Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Stepmania > Simulator Files
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2009, 02:29 PM   #121
Gundam-Dude
`~`
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: Rebound Vibrajacking Pack Finale! (Submissions)

Although true that if you step on 0.3x rate you will be able to hear and layer more accurate, however you must keep in mind that all these files are being played on 1.0x rate or higher. If you're too accurate with layering, you're going to end up semi-overlayering and making awkward-to-hit patterns and bursts.

There's no point in layering something you can't hear on 1.0x rate when you can only hear it once you've lowered the rate, which no one will do unless they're reviewing your file.

This is why your previous submission was rejected. You focused way too much on pitch relevancy and accuracy that you completely ignored the overall file as a whole. It was way too boring and generic to even play through despite being "accurate" as you put it. Files must be enjoyable or fun in a way in order to be replayable. You can't get even more generic than a file comprised of all 8th note/16th note stream that goes to a repetitive song.

(Download My Magnum Opus, Solo Kpop Pack!)

My Simfiles (4key & 6key)
Gundam-Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 02:40 PM   #122
MetzgerSM
FFR Player

thanks alot to give me advices how to make my files better
I only make my Clouds over California file more accurate and the solo is a bit overstepped, but the jacks are fine I think
After that I step my Black Metal file further, which is not as generic and repetitive as my A Parenthesis in Eternity file I stepped like 2k steps yet, so it doesn't take that long until i finish it
MetzgerSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 03:43 PM   #123
masuat
FFR Player

How to create FUN AND REPLAYABLE steps fffffff...
masuat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 06:15 PM   #124
Gundam-Dude
`~`

(ninzaburo) Dragonlady
Blue pretty much covered this. Look at his notes. Rejected

(Dossar) Grind4
As "accurate" you tried to make it there was way too much one hand bias and awkward-to-hit patterns. I found absolutely no replay value in this file other than the scoring factor. Also, terrible song choice. Rejected

(Rogdor) Boomstick
Nice gimmicks however file was way too ****ing boring and generic. I tried not to quit out, rofl. Rejected

(Dossar + Samurai7694) Kiranger
Quit out. What the **** was this. Rejected

(Moches) Programmed Sun
Rejected from Xoon 5 but I'll accept here. Accepted

(Haru-ko) Artificial Children
File was pretty boring and generic despite having some colour theory. Hmmmm 192nd usage. Looks like someone is copying my stepping style, rofl. Rejected

(Alexdestructions vs Bynary Fission) 888 V2
Same as my Xoon 5 review.

Quote:
At least this time you managed to make me sit through the file. Measure 59, that burst is complete aids. Measures 63, 66, 71, 82-83, more aids. OK scoring file but this is not pack worthy material. Rejected
(Rodgor) Vanessa
Didn't really need a restep IMO. Scylaax's file was good. Hands and mines were overused. The polyrhythms weren't really necessary either and ruin the file. Rejected

(Rogdor) Bloomin' Dying
lmfao you stepped this MAD. Your hold usage was poor, inconsistent and all over the place. Layering is decent but needs work in areas. The beginning took way too long before arrows came up. You could've at least stepped the vocals or something in the beginning or cut the beginning of the song off. Rejected

(Dossar) U3 Tune
Song choice was pretty generic which makes for a generic file. Found absolutely no fun or replay factor in this file. Pretty much look at Blue's notes for things to fix up but even so I doubt this is pack worthy material even with fixes. This song did not warrant any hands or quad usage because the song itself wasn't very dominant to begin with. Those quads were useless and don't add/emphasize anything in the song. Rejected

(_.Spitfire._) Bag
lmfao what the **** was with that gigantic BPM. I have to admit though, that gimmick was very unique and I've never actually seen this done before. Makes a creative but good joke file. Accepted

Old 12-16-2009, 08:39 PM   #125
i love you
Live a wonderful life~

Okay, time for a HUGE update. Check back into this thread within the next hour or two.
i love you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 09:24 PM   #126
Gundam-Dude
`~`

Only because you asked nicely Will review other files later tonight or tomorrow

(Masuat) Digital Emotions
Overall, file is well structured and enjoyable. In-depth review that answers your questions is located below this review but to summarize, Accepted. Sending in a fix in regards to the details listed below are optional.

Quote:
1. The opening sequence. Does stepping nothing here seem right? The lone telephone beeps could be stepped but as a player I probably wouldn't want to bother to hit them; I'd rather wait until the actual steps come. I also think the repeating long tones makes a nice dualism with the tone at the very end but that in itself is questionable so.
Takes a little while to finally start so I'd say start the file off at Measure 8 since a beat kicks in and it's no longer just silence. You don't have to step the phone noises if you don't want to (it's not really necessary in this case).

Quote:
2. The doubles everywhere. Should they be singles? I feel that it just "feels better" when the claps and drums are doubles because they just sound prominent enough to warrant them. Also I really hate placing arbitrary steps and with a complete lack of PR to go on with these claps and drums, I'd be at a loss where to throw down single notes.
Doubles are perfectly fine/acceptable as they are since they go to bass and percussion.

Quote:
3. The 48th bursts. AIDS or not? It could possibly make the file a lot more repetitive to change them into straight L-R rolls, but I don't want to make it any more repetitive than it already is. Also I wouldn't be able to change the rolls layered within the short freeze sections and whatnot. Then again, the bursts as they are now could be really gay to hit, and in my own ~stepman philosophy~, that is the greatest crime.
Patterns are somewhat awkward to hit. Personally, I'd use [1][2][3][4] rather than [1][3][2][4] to keep it straightforward. Measure 25, the 48ths are awkward to hit here since you have a jump placement with a hold on the 16th making it the pattern more awkward than it already is.

Quote:
4. The accent freezes at 69 seconds. Keep, toss, or regular notes? The set of sounds feels pretty prominent there and although I didn't consistently layer the previous sounds, this segway to a new part of the file can work with it I think.
The holds aren't needed here. First playthrough on your file, I couldn't figure out what those holds went to until I looked at it in the editor. The sound you're layering is masked by bass+percussion so just leave them as normal notes. That sound you're layering consistently plays throughout the song faintly so having just one section of your file where you decided to layer in the holds that follow it just because it becomes slightly more prominent leaves a slight inconsistency.

Quote:
5. Cymbal notes during the long phone tones. Keep or toss? This is definitely questionable since the cymbals are pretty obvious even outside of the phone tones, but I am just OCD when it comes to layering.
Acceptable as they are. The trills aren't fast in the first place and you're constantly following percussion for the whole file so the jumps are fine.

Quote:
6. The freezes at 78 seconds. Okay as freezes or not? no details lal
You layered the buzzing noise with 64ths so even if it is a short buzzing noise, it's better to keep it consistent throughout the whole song. Substitute the freeze with 64ths IMO. The song isn't fast to begin with so a short 64th roll wouldn't hurt and it'd be complimenting the other buzzing noises you layered.

Quote:
8. The freeze at the end. Should it be shortened? I want to make sure people have time to prepare for the wall immediately afterwards.
Hold is fine the way it is. If you're really concerned about this, shorten it a bit more.

Quote:
9. The ending mines. Too close to the wall? It's hard to think of where else this could go because I really like the tie-in with the beginning of the file where the tone is also this set of mines, and I really prefer the symmetry of 232323 in the beginning as opposed to say 131313 for the sake of making it a little easier to avoid at the end.
It's close to the 64ths but avoidable. Fine the way it is.

Last edited by Gundam-Dude; 12-16-2009 at 09:27 PM..
Old 12-16-2009, 11:03 PM   #127
t-rogdor
tane orb
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to t-rogdor

Rebound-

When looking at Bloomin' Dying, could you look at v1 so as to avoid confusion?

I sent in a v2 because I thought everyone had reviewed it.
I saw a flyer on a bulletin board at school asking for high-functioning aspergers/autism people to participate in some kind of experiment, and all I could think was, that sounds like a great place to meet girls.
t-rogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 11:23 PM   #128
operationstrawbarry
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to operationstrawbarry Send a message via MSN to operationstrawbarry

I think Ill send my Knife and Babylon Skorcher file here. I dont know where else they can go.

There is no theme to the two songs, just 2 normally stepped breakcore songs that were rejected from Xoon5.

Unless theres another pack out there that accepts normal stepped files.

Last edited by operationstrawbarry; 12-16-2009 at 11:30 PM..
operationstrawbarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 12:29 PM   #129
SKG_Scintill
Spun a twirly fruitcake,
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Hey, I sent something as well, where's my file?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluguerilla
So Sexy Robotnik (SKG_Scintill) {.0001/10} [--]
___
. RHYTHMS PR LAYERING
. ZOMG I HAD TO QUIT OUT TERRIBLE
SKG_Scintill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 12:46 AM   #130
masuat
FFR Player

Am on a trip for 2 weeks on Friday; I think I'll have very limited computer access for the duration. I'll check back for updates. Happy holidays
masuat is offline   Reply With Quote