Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Stepmania > Simulator Files
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2023, 08:03 PM   #41
baq12
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Default Re: baq12 Singles release thread

Swiggity swoody, look at all the new booty! 4 new charts! These were all really fun to work on, but I definitely had a lot of challenges in terms of decision making that I had to overcome this past month. I got really twitchy with a couple of these charts, so it took a lot longer than usual to get these finished up and released.

Away- Plini

1 Difficulty

So out of all 4 of these new charts, this one I had the most problems with. A lot of the challenge from working on this was the background layering and how I should go about it, specifically in the bass and kick drum. So they are generally supposed to be playing a lot of the same rhythms throughout the song, but there are quite a few times where the kick drum varies from what the bass guitar is playing, which caused a lot of turmoil in terms of how I should layer the bass line. I decided to follow primarily the bass guitar since rhythmically it contains all of the line that I wanted to layer, and I think it helped create a natural progression in difficulty, especially in the later sections. While trying to maintain fluency in the chart,, especially in the development section, I made sure to do enough rhythmic layering over the running 16th runs to ensure that you should be able to feel the lopsided groove while hitting constant 16th streams. It's a really fun chart, and I am mostly pleased with how it turned out. I feel like I could make changes to this forever, so I'm releasing it how it is because I feel it is the most complete in this state.

DIAMOND JACKAL- Akira Complex

1 Difficulty

This chart was fun to work on. I really like each and every drop in this song, as there was enough variety in each one to get a unique rhythmic groove. It was kind of tedious trying to hear everything in the song since it is pretty loud and on the heavier side, but I think I did a good job getting across what I wanted to convey in the chart. Some of my favorite elements are the polyrhythmic gestures that pop up here and there during the drops. They feel super fun to hit and add a lot of depth to the chart. I did mess around with different bpms, especially in the last section, but I didn't quite like how they looked when playing, so I went a little more reserved on the bpm changes, only doing the double time rather than a quadruple time. But overall, its a super fun chart that ventures outside of my comfort zone when it comes to song choice!

Impulse II- An Endless Sporadic

1 Difficulty

So I will say right away that WV's chart of Impulse is still one of my favorite FFR charts ever. The song kicks ass and the chart kicks just as much ass. I wanted to chart the remaster of the song because I think it emphasizes different timbres that the first version of the song didn't have, specifically the inclusion of the orchestra. I had issues initially trying to find the best balance of not too much layering, but not so little where things feel barren. The tempo change was definitely the hardest part in terms of trying to decide how I wanted to layer everything, and I think what I came up with works pretty well. I did some slight bpm changes throughout so I could get some really cool color note changes that emphasized the wonkiness of the harmony in the faster section. I wasn't particularly strict with syncing in this song just because I feel like it would take away from the steady groove, minus one or two sections. But yeah, this version of Impulse is great, and the original version of the song is great. I need to play WV's version again. Hopefully you'll play this version too!

ruin of opals- Kaminose Tsukasa

1 Difficulty

So this song is an absolute banger, and a nightmare to chart. the bpm changes were an absolute nightmare to map out, and in a few sections, it's not entirely perfect. It's by no means an x-mod chart, so playing it on c-mod will be the best way to enjoy this chart. Since this comes off like a virtuoso musical etude of sorts, especially in the beginning, I felt like sacrificing a little in the accuracy of the tempo mapping for a little bit of color note syncing adds a lot to the artistic liberty the song takes at the beginning. Once the groove kicks in, the challenge of how much is too much layering came into mind. I feel like what I did works really well, but as a whole, this song is fairly challenging to play. I had to convince myself that it's okay to have challenging charts that make you sweat a little. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, so enjoy!

I'll be out of town starting Saturday, but I do still plan on making some charts while I'm gone. More to come as always.

Last edited by baq12; 06-19-2023 at 08:05 PM..
baq12 is offline   Reply With Quote