Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Flash Flash Revolution > Brag Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2017, 02:54 PM   #1
A2P
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to A2P
Default 4k to 6k Transition guide!

So, as a 13-year veteran of Stepmania, Dance Dance Revolution, and rhythm games in general, I've recently been learning how to play Solo. Lemme tell ya...it's awesome! However, I can understand it can be intimidating to learn at first. Those 2 extra fingers really change the step game, and it may take a while to become used to it. I'm still gradually learning myself, so right now is the perfect time for me to write this, since I am learning myself.

Step 1 - Don't compete; Learn

No matter what skill level you are at 4k, 6k is a completely different game. There are some similarities, but your muscle memory won't be used to the play styles and patterns, especially with 12 and 56 patterns. This is the truth - right now, you are a rookie. It's pointless to compete with expert players at the beginning of your journey. Take this time to learn how 6k really works, and look at your own scores as an indicator for improvement.

Step 2 - Ease into it by playing easier files

Since you are a 6k rookie, you may need to play very easy files in order to truly see what your learning curve is. I would recommend downloading Patashu's Solo Beginner pack. Not only are the files and song selections solid, Patashu was nice enough to write charts for all difficulty levels. It really helped me ease into my own transition while I was learning.

Step 3 - Slow that scroll down!

I've noticed that I couldn't quite get the hang of Solo right away. When I slowed down my CMod however, the notes really were easier to read and time. My personal formula is

4key Speed-100

So if you read at C750 on 4k, set your scroll speed to C650 on 6k. This isn't an absolute principle; you can adjust your own formula to a higher or lower difference. The key here is to learn what speed you're comfortable with.

Step 4 - Don't get discouraged!

6k has a learning curve like everything else. It's easy to get frustrated learning 6k. I sure did! But then, kinx told me something that reasonated with me and helped me tremendously. He told me, that the expert players I was striving to compete with, were like the Michael Jordan's of Solo. That gave me hope, because I then realized that I shouldn't care how good Solo MJ was, but rather I should examine my own improvements by PRACTICING. It's an easy lesson to forget, but it's an important one to remember.

Step 5 - Have fun!

Remember why we're all here. We're all here in this community because we enjoy playing rhythm games. Not only do we temper our precision, but we get to jam out to some good music while doing it. No matter how your transition is going, never forget how much fun these games are. <3
A2P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-5-2017, 11:35 PM   #2
my_password_is_butts
FFR Player

Default Re: 4k to 6k Transition guide!

solo rulz
Old 05-6-2017, 01:20 PM   #3
ggsnipes
FFR Player

Send a message via Skype™ to ggsnipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by my_password_is_butts View Post
solo rulz
indeed

"Spy is still a fucking dick" - Halogen 2k16, probably

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoshL View Post
remember, soul is the best solo player on ffr
ggsnipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-6-2017, 02:19 PM   #4
Travis_Flesher
Champion
FFR Veteran

has any of u guys been playing solo for a while and are really good at it? just curious, 6k is cool i haven't played much but am going to start soon. also is there any 8key stuff out there? also a2p you may want to note that there is an issue for some people (me being one of them) where multikey presses won't register in solo with most spread configuration but i found that ASD KL: does perfectly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinglesberry View Post
Step 6: Play 7k
is that a real thing dingle?

Last edited by Travis_Flesher; 05-6-2017 at 02:47 PM..
Travis_Flesher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-6-2017, 02:20 PM   #5
Dinglesberry
longing
FFR Veteran

Step 6: Play 7k instead because it's the real mans game, 6k is for babies with no thumbs
Dinglesberry is offline   Reply With Quote