Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2009, 11:42 AM   #21
perfectchaoslemon
Banned
FFR Veteran

Default Re: What happens after we die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollocephalus View Post
It happened to one of my cousins. He died like we was supposed to, before of after. No need to be a whiny pussy about what you cannot change.

So if you cannot picture something just because is doesn't fall into the range of your perception/abstraction, it doesn't exist? I'm dying to hear what is your mental perception of UV rays. Or a black hole. Or any other thing we do not have a direct experience of yet. I'd also be happy to listen how do you conceive god, since you guys always say it's unconceivable. By your thought pattern, it also doesn't exist.
1. So in other words you weren't close to him at all.

2. UV rays and black holes have been proven. God is a divine power that persists above us and we as humans can get a general idea of his presence. Nothingness, however, just seems to me like an incomprehensible idea. I mean can you seriously picture nothingness? It's not complete blackness because that blackness IS a something.
perfectchaoslemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 11:52 AM   #22
MrRubix
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

1. You can be close to someone/care for someone and respect their memories without needing to assume they still exist in some sort of spiritual format. If you're going to approach it like "Dead people just rot in the ground," that's your own take. Even though dead people do rot, that's not what we need to really care about.

2. I won't get into God in this thread, but you're right that nothingness isn't "blackness." Nothingness is nothing. It's what life was like for you before you were born -- nothing.
MrRubix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 11:56 AM   #23
25thhour
I like max
FFR Veteran

My father died when I was 6. Sure it was a sad sad time. I really believe that when you die you just become a ghost or you go into the ground. Sometimes I can feel his presence in a room and I just get shivers.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:01 PM   #24
Mousethecat
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRubix View Post
My response to it all is simply to seek happiness.
Nothing anyone says could be more meaningful than this statement. If there's any one indisputable fact of life, it's that Happiness > Unhappiness.

Death is the end of life. There's always nothing after the end, for if there was, it wouldn't be an end. Concentrating on death is just a complete waste of time. Unless you're trying to avoid death, in that case you're doing the exact opposite. You're giving yourself more time.

The only thing that will persist of you after you are dead, is the changes you cause that affect the future.

- Having a child. Making sure you pass your wisdom on to them, and they pass it to theirs.
- Making a scientific breakthrough. I don't need to list examples of people who have made a huge impact on what we know today, and may not know without them having done the work they did.
- Saving someones life.

Every small thing is a brick to building a better future. Having the most bricks should be the goal of anyone who wants their life to have meaning.

The future will remember and thank you.

Last edited by Mousethecat; 12-18-2009 at 12:03 PM.. Reason: spelling lol.
Mousethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 12:09 PM   #25
perfectchaoslemon
Banned
FFR Veteran

Quote:
1. You can be close to someone/care for someone and respect their memories without needing to assume they still exist in some sort of spiritual format. If you're going to approach it like "Dead people just rot in the ground," that's your own take. Even though dead people do rot, that's not what we need to really care about.

2. I won't get into God in this thread, but you're right that nothingness isn't "blackness." Nothingness is nothing. It's what life was like for you before you were born -- nothing.
Well the fact of the matter is, you don't know what that was like. Back then, that nothingness was temporary until you were born and conceived, and I'm pretty sure nobody knew about this nothingness while they were in the state. It's like unconsciousness, it feels like it happened in one millisecond. After you die, will it be the same thing? Won't you eventually be aware of the nothingness? Or will it keep spanning every thousand years per millisecond without an end?
Old 12-18-2009, 12:17 PM   #26
MrRubix
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectchaoslemon View Post
Well the fact of the matter is, you don't know what that was like. Back then, that nothingness was temporary until you were born and conceived, and I'm pretty sure nobody knew about this nothingness while they were in the state. It's like unconsciousness, it feels like it happened in one millisecond. After you die, will it be the same thing? Won't you eventually be aware of the nothingness? Or will it keep spanning every thousand years per millisecond without an end?
Why would you ever be aware of nothingness? It's NOTHING for a reason. If you're dead, you're no longer perceiving. Your eyes, ears, nose, nerves, etc will no longer work, and neither will your conscious, self-conscious, or any other form of sentience/perception/identity/inner monologue/etc. All of these things reside in the brain, and when the brain stops working, so do all those functions.

We know what nothingness was like because we don't remember experiencing anything before we were born. This would make sense, considering we didn't exist. When we die, we return to that state of non-activity.
MrRubix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 12:56 PM   #27
Izzy
Snek
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousethecat View Post
Nothing anyone says could be more meaningful than this statement. If there's any one indisputable fact of life, it's that Happiness > Unhappiness.
But at the same time I don't believe happiness is greater then the truth. Just being happy through ignorance of the world is a huge problem because it slows down the progression of humanity by preventing us to find the truth sooner.

If you want to believe something yourself that's fine, but you are just the worst kind of person if you try to force it on your kids or other people.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 01:02 PM   #28
Plan_Bsk81127
snooches

Send a message via AIM to Plan_Bsk81127 Send a message via Skype™ to Plan_Bsk81127

After you die, it is just like before you were born.
Plan_Bsk81127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 01:23 PM   #29
Mousethecat
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
But at the same time I don't believe happiness is greater then the truth. Just being happy through ignorance of the world is a huge problem because it slows down the progression of humanity by preventing us to find the truth sooner.

If you want to believe something yourself that's fine, but you are just the worst kind of person if you try to force it on your kids or other people.
I couldn't agree with you more.

Finding happiness in the sad truths is what separates intelligent enthusiasts from the rest of the world. I just couldn't accept someone as intelligent if they couldn't understand and accept what is truth.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:21 PM   #30
spreadNv
FFR Player

I picture being dead just the same as a night's sleep when I couldn't remember any dream. Nothingness that I'm not even aware of.
spreadNv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 02:49 PM   #31
GG_Guru
Let em' do what they want
FFR Veteran

You can't really tell what happens when a person dies because we haven't experienced it ourselves. The closest thing to dying would be falling asleep. One thing I can tell you for sure is that, life is a cycle and when we die our bodies become part of the earth. We will end up decaying and rotting away as time passes until we become reborn again. Now, I don't want to make any assumptions because I know what I speak of is based off pure theory, but wouldn't it interesting if life restarted over again and we were not aware of it? That question strikes undeniable ignorance to science but there are things we still do not know. I don't believe in creating a hypothesis because I myself don't have the power to do so and claim it a fact, but there mere thought of reincarnation is something worth looking into.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:01 PM   #32
perfectchaoslemon
Banned
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Why would you ever be aware of nothingness? It's NOTHING for a reason. If you're dead, you're no longer perceiving. Your eyes, ears, nose, nerves, etc will no longer work, and neither will your conscious, self-conscious, or any other form of sentience/perception/identity/inner monologue/etc. All of these things reside in the brain, and when the brain stops working, so do all those functions.

We know what nothingness was like because we don't remember experiencing anything before we were born. This would make sense, considering we didn't exist. When we die, we return to that state of non-activity.
We don't remember experiencing anything because it happened in an instant. Now you're telling me you know that there's nothing confusing to a permanent loss of consciousness. Explain to me exactly how it's possible to experience nothing for an infinite amount of time. It's not. All you're saying is that it's like before we're born, but that is temporary. There was an end to that nothingness, and there came life. Unconsciousness to the mind is completely skipped over. You can't skip over something that is infinite, so within that there must be some sort of realization.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:02 PM   #33
cixOclock
FFR Player

I know a lot of people have already said this. But death is just like sleep, I mean when you sleep a dreamless-sleep you don't even remember what happened.
Or if you pass out and come back.
Its sad that people have to die... theres no reason for it, I wish I remember what science article it is, but they went into detail about how a body has the capability to regenerate itself forever. I'm really not sure what magazine it was in, but I remember reading about it.
cixOclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 03:07 PM   #34
Mollocephalus
Custom User Title
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Mollocephalus

reincarnation can indeed happen, but not really in the same way people think, especially if you take soul translation into consideration. the atoms that compose a body will disassemble and eventually enter another life cycle. however, that does not mean that the group of atoms that compose a living being, defining the beginning and end of such living being, will transfer to another one. Even if that could happen, the two living beings would only be sharing the same "blocks".
Old 12-18-2009, 03:11 PM   #35
Flaming_Dingleberry
Everybody gets one.
FFR Veteran

LET'S START A NEW THEORY!

Uhh, okay... let's say the nanosecond before you die, you start dreaming. Now you're dead, but one molecule in your brain is still dreaming. Now you continue your life as an atom/molecule/something really small. You'll never wake up, you'll just be floating around, dreaming dreams and such. Sweet, let's make a religion out of this, FFRers unite!
Flaming_Dingleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 03:12 PM   #36
awein999
(ಠ⌣ಠ)
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to awein999

A more interesting thought is learning how to live life to the fullest:

A lot of people get too worried about little aspects of life. It's really all just a perspective issue.

example 1: At my stage in life, being a senior in high school, my fellow classmates are scared to death about not getting into a "good" college. What does that mean? One that is respected by society? Probably for most. They worry so much about something that really doesn't matter, you are getting into a college that's for sure, you go to Weston High School wake up, and maybe you might even like a small lesser known college more than an ivy.

example 2: Getting a well respected job after college. People work so hard for that status, but what if you enjoy being a janitor more? Or being a gym teacher? Or a sexologist? You have to ask yourself "what do I want in life? What makes me happy?" The true answer to that is usually different from the current day sociatal expectations.

My stance on death is that the fear is illogical because you can't feel pain when you are dead. The fear of death is just an evolutionary illogical fear. Death is like the ultimate peace. We will likely never accept what death is (or isn't). From consciousness we can speculate, but only that, which is why it is so unsatisfying to a lot of people.

"Matter flows from place to place
And momentarily comes together to be you
Some people find that thought disturbing
I find the reality thrilling" --Dawkins

Last edited by awein999; 12-18-2009 at 03:18 PM..
awein999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 03:15 PM   #37
Izzy
Snek

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectchaoslemon View Post
We don't remember experiencing anything because it happened in an instant. Now you're telling me you know that there's nothing confusing to a permanent loss of consciousness. Explain to me exactly how it's possible to experience nothing for an infinite amount of time. It's not. All you're saying is that it's like before we're born, but that is temporary. There was an end to that nothingness, and there came life. Unconsciousness to the mind is completely skipped over. You can't skip over something that is infinite, so within that there must be some sort of realization.
Why are you having so much trouble with this... Of course you can't skip over something that's infinite because that is the point. You don't skip over it, it just keeps going. You are infinity non existent after that point because you have no more brain to observe.

I'll repeat it. There is nothing confusing about a permanent loss of consciousness.

Experiencing nothing for infinity isn't any more complicated then nothing for 1 year or 10 years. It just keeps going. It's not so much experiencing nothing because really you wouldn't be experiencing at all. It's just straight up nothing forever. You will be nothing forever when you die. Assuming you is "you" as a whole. Your atoms will probably be distributed among other things.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 03:18 PM   #38
cixOclock
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by awein999 View Post
"Matter flows from place to place
And momentarily comes together to be you
Some people find that thought disturbing
I find the reality thrilling" --Dawkins
Wait what? When your body deteriates it becomes earth molecules. Dirt. So are you saying that reptiles pass on their atoms from one generation to the next?
Everything is made up of atoms, those atoms collect on your shoes and such, but in no way do those dirt molecules transfer to sperm and eggs.

I'm not sure if this is what you mean, atoms move around yes, but it doesn't cause conciousness to travel. Your thoughts aren't atoms, strange thought.
But yeah.

Last edited by cixOclock; 12-18-2009 at 03:20 PM..
Old 12-18-2009, 03:20 PM   #39
Mollocephalus
Custom User Title
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Mollocephalus

i think dawkins wanted to point out both the irony and the fascination in being part of such a great cycle.

and also mock people who try so hard to seek something else than the obvious.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:23 PM   #40
cixOclock
FFR Player

Mmm gotch'yah. Ohwell, when your dead your dead, its just sad that we die when our bodies have the potential to live 300 or more years.