Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Critical Thinking
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-5-2005, 09:48 PM   #1
The_Q
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to The_Q Send a message via Yahoo to The_Q
Default Reading List '05

Jared Diamond came out with a new book recently. Anyone interested in the social sciences ought to read them all. Particularly my favorite two (the two most recent), Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies and Collapse. Both deal with the rise and fall of societies. I will warn any potential readers that he is a biologist first and a historian second, though he has degrees in both fields (and many others). Most of his books deal with society in relation to the environment. This does not mean, however, that he is a biased environmentalist. In fact, he's very objective.

Next on the list are two relatively old books. The Armchair Economist and Fair Play by Steven E. Landsburgh. Alone, the books are fantastic and I've read them both many times. Landsburgh is a wonderful writer and has his own internet column (if you care to read). In fact, the only writer that passes him up in wit and style is...

Deirdre McColsky with The Sins of Economics. Not to say I agree with everything she says. It's a very interesting paper (not a book) and it's got to be the best written piece of work I've ever read.

Enjoy!

Q
The_Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-5-2005, 09:56 PM   #2
blahblah18
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to blahblah18
Default RE: Reading List

check.. will do, thanks Q

blahblah18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-6-2005, 01:48 AM   #3
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Squeek
Default RE: Reading List

So, is that all this topic is good for? Because I'd like to recommend some books as well.

Obviously, I received and read Eats, Shoots & Leaves by Lynne Truss. It's hailed as a grammar book, but really, it's a book about how to prevent stupidity from spreading further.

I also received and read Steal this File Sharing Book which is obviously a book about file sharing. I quite liked it, but the author got redundant at times. His book is very much up to date and full of awesome facts you probably didn't know about file sharing. Plus, he's quoted in my signature.

~Squeek
Squeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-6-2005, 02:06 AM   #4
GuidoHunter
is against custom titles
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to GuidoHunter Send a message via Skype™ to GuidoHunter

I'm trying to get a hold of Schrödinger's Kittens and the Search for Reality because In Search of Schrödinger's Cat was a fantastic book on quantum physics, and this is a more recent follow-up. John Gribbin rules.

Last book I read was Watership Down by Richard Adams, and it was fantastic, but I still say Gone with the Wind (Mitchell) is the best.

As for grammar, Woe is I by Patricia T. O'Connor rules.

If anyone knows a good book on imaginary numbers, I'd like to get one.

--Guido

http://andy.mikee385.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandiagod View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandiagod View Post
She has an asshole, in other pics you can see a diaper taped to her dead twin's back.
Sentences I thought I never would have to type.
GuidoHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-6-2005, 03:51 PM   #5
stretchypanda
shock me shock me
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to stretchypanda

I'm currently reading How the Light gets In, by M. J. Hyland, and it's proven to be fascinating. I'd like to recommend (at this point most guys can just skip to the next post.. boys don't like a lot of the books I read) Speak, by Laurie Halse Andersen, which is by far my favorite book ever, The Lovely Bones, by Alice Sebold, Bongwater, whose author I forget, and White Oleander, by Janet Fitch (which has been on shelves long enough that everyone on the planet should have picked it up by now).

I read much less nonfiction than I should. The last I read was How to Stop Acting, by Harold Guskin, and that's obviously directed at a small audience. I did read a book called Physics and the Art of Dance once, and it was fantastic.. surely someone would enjoy it.

Some of you might also find Hauer & Young's A Journey into the Bible interesting. It was required reading in one of my classes last semester.
stretchypanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-6-2005, 03:59 PM   #6
JurseyRider734
lil j the bad b-word
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to JurseyRider734 Send a message via Skype™ to JurseyRider734

Currently reading The Da Vinci Code and I'm planning on reading Angels and Demons after it since I will not have English anymore. Both by Dan Brown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrobean View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JurseyRider734
the fact that you're resorting to threatening physical violence says a lot anyway.
Just that you're a piece of shit who can't see reason and instead deserves a fucking beating.
JurseyRider734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-6-2005, 04:10 PM   #7
The_Q
FFR Player

I recommend reading The DaVinci Code as well. It's a perfect example of a poorly written up theory. If you want to try to test it's validity, just AIM convo me. I held up a good fight to Jursey...I think. She dropped the conversation, anyway.

Q
Old 01-6-2005, 05:16 PM   #8
JurseyRider734
lil j the bad b-word
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to JurseyRider734 Send a message via Skype™ to JurseyRider734

Oh please...you're just saying that because you don't agree. It's a good book, very suspenseful. I get yelled at for reading ahead. =\

Quote:
Quote:
the fact that you're resorting to threatening physical violence says a lot anyway.
Just that you're a piece of shit who can't see reason and instead deserves a fucking beating.
Old 01-6-2005, 11:13 PM   #9
jewpinthethird
(The Fat's Sabobah)
Retired StaffFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jewpinthethird

Quote:
Currently reading The Da Vinci Code and I'm planning on reading Angels and Demons after it since I will not have English anymore. Both by Dan Brown.
I have read the Da Vinci Code. It is a very very good book. I look forward to reading Angels and Demons. Sure, maybe not everything in the book is not entire accurate, but it keeped reading for hours...which is hard, because I dont like reading.
jewpinthethird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-7-2005, 07:59 AM   #10
whorlichan
Tiny Plastic Meat

Send a message via AIM to whorlichan

The DaVinci Code was excellent reading if poorly supported theory, so Jursey and LD are both right. It did give me a craving for more Holy Grail stuff, which I promptly fed by watching Monty Python and canniballistic bunnies.

Really excellent books with LOTS of research behind them (you can skip the parts about plants and landscape if they bore you, but the story itself is really good): The Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean Auel and its four sequels, The Valley of Horses, The Mammoth Hunters (which I read first, loved but didn't quite understand where all the backstory came from, and went and got the others), The Plains of Passage, and Shelters of Stone. All are well over 800 pages though...slow readers beware.

More fantastical stuff that I love...Terry Pratchett's Discworld series, Douglas Adams' HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy (a trilogy in 5 parts), and any of the four-part series by Tamora Pierce. Those are aimed at a younger audience, maybe 9-14? But I am 20 and love them to death.
My friend Cassie's amazing photography
whorlichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-7-2005, 08:03 AM   #11
JurseyRider734
lil j the bad b-word
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewpinthethird
Quote:
I have read the Da Vinci Code. It is a very very good book. I look forward to reading Angels and Demons. Sure, maybe not everything in the book is not entire accurate, but it keeped reading for hours...which is hard, because I dont like reading.

That is EXACTLY how I think. I'm anxious also for his new book, it's going to take off where the Da Vinci Code left off.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-7-2005, 02:36 PM   #12
crazyants
FFR Player

Send a message via ICQ to crazyants Send a message via AIM to crazyants Send a message via MSN to crazyants Send a message via Yahoo to crazyants

fingway shungwa pingsumondo noto!!!!!
Old 01-7-2005, 02:41 PM   #13
Bahamut-X
FFR Player
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyants
fingway shungwa pingsumondo noto!!!!!
This is a critical thinking forum asshat.
Bahamut-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-7-2005, 02:48 PM   #14
The_Q
FFR Player

Bahamut, don't yell at the noob. Take it out of the forum if anything. (This is a public example)

I'm glad I made this list. So many people reading awesome books.

Jurs, you didn't sound like that when you were talking to me. You seemed to intent on that insane theory to be true.

Q
Old 08-3-2005, 12:41 PM   #15
crazyants
FFR Player

Send a message via ICQ to crazyants Send a message via AIM to crazyants Send a message via MSN to crazyants Send a message via Yahoo to crazyants

srry i have learned my lesson kinda and one name ... harry potter and the half blood prince
Old 08-3-2005, 12:45 PM   #16
Tps222
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Tps222 Send a message via Yahoo to Tps222 Send a message via Skype™ to Tps222

Well, at least this time it's on topic. I have always wanted to read the davinci code, but never got around to it, I'll have to go find a copy.
Tps222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-3-2005, 12:48 PM   #17
crazyants
FFR Player

its pretty good book hard on my religion thou but well writen
Old 08-3-2005, 01:46 PM   #18
senate7377
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to senate7377

Eats, SHoots and Leaves is hilarious. Lynn Truss makes a joke out of it all more than anything. Tuesdays with Morrie and THe Five People You meet in Heavan is something I would suggest. Its not heavy and its a great story. Life of Pi, Kite Runner, and DaVinci Code are all really good reads. I found DaVinci Code to kind of drag a bit, and was extrmely similar to Angels and Demons, but still worh the read. I enjoyed a modernized version of Dantes Inferno. In moving I've packed all my books up and Im not opening it to get you the author, but its really interesting how hte story was applied to modern society and the modern imagery was nice.

Books liek Watership Down and Tess of D'Ubervilles, The Awakening, Ethan Frome... those are kind of morbid to me. Good books, yes... but too morbid. Of course you've got classics liek Beowulf (which I liked...but thought the main character was stupid)... You guys should read Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Ikiru, and Water Margin (since it kind of contrasts RotTK)...
senate7377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 03:41 PM   #19
mattc16
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to mattc16 Send a message via MSN to mattc16

i just finished Digital Fortress by dan brown, and it is a fantastic read, probably better than the da vinci code in my opinion. I'm going to get deception point and angels and demons soon i hope

Click for great online poker rakeback offers!
mattc16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-8-2005, 04:39 PM   #20
cmb
FFR Player

i suggest sean hannity's deliver us from evil,slander by ann coulter,and persicution how liberal are waging war against christianity if you like politics and stuff.
cmb is offline   Reply With Quote