Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2010, 10:26 PM   #61
Zageron
Zageron E. Tazaterra
RRR Developer & DevOps Support
AdministratorDeveloperFFR Veteran

Default Re: Current Seniors

Homework in Highschool? You're trying too hard, ;].

I did 6 hours of work at home (total) from g8 through to g12. The rest I did in class or at lunch/break. Graduated with 80~99.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:26 PM   #62
MrRubix
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DossarLX ODI View Post
That's actually a cool idea but I've noticed my teachers really dislike it when I'm doing two subjects at one time. That is, they find it disrespectful when I'm doing work in other classes when they're giving lectures (90% of the time boring), and I'm sometimes also busy just trying to write down annotations lmao.

And the funny thing is, algebra is my lowest grade but last year math was one of my highest grades. History is my strongest subject so far.
This doesn't happen as often as you may think. Do what you can and put it away if asked (otherwise you risk running into trouble), but then the next day, do it again, etc. Eventually, most teachers just stop asking you.

Disclaimer: Only works if you're actually doing really well in the class.
MrRubix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 10:31 PM   #63
iironiic
D6 FFR Legacy Player
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

College sophomore here. You will enjoy college. It's a lot of work, but because I love my math major, I can't complain about it lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zageron View Post
I strongly disagree about the "don't try in highschool".

If you go into mathematics, you want to overkill on EVERYTHING MATH from Grade 1 through Grade 12...

Learn it all as solidly as possible, and review it all the time. It will REALLY help you at University. (I would especially suggest learning how to do Limit Differentiation as best you can.)

:[
I approve this statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneHandNow View Post
I'm thinking we're from very different parts of the US :/

Calculus BC -> Statistics -> Multivar is usually what high schoolers take here..
/jealous x100000

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRubix View Post
This doesn't happen as often as you may think. Do what you can and put it away if asked (otherwise you risk running into trouble), but then the next day, do it again, etc. Eventually, most teachers just stop asking you.

Disclaimer: Only works if you're actually doing really well in the class.
Been there done that :P
iironiic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 10:34 PM   #64
MrRubix
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

In high school I got most of my homework done in-class.

In college, you simply don't have the ability to do homework in-class. There's just too much material to cover. Homework can add up pretty fast... enjoy HS while you can. :P

Although, college is far more fun.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:35 PM   #65
Windscarredfaith
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ watermelon
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Windscarredfaith Send a message via MSN to Windscarredfaith

Oh god. I'm not ONLY doing a math major. I dislike a good amount of college math, actually. Especially the proofs. I'm going for a masters in Education ultimately. And I want to be a high school math teacher, which is why I need the bachelor's degree in math to do the program that I am aiming for. Basically will be taking 5 years of college total. 3 years undergrad, 1 more year of half-undergrad, half-grad, and another year of grad school.

I definitely do not recommend majoring in math. Rofl. Proofs are like death.

Edit:

I definitely have to make this point about the material between high school and college though... It depends on what level classes and the level of competition you were going for in high school, as well as your major in college. I can definitely say that all AP/Honors level classes in my high school would be harder than 15 credits worth of Genders Studies classes in college. Competing with classmates in high school over the highest GPA for AP Physics, World History, American Literature, Calculus BC, etc is a HUGE workload on a daily basis. In some of the easier majors in college, however, you get grades on essays that you can BS and oral presentations that you can talk random stuff about.

Of course, if you are going to compare the previously mentioned high school workload to a semester's worth of Pharmacy classes like Organic Chem, Systems, etc. college is definitely harder.

Another aspect that makes college a lot harder is the fact that it is such a huge change from the schedule of high school. There is a lot more freedom and choices that you can take. If you slack off, there is a lot of catching up to do. Rubix is definitely right when college is a ton more fun.

Last edited by Windscarredfaith; 10-17-2010 at 10:41 PM..
Windscarredfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 10:38 PM   #66
Zageron
Zageron E. Tazaterra

Proofing is stupid. Especially trig proofs. I've solved 2 of those successfully in 2 years. yay 1 a year...
Old 10-17-2010, 10:39 PM   #67
leonid
I am leonid
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

proofs are fun if you can actually do them in time

but yeah if you are running out of time in the middle of the test and you can't figure out some of the proving problems then.... lol

Proud member of Team No
leonid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 10:40 PM   #68
iironiic
D6 FFR Legacy Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windscarredfaith View Post
Oh god. I'm not ONLY doing a math major. I dislike a good amount of college math, actually. Especially the proofs. I'm going for a masters in Education ultimately. And I want to be a high school math teacher, which is why I need the bachelor's degree in math to do the program that I am aiming for. Basically will be taking 5 years of college total. 3 years undergrad, 1 more year of half-undergrad, half-grad, and another year of grad school.

I definitely do not recommend majoring in math. Rofl. Proofs are like death.
They say that it's recommended for those pursuing an educational track to consider taking Abstract Algebra, Probability and Statistics, and Geometry some point in college before graduation. So keep that in mind

And proofs is the best part of math! Regardless, it certainly makes math a lot more interesting!
Old 10-17-2010, 10:43 PM   #69
DossarLX ODI
Batch Manager
Game Manager, Song Release Coordinator
Game ManagerSimfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
In high school I got most of my homework done in-class.

Although, college is far more fun.
This is simply just impossible for me to do. I probably just take everything way too in-depth, but there's nothing I can do about that. I literally do everything at home, lmao

How is college more fun with more work? Is it because the teachers are actually more interesting? (I know you also have to take other classes though)
DossarLX ODI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 10:45 PM   #70
wargasm1
Cowbelling FFR
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to wargasm1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DossarLX ODI View Post
This is simply just impossible for me to do. I probably just take everything way too in-depth, but there's nothing I can do about that. I literally do everything at home, lmao

How is college more fun with more work? Is it because the teachers are actually more interesting? (I know you also have to take other classes though)
u can just not go to classes or u hang out with cooler and smarter friends. college is cool enough for me to spend 6 years there and im returning this winter :P
wargasm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 10:45 PM   #71
MrRubix
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

College is much more free. You can take what you want (within reason), and you basically make your own schedule.

You also get to meet a lot of interesting people. Lots of new opportunities, too.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:48 PM   #72
MrRubix
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonid View Post
proofs are fun if you can actually do them in time

but yeah if you are running out of time in the middle of the test and you can't figure out some of the proving problems then.... lol
this

but in general: math is nothing. take a high-level stat course if you want to feel pain
Old 10-17-2010, 10:50 PM   #73
Zageron
Zageron E. Tazaterra

Quote:
take a high-level stat course if you want to feel pain
I get this next year. fuuu
Old 10-17-2010, 10:51 PM   #74
Windscarredfaith
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ watermelon
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Windscarredfaith Send a message via MSN to Windscarredfaith

@iironiic: Haha thanks. All three of those classes (and a ton more) are actually required to take to get into the Education Program.

@DossarLX ODI: In a way, yes. Like Rubix said, you can build your schedule with classes that you WANT to take now, instead of the standard English, Math, Science, History, as well as classes that will actually pertain to your actual future career. But most colleges offer many clubs, events, etc. that just open your chances to meet new people and discover new things. It's not only about the academics itself, but mostly from the social interaction and you making the best of it.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:52 PM   #75
iironiic
D6 FFR Legacy Player

Quote:
but in general: math is nothing. take a high-level stat course if you want to feel pain
What can you do with a statistics major? Unfortunately my school doesn't offer one, but I am debating between getting a masters in math or stats.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:54 PM   #76
5.points
Provy
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to 5.points

Is it possible to go to a community college for a semester or two to get the classes you need to transfer to a better college (if that makes since)?
I have no idea what doing. lol :/
5.points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 10:55 PM   #77
MrRubix
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by iironiic View Post
What can you do with a statistics major? Unfortunately my school doesn't offer on, but I am debating between getting a masters in math or stats.
a good understanding of stats is crucial in making good decisions in almost every real-world application you can think of

in terms of marketability though it's best when coupled with finance, but it also helps for things like physics, computer science, biology, marketing, etc.

definitely major in stats in you can. a good stats understanding necessarily demands a good understanding of mathematics -- the two almost go hand in hand.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:56 PM   #78
MrRubix
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.points View Post
Is it possible to go to a community college for a semester or two to get the classes you need to transfer to a better college (if that makes since)?
I have no idea what doing. lol :/
yes you can do this
Old 10-17-2010, 10:58 PM   #79
DossarLX ODI
Batch Manager
Game Manager, Song Release Coordinator
Game ManagerSimfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

The posts in this thread make me wonder what the heck you do in a high level statistics class ?_?
DossarLX ODI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 10:58 PM   #80
Elite Ninja
Kawaii Desu
Difficulty Consulting Cat
Difficulty ConsultantFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

What kinda classes would be best to take if you were going to go into game designing?