Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Video Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2013, 12:23 PM   #1
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Default No longer interested in gaming :(

Making this thread because it was spawned forth from the Steam thread. Discuss!
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:23 PM   #2
yo man im awesome
soleil ardent
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: No longer interested in gaming :(

I expected this to be a Doug31 thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by choof View Post
you double dad loving dipshit
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rogdor View Post
dammit now i have to smoke a picture of choof out of a bong
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartdude1212 View Post
I can't be the only guy who has wondered what it'd be like to menstruate all over the shower.
yo man im awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:24 PM   #3
~Zeta~
Flag Master
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

no longer interested in spending money.
~Zeta~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:26 PM   #4
TheSaxRunner05
The Doctor
FFR Veteran

No longer interested in penis

TheSaxRunner05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:36 PM   #5
dragonmegaXX
ITG playing fur
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSaxRunner05 View Post
Interested in longer penis.
Yes
Old 07-16-2013, 12:46 PM   #6
dAnceguy117
new hand moves = dab
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

this should be a fun little discussion, haha.

there are a ton of reasons to like video games and a ton of reasons to get tired of playing them. what are the biggest incentives to keep you going? if you feel like you're getting burned out, why?

I used to play a lot of games. I spend like 90% less time now than I did five years ago. I haven't decided the reason(s) why for myself yet. here's a possible list:

- busy with other things
- not a fan of new games
- already have too many games
- changes in the way I think and feel, in general
- afraid to sit down and embark on a 50+ hour "adventure"
- preference toward other online communities vs. strictly gaming ones

will make more extensive post later. I like this thread. do not derail plz
dAnceguy117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:48 PM   #7
Poison-
Nope

I feel the same way, kind of.

I'll go 3-4 months without playing a single game, and then play for maybe 2 weeks, then repeat.
Poison- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:52 PM   #8
~Zeta~
Flag Master
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Lack of replayability in games steers me away from buying/playing them.
~Zeta~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:57 PM   #9
PrawnSkunk
Administrator
User Administrator
AdministratorDeveloperFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

You've just burned yourself out.

Why don't you find playing video games enjoyable anymore? Do you feel that you have better things to do? Are games restricting you from finishing more important things and you feel shit about it?

If you can't get motivated to play or finish games, perhaps you are playing them for the wrong reason. If you're gaming purely to kill free time, then you will never be able to fully enjoy yourself. Give yourself a break, relive the classics or change how you play the game.
PrawnSkunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:05 PM   #10
infinity.
sideways 8
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to infinity.

i feel bad when i play games nowadays. like i could be doing so many more important things or literally anything constructive

while it's nice to have hobbies i've gotten to this mentality that my hobbies should atleast be constructive. while there is much to gain from gaming, very little of it will actually have any applicability in the real world

nerds
infinity. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:15 PM   #11
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

I think it's because games feel like work to me now.

Now that I work fulltime, when I get home, I want to *relax*. So if I choose to spend that time playing a game, I find that everything has become a tedious grind.

Candy Crush, for example -- it's super popular right now, but ffs, I am hating it. Sure, there's some strategy involved, but if you plug away at any given level long enough, then by sheer chance alone you'll eventually get some wicked sprinkle/candy-wrapper combo or whatever that'll demolish the board and get you ahead. Otherwise, most of your time is spent finding combos that are futile in the long run because they don't get you much in the way of points or progress. So the game, as a whole, becomes an exercise in persistence. I even wrote a macro that operated on piss-easy rules and sure enough, it plugs ahead level-by-level, bit by bit. No human element is required whatsoever.

Even action games feel slow. Bioshock: Infinite just felt like a story with big open-field battles peppered here-and-there, and that was literally it. The Last Of Us is boring me to tears and I sincerely wonder why so many people are raving about it. It's piss-easy, linear as hell, and the story is too predictable.

I did enjoy Deus Ex: Human Revolution if only because there was a variety of gameplay mechanics involved. Just enough linearity to prevent it from becoming an aimless Skyrim timesink, and just enough choice to keep things interesting with the risk tradeoffs. The ending(s) and the way they could be chosen, though, I thought was silly.

The new Tomb Raider just made me feel sad. It was an interesting game in itself, but it wasn't Tomb Raider. It's Tomb-Raider-in-name-only. It doesn't have the feel of the old series in terms of any mechanics whatsoever, and doesn't even borrow the same music style (let alone the THEME SONG). It's a completely different game. Got bored halfway in and I've yet to pick it back up again.

First-person shooters have also gotten worse, trading off gameplay and challenge for graphics. I sincerely blame the Halo/CoD series for this, because game publishers figured out real fast that if you make your game pretty, linear, and easily monetized, it'll sell like crazy and make it harder for others to compete without lifting comparable elements.

It's rare now that I encounter a game I enjoy and don't get bored of within the first half-hour of playing. Don't even get me started on RPG's. Hrrrrng.

Last edited by Reincarnate; 07-16-2013 at 01:18 PM..
Old 07-16-2013, 01:17 PM   #12
mi40

just wait til a really chill game comes out

something like, Snoop's Day Off in The Bahamas
Old 07-16-2013, 01:39 PM   #13
swordmasterz
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to swordmasterz

1. I don't think you should necessarily feel bad about exhausting your interest in video games. You don't have to try to force yourself to enjoy an activity you are no longer having fun with.

2. I noticed that you didn't really cite any games with a good multiplayer aspect to them in your second post. Of course I'm not assuming that you've never played a multiplayer game in your life, but I feel the need to state the obvious here: having a group of friends to play video games with can turn some frustrating games into fun ones. I think that many subpar game elements can be overlooked if you just play with other people you know. I think plenty of people in the FFR community would be willing to play a multitude of games with a figure such as yourself.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:44 PM   #14
Crazyjayde
FFR Veteran
Wiki Administrator
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

I found the most interest in gaming when playing retro games or less known titles. Stray away from the recent gaming industry and go discover some new avenues you never set foot in. (something like Backloggery.com helped me revisit games I played extensively to renewed them by creating unusual and challenging goals: speedrunning and the likes)
I even got around a top list of some of the worst and most obscure games and decided to play them all. Helped me freshen my vision of the gaming experience in general.

Like PrawnSkunk said, be wary to not burn yourself out. And if you do (since it happens to everyone), just lay down the controller and focus on more profitable/satisfying hobbies until you feel appealed by games again. That often happens to me when I played a game too much for a long period of time.
Crazyjayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:57 PM   #15
ddr_f4n
FFR Player

If you want a game that's relaxing try Fez, even though the creator himself was apparently an ass (according to my friend at least, I dunno about the whole drama behind it/him)
ddr_f4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:01 PM   #16
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordmasterz View Post
1. I don't think you should necessarily feel bad about exhausting your interest in video games. You don't have to try to force yourself to enjoy an activity you are no longer having fun with.

2. I noticed that you didn't really cite any games with a good multiplayer aspect to them in your second post. Of course I'm not assuming that you've never played a multiplayer game in your life, but I feel the need to state the obvious here: having a group of friends to play video games with can turn some frustrating games into fun ones. I think that many subpar game elements can be overlooked if you just play with other people you know. I think plenty of people in the FFR community would be willing to play a multitude of games with a figure such as yourself.
I don't really know too many people who are regularly available/willing to play the same games/etc. Scheduling time becomes a big issue for those with full-time gigs, at least here in NYC. I don't really know what I should play or who I'd play with.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:10 PM   #17
Crazyjayde
FFR Veteran
Wiki Administrator
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

If you can get a friend, go play Pocky & Rocky
Certified upper.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:18 PM   #18
ToasterCubed
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddr_f4n View Post
If you want a game that's relaxing try Fez, even though the creator himself was apparently an ass (according to my friend at least, I dunno about the whole drama behind it/him)
Have you seen Indie Game: The Movie? There wasn't a whole lot of drama about the guy, but he was shown to be VERY arrogant about finishing the game in it, from what I remember.

Also, even if I end up selling all my games (which I will likely never do), I will always have my personal favorite to keep me sane.

GOTY 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018
ToasterCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:36 PM   #19
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

I just downloaded Fez.

I hear there are a lot of secrets in this game -- what should I keep an eye out for in general? Are all secrets available at any time or is there any sort of "Aw fuck I missed that and have to restart the game to get it" thing?
Old 07-16-2013, 02:39 PM   #20
Crazyjayde
FFR Veteran
Wiki Administrator
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Anything brain busting is optional and can be explored at any time in your free will. No cheap shots or anything.
Take your time and enjoy the enigma.