Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Video Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2009, 08:22 PM   #1381
tsugomaru
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to tsugomaru
Default Re: World of Warcraft

BUT YOU CAN STILL DO SOMETHING WITH YOUR PROFESSION.

Okay, once you get tailoring to the appropriate level, you're done with it forever! There's nothing more you can gain except for the cape embroidery and once you have the BiS cape, the profession sits there, useless. The epics that you can make for entry raiding is easily replaced, so there's really no point in using your cloth cooldowns because the pieces you can make pale in comparison to things you can easily get in Naxxramas. At least in BC, you could find tailoring patterns in heroic instances that were better than T4 (the lowest tier at the time of BC) and make good use of the profession.

With Jewelcrafting, even though I have a couple BiS items, the gems do not stay the same all the time. Depending on the situation, I have to switch out some gems to get what I need. It's because of this I have to pour 1000s of gold on the AH. Not only that, sometimes the gem I wanted was not on the AH for days and no one in my guild is on to cut what I need. If you're a JC, then you don't have to go through all those annoyances. So what if the mats cost a bit to make the Icy Prism! You can still make them. When you don't cut any gems, you save it for later when you do need a gem. At least you'll have something there ready to be put into use instead of waiting for the gem you need.

~Tsugomaru
When their heart is pierced by a bullet from a pistol...? No.
When they succumb to an incurable disease...? No.
When they drink soup made with a poisonous mushroom...? NO!!!
IT'S WHEN A PERSON IS FORGOTTEN...!!!
tsugomaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 09:00 PM   #1382
devonin
Very Grave Indeed
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to devonin Send a message via MSN to devonin

I've never -had- to make an icy prism in my life.

Since my main spec is still tank, I have mining as my other profession. Thanks to nothing more than some mining expeditions, and trading dragon's eyes for stacks of saronite, I've never fallen below 60 each of the green-quality gems, and generally have about 8-15 each of the blue quality gems at any given time.
devonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 09:22 PM   #1383
Relambrien
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Relambrien Send a message via MSN to Relambrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeek View Post
That was old. I ran the numbers and came out with 29.

http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/...postcount=1354
Oh, I see. I'll take a look at this and work out the numbers myself later. edit: Without looking in-depth at the numbers, it turns out that the optimal Mage set, at least, has 18 non-meta gem slots, as opposed to the ten in your calculations. Moreover, some of the socket bonuses are actually worth placing orange gems in instead of red gems, because of the comparative values of spellpower and haste. This is what probably brings JC to the same amount as other professions. But I'll have to check it later.

Quote:
What how.

It takes 280 days to get all the cuts from the vendor, and more to get the rare drops. If you aren't lucky enough to prospect gems for cutting to sell, you have to make Icy Prisms, which costs a Frozen Orb and some gems each time to make.

You get 13 gold from doing the daily, not 100. And 13 gold hardly makes up for the 100 gold the Frozen Orb costs. If you don't get lucky with the gems, you won't be able to sell / cut anything worthwhile either. It's a dangerous game to play just to break even.
Like Dev said earlier, this only counts if you're actually bothering to get all the JC recipes. Personally, all I got were the Dragon's Eye cut I wanted, and one or two high-price gem cuts for backup revenue. Every day since then I've been getting straight Dragon's Eyes, which sell for about 80-90g per. In addition to the 13g for the daily, it comes out to nearly 100g a day.

It also helps that the highest-price gem on my server, Runed Scarlet Ruby, is a Kirin Tor rep reward. If I wanted to, I could've spent my first two tokens on getting my Dragon's Eye cut and then just gotten straight Dragon's Eyes from there.

With the impending JC change, however, I'm probably not going to spend the Tokens refunded on Dragon's Eyes, since their price is likely to drop significantly. I'll see if there are any other high-price cuts I could get, and then after that we'll see.

Last edited by Relambrien; 05-25-2009 at 09:29 PM..
Relambrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 10:43 PM   #1384
Tokzic
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Tokzic

YESSSS.

Picked up my second piece of T8 today in Emalon. Now I'm rocking the 2pc bonus.

Tomorrow, when I kill one boss, I'll grab my first piece of T8.5. And since I have a load of DKP, it's only a little longer before I get my 4pc bonus and get a 250 DPS increase. 8)

Last edited by Tokzic: Today at 11:59 PM. Reason: wait what

Last edited by Tokzic; 05-25-2009 at 10:48 PM..
Tokzic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 11:45 PM   #1385
Kagome
Pop'n Music.
Retired Staff

Send a message via AIM to Kagome Send a message via MSN to Kagome

Oh hey guys

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/1817/yoggo.jpg
Kagome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 05:21 AM   #1386
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Squeek

Way to go man.

Our 10-man run is now 10/13. Mimiron and the last two left.

We didn't know how important the Toasty Fires were in our previous Hodir runs. Well, we wiped pretty quickly in those runs from lack of understanding of the fights, but even when we gave him another go this week it was still not known to us until the very last time. We got him down to 6% once without them and lost to the enrage timer. Then I looked up Hodir on a break someone took for something and saw a special notation for Toasty Fires. Something like "this will sometimes apply a dot that also makes him take more magic damage in addition to making you safe from all freeze effects". Holy damn that's awesome. I told the other ranged DPS to stand in the fire with me and we easily downed him that very try.

We were also struggling on re-beating Ignis and Thorim, who we had beaten the week before. The Constructs were not cooperating, so we decided to just ignore them and DPS Ignis down before the stacks got too high. And we did, first try. We had gotten to Thorim a previous night under the assumption that it would be cake since we did it before, but we just could not get it going properly. So on this night, I proposed a new strategy and we won. Before, we were all stacking in the center to make the adds all run to the middle to get to us. This time, we let only the tank stay in the center and somehow he was able to pull every add to him through us. The hammer didn't kill our cast time too badly and it was an easy kill.

We wanted to try Mimiron but it was too late in the evening. So instead I got my DK to 77 and took a few laps around his new home (Sholazar) to see how quickly he could farm ore and herbs. And it's so damn fast. That 20% mount speed increase is not to be taken lightly. He flies at 76% increased speed over the normal epic flying speed. Quite a lot.

It's funny that our guild leader still thinks our guild is a casual guild, because I looked at my unlocks for this morning and this was the list:

Naxxramas
Naxxramas (Heroic)
Ulduar
Ulduar (Heroic)
Obsidian Sanctum
Obsidian Sanctum (Heroic)
Vault of Archavon
Vault of Archavon (Heroic)
Eye of Eternity
Eye of Eternity (Heroic)

Yeah, we did every raid this week. Everything was a full clear except Ulduar. 25 was just a FL / XT pug and 10 was the aforementioned 10/13.

We're starting hard modes soon.
Squeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 06:00 AM   #1387
Grandiagod
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Grandiagod Send a message via MSN to Grandiagod

Truthfully everything but ulduar is "casual" now.

I've done all of those raids in this past week and every single one was with a pug 'cept ulduar.

I take it back, I didn't do nax 10 because christ is that raid boring.

Last edited by Grandiagod; 05-26-2009 at 06:04 AM..
Grandiagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 06:28 AM   #1388
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

We were running a fresh 80 through naxx.

Plus, I love the money. About 200g just for running naxx.

Also, there's still one drop from Naxx10 for me, even though it never drops. Still using a ring from UK, because the itemization on rings is just pathetically bad for EleSham. There's only one ring without Spirit or Mp5 in Naxx10, and there's only one in Naxx25, but it comes from KT.

PS - I hope you all realize by now that I typically enjoy arguing for the sake of arguing. I honestly don't care about this nerf. JC is still better than Herbalism, and I need the Hit D.Eyes anyway. I haven't even considered switching professions for a second.

Last edited by Squeek; 05-26-2009 at 08:47 AM..
Old 05-26-2009, 08:56 AM   #1389
devonin
Very Grave Indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagome View Post
So they took the name -and- the look, classy :P
Old 05-26-2009, 09:17 AM   #1390
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

This is sick too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iha86gOgjrk

2-man kill of Flame Leviathan. In one vehicle.

Yeah I knew he was a joke but this is just sick.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:24 AM   #1391
tsugomaru
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to tsugomaru

Oh congrats. I'm not sure what's going on with my guild. It seems that most of our raiders are missing. =[

~Tsugomaru
When their heart is pierced by a bullet from a pistol...? No.
When they succumb to an incurable disease...? No.
When they drink soup made with a poisonous mushroom...? NO!!!
IT'S WHEN A PERSON IS FORGOTTEN...!!!
tsugomaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 01:56 PM   #1392
ImEric12
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to ImEric12

So all of your profession arguing got me thinking.

Which caused me to drop skinning and pick up enchanting.

I'm now down 3500g and up to 366 enchanting. Thanks a lot, guys =p

Also, I got promoted to a Lieutenant in my guild, which was kind of out of nowhere because I got promoted straight from recruit. I was pretty happy about that, it's nice being entrusted with responsibility.

ImEric12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 02:17 PM   #1393
Tokzic
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImEric12 View Post
So all of your profession arguing got me thinking.

Which caused me to drop skinning and pick up enchanting.

I'm now down 3500g and up to 366 enchanting. Thanks a lot, guys =p
I did that exact swap a little while ago.

But I didn't end up being down any gold - rather, I went up some. The first 250 points or so only cost about 500g. Then it gets pricy for a short while. Then I stuck things on Vellums and sold them for massive profit and evened out really quickly.

Old 05-26-2009, 02:20 PM   #1394
devonin
Very Grave Indeed

So in your opinion, since I'm staying JC no matter what, now that I'm healing as often as I'm tanking, do you think I should drop mining for something that benefits both specs? If so, what?
Old 05-26-2009, 02:24 PM   #1395
operationstrawbarry
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to operationstrawbarry Send a message via MSN to operationstrawbarry

Quote:
Originally Posted by devonin View Post
So in your opinion, since I'm staying JC no matter what, now that I'm healing as often as I'm tanking, do you think I should drop mining for something that benefits both specs? If so, what?
Mining and JC go together. Like engin and Mining, or herb and alch.

How much you tank or how much you heal has nothing to do with profession compadibility in my opinion (Im sure Im reading ur question right).
operationstrawbarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 02:34 PM   #1396
Tokzic
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by operationstrawbarry View Post
Mining and JC go together. Like engin and Mining, or herb and alch.

How much you tank or how much you heal has nothing to do with profession compadibility in my opinion (Im sure Im reading ur question right).
...Yes, it does. You must not know much about professions.

Skinning gives a passive 32(?) crit rating.

Enchanting gives a passive 64 AP, or 38 SP, or...

I dropped Skinning despite having Leatherworking because I had almost maxed leatherworking and skinning does nothing for me except give me money and 32 crit. For me, 64 AP is much better than 32 Crit. So I switched professions to increase my DPS a bit and my guild helpfulness a little.

Now I just buy skins on AH.

Old 05-26-2009, 02:42 PM   #1397
ImEric12
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokzic View Post
I did that exact swap a little while ago.

But I didn't end up being down any gold - rather, I went up some. The first 250 points or so only cost about 500g. Then it gets pricy for a short while. Then I stuck things on Vellums and sold them for massive profit and evened out really quickly.
Yeah, that's basically how it was for me. I need to get a little bit higher to get the stuff worth putting on vellums, but once I'm there I plan to make my money back.

Old 05-26-2009, 02:49 PM   #1398
operationstrawbarry
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to operationstrawbarry Send a message via MSN to operationstrawbarry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokzic View Post
...Yes, it does. You must not know much about professions.
I do, I just dont worry about the technical aspects of things. And like I said, "in my opinion".

Before I quit WOW(edit:should mention this since it matters but forgot. I quit about 2 months ago), I made a holy paly with full JC and mining. I didn't see anything different other than the fact that you can create things to help you tank and heal. If that was the question, then yes. But thats not what I thought the question was when I first read it. To me the question was "since Im staying with JC, should I drop mining for something thats more compadible to both specs (Im guessing healing and tanking).

My answer still stands from the last post.

Last edited by operationstrawbarry; 05-26-2009 at 02:59 PM..
Old 05-26-2009, 02:57 PM   #1399
ImEric12
FFR Player

Things may have changed since you quit. Since mining only gives a bonus to hp, he's considering switching to something that might give him a spellpower bonus or something, not so much worrying about the actual gear that one profession or another can make.

Old 05-26-2009, 03:10 PM   #1400
operationstrawbarry
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

HAHA I totally forgot that some professions give you stat boosts. HAHA my bad.

You might have to check out the technical aspects of the each professions. If you are serious about dropping mining, then drop it and take up another profession and figure out what the bonus will be. But be sure you are going to drop mining though.

Edit: I checked out http://www.wowwiki.com/Profession for the sake of my curiosity. According to the list, it seems like the gathering professions are the only ones that will give bonuses. In that case, if Im reading this right, I think you either want herb or alch. Mining will give you increased stamina and alch will give you increased duration to drink. I dont think there is anything for spellpower boost.

Damn, in this case, my hunter should of been a skinner. My Crit could of been about 35-38%. To bad mining makes more money.

Last edited by operationstrawbarry; 05-26-2009 at 03:14 PM..