Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Life and Arts > Art and Graphics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2009, 10:05 AM   #1
Mythix
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Mythix
Default My apache HQ render (56k/1200*p)

Yeah I made it on Keybeat because FFR forums was down, which it isn't anymore

Anyways, my newest 3D project: It took around an hour to render (no vRAY or other heavy settings, just regular materials etc) polycount is (without smoothing groups) 17k. Took around 12 hours to complete, and I'm not exactly done I will tweak it alot as it's not animation friendly at ALL right now. But good enough to upload here, I guess.

Also, the new HD renders are big. ALSO, they are JPEGS so if I werent such a dumb idiot I wouldn't render a HD picture and save them as jpegs, I have -no- clue why I would do something as stupid as that. I'll fix it though.

Durururu... Please point out everything you don't like as this my first serious project that's not school related.. Also, I have coded it now, doesn't tell you much but all parts of the chopper (rig) has rotation/moving limits now so it behaves as a real helicopter. =)

Also.. As a teaser I am modelling Cissnei
Old 11-29-2009, 02:02 AM   #2
richyrich55
Wait... what?
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to richyrich55
Default Re: My apache HQ render (56k/1200*p)

lmfao that doesn't look anything like an apache. It look's like an apache's diarrhea.

And to be even more of an ass:

Apache.

Btw:
http://membres.lycos.fr/wings2/3vues/apache_1_3v.jpg
http://membres.lycos.fr/wings2/3vues/apache_2_3v.jpg

Blueprints lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRubix
I may be an ass, but I'm usually a very correct ass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rushyrulz
I'm like, totally in love with like, Justin like Bieber. I like don't just like, like him.. I like, like like him. Like totally.
R.I.P. Jellygod

Last edited by richyrich55; 11-29-2009 at 02:09 AM..
richyrich55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 02:10 AM   #3
richyrich55
Wait... what?
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to richyrich55

I kinda have a thing for Apaches lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRubix
I may be an ass, but I'm usually a very correct ass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rushyrulz
I'm like, totally in love with like, Justin like Bieber. I like don't just like, like him.. I like, like like him. Like totally.
R.I.P. Jellygod
richyrich55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 03:28 AM   #4
darkshark
Nothing.
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to darkshark Send a message via MSN to darkshark Send a message via Yahoo to darkshark

Richy's post wins.
Go back and at least look at a picture of an apache while modeling it if you don't have blueprints...because like it was said, that looks absolutely nothing like an apache, and wtf is with those missiles xD

Nice reflections though?
darkshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 08:24 AM   #5
Nullifidian
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

As far as I can tell you have a serious lack of self-discipline and self-criticism. Your models are still way too basic.
Be critical about your own work and add more details. Use reference material, there's nothing wrong with doing that.
But right now this is just a shiny blob with blades on top.

Also, when will you start modelling parts seperately? lol
How is anyone able to get in this thing?

And one other thing. Why don't you try something original? All the work I've seen by you is of existing and unoriginal items, like cars etc.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:26 AM   #6
Mythix
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by richyrich55 View Post
Sup
Sup Rich.

I used the blueprints. It has the same shape as an apache, the only two parts I left out is the giant thing I replaced with a ait vent (since it looked gay to me) and I'd rather have a curvy shape than that thing below the windows, that again, I'm not sure what is. The rest is like it though.

I didn't know it was that -not- reflecting, though. I've seen Panturals apache vids and figured it was as glossy as that. In even more honesty, I did use Crysis vids too.

/looks for early phase pics

So "nothing like an apache" is sorta rough I feel MY HEART </3

I'll unwrap an armor plating to see how that works out, but I hate unwrapping stuff since idc too much about textures on models I make for no apparent reason.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:43 AM   #7
Mythix
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by _.Spitfire._ View Post
As far as I can tell you have a serious lack of self-discipline and self-criticism. Your models are still way too basic.
Be critical about your own work and add more details. Use reference material, there's nothing wrong with doing that.
But right now this is just a shiny blob with blades on top.

Also, when will you start modelling parts seperately? lol
How is anyone able to get in this thing?

And one other thing. Why don't you try something original? All the work I've seen by you is of existing and unoriginal items, like cars etc.
Last part answer = wat?

There's nothing wrong with my self critisism, though, my dicipline.. Well, probably some. But I don't exceed a certain point of details with my model for stuff I can fix with a displacement map, bump maps or opacity maps. I used alot of reference material, I'm actually sorta surprised the model turned out this badly to you guys that you would draw a fact that I didn't even use blueprints for it.

(sorry if I sound like a kid btw, I appreciate your critisism; I really do. Please stay this aggressive when criticising otherwise there would be nothing to think about for me, really)

I have rigged it, frozed all rotation points so it's impossible to do weird stuff. You can't rotate the propels any directions, they automaticly follow a cylinder aligned to the chopper when you push the chopper, the door can only be rotated in Z axis; and between 0 and 80 only. Windows/doors can rotate and open fyi =p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g--OLvQKnY

I don't know if that link works yet but I've uploaded me moving it just to show how to get in it xD
Old 11-29-2009, 09:17 AM   #8
Nullifidian
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythix View Post
Last part answer = wat?

There's nothing wrong with my self critisism, though, my dicipline.. Well, probably some. But I don't exceed a certain point of details with my model for stuff I can fix with a displacement map, bump maps or opacity maps. I used alot of reference material, I'm actually sorta surprised the model turned out this badly to you guys that you would draw a fact that I didn't even use blueprints for it.

(sorry if I sound like a kid btw, I appreciate your critisism; I really do. Please stay this aggressive when criticising otherwise there would be nothing to think about for me, really)

I have rigged it, frozed all rotation points so it's impossible to do weird stuff. You can't rotate the propels any directions, they automaticly follow a cylinder aligned to the chopper when you push the chopper, the door can only be rotated in Z axis; and between 0 and 80 only. Windows/doors can rotate and open fyi =p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g--OLvQKnY

I don't know if that link works yet but I've uploaded me moving it just to show how to get in it xD
Alright, I retract my statement about the parts thing. :P
But it seems like it's modelled as one single object, cause the edges are way too smooth etc.
If you are gonna model something realistically, you still should model seperate parts as seperate parts, cause you know, a real helicopter isn't one giant chunk of metal either.
If you are gonna do a low poly model, then yeah, most of that stuff can be fixed with a texture, but looking at the pics, this doesn't look very low poly lol.

And what I meant with trying something original. All I see you model is existing objects, like cars, choppers, e.v.e.
Cars and helicopters and what not have been done thousands of times and pre-existing models already exist.
Come up with your own design and model that if you want to add something unique to your portfolio.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:27 AM   #9
Mythix
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by _.Spitfire._ View Post
Alright, I retract my statement about the parts thing. :P
But it seems like it's modelled as one single object, cause the edges are way too smooth etc.
If you are gonna model something realistically, you still should model seperate parts as seperate parts, cause you know, a real helicopter isn't one giant chunk of metal either.
If you are gonna do a low poly model, then yeah, most of that stuff can be fixed with a texture, but looking at the pics, this doesn't look very low poly lol.

And what I meant with trying something original. All I see you model is existing objects, like cars, choppers, e.v.e.
Cars and helicopters and what not have been done thousands of times and pre-existing models already exist.
Come up with your own design and model that if you want to add something unique to your portfolio.
I touched 3d studio max for the first time in August, everything I do I do for educational (spelling) reasons only, to progress with the different techniques etc (spelling again).

Oh you are right about me modelling it as one piece, but I do that on purpose and then I detach all the parts later to get it seamless. I'll try to model stuff apart next time, but as I said I do it for the exercise mostly (edge flow, connect, smoothing tests etc) and it's not -that- important for me it's photorealistic so I don't feel like having to plan much before I model. I sorta just find something and begin.

My livingroom modelling was with plans, obviously, since it was important. This is for fun >:]

I want to create something of my own, really, but I like the availibility of references when modelling stuff =p I'll try next time!
Old 11-29-2009, 09:48 AM   #10
Mythix
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Holy cow I just realised something, my door opens the wrong way LOL /facepalms
Old 11-29-2009, 05:04 PM   #11
darkshark
Nothing.
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to darkshark Send a message via MSN to darkshark Send a message via Yahoo to darkshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythix View Post
Oh you are right about me modelling it as one piece, but I do that on purpose and then I detach all the parts later to get it seamless.
I don't know if you noticed this or not, but helicopters aren't seamless.
darkshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 05:32 PM   #12
MrRubix
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

I think the helicopter would look better as a combination of different pieces with varying shades/etc. Right now it honestly reminds me of a large, shiny sex toy -- especially the second picture.

But it's all part of the learning process -- just keep on trucking and posting and you'll get it down.
MrRubix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 05:37 PM   #13
Mythix
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkshark View Post
I don't know if you noticed this or not, but helicopters aren't seamless.
my life is a lie

And Rubix thanks.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:06 PM   #14
ogmsband
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

It doesn't look bad, just an apache from about 30 years in the future.
ogmsband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 03:06 AM   #15
Mythix
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogmsband View Post
It doesn't look bad, just an apache from about 30 years in the future.
Crysiiiiiiiis =D

Next time I will make something and call it omfgwow hifi jizz so I can glossify (probably not a word) as much as I want since I obviously have a bad habit of making things excessivly glossy >.>
Old 12-1-2009, 01:53 PM   #16
Mythix
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

So yeah I got sad of my old wireframes so I fixed them to the best of my ability (the cars, that is) The bugatti was made in september, and the Z4 september/october, with HORRID wireframes may I add. Anyways now I know the ropes better so I removed all isolated vertexes and other odd ass bugs, and I fixed the materials (added my homemade carbon to them) and I think it look cool so I decided to update it. Other than fixing them (not beginning on stuff that would take forever, then I'd rather start over) such as under them, windows wrongly attached to the wheels (not so visible but the Z4 you can clearly see it the top right corner). I also faked a door and fixed the grease part on my bugatti. Fronts are still the same, cba box modelling them. I will though, when I animate a short movie (inspired by PANTURAL on youtube) with them for laughs.

Here's all 3

So as I said, no new material, really. And yeah all 3 have different tweaked materials, allthough the cars are pretty similar.
Old 12-3-2009, 12:48 AM   #17
Renevatia
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

looks like bugatti veyron and apache had a child
Old 12-3-2009, 03:11 AM   #18
Mythix
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renevatia View Post
looks like bugatti veyron and apache had a child
Meh I just felt like including it, neither of the cars were made after I learned how to cut and connect to get TS to divide correctly but they're cool enough for me to include >:]