Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Critical Thinking
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-8-2005, 04:23 PM   #21
NuclearShadow
FFR Player

To me without an afterlife it only makes living pointless.

Cheers,

Synthlight

NuclearShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-8-2005, 04:24 PM   #22
cmb
FFR Player

Default RE: Re: RE: Afraid of death.

To die and there be nothingness afterward that's a bit depressing
cmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-8-2005, 04:25 PM   #23
cmb
FFR Player

Thank God that's not the case.
Old 10-8-2005, 04:33 PM   #24
Bahamut-X
FFR Player
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

There's nothing to be afraid of, except for maybe how you die. You don't exist, you don't feel, you just... won't be. Basically, I share the same idea as Reach.

I've always kind of thought of religion as a mental cusion to the prospect of death. People are scared of dieing, and they need some reassurance that once they die, they'll be able to live again. But that's just my view. There are most likely people out there that don't feel that way, but then again perhaps some people do.
Bahamut-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-8-2005, 04:50 PM   #25
Reach
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Reach Send a message via MSN to Reach
Default Re: RE: Re: RE: Afraid of death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmb
Thank God that's not the case.
Lol. Says who? The church? XD

I don't see how it makes life pointless at all. If you really can't be happy in your day to day life, and take the time to actually sit down and realize what an amazing gift and chance of life you were given...then there is no hope.

People worry too much about living because of reason and meaning...and miss every other reason they're alive.

Nothing to me is also kind of weird, since you can't picture nothing. It's not black...or...its nothing you can visually imagine...which could be kind of scary. But it's peace. If you've lived a happy life, you can die knowing that the time was well spent, and you can learn to accept things for what they are. Death is death, it's inevitable...but it doesn't mean it should be feared.
Old 10-8-2005, 04:58 PM   #26
NuclearShadow
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach

I don't see how it makes life pointless at all. If you really can't be happy in your day to day life, and take the time to actually sit down and realize what an amazing gift and chance of life you were given...then there is no hope.

Nothing to me is also kind of weird, since you can't picture nothing. It's not black...or...its nothing you can visually imagine...which could be kind of scary. But it's peace. If you've lived a happy life, you can die knowing that the time was well spent, and you can learn to accept things for what they are. Death is death, it's inevitable...but it doesn't mean it should be feared.
It makes life pointless because you die and then you are dead forever and are forgotten. Not even you yourself know of your life anymore because you are dead.

Cheers,

Synthlight

NuclearShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-8-2005, 05:04 PM   #27
Moogy
嗚呼
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to Moogy
Default RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Afraid of death.

aeris dies

^^^ vintage signature from like 2006 preserved
Moogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-8-2005, 05:05 PM   #28
cmb
FFR Player

Actually that's very true death shoulden't be feared the Bible even says so ,but just don'tlike pain.Still i would rather believe there's heaven than nothingness but, that's probably just me.
Old 10-8-2005, 05:08 PM   #29
Reach
FFR Simfile Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearShadow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach

It makes life pointless because you die and then you are dead forever and are forgotten. Not even you yourself know of your life anymore because you are dead.
You miss the whole point.

You try to associate life with death. As if they should be one or something. What does being dead or forgotten have to do with enjoying life? Is that not the entire point of life? Life is what you make of it. It's not defined by some sort of meaning or rubric you need to follow in order for it to be meaningful. It has meaning and reason if you give it reason...
Old 10-8-2005, 09:00 PM   #30
chickendude
Away from Computer
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to chickendude

actually, explaining death was one of the main reasons religion was created

for so many years, religion inspired people to do something with their life. This is all starting to change now a days with our science. People became obsessed with religion and there became a war between science and religion.

A lot of people just can't cope with both these ideas.
I look at life as an opportunity to have a good time, while making the lives of the people ahead of us better. I also know a lot about science, and realize that it doesn't really allow for a heaven or anything after dying. I try not to be so avid to pick a side in this war. They will never fit together, so instead of having them fight, I think we should just keep them as separate entities.

One can be religious and scientific at the same time
The problem, is that the religion has to be very generic. It has to talk about god, but it can't really get much more specific than that, or it will defeat the whole idea of faith, which underlies religion.
Thats why christianity has so many issues (just to pick one)
Old 10-8-2005, 09:29 PM   #31
iggymatrixcounter
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to iggymatrixcounter

This is getting off topic but I would like to say that science is refered to in the Bible. They aren't two contradicting things. Job 26:7 shows how the earth is "suspended on nothing" and that idea was way way before science could prove it. So while you can't explain some things now through science, there are things the Bible 'explained' or referred to before science ever did.
Old 10-8-2005, 10:28 PM   #32
JurseyRider734
lil j the bad b-word
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to JurseyRider734 Send a message via Skype™ to JurseyRider734

I was just thinking about this tonight =(

I realized I don't have a lot of time, and if I am a reincarnated person, I don't remember anything from my past life so why would I be in a new life after I die. I'll just be a pile of bones underground in 75 years, and that's depressing. I don't want to die, i'm afraid of dying, because if there was a Heaven it would be like a second Earth x2034284 the population.

X(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrobean View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JurseyRider734
the fact that you're resorting to threatening physical violence says a lot anyway.
Just that you're a piece of shit who can't see reason and instead deserves a fucking beating.
JurseyRider734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-9-2005, 01:01 AM   #33
GuidoHunter
is against custom titles
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to GuidoHunter Send a message via Skype™ to GuidoHunter
Default Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Afraid of death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggymatrixcounter
This is getting off topic but I would like to say that science is refered to in the Bible. They aren't two contradicting things. Job 26:7 shows how the earth is "suspended on nothing" and that idea was way way before science could prove it. So while you can't explain some things now through science, there are things the Bible 'explained' or referred to before science ever did.
To take the Bible as ANY measure of a scientific text is just wrong. The fact that Job 26:7 makes a general statement that can be interpreted to mean there isn't anything holding it up doesn't mean anything. Psychics are right about their clients far more often than the Bible is on scientific matters; if you take a hundred shots in pitch black, you're bound to hit a target with one.

Like chicken nicely surmised, one can easily be religious and scientific at the same time (Albert Einstein, Stephen Hawking, MANY others...), but when you try to apply religion to science or vice versa, you just fail, mainly because religion is all about constructs. You can't ever prove or test constructs, so the two entities live nicely, pretty much in blissful ignorance of each other.

As for the afterlife, nobody has any idea what really happens, but Pascal's wager is more than enough for me to strive to get into heaven.

--Guido

http://andy.mikee385.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandiagod View Post
Quote:
She has an asshole, in other pics you can see a diaper taped to her dead twin's back.
Sentences I thought I never would have to type.
GuidoHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-9-2005, 10:13 AM   #34
Pridemaster7294
FFR Player

Default RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Afraid of death.

Death isn't anything to be afraid of. You know it's there, and you know it will soon one day be your time to join those long past our time whether there's a Heaven and Hell or not. It could just be that mankind hopes for a life after death. Therefore, making a religion.
Pridemaster7294 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-9-2005, 10:30 AM   #35
Reach
FFR Simfile Author

Pascal's Wager is flawed on more accounts than I care to type out XD
Old 10-9-2005, 10:50 AM   #36
Moogy
嗚呼
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to Moogy

Pascal's Wager has got to be the most idiotic thing ever. You believe in god so you don't go to hell? How childish.

^^^ vintage signature from like 2006 preserved
Moogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-9-2005, 12:33 PM   #37
Jam930
FFR Player

Default Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Afraid of death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pridemaster7294
Death isn't anything to be afraid of. You know it's there, and you know it will soon one day be your time to join those long past our time whether there's a Heaven and Hell or not. It could just be that mankind hopes for a life after death. Therefore, making a religion.

Not fearing death... just doesn't make sense.

Why would you fear anything more than death?
People afraid of spiders and afraid of the dark... but not death?

Death is horrible from every angle... except from the Flanders'.

Either you go to hell or you cease to exist. Both are terrifying... unless you're absolutely certain that you're gonna go to heaven... a coveted luxury.
Old 10-9-2005, 04:11 PM   #38
cmb
FFR Player

Default RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Afraid of death.

Well it's not hard to have that luxury.
Old 10-9-2005, 04:41 PM   #39
Demon_Of_The_Comet
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Demon_Of_The_Comet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pridemaster7294

Not fearing death... just doesn't make sense.

Why would you fear anything more than death?
People afraid of spiders and afraid of the dark... but not death?

Death is horrible from every angle... except from the Flanders'.

Either you go to hell or you cease to exist. Both are terrifying... unless you're absolutely certain that you're gonna go to heaven... a coveted luxury.

To be afraid of death just doesnt make sense. Death is nothing more than another form of life, whether you believe in God or not. If there is a God then you start a new life in Heaven, Hell or in Reincarnation. If you dont believe in God then you start a new life 6 feet under the ground.

Im not afraid of Death, im one of the believers that earth IS Hell, in the Bible it says God threw Satan down to earth, so why WOULDNT i think this is hell?

And no, theres a saying that Babies cry when their born cause it hurts, A.K.A. it hurts to enter our world and to take our first breath. And its only to be expected that it hurts to leave this world. And gj at saying we're all gonna go to hell, you know that means you too right?
Originally Posted by jewpinthethird
If you are part of the 2% that isn\'t a ******, put this in your profile.
Quote:
Originally Posted by white_boy
firemon is in the top 10 sm list...dont talk (#$% to him.
Demon_Of_The_Comet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-9-2005, 11:51 PM   #40
GuidoHunter
is against custom titles
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to GuidoHunter Send a message via Skype™ to GuidoHunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogy
Pascal's Wager has got to be the most idiotic thing ever. You believe in god so you don't go to hell? How childish.
Not wanting to incur eternal torture is childish? Care to explain that one?

Also, way to jump to conclusions; I never suggested that was the only reason for my beliefs. 'You' isn't a passive noun, either.

--Guido

http://andy.mikee385.com

Quote:
Quote:
She has an asshole, in other pics you can see a diaper taped to her dead twin's back.
Sentences I thought I never would have to type.
GuidoHunter is offline   Reply With Quote