Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-9-2004, 08:03 PM   #1
Kefit
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Kefit
Default How to change Stepmania's arrow speed mods

Method 1 (by Kefit)

I figured that this deserved its own topic, as there are probably enough people who would like to know how to do this. So I'll just copy and paste it from the topic I first posted it in.

Go to your Stepmania folder.

Open up the Themes folder from within the Stepmania folder.

Open up the default folder from within the Themes folder.

Open up the metrics.ini file with Notepad (if the computer wants to open it up in Wordpad, let it).

Do a search for "[ScreenOptionsMaster]". Right underneath that you will see a block of text that looks like this:

# Player options
Speed=11
SpeedDefault=mod,1x
Speed,1=mod,0.25;name,x0.25
Speed,2=mod,0.5x;name,x0.5
Speed,3=mod,0.75x;name,x0.75
Speed,4=mod,1x;name,x1
Speed,5=mod,1.5x;name,x1.5
Speed,6=mod,2x;name,x2
Speed,7=mod,3x;name,x3
Speed,8=mod,4x;name,x4
Speed,9=mod,8;name,8x
Speed,10=mod,C200;name,C200
Speed,11=mod,C400;name,C400

This is where all of the speed mods are set up. You can probably figure it out from here on your own, but just in case, here is a breakdown of what one of the lines does. Lets take this line:

Speed,4=mod,1x;name,x1

The part that reads 'Speed,4' means that it is an arrow speed mod and that it shows up as the fourth selectable choice on the list of arrow speed mods on the Player Options menu.

The "mod,1x" part is what the mod actually does - the speed of the arrows will be multiplied by the number you put here. As far as I know, Stepmania can handle pretty much any multiplier you put here. For a constant bpm mod, just put C followed by a number instead of a number followed by x.

The "name,x1" is just what the name of the mod will be on the options screen, and has no bearing on the actual arrow speed. However, sometimes the name of the mod won't show up on the Player Options screen at all, in which case you just need to select the blank space where the mod should be in order to use it (look at the box that tells you what arrow speed mod you have selected if you need to know what a blank spot is).

As far as I can tell, you can add however many mods you want. Just make sure that any lines you add for new mods follows the syntax of the lines already there. Oh, and make sure that whatever number follows the "Speed=" right underneath "# Player Options" is equal to the total number of speed mods you have, or else some of them won't be selectable.

Have fun.

Method 2 (easier version by deposition)

Use my program to instanly change your speed mods (even in game).

Updated download link:
http://rapidshare.com/files/55291810/SpeedModEditor.exe

Things to know: You dont have to fill in every text box, if you just fill in one my program will just update that one mod for you and not whipe out the rest.

For multipliers type the x after the number. Ex. 3x not x3
for Cmods make sure you use a capital C

To change the speed mods in game hit f2 anywhere in stepmania but the 'players options' (where you see the speed mods).

Edit: Don't really browse forums anymore but I heard that the link was down. I lost the code so I just rewrote the program really fast and included the language.ini step people are wanting, and it now makes a backup of both ini files before it does anything. Haven't really got to test it too much so tell my how it works.

Original thread
http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/...ad.php?t=19367

Last edited by jimerax; 01-20-2008 at 07:09 AM..
Kefit is offline   Reply With Quote