Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Video Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2015, 11:36 AM   #21
Tps222
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Tps222 Send a message via Yahoo to Tps222 Send a message via Skype™ to Tps222
Default Re: Cities: Skylines

Reach, I've noticed similar things happening after most of the population became well-educated.
Tps222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 12:05 PM   #22
Reach
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Reach Send a message via MSN to Reach

Yeah, I think that's the problem. My commercial zones are being abandoned even if I build them when commercial need is high.

The reason for abandonment is always a lack of supplies, which lead me to believe I just need more factories. However, when I try to build new factories they also get abandoned due to lack of workers.

So my only explanation is that, right now, high education = residential and office only. Strange, really. I think they should fix it.
Old 03-13-2015, 12:50 PM   #23
andy-o24
Private Messages, please.
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to andy-o24

Could you have low level buildings in one area that consists of heavy industry and has limited availability to education. That way your commercial zones can get supplies from there and the limited education ensures your workers will still populate the factories. I've not played, but maybe that could work.

-o24

When the game isn't fun for you anymore, take a break. It's not a job, nobody here is professional and getting paid to play and force themselves to constantly improve... it's a game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashakiro View Post
Yeah, FFR is addicting...I don't think I'll get bored with this game unless I somehow become the best at it, which won't happen.

Last edited by andy-o24; 03-13-2015 at 12:53 PM.. Reason: Runons make no sense.
andy-o24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 04:09 PM   #24
Reach
FFR Simfile Author

Not sure, maybe but right now I don't have any isolated residential areas to test it. Might test it soon.

PSA though; be EXTREMELY CAREFUL with your water supply later in the game. I was coming up on 150k pop when I almost shit myself as I watched my entire city RIP, population dropped to like 50k and I lost millions. The entire city collapsed, tens of thousands sick with tens of thousands of bodies.

I couldn't figure out for the life of me what on earth happened, but apparently when I was fooling around and placed a dam for fun and then removed it, I shifted the water currents. Some of the water flowed backwards and got into one of my intakes and that killed pretty much the entire city. Thankfully I saved early enough into the apocalypse to prevent the genocide after I figured out what happened.

Last edited by Reach; 03-13-2015 at 04:10 PM..
Reach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 04:21 PM   #25
25thhour
I like max
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach View Post
Not sure, maybe but right now I don't have any isolated residential areas to test it. Might test it soon.

PSA though; be EXTREMELY CAREFUL with your water supply later in the game. I was coming up on 150k pop when I almost shit myself as I watched my entire city RIP, population dropped to like 50k and I lost millions. The entire city collapsed, tens of thousands sick with tens of thousands of bodies.

I couldn't figure out for the life of me what on earth happened, but apparently when I was fooling around and placed a dam for fun and then removed it, I shifted the water currents. Some of the water flowed backwards and got into one of my intakes and that killed pretty much the entire city. Thankfully I saved early enough into the apocalypse to prevent the genocide after I figured out what happened.
Holy shit, lmfao.
Old 03-13-2015, 04:56 PM   #26
Arntonach
Owlbears Rock!

Are you seriously trying to figure out how to impliment uneducated people so your city can grow?
Arntonach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 07:51 PM   #27
Tps222
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Tps222 Send a message via Yahoo to Tps222 Send a message via Skype™ to Tps222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arntonach View Post
Are you seriously trying to figure out how to impliment uneducated people so your city can grow?
Yeah, if you give access to university level education to all districts of your city then you wind up having a population that is overqualified for factory work. Lack of factory workers kill commercial development and leads to urban decay.

On a side note: I wish that enabling steam workshop mods didn't automatically disable steam achievements. I enjoy the auto-save every 10 minutes mod, I wish it was an actual feature in the game.
Old 03-13-2015, 08:16 PM   #28
choof
Banned
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

fuuuck, I don't have enough money in my account to buy this
working for cash has it's cons, this looks really sick

edit: shit I couldn't play this anyone because it doesn't support intel integrated gpu

once I get a pc again I'm definitely buying this

Last edited by choof; 03-13-2015 at 08:17 PM..
choof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 10:02 PM   #29
Poison-
Nope
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tps222 View Post
Yeah, if you give access to university level education to all districts of your city then you wind up having a population that is overqualified for factory work. Lack of factory workers kill commercial development and leads to urban decay.

On a side note: I wish that enabling steam workshop mods didn't automatically disable steam achievements. I enjoy the auto-save every 10 minutes mod, I wish it was an actual feature in the game.
P sure I did this to my city. Gg
Poison- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 10:55 PM   #30
Reach
FFR Simfile Author

Quote:

I'm not sure if an only residential/office city actually has technical downsides, though it doesn't look nearly as aesthetic as if you have commercial and factory zones.

I figured out how to get factories going even with max education; simply leave them up and let them become abandoned. Bulldoze it and then when it rebuilds, people usually work in them. My commercial zones became extremely dense after the fix and implementing a large factory area.

Though right now I'm plateaued at around 165k and can't figure out why the city won't grow. I've tried just about everything, but it's stuck, despite not really having any problems at all.
Old 03-13-2015, 11:12 PM   #31
Tps222
FFR Player

Have you purchased all the surrounding tiles?
Old 03-14-2015, 01:02 AM   #32
Poison-
Nope
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Does anyone else find building new cities as fun as I do?
Poison- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 01:42 PM   #33
Reach
FFR Simfile Author

Quote:
Have you purchased all the surrounding tiles?
No. Does that influence anything?

I haven't bought them all because I've used at most 4 tiles of space. Been trying to maximize density on Manhattan island to make it as realistic as possible while also trying to hit the 1 million cap, though I can't really do that if I'm stuck at 165k XD

I'll fool with it tonight.

One complaint I have about the game is the lack of transparency when it comes to problems; some are self evident and easy to check, but the twitter feed often isn't very useful and sometimes a critical and catastrophic problem with your city is not evident at all.

For example, since I created an alternative save, despite the fact that a SINGLE water line getting sewage in it killed 100k people in less than a year and basically caused the zombie apocalypse, when I go back through the feed there is actually only a single comment about the water pollution at all. One comment, and it's not even clear. The problem also doesn't show up on any feeds whatsoever other than if you specifically go into pollution, and even then the only thing it shows up as is a % pollution of your water.

Catastrophic or critical issues with the city should be more transparent. That's probably the one thing simcity did well. I remember in 3000, you would get huge red flashing warnings all over the news if something like that happened.

Last edited by Reach; 03-14-2015 at 01:47 PM..
Old 03-14-2015, 02:12 PM   #34
Xiz
TWG Chaos
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Xiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poison- View Post
Does anyone else find building new cities as fun as I do?
Yes

Xiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 06:11 PM   #35
Reach
FFR Simfile Author

The population plateau problem was apparently garbage buildup at my port. For whatever reason, garbage trucks weren't going there. I just destroyed them and it fixed my problem pretty quickly. =/

225k now: http://i.imgur.com/5EEZR9K.jpg

I'll see how far I can push this. 165-225 was no problem. Still no dead body problems. Crematoriums spread evenly has prevented it so far. If anything, the only problems I'm having are fringe areas near the corners of the map building up with garbage. Industry is thriving now and allowing for some dense commercial development.

edit: 275k: http://i.imgur.com/GcI5fgB.jpg

Aaaannnnnddd...I think I'm done with the quest for 1 million. After 250k, demand goes to 0 and nothing happens. I've tried everything, the city completely stalemates you. I'm getting like 5k pop growth an HOUR at this point no matter what I do. I just idle the game because it's so damn boring to play. Everyone is happy, everything is maxed and there are no problems. Dropping taxes/promoting does nothing either. Demand just continually sits at 0.

Is there any solution to this or have they just ...not done anything with the endgame for this game yet? =/

Starting something new, going to be going for creative designs at this point since playing after 200k is god awful.

Last edited by Reach; 03-15-2015 at 01:59 PM..
Old 03-15-2015, 03:26 PM   #36
Tps222
FFR Player

Sitting at about 90k now, spent 2 hours optimizing and redesigning my highways because I never realized there are arrows that show intended flow of traffic.

EDIT: Bird's eye view: http://i.imgur.com/v4wspVO.jpg

Heart of Downtown: http://i.imgur.com/sFI2F6e.jpg

I like bridges: http://i.imgur.com/1XhgWYD.jpg

Last edited by Tps222; 03-15-2015 at 03:34 PM..
Old 03-18-2015, 11:02 PM   #37
Reach
FFR Simfile Author

wThat's a sexy looking city.

Working on NYC on and off; @ 360k right now. Still slow but steady growth. No problems whatsoever. Haven't run into any death walls or anything like that yet, just painfully slow growth. I mostly just build roadways and occasionally plop down a block of land. Otherwise I let it idle in 15 minute chunks.

I'm using maybe 10 tiles. I need to increase density if I want to hit 1 million but that's easily possible since I have a lot of wasted space.

I'm not even convinced industry or commercial is even needed in a large city, which is completely broken. Once I hit 400k I'm going to experiment with a slow removal of my industry entirely. Right now the only way to get growth is ...massive, massive amounts of office. Office needs to go down at like a 2:1 vs residential or the city just doesn't grow. It's kind of annoying and extremely broken; I hope they fix it. In the end, I could save even more space by deleting offices slowly and replacing them with residential in small blocks, the game seems receptive of that.

But yeah, huge bugs that need fixing. No commercial or industry? Ok. There's a bunch of other ones too. For example, traffic is seriously bugged in bigger cities I think. I fixed my traffic problem by ALLOWING astronomical traffic jams along a main bridge and freeway into the city...and it clears up the rest of the city. It never, ever gets any worse even as the city grows, but if I fix that area, traffic in the rest of the city gets jammed up. What the fuck? I've just been leaving this horrendous traffic jam there because the AI is so dumb they refuse to reroute into an otherwise clear city.

A related bug is related to public transport. I actually deleted my bus terminal and got rid of all stops and even ditched my subway, and it alleviated a lot of traffic.

In the meantime, mostly been working on San Francisco. Good fun. Have it up to 40k already.

Edit: There's a new patch with fixed demand.

Edit 2: 800k with fixed demand: http://i.imgur.com/TesalJH.jpg

Starting to lag. Not sure how much more my CPU can handle tbh. Going for 1 mil though unless my machine blows up.

Last edited by Reach; 03-19-2015 at 02:29 PM..
Old 03-19-2015, 09:28 PM   #38
Reach
FFR Simfile Author

No idea if anyone cares, but I broke a million.

http://i.imgur.com/7YUwpIj.jpg

1.02 million and still growing, though the game breaks around 900k. You get an error 'cannot place any more objects of this type' when you try to build anything other than res/com/ind or roads, so your options are supremely limited at that point.

It also lags and causes my cpu to run so god damn hot it's not safe to let it idle for more than an hour or so at a time.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:38 PM   #39
Izzy
Snek
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ylinething.jpg

I think my city is coming along. Just bought this game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach View Post
No idea if anyone cares, but I broke a million.

http://i.imgur.com/7YUwpIj.jpg
What the fuck.

Last edited by Izzy; 03-25-2015 at 07:39 PM..
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 09:11 PM   #40
Reach
FFR Simfile Author

1.048 million is the absolute maximum. Barely filled half of the 25 tiles to build that too.
Didn't get to do any Queens or Brooklyn, and the game is broken at that pop and I can't place any more objects to make central park etc so I pretty much dumped that city.

Working on more creative designs now though and will be avoiding any population maxing madness.

That's a cute city design you got going on there Izzy 8)

Last edited by Reach; 03-25-2015 at 09:12 PM..