the span of hours.

They reached the mouth of the tunnel when Wheels finally spoke.

“It’s dark in there. I don’t see any lights. Do we have a light?”

They didn’t. And it was dark inside, swallowing the light from the sun but giving no hints as to what lay inside.

“Alright, let’s go back up a block or so. There was a Lowe’s back there. They should have some lights there,” Eric said.

And so the group began to move back, towards the hardware store. They reached the glass doors by 1 and had shot their way inside in a matter of seconds. The concrete floor was spartan and uninviting, but it was cool inside the building. It smelled of sawdust, wood, death, and it was completely silent as they entered. The ceiling fan display was still, hanging like ghosts in the warehouse.

Iggy walked over to the customer service phone and picked it up.

“Hi, we need to know where the flashlights are,” he said into the receiver, smiling.

There was a long pause as Iggy stood there, listening intently.

“Iggy, put the phone down. We want to make it to the other side of the tunnel by nightfall.”

But Iggy stood there, listening. He nodded and hung up the phone.

“Follow me,” he said, ducking into the bathroom appliances aisle. He briskly walked up to a shower display. Five bathtubs in a row all with showerheads and shower curtains, and stepped inside, drawing the cloth.

“Get inside a bathtub and hide, now. Do it.”

“But,” Eric began, “We ha-“

“Get inside now, don’t question this. Just go. NOW!”

Eric jumped into a shower and Gopher followed suit. Eric peeked out of the curtain and saw three hundred Mini-Creeps marched past, laughing. They were completely hidden as fifty Creeps followed.

Eric heard a door in the back slam shut and threw his curtain open. Gopher stepped out of his shower, but Iggy didn’t come out.

“Iggy, come on,” Eric whispered, sliding the veil open. Iggy was collapsed at the bottom of the basin, unmoving. Eric leaned down and began to shake him, but Iggy didn’t move. Gopher leaned down and smacked Iggy. He stirred and looked up.

“What the hell am I doing in a shower?”

“Iggy… There’s something not quite right with you, is there?”

“What are you talking about, Eric?”

“You picked up that phone and then got us to hide as our doom went marching past, none the wiser that something they were looking to kill was less than an six inches away.”

“I remember picking up the phone, and I remember someone talking to me telling me that the store still had Creeps in it, but I blacked out. I don’t remember anything after that.”

“There was someone on the other end of the line??

Iggy nodded.

“Well… Do you know where the line connected?”

“My guess is the reference desk.”

Eric held his hand out, and Iggy grabbed it, slowly rising to his feet.

“Let’s go get referenced,” Iggy said.

“We’re going to need to work on the ‘cool’ things that you’re allowed to say,” Eric said over his shoulder, taking point.

They made their way to the back of the store, keeping their eyes peeled for flashlights or the reference desk. They found the reference desk first, painted with blood and Behr acrylic.

“Hello?” Iggy tentatively called out.

Nothing.

Gopher walked behind the counter, bumping Wheels against the side of the island.

“Watch it,” he hissed.

The phone was off the hook, Gopher noted. He followed the line from the phone box to the receiver, still clutched in the hand of a corpse on the floor. The flesh was tainted green and a sick smile curved around its neck. The blood on the concrete floor had pooled and faded, staining the ground.

“Iggy, did you talk to her?” Gopher motioned?

Wheels sighed.

“No. I… She’s dead. How could I have talked to her?”

“Well, she’s the only one with the phone, now isn’t she.” Eric called from behind.

“Oh, look over there,” Iggy motioned to a display. “Flashlights. Let’s grab some and get out of here. It’s giving me the heebie-jeebies.”

Iggy began to walk to the display, eyes burning in the back of his neck. Eric stood motionless with Gopher, watching him as he grabbed four flashlights. He tested each one systematically before turning around.

“Look, I don’t know. I don’t know whom I talked to. Whoever it was had the capability of speech and wasn’t a corpse, alright?”

“Iggy, you know how you said you were going crazy? I’m beginning to take stock in that,” Eric said, grabbing a flashlight.

“I’m not really going crazy. There’s a logical answer for all of this, I know there is,” he said, laughing. “Now come on. Let’s get to the tunnel.”

As they left, the door behind the reference desk opened and the beady eyes of a Creep watched their exit with eagerness.

They hit the tunnel at 2, the sun in a move favorable position, shining more into the tunnel.

“I don’t want to go in there,” Wheels started.

“Well, you don’t have much of a choice considering you’re riding on his back,” Eric said.

“Riding on my back,” Gopher repeated.

“Yeah, man up Wheels! It’s just a tunnel.”

Eric took point, raising his gun and resting it on his flashlight arm. The walls were still teal, slick. There were a few cars jammed up in the entrance. He inhaled sharply and stepped up and over a Buick and into the darkness.

His beam of light cut across the infinity, revealing almost nothing. The ceiling was high; there were a few scattered cars with the windows busted, and the regulation door every twenty feet. Three other beams turned on behind him and he began to walk quickly.

They all could hear the water outside of the tunnel around them. The downward slope made them feel as if they were descending into the depths of some great pit. Wheels broke out into a cold sweat, unnerving Gopher. Wheels swung his flashlight erratically, trying to scan everything at once.

“I’m afraid of the dark, I’m afraid of the dark, oh… I’m so afraid of the dark,” he said, his voice quivering.

“Gopher, try and keep him quiet.”

“Keep me quiet? I’m afraid!”

“Keep quiet or I’ll shoot you, I guess.”

Wheels shut up.

There was a cross draft through the tunnel ruffling their clothes. It wasn’t carrying sound for there was no sound to carry on the Jersey side. All the breeze did was send chills through the party. Eric quickened the pace, walking quickly, dodging cars and the occasional debris. He could see the other end of the tunnel, the light at the end of the dark when the Creeps came.

They were laughing and screeching, crying out and dragging their swords of the tile walls creating a hideous noise reminiscent of nails on a chalkboard. They were behind them and closing the gap.

“RUN!” Eric cried out.

Iggy screamed, his legs pumping, past Eric. He chucked a fireball behind him, casting shadows over the walls. The ball rolled down the tunnel, the Creeps shadows becoming more defined, dancing towards the source.

Gopher was carrying weight for two, and mis-stepped. He fell to the ground, the creatures almost on them. Eric fired blindly into the tunnel, hitting nothing, but scaring the group back a little. Gopher rose to his feet and began to run.

He could feel the hands on his back.

“RUN FASTER, GOPHER! OH GOD! RUN FASTER!” Wheels cried. “OH PLEASE RUN FASTER!”

He tried, but the things grabbed hold of Wheels.

“OH GOD!”

The tennis ball fire died out.

Wheels slipped out of the harness and into the arms of the Creeps.

“COME BACK! PLEASE!”

Gopher ran ahead, free of the weight.

“YOU SAID YOU WOULD NEVER LEAVE! PLEASE! NO!”

At the mouth of the tunnel, Eric and Iggy stood, watching Gophers flashlight bounce towards them, and watching Wheels’ bounce away. Wheels’ light bounced towards the back. They watched the light spin as it hit the ground in circles, and they watched the things drag him into a service door.

“We have to keep moving. We have to keep moving or they’ll be on us.”

They ran. They ran out of the tunnel and into the daylight, they ran onto the bridge and they kept running until they were on the New Jersey highway. But the things were still behind them. Ten or fifteen, the group motive restored, ready to kill anything.

Again the Creeps were closing the gap, when Eric stopped running and turned around. He pulled his gun up and fired into the group, scoring three hits. Twelve remained. Gopher turned and tried to fire his Glock, but to no avail. Iggy prepared a Fireball, which bounced into the group taking out two.

There were still ten. Eric’s clip ran dry, and he unloaded the gun.

The three stood in a row, across two lanes of highway, the mass of evil moving towards them.

“Gopher, hit the clip release on your gun. I have three shots left in there…”

“Where is it, Eric?”

Eric motioned on his own gun, and Gopher hit the release, dropping the clip to the ground. Iggy tossed another fireball, but this one flew wide. A Creep swung at it with its sword, knocking the ball back at Iggy, setting his shirt on fire.

He screamed, pulling it off and batting at the flames on his chest. The group closed the distance.

“What is that noise,” Eric asked. “It sounds so familiar…”

It grew louder and louder, until Eric recognized it.

The car plowed into the group of Creeps, slamming on the breaks and sending the car into a huge skid. It took almost all of them out. The man in the car leaned out, shooting the three remaining that were trying to crawl away. Smoke rose from Iggy’s chest and Eric stood with his mouth open. Gopher didn’t move.

“You guys need a ride anywhere?” The man in the car called.

“Uh… Yeah, we’re heading to a radio station.”

“LRPS, right? I’m from there. Hop in.”

The three made their way to the car, opening the back door and sitting down in the leather-clad interior. Eric rode shotgun.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you all. My name is David Fichter, but my friends call me Fichter,” he said, hitting the gas, peeling out and driving into the heart of Jersey City.

"Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, Ill give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor

My new novel:

Maledictions: The Offering.

Now in Paperback!
MalReynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-2-2005, 01:30 PM   #2
natetheffrer
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to natetheffrer
Default RE: Creep World: The Holland Tunnel and The New Wheels

Nice product placement there, of course the creeps are at Lowes, thats the place to be!
Old 11-2-2005, 04:24 PM   #3
Tasselfoot
Retired BOSS
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Tasselfoot Send a message via MSN to Tasselfoot Send a message via Skype™ to Tasselfoot

Mal, would you mind confining future parts of your story into this or the original thread? Its starting to clutter the forum.

Thanks.

Other stories can of course have their own threads, but as this is all one story, and already has 6 threads... well, you get what I'm saying.
Old 11-2-2005, 04:42 PM   #4
MalReynolds
CHOCK FULL O' NUTRIENTS
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to MalReynolds

I'm thinking about just stopping posting it here. No one really seems to be reading it either way.

Mal

"Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, Ill give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor

My new novel:

Now in Paperback!
Old 11-2-2005, 04:54 PM   #5
Tasselfoot
Retired BOSS
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Tasselfoot Send a message via MSN to Tasselfoot Send a message via Skype™ to Tasselfoot

Nate and I are reading it.... and the other ones seem to be read by 30-40 people... about the most you could expect here.
Old 11-2-2005, 05:16 PM   #6
Eyoshi
Certified Calendarwhore
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Eyoshi Send a message via Skype™ to Eyoshi

Wow, two assumable deaths already, and this probably isn't even close to the half-point of the story. The feelings of fear and terror used make the characters seem a lot more realistic. Nice writing.

I guess I'm one of the other regulars who've read the story as it continued. And I think it's best if each installment got it's own thread, as the initial post will just look too long if each chapter was crammed into it, and the thought of having to rummage through different pages for one chapter doesn't seem like a way that would make someone inclined to read it. Just my thoughts, though.
Old 11-2-2005, 05:31 PM   #7
Varia
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Varia Send a message via MSN to Varia Send a message via Yahoo to Varia

haha, Wheels is a loser.

ARE YOU HOMOSEXUAL?

I THINK SO
Varia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-2-2005, 05:59 PM   #8
nickadeemus
The spice must flow.
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to nickadeemus Send a message via MSN to nickadeemus Send a message via Skype™ to nickadeemus

I am reading them all, they're fun.

The story is reminding me of The Langoliers, and I loved that movie. Iggy seems to have something similiar to what the little girl did in that movie.
nickadeemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-2-2005, 06:31 PM   #9
Tps222
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Tps222 Send a message via Yahoo to Tps222 Send a message via Skype™ to Tps222

Don't be silly Mal, we all love them.

Puns are fun.

Your attempt at an emotional death was some-what effective.
Tps222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-2-2005, 08:51 PM   #10
Varia
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Varia Send a message via MSN to Varia Send a message via Yahoo to Varia

Speaking of Wheels again, why is it entitled "The New Wheels"?

ARE YOU HOMOSEXUAL?

I THINK SO
Old 11-2-2005, 09:08 PM   #11
MalReynolds
CHOCK FULL O' NUTRIENTS
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

The car is the set of "New Wheels". It was meant to be... Misleading?! MUAHAHAHA!

And it is. Very.

Mal

My new novel:

Now in Paperback!
Old 11-3-2005, 12:45 PM   #12
MalReynolds
CHOCK FULL O' NUTRIENTS
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Doing the new chapter in here, today.

The Other Survivors and The New Threat

They rode in silence for a few minutes, Fichter continually shifting gears and dodging dead or stalled out cars. He had the radio on, but nothing was coming through but static. If there was any life in Jersey, it wasn’t making itself present as of yet.

Eric flipped down the sun-visor and three CD’s spilled out onto his lap. “The Best of Queen” fell face up. Eric scanned the dash for a CD player but found none. He stacked the CD’s again and put them back, snapping the visor back in place.

The sun broke through the buildings they drove past playing tricks on the eyes of the passengers.

“So… What’s your story?” Iggy asked from the back seat, the first to speak since the car ride began.

“What?” Fichter called, not turning around.

“I mean, we all ha-“

“Iggy, drop it. None of this story shit now. Let’s just go meet up with everyone else.”

Fichter began to laugh. It was more of a giggle, really. Eric began to get worried.

“You’re talking like there’s some kind of army there. There isn’t. Sorry to break the news like that, but since I left, there were three people there excluding myself.”

“That raises a question. What were you doing out? I mean, that was fairly lucky for us, all things considered. You saved our lives back there.”

“We gotta eat sometime, don’t we? I was on a food run. I’m the only one that does food runs. I’m the only one that knows how to drive stick in our group.” He paused. “Any of you fellows know how to drive stick?”

Iggy frowned, “No, sir, I just got my license a few months ago.”

Gopher didn’t move.

“What about you?”

“Nope. I can drive an automatic, though, if you have one of those at the station,” Eric said.

“Yeah, like I’d be willing to go on the food runs all the time if there was someone else just as capable. Actually, I would. It’s a rush, to be honest with you. Not anymore. I’m almost out of bullets,” he said, tapping the police issue berretta that lay across his lap.

“Same. I think I have three shots left in here. Is there a police department around here?”

“It’s where I got this. I had to break into a desk just to find a gun, so I don’t think we’re going to have any luck finding weapons. The station was picked clean.”

They rode in silence again, until Eric spoke.

“That bothers me. The station got picked clean and yet I haven’t seen anyone else out there like us. Where did they all go?”

“They probably got killed. These things, singularly aren’t that bad. I’ve killed a couple of em’ myself, but I’m a shit shot, so I don’t do it too often. It’s when they get into groups… They just rampage. It’s insane. You can take one down, but it just seems to renew their vigor. Deadly. I don’t like it one bit. Here we are,” Fichter said, pulling into the loop of the station.

The four walked to the front door and past the reception desk, into the back break room. There were three flashlights on the break table that created a makeshift lamp that haphazardly lit the small room. Sitting at the table was a woman.

She was older than all of them, but not by much. From the looks of it, she was twenty-five or twenty six, with blonde hair down to her shoulders. It was beautiful and matted, tangled yet statuesque. She smiled when Fichter walked in, and the room lit for Eric.

She stood up and flipped her hair behind her shoulder. Eric’s heart skipped a beat.

“Well, looks like we have some new comers to the fort! My name’s Angela. It’s a pleasure to meet you,” she said, extending her hand towards Eric.

He shook her hand limply, unable to speak. Iggy took her hand next and brought it up to his lips, quickly kissing it.

“My name is Ignatious, but these lads call me ‘Iggy’ for short,” he beamed.

“My name is Tom. But you can call me Gopher, and this is Eric.”

Eric still stood rooted to the spot.

“Is he all right?”

“Sometimes he locks up,” Iggy smiled. “All you have to do is control-alt-delete to reboot, right?”

“What?” Angela asked.

“Uh… Nothing. It was a computer joke. I didn’t think…”

“Oh.”

“It wasn’t funny, so…”

“Alright,” she said, heading back to her seat.

Angela pulled a package of mini-muffins from the busted out window of the vending machine, opened it and passed them around. Iggy hungrily ate his, while Gopher just picked at it. Eric had finally taken a seat, and was staring across the table.

“What’s the damage?” Fichter questioned.

“Steven went to the storage closet outside to get batteries a minute ago, he should be back any second now.”

“What about Fred?”

There was a pause.

“Fred left.”

There was another pause.

“Did he say why?”

“He said he was tired of waiting for people to get here. Said they were never going to come. He took his shotgun and left, and I haven’t heard from him since. He could be back. You know how emotional he got,” Angela frowned.

Minutes later, the break room door swung open. A tall man in a dirty blazer stepped through, tossing his brimmed hat casually on the table with one hand while tossing battery packages on the counter with the other. There was dirt on his face, but his rosy cheeks still burned brightly through. He smiled and his eyes twinkled as he saw Eric, Iggy and Gopher.

Angela jumped from her seat and ran over to him, pressing her lips against his.

“I’m glad you’re back,” she said.

“So am I,” he said, smiling, looking into her eyes.

“Steven, this is Iggy, Gopher and Eric,” she motioned to the three seated around the table. “Guys, this is my husband, Steven.”

Eric frowned as Iggy and Gopher stood to shake his hand. He took their hands and pulled them in for a tight bear hug.

“It’s just so goddamned good to see other people alive. This is great. I couldn’t be happier. “

Eric finally stood and coldly offered his hand from across the table, blocking the hug.

“It’s good to see some other people that are alive, as well,” Iggy said.

“So, do you all have any kind of plan? Or are you just going to wait here to die,” Eric said.

All eyes turned to him. No one spoke.

“You don’t have a plan? Good. I was better off in the Holland Tunnel,” he said, sitting down.

“Well, no, that’s not true. We have a plan,” Steven said. “We’re waiting for more people and then we’re going to head out to a deserted island. There are dozens of em’ just scattered around. We could head out there and wait it out. It’s a good plan, but we would have liked to have more people for it.”

Eric scowled, “Your plan is straight out of Dawn of the Dead. You really think that’s going to work? Do you even have a boat?”

Steven shook his head, “No. But other people did. It’s all a matter of finding one that runs off of a sail. It’s so hard to find anything that runs off of gas that still works now.”

Eric opened his mouth to retort when there was a bang at the front door. Steven made his way out of the break room and looked out down the hall. He saw the figure of a girl pressing herself against the locked glass doors and hollered back into the break room, “We got another live one out there!”

Eric, Gopher, Fichter and Angela all fled from the room towards the front door.

Iggy didn’t move from his seat.

“Don’t. Don’t open the door,” he whispered, before regaining composure and running down the hall to the others.

“Don’t open the door! Don’t do it! STOP!” He cried out as the door swung open. Iggy turned his flashlight on and ran the beam across the face of the stranger.

Gina’s eyes didn’t dilate and the light burned her retinas. She was wearing a twisted grin of pain across her face, her clothes bloody. Gina turned to Eric, who was now smiling.

“Iggy! It’s your sister!”

“No… It’s not. It’s not her. Something is wrong.”

But Eric didn’t listen. He was too busy giving her a hug. He pulled away from her just as she tried to bite him, and he shoved her against the door.

“What are you doing, Gina?”

Angela and Steven backed away. Fichter pulled Eric back.

Drool began to run from her mouth in thick rivulets, pooling on the floor. She cocked her head to one side and began to walk towards Eric.

“Gina, stay back. Iggy, say something to your sister.”

Iggy didn’t move. He had blacked out again against the reference desk.

She moved closer and stretched her arms out, trying to catch Eric between them. He held his gun up.

“Don’t. Don’t come any closer. Tell us what’s wrong.”

She hissed and stepped forward. Eric looked over his shoulder, “Sorry Iggy, I got to.”

He fired a shot into her leg. She took another step forward and blood shot out as she put her weight down on it.

“What the fu-“ Eric managed to get out before she got a hold of him. He threw her arms to either side and tried to push her back, but she was strong. Too strong. He kneed her in the stomach, but to no avail. She stretched her head down and snapped her teeth at him.

Gopher picked up a chair and swung it against her back, the force of the blow knocking both the Gina thing and Eric to the floor. Eric’s gun flew out of his hand. It didn’t faze her; she was inching closer to his neck.

“GOPHER, DO SOMETHING!” Eric cried out.

Steven charged forward and delivered a kick to her head, which sent her reeling backwards and off of Eric. She sat in the corner with her hand around her face trying to reorient herself.

“Someone kill her!”

The shot rang through the radio station, resounding through the walls of the building. The smell of gunpowder filled the air. Her head jerked backwards and the window cracked from the force.

“Thank you, Gopher,” Eric said, turning around.

Iggy held the gun in his hand from behind the reception desk, his face a mask of pain. He dropped the gun to the counter and slid into the receptionist chair. Tears fell down his face as he began to weep bitterly.

“Thank you, Iggy,” Eric said, correcting himself. “I’m sorry you had to do that. I don’t know what was going on. I’m sorry you had to kill… I’m sorry.”

Iggy sobbed and looked up, his glasses wet with tears. “It wasn’t her. It looked like her, but it wasn’t her. I don’t know what that was, but it wasn’t…”

“It acted like a zombie,” Gopher said.

“Yeah, well, zombies aren’t real, now are they,” Eric said angrily.

“Gee, neither are creatures three feet tall that like to stab things, are they?” Iggy growled.

“Unless you count little people with knives,” Eric nodded.

“What a time for jokes,” Angela called out from behind them. She took Iggy into the break room. Steven was still staring at the Gina thing that rested against the cracked glass. Gopher moved back into the break room.

Fichter was the first to speak to Eric.

“Well… I thought it was kind of funny. Need to work on your timing, though,” he said, patting Eric on the back.

Eric turned to Fichter.

“Maybe they broke her. I saw them carry her away. Maybe they just drove her crazy. There might be fun in that… For them, I mean. I don’t understand how… Why she would try to bite me. She didn’t even say anything.”

Steven walked back to the break room.

“Well, this is what I learned: Things don’t make much sense anymore. Let’s head back to the break room. And apologize to Iggy.”

Eric stood in the doorway.

“Iggy, I’m sorry.”

Iggy nodded, and Eric walked in.

“I’m sorry, but this is also a problem. I know this isn’t the best time to bring this up at all, but we have to leave here. We have to leave here now.”

All eyes turned to Eric.

“Eric, I think you should just calm down,” Angela said.

“No. Look at it this way: We know that wasn’t your sister out there, Iggy. But it found us. It found you. If something like that can find us, then the others must not be far behind it. What if it was sent to find us? To find people? The Creeps could just follow it in here, and here we are, under-armed and emotionally unstable. So I’m going to say it again. We have to leave here now.”

The group silently stood and followed Eric past the reception desk and into the parking lot. They stood by Fichter’s car when Iggy collapsed to the ground again, in pain, clutching his head.

“Too late,” he said, looking up at the group from the pavement.

My new novel:

Now in Paperback!
Old 11-3-2005, 05:50 PM   #13
Eyoshi
Certified Calendarwhore
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Does Iggy have a special trait unknown even to himself? Hmm...

Nice job, as usual. I like how the chapter was more of an emotional one, and it also raises some questions about the Creeps, such as if they're intelligent or not. After all, maybe sending in the "zombified" Gina maybe just for the purpose of reconnaissance...
Old 11-4-2005, 12:07 AM   #14
Varia
FFR Player

The Gina thing was pretty random.

ARE YOU HOMOSEXUAL?

I THINK SO
Old 11-4-2005, 12:19 AM   #15
MalReynolds
CHOCK FULL O' NUTRIENTS
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Not random, but coincidental as you'll find out in a bit.

I'll just tell you; there are more zombie things. But their origins are a big deal, and the fact that the one to track our heroes down was Gina is pure coincidence on behalf of The Creeps.

Mal

My new novel:

Now in Paperback!
Old 11-4-2005, 02:03 AM   #16
nickadeemus
The spice must flow.
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to nickadeemus Send a message via MSN to nickadeemus Send a message via Skype™ to nickadeemus

Perhaps when adding new parts to the story, update the title with the newest section?
I am also having an Iggy vision in which Steven dies at some point, and Eric tries to fill in but is rejected.
nickadeemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-4-2005, 05:30 AM   #17
Tps222
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Tps222 Send a message via Yahoo to Tps222 Send a message via Skype™ to Tps222

Too soon Mal, you should have waited a little longer to re-introduce Gina. Too much is happening too fast character wise. I understand why you made her come out, but you could have changed her you know what location.
Tps222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-4-2005, 12:38 PM   #18
MalReynolds
CHOCK FULL O' NUTRIENTS
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

“What are you talking about, Iggy? Too late?”

“Behind you,” he weakly motioned.

Eric spun around, pulling his gun up. He watched the tree lined entrance to the parking lot, but nothing came in. He waited.

“Iggy, are you sure you saw something?” Eric hunched down to ask him.

There was a distinct roar behind them.

“Yeah, I’m sure.”

Eric saw the shadow before he saw the actual creature. It had a thick, blocky body with two mechanical claws that protruded from the angular torso. It wasn’t walking, but floating into the parking lot at an alarming speed, sashaying back and forth as if trying to maintain some kind of balance. Its neck was at least a foot long, but it was hard to tell due to the position of the head. The head was jutted forward, making the neck arch up and back down again. It wore the face of a human, but there was no mistake about it. Whatever the hell this thing was, it was a monster.

“What the hell is that thing,” Steven asked, backing up towards the station.

The things eyes focused on Steven and he seemed to freeze, their eyes locked. Blood began to drip from his nose and tears began to fall from his eyes.

“I didn’t mean to cheat on you, Angela,” Steven said.

No, Steven didn’t say it… He mouthed it. The voice was coming from the creature.

“But your sister was a better cook. I’m sorry, but I have to go,” the creature said. Steven began to walk towards the creature.

“I know you cheated on me, we went to counseling for that!” She cried out, running to her husband. He swung his arm and backhanded her. She fell across the car and looked up.

“Something’s wrong, you guys.”

“Well no shit,” Eric said, aiming his last shot. He squeezed the trigger; the bullet flew across the parking lot, and past the monsters head.

Gopher and Iggy looked at Eric, puzzled.

“I just missed?”

Fichter backed up, trying to get into his car to retrieve a gun, when the creature met eyes with him and he blacked out.

Steven was already at the creature, which was resting one hand on his shoulder. It set its eyes on Angela, who froze.

“I’m married, but I want more.”

Gopher ran at the thing, which swung its head at him. He was clothes lined by its neck and he fell to the pavement.

“When Eric walked through those doors, I almost wanted Steven to stay out looking for batteries.”

Eric looked at Steven, who was still in a trance. Was he hearing any of this?

Blood began to drip from her nose, and she walked towards the thing slowly. They weren’t fighting to pull at all, being drawn like a dead fish.

“I have to go,” she mouthed, and the creature said absent-mindedly. A small hand rested across her shoulder, and she closed her eyes.

The thing swung its head towards Iggy, locking eyes. Iggy rose to his feet and began to walk towards the creature.

“I’m sorry I let you die, sis,” it said.

Iggy stopped. He shook his head, but soon began walking again.

“I wasn’t strong enough,” it continued.

Iggy froze in his tracks. Rage coursed through his veins. The tables had flipped. No longer was the creature looking into Iggy’s eyes, but Iggy was staring the creature down, his steely glare terrifying to Eric.

“I didn’t let her die,” he called out.

The creature shook its head, and stared back at Iggy, who took one forceful step forward.

“I DID NOT LET HER DIE!” He spit, screaming so loudly that his voice echoed back from the building through the silent parking lot.

The creature began to shake its head again, trying to stare back at Iggy. Iggy maintained his stance, one foot forward, one foot back, a look of pure hatred in his eyes towards the creature.

“If you didn’t let her die, then who did,” the creature hissed in its own voice, snakes and bursting pipes instead of a true voice, the words hard to make out.

“I didn’t!”

“THEN WHO!”

“ERIC!” Iggy screamed.

“Hey, wha-“ Eric said from behind Iggy.

“AHHHH!”

The creature’s head began to bow. The neck moved in irregular patterns, creating waves in the creatures gray flesh. Blood began to dole out of its eyes, and its body began to sink to the pavement. Its head fell to the pavement before its body, the neck fully stretched out. The body hit the ground and fell over, the claws raking across the back of Angela and Steven.

It turned and looked back at Eric remorsefully, before letting out one final hiss and succumbing to death.

Angela and Steven collapsed to the ground simultaneously, against each other.

“What the hell was that all about?” Eric cried out. “Am I the only one that was thoroughly upset by this?”

He turned and surveyed the area. Gopher was still out on the ground, Fichter almost beneath his car. Iggy too had blacked out.

“Well, shit, guess I was.” He slapped Iggy lightly, who came around.

“I remember most of that.”

“Oh, do you?”

Iggy nodded.

“Do you remember the part where you’re blaming me for your sister’s death?”

Iggy nodded again.

“We’re going to need to talk about that at some point. Clear some things up, alright?” He extended his hand to Iggy, who took it. Eric helped him to his feet.

“So, Mr. ‘I Just Killed That Thing By Staring It Down’, you wanna help me get everyone back in the station? Anything else coming this way?”

“Not that I can tell.”

“That’s something we’re going to have to talk about soon, too. Just what exactly you can tell. And what happened out here with that thing.”

It was a matter of fifteen minutes before everyone was back in the break room. All of them had exceptionally painful headaches, save for Eric, who was relaxing with a cupcake.

“Iggy’s got some things to say,” he said, taking a bite, getting cream on his upper lip. “So, without further ado, Iggy.”

“Alright. First of all, that thing wasn’t the conventional Creep.”

A murmur rose through the room.

“Yes, well, it seemed a great deal smarter. It got into your minds. Started to control you, although I don’t think anyone would remember that.”

“I do,” Eric said from the back.

“I don’t think anyone would remember that that was actually affected by the creature, smartass.”

He chuckled from the back.

“But you never spoke. The voice was coming out of the thing. It was like it was melding with your mind or something, controlling you that way. Got you all to say things. Secrets and the like.”

Steven looked up.

“Like what? What did it say?”

“That you were unfaithful to your wife at one point.”

He let out a sigh of relief.

“She already knew about that.”

Angela turned.

“Is there anything else I should know about?”

Steven shook his head.

“No.”

She turned to face Iggy.

“Did I say anything?”

There was a long pause as Iggy thought about the question.

“No. You didn’t. Eric killed it before you had a chance to speak.”

Fichter piped up from the table.

“I thought he was out of bullets?”

“I miss-counted. All it takes is one shot. They don’t call me ‘Bulls Eye’ for nothin’,” he said, finishing the cupcake.

“They don’t call you ‘Bulls-Eye’ at all,” Gopher said.

“Here’s the game plan, kids. We’re going to camp it here for the night. Our sources tell us that it should be safe, relatively speaking. Iggy, Gopher, we’re going to alternate front door shifts. Iggy and I will be first, then Iggy and Gopher, then Gopher and I. Rotate every four hours. Tomorrow, we get the hell out of Jersey.” Eric paused. “If only because it smells funny.”

Iggy had taken a seat as Eric dragged the body out of the lobby and into the conference room.

“Alright, you blame me for her death?”

“I never thought I did until just a minute ago.”

“What’s the deal with that? She wouldn’t let Gopher throw her. There was nothing we could do about it. I was already on the other side.”

“We were hiding out in our building. She had gone down the street to get canned food when she found one of your fliers. She wanted to meet up with someone else, I didn’t. She said it sounded safe, I said it didn’t. I said my vote should count for something, she said it didn’t.”

“So that’s it?”

“More or less.”

Neither of them spoke. Angela began coughing from the back room.

“Is there a reason we lied about who killed the thing, Iggy?”

He nodded.

“What do you reckon that reason is?”

“Because I don’t exactly know how I killed it.”

“I got some theories on that myself, but I’m going to keep them with me for a little while longer. I’m going to keep an eye on you, Iggy. I think you got something going on in your mind that you don’t know about yet. I’m curious as to what exactly that is.”

“So am I, Eric.”

There was another pause, the cloud shadows moving across the parking lot, streaming in through the glass double doors, blanketing the two in quasi-darkness.

“So, she likes me,” Eric finally said, breaking the silence.

“Yeah, but you can’t know that around her. She might not even know that yet. That thing out in the parking lot-“

“The Mind-Melder?”

“Cool name. Yes, it made you say things it knew you didn’t want to. But I don’t think they even knew what they were saying. I mean, I know they didn’t know, but I don’t think that she even knows she has feelings for you.”

“I wouldn’t call them feelings. We just met. It’s more of a lusty type deal.”

“Whatever it is, it wouldn’t surprise me if she didn’t know about them at all. I didn’t really blame you for Gina’s death until I really thought about it, tonight. Maybe that’s something it does. You think it could implant thoughts into your mind?”

“I have as much information as you do.”

“Actually,” he said, smirking, “I have a little more.”

“What?

“When the thing was dying, it was like it let go of its thoughts. I found out some things.”

“For instance…”

“It did use the zombie to track us. It had some kind of mental hold on it, telling it where the zombie went. That’s how it found us so quickly.”

“Is that all?”

“Nope. Found out some more about the zombie, too. Standard rules apply, apparantley.”

“What?”

“The Melder was worried that the infection would spread through other Creeps. They already have five or six under quarantine that were bitten or scratched, that turned. You get bitten, you get scratched, you turn. Standard zombie rules. Simple.”

“Huh.” Eric grunted.

They sat in silence for the rest of the shift, watching the moons light dance through the breaks in the clouds. When four hours turned up, Gopher walked from the break room, groggy, wiping the sleep out of his eyes. He nodded to Eric who was beginning to fall asleep.

“Iggy, I’m going to tell them about the standard rules tomorrow. In case we run into another. Can’t have them risking what they got when the danger ramps like that. But everything else is between us right now.”

Iggy yawned.

“See you in four, Eric,” he said, drawing in a large gulp of air.

Eric half saluted and turned, patting Gopher on the back and heading to the break room.

My new novel:

Now in Paperback!
Old 11-4-2005, 02:20 PM   #19
Eyoshi
Certified Calendarwhore
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

The Mind-Melder was pretty cool, but I thought it should have been introduced later in the story. I think the impact on the characters would have been better if this happened after a longer period of time to develop firenships and other relationships.
I alos liked how this "infection" also applies to both humans and the Creeps. It gives the sense that there is a third side in the fight.
Old 11-4-2005, 02:41 PM   #20
MalReynolds
CHOCK FULL O' NUTRIENTS
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Well, all in all you all have read about thirty five pages single spaced, which translates into around 105 pages in a novel. I felt it was time to step things up a tad. It's going to move pretty quickly from here, I think.

Hope it does. I've got some ground to cover. A lot of ground.

Mal

My new novel:

Now in Paperback!