Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2005, 08:20 AM   #1
Tasselfoot
Retired BOSS
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Tasselfoot Send a message via MSN to Tasselfoot Send a message via Skype™ to Tasselfoot
Default D&D Adventure starting Friday, 7pm.

This topic: http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/...wtopic&t=35715 led me think about starting an online D&D group. I'd be looking for 4-6 dedicated players to meet about once a week for 4-8 hours.

I've been playing (and DMing) D&D since 2nd edition. I started playing 10 years ago, in 1995. I've DMed off and on since about 7 or 8 years ago.

The campaign would be under 3rd edition rules (I don't have the 3.5 core books). I have about 20 different companion manuals also, including about 8 different monsterous manuals. Basically, you name a standard rulebook, I have it. Planar Handbook, Psionic Handbook, every class Handbook, Epic Level Handbook, etc etc etc.

The game would run in an AIM chatroom, as it is easy to roll dice in there. I would also be doing other rolling on my desk, as there are plenty of times when a DM doesn't want the players to know the rolls.

I'd expect a high level of role-playing, as retarded acting towards NPCs will most certainly reflect poorly on you and your group. Also, if you're an ogre fighter with 6 intelligence and come up to the solution to a puzzle, not only will I ignore it, I'll make sure to change the solution so whoever the "smarter" players are can't just repeat whatever you said.

I've always allowed for alot of flexibility in my games when I've DMed. I'm not one to spend 10 hours creating an adventure before a session (like some DMs I've played with). I've found that putting an hour or two into rolling out the main enemies and writing down the details of the plot are enough, plus it allows for greater flexibility for the players. Basically, if a DM spends 10 hours on something, and you decide you want to go somewhere else.... not only won't they be pleased, they'll find ways to force you to do what they want (I know this from experience). My way, you're free to do what you want.

Finally, we'll be playing in the realm of Dragonlance, on the planet Krynn. Surprised? You shouldn't be... my namesame comes from Dragonlance, and its the world that I am extremely knowledgeable aboutl. I will have to pick up the Dragonlance setting rulebook, as I don't have it for some reason.

If there are any other questions, please let me know. Also, please list your playing experience. If there are alot of people interested, I'll have to find a way to limit it, or otherwise make it so there aren't a retarded amount of people in the campaign. Because that isn't realistic. I've played in a campaign with 9 players... not only does not everyone show up most of the time, there are WAY too many people acting and doing random crap at the same time, too many people goofing off and not paying attention, and nothing gets accomplished.

Finally, if you've never played D&D before.... I'd say that playing a game online would be very difficult. I'll be assuming that whoever plays has a strong knowledge of the Players Handbook and understands the basic nuances of the game. In fact, I'd recommend every player have a copy of the Players Handbook. It would make my life 10x easer.
Old 09-25-2005, 10:12 AM   #2
180digi
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to 180digi
Default RE: Anyone interested in an online D&D adventure?

That would be cool Tasselfoot.. Ive been wanting to play D&D for a while now but i dont have the money at the moment to buy all the new versions of the player manual, monster book, DM guide, scenario books, and all the other manuals.. probably cost hundreds of dollars to get them all. Ive never actually played it before, but i have the v. 2.5 player's manual (i think thats the one) and ive read through a lot of it. Its not like im completely in the dark, ive played EQ for 2 years and i know how most of these roleplay RPGs go. If you want, Tasselfoot, you can pm me for my AIM name.
Old 09-25-2005, 10:29 AM   #3
Tasselfoot
Retired BOSS

Send a message via AIM to Tasselfoot Send a message via MSN to Tasselfoot Send a message via Skype™ to Tasselfoot

1. Your AIM is listed in every post you make... DSpectre69, unless that has changed. Which hurts your credibility towards being a logical thinker, a skill KEY to D&D.

2. There was never a version 2.5. If you have a PM from v2, there should be things like Thaco and Armor Classes that get stronger the lower the number. The book would also be 10+ years old, as 3rd edition came out some where 6-8 years ago... More likely, you have v3.5, which came out about 3 years ago, that had some fixes to some unbalances in 3rd edition, and runs under the same 3rd edition rules. I bought my books before then, so I don't have 3.5, just 3.

3. Yes, the total value of the D&D books I have is probably $500+. But, the normal player has no need for books past the PM, and MAYBE the DMG.

4. I don't see how EQ has any bearing on D&D. EQ is a MMORPG that rewards hack and slash fighting with no end in sight, or camping for hours on end for the spawning of rare artifacts. That isn't D&D.

With all that said, if we have spaces available, and get this off the ground, I will take those who I feel are not only most capable of playing (ie: most current experience), but also those who have the free time to play, the willingness to play regularly, and those who have the desire to have fun and learn.
Old 09-25-2005, 10:41 AM   #4
Tasuke
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Tasuke Send a message via MSN to Tasuke

So how long have you been a nerd Tass?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasselfoot
I started playing 10 years ago, in 1995. I've DMed off and on since about 7 or 8 years ago.
Oh
Old 09-25-2005, 10:52 AM   #5
180digi
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to 180digi

1. My mistake.

2. Youre probably right. It doesnt say on this book what the exact version is but i figured it would be somewhere around 2.5-3.0 because its older than the ones in the stores. Now that i actually have it in my hand it says its from the year 2000.

4. I meant that i have knowledge of the type of things that happen in an RPG. which is to say that im not completely ignorant of the rules of a fantasy game.
Old 09-25-2005, 10:52 AM   #6
Tasselfoot
Retired BOSS

I've been a nerd my whole life Tasuke... the most "nerdy" manifestation of it could be viewed through D&D, which I started playing in 6th grade. 94 or 95.

I could still kick your ass though. My +4 longsword is 1337.
Old 09-25-2005, 11:29 AM   #7
JurseyRider734
lil j the bad b-word
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to JurseyRider734 Send a message via Skype™ to JurseyRider734

Haha get a life.

lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrobean View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JurseyRider734
the fact that you're resorting to threatening physical violence says a lot anyway.
Just that you're a piece of shit who can't see reason and instead deserves a fucking beating.
JurseyRider734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 11:31 AM   #8
Omeganitros
auauauau
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Omeganitros

Fundamental flaw, Jurs: You're a girl, and you think you have better things to do than play this game.

I would totally join up for this Tass, except all I have is Roleplaying experience. I've never played the game.
Omeganitros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 11:32 AM   #9
JurseyRider734
lil j the bad b-word
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to JurseyRider734 Send a message via Skype™ to JurseyRider734

This is true, Omega. I'd rather play in a septic tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrobean View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JurseyRider734
the fact that you're resorting to threatening physical violence says a lot anyway.
Just that you're a piece of shit who can't see reason and instead deserves a fucking beating.
JurseyRider734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 11:46 AM   #10
QreepyBORIS
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to QreepyBORIS Send a message via MSN to QreepyBORIS

We'd rather you play in a septic tank, too. Shoo.

I would love to do this, but I don't have 4-8 hours to dedicate every week. D:

Signature subject to change.

THE ZERRRRRG.
QreepyBORIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 11:51 AM   #11
Kenzya
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Kenzya

I played for a year. Then stopped.. I never really played with friends, just those 30 year old guys who have nothing better to do. The one thing I've always wanted to do though was play with friends.. those guys were dicks :/

So, depending on the time, I would most likely be able to participate.
Kenzya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 11:53 AM   #12
User6773

It's really cool how you run into threads just so you can insult the people posting there, Jursey.

Warning #1 for flaming. I'm getting tired of this kind of behaviour coming from you.
Old 09-25-2005, 12:06 PM   #13
Torlock
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Torlock

If we were to do this in the evenings I could definitely be in. I've been playing for about a year. I haven't yet been able to play in the Dragonlance setting, but I've been looking for a chance to for awhile. Unless there are unforseen complications I'm in.
Old 09-25-2005, 01:37 PM   #14
roopert
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to roopert

I put on my robe and wizard hat.
Old 09-25-2005, 02:49 PM   #15
GuidoHunter
is against custom titles
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to GuidoHunter Send a message via Skype™ to GuidoHunter

I think I'm in. My only D&D experience was with my friends who were also new to D&D, where there was little Role Playing, but we got the basics of the game down. I even have my character sheet with me.

I also have experience RP'ing in AOL chat rooms (olol hi seventh grade. My AIM SN of Ares113 came from when I did Xena roleplaying)

The only obstacle I can foresee is the four to eight hours in a sitting. Usually I can manage that on weekends, but sometimes I won't, so what's the deal if someone can't make it?

--Guido

http://andy.mikee385.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandiagod View Post
Quote:
She has an asshole, in other pics you can see a diaper taped to her dead twin's back.
Sentences I thought I never would have to type.
GuidoHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 02:58 PM   #16
QreepyBORIS
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to QreepyBORIS Send a message via MSN to QreepyBORIS

Hah, in GURPS, we were allowed 100-point characters plus 15 points worth of negative character bonuses. I basically just spent all 115 points on money, dexterity, and intelligence, then bought him power gloves, spaceships, and all sorts of stuff like that. He could basically crush the pants off any other character made with that many points.

Signature subject to change.

THE ZERRRRRG.
QreepyBORIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 04:15 PM   #17
Tasselfoot
Retired BOSS

As far as time commitment, clearly we'll judge based upon who is in the campaign as to which day(s) we'll meet, and from when to when.

I'll also adjust the specific quests for each meeting based upon what I expect our timeframe to be.

Based upon what everyone has said so far, most of y'all are fairly new to D&D. Question: Who has the 3.0 or 3.5 version of the Players Handbook? It costs about 25 or 30 bucks new, or you could pick it up online used for probably half that, especially the 3.0, as its outdated. As I said, I'd like for everyone to have a copy of it, and if you want to be a spellcaster (mage, cleric, sorcerer, paladin...) you MUST have a copy of the book. Why? Spells are listed in the back of the book... and I'm not going to choose your spells for you. For fighters, its not nearly as important to have the book, but still very useful. There are alot of fighter moves that are explained in detail in the PH that you won't know you have the ability to do without reading it.

So, what I'd like done.... if you are interested in playing, fill out this form and PM it to me:

Specific D&D experience complete with types of quests, classes familiar with, how much role playing vs roll playing you've done:
General Role Playing experience (LARPs, AOL RPGs, etc):
Available times & Expected free time per week:
Type of character you're interested in playing (race & class):

Since y'all are fairly inexperienced, I'll ask that you keep your races to the general ones of the PH. Human, Elf, Half-Elf, Dwarf, Halfling, Gnome, Kender (last few are Dragonlance specific and differ from the races in other realms in small ways). Also to ONE class. After playing a dual-class in 3.0, I realized that not only is it VERY hard to play, its unbalanced... and not in the good way. Its extremely weak. So, stick to one class: Fighter, Paladin, Thief, Mage, Sorcerer, Cleric, Paladin, Rogue, Monk... I may be missing 1 or 2 races/classes, this is off the top of my head. I need to make sure that not all of you want to be Dwarven Fighters or Mages, etc. A strong party has variety. Maybe 2 Fighters, 2 Mages, 1 Cleric, 1 Rogue. Something like that.

If you need examples of what each race/class can do, you can probably search and find it online. I'm actually asking some of my D&D buddies if they have a pdf version of the PH, in which case, I can just e-mail it to all of you and you don't have to buy it (although I still recommend it).

Any questions can be asked in the PM or here.
Old 09-25-2005, 06:20 PM   #18
GuidoHunter
is against custom titles
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

I dual-classed my Dwarven fighter into a cleric just because I had run out of fighter skills and feats. Plus, being able to heal is always cool.

As an example of why there aren't any good fighter skills, I have an 11 skill mod in crafting. Man, can I make some beautiful baskets from nothing but the stone in the walls.

By the way, level 4. 18/13/18/16/11/6.

--Guido

Quote:
Quote:
She has an asshole, in other pics you can see a diaper taped to her dead twin's back.
Old 09-25-2005, 06:24 PM   #19
Pumble
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Pumble

Here's the extent of my knowledge of D&D: You roll dice and it does stuff.

If someone does a more casual D&D get together i might be interested.

And if they had the patience to teach me what to do.
Old 09-25-2005, 06:37 PM   #20
GuidoHunter
is against custom titles
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasselfoot
role playing vs roll playing
I'm going to take a stab at what this means. Roll playing meaning just playing the game without referencing your comrades by their characters, discussing the mechanics of the game and other things your characters wouldn't be doing explicitly, etc., while role playing meaning getting really immersed in the characters' world?

--Guido

Quote:
Quote: