Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2003, 10:42 PM   #1
Sfrius
FFR Player

Default Music Piracy - Corporations infringing on your rights.

As a citizen of the United States I think it is outrageous how someone making millions of dollars a year more than I, can pursue this issue with such audacity. In fact I think they are being quite ignorant; they plan to give out thousands of subpuenas, yet there are millions of people downloading music. The only people who are caught are the users who don't know how to protect themselves. Think about how long piracy in movies and gaming categories has been amply pursued by authorities, yet they never seem to be able to put and end to these "illegal acts" as they call them.
Users who use file sharing programs basically enter a community where no one person is committing crime. Like J-walking, who really walks half a block to use a street light anymore? The music industry has become a band of oligopolies(combinations of companies working together to control a market) they have become increasing greedy and as the denominations of the past challenged our freedom, people throughtout the world should question the ideas the music industry just as they once did. Law is not sacred, its is anything but that and should be considered profane(unlike our beliefs the law is questionable).
I feel sorry for the people who are being sued that don't really understand their situation. The music industry is now using their coercion as a scare tactic to discourage people from downloading; the music industry doesn't understand that... no one person can learn a lesson until the lesson becomes part of their lives.
The music industry can challenge what I say here but it will be based on how they wish to further their economic gains. They can't pretend they don't make money; consumers who buy CD's will buy CD's and the people without money or the willingness to give up 20 dollars(what an insane amount of money for a piece of plastic! What happened to 10 cent records, which were larger pieces of plastic?)will continue to borrow CD's and copy them for themselves. Obviously, the internet makes this alot easier. Music Industry Vs. The People, who will win? We will see who has more power in the upcoming months, the corporations or the common man. (I guess we will have to rely on the justice system, which has always peeked through the blind fold and tipped its scales measuring power instead of right and wrong.)

I especially liked it when JAN JARBOE RUSSELL said (about the 12 year old briana and her single parent mother) who was sued-
"The RIAA might know music, but it's completely tone-deaf when it comes to effectively changing the behavior of 12-year-olds -- in other words, the primary market of musicians everywhere."

"The only two lessons that Brianna could have possibly learned from illegally downloading at least 1,000 songs from the Internet -- including "If You're Happy and You Know It, Clap Your Hands" -- is that no one in the music industry is very happy these days and that the RIAA has the public-relations skills of a schoolyard bully."

argghhh MATEY Questions comments Freedomismyright@hotmail.com
Sfrius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 10:46 PM   #2
Moogy
嗚呼
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to Moogy

Ooh text

^^^ vintage signature from like 2006 preserved
Moogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 10:54 PM   #3
jewpinthethird
(The Fat's Sabobah)
Retired StaffFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jewpinthethird

Well, Priacy is wrong. IT IS STEALING. But the fact that the RIAA is being such nazis about it is wrong. But remember, not everyone in the music industry is a millionare. Think of the little people.
jewpinthethird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 11:12 PM   #4
Brainmaster07
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Brainmaster07

But it's free publicity for the little people...
Old 11-26-2003, 01:34 AM   #5
altairian
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to altairian Send a message via MSN to altairian

The law is the law, and the bottom line is that having an mp3 of a song copyrighted by a music company without owning the cd is against the law. The only difference between this and pirating movies or games is that it's easier and faster to do so stupid people want to and can do it. And stupid people get caught, because well, they're stupid.

The example of the 12 year old girl is a perfect example of this. I think it's funny that you mention she had "If You're Happy and You Know It, Clap Your Hands" but completely ignore all of the britney spears and nsync music she had as well. I'm not blaming the 12 year old, she probably didn't even know that technically she was stealing. I do blame the parents however, for not knowing/not doing anything about this child's downloads. If my (hypothetical) kid downloads a couple gigs of files, I'm damn well gonna know what they downloaded and make sure it's appropriate.

If people think there are no consequences for their actions, then the problem will just grow until it's completely out of control. The RIAA is basically making examples out of people right now to try to curb the worst of the piracy.

Know what I find funny? People will spend $40 on a concert ticket, which lasts what, 3 hours? But they won't spend $20 on a CD which they can listen to over and over again. CD's may seem expensive, but if you think about the fact that it's a basically unlimited source of entertainment, and compare that to other forms of entertainment that we pay out the ass for like movies, concerts, sport events, etc... CD's are actually a pretty good freaking deal.

In short, stop bitching, cause the laws won't change. If you want to steal music, go ahead. Just be aware that there are real consequences for it.
I bet after you get a speeding ticket you stick to the speed limit for a while, don't you?

Funny that I've never heard anyone whine about how they can't take the paintings in a museum home with them...
altairian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 02:00 AM   #6
SpookG
(For Great Justice!)
Retired StaffFFR Music Producer

Send a message via MSN to SpookG

People buy prints of paintings for that.. I think. personally, that a full length cd should never cost more than 8 dollars, free radio airplay, and you shouldn't have to die to affod a performance. But that's just me, and I have 10 gigs of pirated music. I'm surprised I haven't bee subpeonaed yet

Ok, look. I produce music, and I don't mind giving it away for free. That might just be me, but I wrote the music to be heard, not to be sold. I used to be in a band too, and I will tell you seeing performers live is always a thousand times better, because they will play better, you can watch them, and band always do unique things at shows to make it more fun. It is just outrageous to charge so much for things, especially when so little of it goes to the artists.

Royal For Great Justice! Electronic Music est. 1999
kerBLAM

SpookG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 02:01 AM   #7
ultimategamer
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainmaster07
it might get there name out, but thats just like squaresoft giving out millions of copies of FFX-2 and expect an increase in profit. Thats what demos are for.

THERE IS NO POSSIBLE WAY TO DEFEND PEOPLE WHO DL MUSIC.

there ya go. no way possible. absolutely not. Unless the author wants it to be given out for free. Then it wouldn't be illegal to begin with. I have yet to be hit with a good enough, reasonable excuse. Hell, its still illegal EVEN if you already own the song. Jewpin said it best when he said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewpinthethird
IT IS STEALING
ultimategamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 02:29 AM   #8
altairian
FFR Player

Um, it's perfectly legal to download an mp3 of a song that you have on a legal cd. It's totally legal to make 800 copies of your favorite cd if you want.

Actually I believe that you can download anything you want, but you're supposed to delete anything you don't own the rights to within 24 or 48 hours after downloading it (you know, demo the product ). At least that's how it works with game ROMs, I would assume the same to be true for music, or at least something similar.
Reach: there was this bee. i hate bee\'s...i tryed to kill it, but then it didn\'t die and it started making weird noises so i was like oh (#$% hes gonna sting me. i started running but i triped over some rock and rolled down a hill into the river.
Old 11-26-2003, 08:20 AM   #9
Anticrombie0909
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Anticrombie0909

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimategamer

Watch me. First, let me say I am glad that there are finally more people joining my ranks of RIAA haters (if any of you remember my thread I made a couple weeks ago about this topic).
First off, the main issue here is not whether it is right or wrong, because the entire world is uncivilized, sinful, blasphemous, whatever the hell you want to call it. People go on killing sprees and don't blink an eye, you really think that compares with downloading music? Yes, its a crime. But so is murder, rape, theft, embezzelment, torture, kidnapping, robbery, and 800,000 other things. So unless you're going on a campain to, 'scourge the world of evil', so to speak, you can't announce how bad downloading music is and stick your head in the sand about everything else.

Now onto the kicker- why the RIAA is wasting everyone's time. There's no possible way Kazaa will be shut down, for two main reasons. One- they can't shut it down, period. Napster had a centrallized system, it could be phsycially shut down, but you can't do that with Kazaa, as its completely user-based. The only way to get rid of it would be to completely eradicate it from any computer that's ever used it.

Second, is that they'll never catch all the people doing it. All you have to do is unshare your files and you're safe, since it's virtually impossible for them to legally get your IP adress otherwise. So, even if every US kazaa user unshares all their files, we still have users overseas to download from. And they have no incentive to delete or unshare theirs, as they're out of US jurisdiction. Back when Metallica Sued Napster, they lost a lot of money, a lot of fans, and a lot of everyone's time. Then in mere months Kazaa was up. Seems like history tends to repeat itself, donnit?

Finally, suing, for example, 12 year old girls, like the first guy said, is just making an example of people. They're suing people up to $10,000 per song. Basically they're just trying to make an example of the few people they catch, in order to try and scare the rest of the easily persuadable public to delete theirs.

All in all, your chance of being caught is close to nil. If I got caught I would go public with so much freaking bad publicity they'd drop the case just to shut me up. Don't show them that intimidating people can work. Keep your kazaa, and keep downloading music. We'll show that bastard Uncle Sam who's who.
Anticrombie0909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 08:41 AM   #10
tnyhwk900
FFR Player
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to tnyhwk900

oh my god, Anti. That should be out of this forum board and into a news article. Seriously.
Old 11-26-2003, 08:51 AM   #11
dontcareaboutmyid
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to dontcareaboutmyid Send a message via Yahoo to dontcareaboutmyid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimategamer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainmaster07
it might get there name out, but thats just like squaresoft giving out millions of copies of FFX-2 and expect an increase in profit. Thats what demos are for.

there ya go. no way possible. absolutely not. Unless the author wants it to be given out for free. Then it wouldn't be illegal to begin with. I have yet to be hit with a good enough, reasonable excuse. Hell, its still illegal EVEN if you already own the song. Jewpin said it best when he said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewpinthethird
IT IS STEALING
THATS IT!!!

The musci industry takes over kazaa or makes a download thingy and gives demos of every song known to man, and then when we hear a song that we like we get the info and buy a cd with that song and other songs on it and they make it, then ship it to use for like a dollar plaus 14 for the cd. burnable cd's are dirt cheap these days and they could make millions, while giving almost everyone what they want. if you don't want to buy a cd, listen to the demo's

oh and i welcome any flaming about this cause i think its somewhat stupid myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by altairian
Um, it's perfectly legal to download an mp3 of a song that you have on a legal cd. It's totally legal to make 800 copies of your favorite cd if you want.

Actually I believe that you can download anything you want, but you're supposed to delete anything you don't own the rights to within 24 or 48 hours after downloading it (you know, demo the product ). At least that's how it works with game ROMs, I would assume the same to be true for music, or at least something similar.
i tihnk you're right, so we all file share on kazaa, burn the song to a disc, delete the downloaded song from the database, and no ones the wiser.

BUAHAHAHAH!!!!

ok i'll shut up now
dontcareaboutmyid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 10:15 AM   #12
altairian
FFR Player

yes, that would be how smart people avoid getting caught... that's still illegal though
Reach: there was this bee. i hate bee\'s...i tryed to kill it, but then it didn\'t die and it started making weird noises so i was like oh (#$% hes gonna sting me. i started running but i triped over some rock and rolled down a hill into the river.
Old 11-26-2003, 11:26 AM   #13
dontcareaboutmyid
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to dontcareaboutmyid Send a message via Yahoo to dontcareaboutmyid

who cares

i'd like to see them prove that i've downloaded nonexsistant music on my computer.

even though i don'tuse kazaa.

yet.
Old 11-26-2003, 11:30 AM   #14
DaynieBurger
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to DaynieBurger Send a message via Yahoo to DaynieBurger

http://www.mediagab.com/RIAA_PSA.asp

Fear the RIAA!
DaynieBurger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 11:34 AM   #15
dontcareaboutmyid
FFR Player

lol that was funny as all hell

*goes out to buy a shot gun*
Old 11-26-2003, 11:45 AM   #16
ultimategamer
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by altairian

ok, for one dling stuff and deleting it w/in 24 or 48 hours is a myth. Its not like you can take a gta 3 from best buy and give it back w/in a day and say you were demoing it. illegal.

for 2, this is one of the more contraversial topics. The way the law is worded you are allowed to have backup of the media you own, however the trick here is that you hafta make the backup copies yourself. For example, if you own a video game, you can't dl a rom of the net thats illegal, but you can rip your own roms and store it on your computer. The same thing goes for music. You can make 12783312 copies of a music cd, however you must copy them yourself; you cannot dl other people's backup copies off the net. I could bring up the law itself but its a big hassle and i don't really wanna go through it.
ultimategamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 11:46 AM   #17
dontcareaboutmyid
FFR Player

sure its a myth, but it works
Old 11-26-2003, 12:15 PM   #18
altairian
FFR Player

ah yes but then we get in to the fun "what if"s like, what if you aren't able to copy the cd yourself so you have a friend make the backup for you and give it to you? legal or no? hehe =)
Old 11-26-2003, 12:57 PM   #19
Arch0wl
Banned
FFR Simfile Author

Squarebear seems to have a pretty strong take on this.

The thing I hate about the RIAA, is they are just defending the big music producers.

Mainstream.

MTV trash.

They absolutely don't care about ANYTHING in the electronic genre at all (EXCEPT MAYBE PAUL OAKENFOLD AND DJ SAMMY AND PAUL VAN DYKE OMG MG OMG OMG OMG`1!111!!!11), and they especially don't care about the underground scenes(i.e. anything not on mtv). You can pirate any underground music you want but HO HO HO download a Britney Spears song and now they're MEGA-RIAA, WITH LASER BEAM TURRETS STATIONED ON THEIR SHOULDERS TO SPIT OUT LAWSUITS LIKE NO TOMORROW
Arch0wl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 12:59 PM   #20
zajac
aka uAnimals
FFR Music Producer

Send a message via MSN to zajac

ya.....if we dont buy cd's from...ohhh.... britney spears...for example.... she will not be able to afford an SX5 Jet....she will have to get an SX4 Jet.....that one doesn't have remote for the surround sound DVD system...... poor britney...THAT is why we MUST buy cd's from artists...........................................
zajac is offline   Reply With Quote